General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What is the purpose of life? Your views...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009 | 06:43 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s
Just watching it now, seems good so far
i think he talks alot of sense! hes done a few good books aswell
Old 03-04-2009 | 08:48 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

The purpose of life is to get graped.

Benni.
Old 03-04-2009 | 08:52 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

does there have to be a purpose other than self reproduction to our lives? does a sheep have a purpose ? or a fish? were just another species thats evolved above the rest who do the same as many other species. mate, build homes, feed and care for our young until theyre big enough to fend for themselves then we die and so it goes on. eventually we'll die out and something else will evolve to dominate the earth should it still exist..
Old 03-04-2009 | 08:55 PM
westus1
Advanced PassionFord User

to eat all the banana's
if we didn't exist, who would eat all the banana's?
i thought it was obvious
Old 03-04-2009 | 09:05 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
to reproduce
I was thinking those exact same words, single cell organisms do it right through to the most complex beings (like humans) do it.

Animal instinct...the only reason we are asking questions is that through evolution we have become smarter and feel the need to know what, where, how and why (hence the creation of religion as a fake answer to these unanswerable Q's).....whereas dogs, cats and apes couldnt give a shit, they want to mate and Reproduce.

There are many BIG BIG questions about the universe that humans will never answer, its way too vast for our comprehension and we're damaging the planet faster than we're developing ways to travel into space so we're effectively doomed long term.....Just look at the history of the planet and the wipeout of the dinosaurs, the same can happen again a million times over before the planet dies and the sun bursts.....humans mean F all in the grand scheme of things....we are way way too insignificant and simple to ever understand the true forces behind the universe and what lies beyond.

I accept that, I also accept that when I die I become soil again as that's life...I can rest easy and have inner peace as I relaise what I am, what we all are.....a species of animal that got smart and wanted answers

I'm off for a spliff, this subject is heavy!!!!

Dan
Old 03-04-2009 | 09:14 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

your born and if your lucky
you eat
you grow
you damage yourself occasionally
if your really lucky you fall in love
if your unlucky you fall out of love
the rest of life is a struggle where you have to work hard mainly to line other peoples pockets and partly to survive in a manner better than your neighbours
then wen all that becomes too much for either your body or your mind ,,,, you die

if you werent lucky close to the time of birth you die before you get the chance to do all of the above or maybe its actually the other way round , you ARE lucky because you dont have to suffer all of the above ?

just the way i see it . and im not going to waste another minute wondering why im here just make the most of it whilst i can.
And eat bananas
Old 03-04-2009 | 09:18 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED

Too many bananas make you constipated.
Old 03-04-2009 | 10:02 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

What is the point of life?

To have a good time,

and even better memorys
Old 03-04-2009 | 10:21 PM
DazS1Turbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by brad
you eat
you grow
the rest of life is a struggle where you have to work hard mainly to line other peoples pockets and partly to survive in a manner better than your neighbours
then wen all that becomes too much for either your body or your mind ,,,, you die

if you werent lucky close to the time of birth you die before you get the chance to do all of the above or maybe its actually the other way round , you ARE lucky because you dont have to suffer all of the above ?

just the way i see it . and im not going to waste another minute wondering why im here just make the most of it whilst i can.
And eat bananas
Thats the meaning of life summed up there

Amen to that
Old 03-04-2009 | 10:46 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by brad
you eat
you grow

And eat bananas
spot on pal. Where ever we go when we die must be better than here, because no bugger comes back lol
Old 04-04-2009 | 12:09 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Originally Posted by cjwood555
There was no 'before' the big bang, because time is a dimension which was created (along with x/y/z dimensions) at the instant of the big bang. Yes there could be other stuff before/outside of our dimensions, but it's not really relevent to our world.

Take a line on a thin bit of paper - the line is 1 dimensional object, on 2 dimensional sheet of paper, existing in a 3 dimensional space. We exist in 4 dimensions and can observe the 1 dimensional line and manipulate it in all 4 dimensions, but as far as the line is concerned, it's still a line with length. The same could go for us and everything else in the 4d universe - superstring theory suggests that the universe actually works in 11 or 26 dimensions, so there are 'higher levels' of the universe that can move us around the room without us realising
Right, okay, so now I am left thinking do I not understand a word of it because I didn't go to college..... or is this the reason I didn't go to college....
Old 04-04-2009 | 12:10 AM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
Right, okay, so now I am left thinking do I not understand a word of it because I didn't go to college..... or is this the reason I didn't go to college....

fook me ure not alone in this, did my head in reading that
Old 04-04-2009 | 01:06 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

My belief in the meaning of life has changed over the years.

When i was a child i didnt really understand things and i was very afraid of death to the point where i used to spend hours night after night crying myself to sleep because i didnt want to die and have my "conciousness" end.

I kind of got taught all the religous stuff so progressed the idea of heaven and all that shit which made me feel more comfortable.

Im not religous now. too much shits happened in life for me to accept the bullshit church response of "its meant to have happened for a reason" rather than accepting that bad shit happens often for no good reason other than accident or some people are just nasty bastards.

Plus with all my illness and suicide attempts etc, im now content that pretty much that our purpose in life is merely survival of the species and that when we die, thats it.
Old 04-04-2009 | 09:59 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by cjwood555
There was no 'before' the big bang, because time is a dimension which was created (along with x/y/z dimensions) at the instant of the big bang. Yes there could be other stuff before/outside of our dimensions, but it's not really relevent to our world.

Take a line on a thin bit of paper - the line is 1 dimensional object, on 2 dimensional sheet of paper, existing in a 3 dimensional space. We exist in 4 dimensions and can observe the 1 dimensional line and manipulate it in all 4 dimensions, but as far as the line is concerned, it's still a line with length. The same could go for us and everything else in the 4d universe - superstring theory suggests that the universe actually works in 11 or 26 dimensions, so there are 'higher levels' of the universe that can move us around the room without us realising
Im really excited about what the Large Hadron Collider will discover although it may take several years for it to reach a conclusion, I hope that it will eventually show whether or not string theorists have been stringing us along i hope it will bring clarity at least

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 04-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2009 | 10:44 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

There is no "point or meaning" to life other than to reproduce and sustain the species at the top of the food ladder.

How can their be a "meaning" to life? Life is not a question or an action. The fact we have successfully evolved as a species means we must be resilient, inteligent (to a degree, required to adapt etc) and havea fierce drive to reproduce with the most fertile and healthy partners.

Two facts

1. you are born (this doesn't mean birth to me, it means creation, ie in ur mothers womb)
2. you die

Inbetween 1 and 2 is a time period and you are best to try and enjoy that as much as possible because everything else is irrelevant.

RW
Old 04-04-2009 | 01:04 PM
escos-jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Ive just had another bacon and egg sandwich which to be honest rivalled the one i had the other day.

Life is good
Old 04-04-2009 | 07:41 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by SillyFezzaMk1
I was thinking those exact same words, single cell organisms do it right through to the most complex beings (like humans) do it.

Animal instinct...the only reason we are asking questions is that through evolution we have become smarter and feel the need to know what, where, how and why (hence the creation of religion as a fake answer to these unanswerable Q's).....whereas dogs, cats and apes couldnt give a shit, they want to mate and Reproduce.

There are many BIG BIG questions about the universe that humans will never answer, its way too vast for our comprehension and we're damaging the planet faster than we're developing ways to travel into space so we're effectively doomed long term.....Just look at the history of the planet and the wipeout of the dinosaurs, the same can happen again a million times over before the planet dies and the sun bursts.....humans mean F all in the grand scheme of things....we are way way too insignificant and simple to ever understand the true forces behind the universe and what lies beyond.

I accept that, I also accept that when I die I become soil again as that's life...I can rest easy and have inner peace as I relaise what I am, what we all are.....a species of animal that got smart and wanted answers

I'm off for a spliff, this subject is heavy!!!!

Dan
Ahmen to that! Couldn't have put it better myself! Apart from the spliff part