General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Subaru Impreza import , reliable? - Got it now

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza import , reliable? - Got it now

Been offered a Subaru Impreza wagon import for a swap with my 325i.

Its done 85k has had the boost upped to i think he said around 17psi, full exhaust and decat everything else std. He said it had been mapped with these mods and for uk fuel.

What sort of power will it be making and will it be reliable? Can the clutch and drivetrain handle that power ok?

I like my 325i but have always fancied something turbod as ive never had a turbod car. Will probably keep it for a few months and then sell it on.

just worried about it being a unreliable as i will be using as my daily hack

Last edited by Sunil_FiestaRS1800; 16-04-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should be reliable enough. Who did the remap? Being a wagon it'll have the smaller turbo than the saloons. Is it a wrx?
Old 14-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Should be reliable enough. Who did the remap? Being a wagon it'll have the smaller turbo than the saloons. Is it a wrx?

Yea its a wrx.

not sure where remap was done

What sort of power will it putting it out? If its slower than my 325i which are 197 std then im going to be dissapointed

Also its been converted to a single coilpack for some reason

Last edited by Sunil_FiestaRS1800; 14-04-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At a guess without knowing who mapped it I'd say 260bhp if it's still running the TD04, if's been changed to the TD05 it'll be nearer 280bhp. It shouldn't feel slow though.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had a WRX wagon import about 7 years ago,, it was unreliable, it would be perfect then out of the blue it just would conk out for no reason at all and refuse to start for a hour or so, until the AA would turn up then it would be perfect again, i spent a fortune on replacement sensors and got fed up with it and sold it on privately, LOL, and bought a Twin turbo Supra.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:27 AM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

I have always fancied a Scoob Wagon for my dogs. Been told they are horrific on fuel though? Out of interest, whats your 325i like on fuel? I always thought the 325i's were 170bhp and the 328i's 192bhp......talking about the E36 shape?
Old 14-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by godzilla
I have always fancied a Scoob Wagon for my dogs. Been told they are horrific on fuel though? Out of interest, whats your 325i like on fuel? I always thought the 325i's were 170bhp and the 328i's 192bhp......talking about the E36 shape?

Yea im worried its going to bad on fuel. Probably only to keep it a few months though then sell it on. Only really getting as ive always fancies a 4wd turbo car so this will get it oout my system

Yea E36, 325i and 328i are both 197 std. 328i has more low end torque but less high end power. If you put a 325i inlet on a 328i though you lose a bit of low end but gain alot in the high end taking it over 200bhp apparently.

My 325i is loverly to drive , not brillant on fuel on short runs but on the motorway its spot on.

Trending Topics

Old 14-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

They aren't what I'd call horrific on fuel. To be honest probably the same as a 325.

I got low 20's mpg out of mine.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Been offered a Subaru Impreza wagon import for a swap with my 325i.

Its done 85k has had the boost upped to i think he said around 17psi, full exhaust and decat everything else std. He said it had been mapped with these mods and for uk fuel.

What sort of power will it be making and will it be reliable? Can the clutch and drivetrain handle that power ok?

I like my 325i but have always fancied something turbod as ive never had a turbod car. Will probably keep it for a few months and then sell it on.

just worried about it being a unreliable as i will be using as my daily hack
If the remap has been carried out correctly then yes it should be very reliable, but that is the key. If it's been done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing then that is what causes the problems on these cars given the RON difference between UK and Jap-spec fuel.

As for the drivetrain coping with that sort of power, hell yes! No problems there at all.

Fuel-wise, it's only bad if you rag it. Which you will! But you don't have to all the time. If you want to see high 20's+, you can...

I would expect it to be running around 260bhp and be a hell of a lot faster than a 325i!
Old 14-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by Mike C
If the remap has been carried out correctly then yes it should be very reliable, but that is the key. If it's been done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing then that is what causes the problems on these cars given the RON difference between UK and Jap-spec fuel.

As for the drivetrain coping with that sort of power, hell yes! No problems there at all.

Fuel-wise, it's only bad if you rag it. Which you will! But you don't have to all the time. If you want to see high 20's+, you can...

I would expect it to be running around 260bhp and be a hell of a lot faster than a 325i!

Cheers mate sounds like it should be good then. What are the clutches like, will it give up if im launching alot or are they up to the job?
Old 14-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Should be ok as long as you have a reasonable amount of mechanical sympathy.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Should be ok as long as you have a reasonable amount of mechanical sympathy.

So no 6k dropping the clutch pedal kinda of thing then lol
Old 14-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

So no 6k dropping the clutch pedal kinda of thing then lol
No. Lol

The 'Classic' shape Imprezas have pretty weak transmissions/drivetrains.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by Alan_D
No. Lol

what parts are the weak link, diff,box,clutch??
Old 14-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Mike C
The Special One

No. Lol

For sub-300bhp, it's up to the task. For much more than that it'd be wise to uprate, whereas later models will take a hell of a lot more!

Sunil, yeah that's it mate, just be semi-sensible and you should be OK
Old 14-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

For sub-300bhp, it's up to the task. For much more than that it'd be wise to uprate, whereas later models will take a hell of a lot more!

Sunil, yeah that's it mate, just be semi-sensible and you should be OK
The newage cars are the complete opposite - totally over-engineered! Still, no point complaining about that.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

what parts are the weak link, diff,box,clutch??
All equally weak.

But as said, they'd be fine for under 300bhp I suppose.
Old 14-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Im not planning on upping the power anymore than it has as i dont want to spend loads on it. The 260 or whatever its runnning should keep me entertained for awhile
Old 14-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I've got full running gear, all good nice, low mileage for a classic WRX wagon, shame it's all auto though, lol
Old 14-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

I've got full running gear, all good nice, low mileage for a classic WRX wagon, shame it's all auto though, lol
i know someone with an auto that abuses his to the max. He might be interested. Pm me what you have and a price and ill pass it on to him.
Old 16-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Got the Subaru yesterday, well pleased with it. Doesnt 'feel fast' but when you look at the speedo its shifting. Had no MOT so booked it straight in and it passed with just an adivisory on the front tyres, everything else was perfect and it is mint underneath.

Not to keen on the wheels and stickers and defo dont like the 'lexus' rear lights it has. Not worth trying to take the stickers off though as it would probably ruin the paint, on the look out for some std rear lights though.

Old 16-04-2009, 10:31 AM
gingerman
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

how much was that?
looks good
Old 16-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by gingerman
how much was that?
looks good
Sold for Ł1800 on ebay with no mot. Bloke messed him about so i done a deal with him for my 325i . I done an oil/filter change yeterday straight after the mot. Going to do cambelt aswell and then keep it for a month or two and put it up for sale. Been offered 2k today by someone at my work but i want to enjoy it for a bit before i get rid
Old 16-04-2009, 11:14 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watch for big end noise
Old 16-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Fuck would of got it if it didnt have an MOT! No matter if it passed the day after!

I would never get a car without MOT like that, only a shitter
Old 16-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
watch for big end noise
Common Problem?

Originally Posted by Munch
Fuck would of got it if it didnt have an MOT! No matter if it passed the day after!

I would never get a car without MOT like that, only a shitter
MOT ran out last week, bloke couldnt get it passed a new one as it has a Decat and he hadnt had the time to swap the cat back on. We done a deal that if it didnt pass the MOT then the swap was off so i was happy with that.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:56 AM
nuttynil
RS nutta

Looks like a nice little runaround you can remove stickers by applying a little heat with a heat gun till they bubble once hot slowly ease them off .........
Old 16-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Common Problem?

MOT ran out last week, bloke couldnt get it passed a new one as it has a Decat and he hadnt had the time to swap the cat back on. We done a deal that if it didnt pass the MOT then the swap was off so i was happy with that.

fair enough, i would of asked for the Sheet of paper saying what it failed on first...
Old 16-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by nuttynil
Looks like a nice little runaround you can remove stickers by applying a little heat with a heat gun till they bubble once hot slowly ease them off .........

Yea i was thinking that but if i do take them off and it leaves the outlines it will look crap
Old 16-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Rupean

Originally Posted by Steve the Plumber
We had a WRX wagon import about 7 years ago,, it was unreliable, it would be perfect then out of the blue it just would conk out for no reason at all and refuse to start for a hour or so, until the AA would turn up then it would be perfect again, i spent a fortune on replacement sensors and got fed up with it and sold it on privately, LOL, and bought a Twin turbo Supra.

That will have been the standard fuel pump not a sensor, its a known problem on them that when the pump starts dying it does this, best too uprated it too a walbro one.

other then that there reliable if serviced and gets looked after.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by Rupean
That will have been the standard fuel pump not a sensor, its a known problem on them that when the pump starts dying it does this, best too uprated it too a walbro one.

other then that there reliable if serviced and gets looked after.

Good to know, mine has had a new FSE fuel pump and has some fuel pressure regulator thingy aswell.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:27 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Yea i was thinking that but if i do take them off and it leaves the outlines it will look crap

Its a painfull job mate but well worth it!

Get a hairdryer and keep it about 1" away from the sticker, say your starting at the top. Get an old credit card, club card or something alike and after 2 mins or so push the card onto the part you have the hairdryer on, whilst keeping hairdryer going. It should start to peel off, then work your way along with the hairdryer doing the same thing. Once finished if any outlines are left use some Autoglym Tar remover by working it in to the outlines in circular motions. Once this is done use some Safe-Cut, think its made by Turtle Wax, comes in a yellow bottle and can be bought from Halfords. Go over all the parts you have used the Tar remover on. Then wax the entire car using a good wax such as Auto Glym Super. It will be a good 3-4 hours work but will look the part and re-sale will go up as you will have a gleaming car with no 'boyracer' stickers.........Well worth the time mate.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Its a painfull job mate but well worth it!

Get a hairdryer and keep it about 1" away from the sticker, say your starting at the top. Get an old credit card, club card or something alike and after 2 mins or so push the card onto the part you have the hairdryer on, whilst keeping hairdryer going. It should start to peel off, then work your way along with the hairdryer doing the same thing. Once finished if any outlines are left use some Autoglym Tar remover by working it in to the outlines in circular motions. Once this is done use some Safe-Cut, think its made by Turtle Wax, comes in a yellow bottle and can be bought from Halfords. Go over all the parts you have used the Tar remover on. Then wax the entire car using a good wax such as Auto Glym Super. It will be a good 3-4 hours work but will look the part and re-sale will go up as you will have a gleaming car with no 'boyracer' stickers.........Well worth the time mate.
Cheers for the tips mate, might give it a go on one of the smaller stickers this weekend then if goes alright go for the whole lot.
Old 16-04-2009, 02:04 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with all imports, the ecu is setup for 100ron fuel, so if you use normal they det, but the det does not effect the pistons it moves the bang down the line to the weakest point the big ends. As it dets it twats the crank every now and again. over time knock knock.
Old 16-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

with all imports, the ecu is setup for 100ron fuel, so if you use normal they det, but the det does not effect the pistons it moves the bang down the line to the weakest point the big ends. As it dets it twats the crank every now and again. over time knock knock.

this one has been set up to run on 95ron when it was imported, first question i asked when i went to see it. So should be alright. I filled it with VPower and will keep running it on that.
Old 16-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

this one has been set up to run on 95ron when it was imported, first question i asked when i went to see it. So should be alright. I filled it with VPower and will keep running it on that.
Can't really go wrong then if you keep using V-Power to be on the safe side. How did he say it had been set up to run on 95 octane?
Old 16-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Can't really go wrong then if you keep using V-Power to be on the safe side. How did he say it had been set up to run on 95 octane?

said it had been chipped by the person who imported it intially.

Where is the ecu is there anyway i can tell if it defo has been done?
Old 16-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

said it had been chipped by the person who imported it intially.

Where is the ecu is there anyway i can tell if it defo has been done?
Passenger footwell under a metal plate. If you want it looked over and can get to Wycombe let me know It'll be good to see what ecu it has and if there is a chip in the external port.
Old 16-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Umi

Any pics of the 325 please
Old 16-04-2009, 03:08 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

LOL

Sure?

Cadbury's cholate pistons....

They got that name for a reason lol

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza import , reliable? - Got it now