General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Detonation Detection

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah i'm liking that, the fact that you teach it the characteristics of your engines background noise throughout RPM range is the most important factor in my mind.......... albeit a little retarded hey Chip?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlos G
Yeah i'm liking that, the fact that you teach it the characteristics of your engines background noise throughout RPM range is the most important factor in my mind.......... albeit a little retarded hey Chip?
Well, if the car's ignition timing is as retarded as your mind, you wont need detonation detection mate, just an EGT gauge
Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

lol
Thanks for politely correcting my error in the other thread
I thought the RPM in that eqaution was engine RPM not wheel RPM, hadnt really taken the time to think about it before i posted

But back to this thread, where would be a good place on the old CVH to fit a bosch knock sensor, and is this one ok to use?

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/BOSCH_K..._KNOCK_KIT.asp

Last edited by Karlos G; 02-04-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The knocklite looks interesting and good value, I'm leaning towards the Phorumla at the moment though.

From a mapping point of view, det cans are inadequate in that they can't be used to detect inaudiable det.

If the Phorumla has a spectrum analyser on screen, it should be possible to see any sudden changes/spikes. Sure, the overall amplitude and dominate frequency will change, but that should be reasonably progressive.

Rick.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Found it for Ł83 on ebay but need to buy the bosch sensor seperately for another Ł63, I think as a warning device (not for tuning purposes) on my RS it would be very useful as there are so many components that can fail causing lean running, or incorrect ignition timing! Could well save my engine if something does fail!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Chip

lol
Thanks for politely correcting my error in the other thread
I thought the RPM in that eqaution was engine RPM not wheel RPM, hadnt really taken the time to think about it before i posted
Lol, no worries, apologies if it came across wrongly, but the main thing is that you learnt from it, the thing that apparently Stu reckons you couldnt possibly have done
Genuinely no offence was intended, if I thought you really were retarded I wouldnt say so, as it was clearly just a schoolboy error on your part though rather than a real lack of understanding, I figured that a joke about it would be a good way of making you remember next time, it certainly always works on me when people teach me that way, it makes it stick more if it hurts your pride just a little bit to read it IME

But back to this thread, where would be a good place on the old CVH to fit a bosch knock sensor, and is this one ok to use?

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/BOSCH_K..._KNOCK_KIT.asp
Yes thats the sensor you want, but rather than pay over 60 quid for it, drop SBD16V a PM and he's probably got one knocking around that he'll send you for about a tenner plus postage or something, as he can get them cheap off his old man who runs a vauxhall breakers

With regards to where to mount them, Im not mega familiar with what bolt holes you have on the CVH block, you got a picture of one I can stick an arrow on?
Basically though, something smack in the middle of the block seems to work well on most engines IME.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Rick
The knocklite looks interesting and good value, I'm leaning towards the Phorumla at the moment though.

From a mapping point of view, det cans are inadequate in that they can't be used to detect inaudiable det.

If the Phorumla has a spectrum analyser on screen, it should be possible to see any sudden changes/spikes. Sure, the overall amplitude and dominate frequency will change, but that should be reasonably progressive.

Rick.

I think the phormula looks great for mapping, im just not convinced of it's usefullness when in the middle of doing a trackday etc, as you cant really sit there watching graphs on the screen as you hammer round a bend etc.

If you use it with a decent ECU though like an SM4, you can have the best of all worlds as you can datalog the knock ouput 0-5v signal which is great for mapping and you can build a map of acceptable values which if you step outside you can just put a nice big fuck off bright LED on to alert the driver.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

double post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by Chip
Lol, no worries, apologies if it came across wrongly, but the main thing is that you learnt from it, the thing that apparently Stu reckons you couldnt possibly have done
Genuinely no offence was intended, if I thought you really were retarded I wouldnt say so, as it was clearly just a schoolboy error on your part though rather than a real lack of understanding, I figured that a joke about it would be a good way of making you remember next time, it certainly always works on me when people teach me that way, it makes it stick more if it hurts your pride just a little bit to read it IME

Yes thats the sensor you want, but rather than pay over 60 quid for it, drop SBD16V a PM and he's probably got one knocking around that he'll send you for about a tenner plus postage or something, as he can get them cheap off his old man who runs a vauxhall breakers

With regards to where to mount them, Im not mega familiar with what bolt holes you have on the CVH block, you got a picture of one I can stick an arrow on?
Basically though, something smack in the middle of the block seems to work well on most engines IME.
Thanks Chip I was a little shocked when I first read your reply but then read on and realised it was banter, no harm done mate!

Is this photo any good or perhaps without the inlet manifold in the way?

You can see where Ford have fitted the standard knock sensor on the end of the inlet manifold.

I just landed a delivery mileage sensor for Ł8 on ebay! Here it is from a Vauxhal and with 6 months warranty!

Last edited by Karlos G; 02-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Chip

Ps

If you get the vectra ones, they are on a flylead with spade connects rather than having the built in 2 pin connector, which means your dont need to mess around with an AMP connector.

They are still exactly the same, ive tested them back to back on my knock box.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karlos,

FYI the reason Ford mounted the knock sensor there on the CVH turbo is that the inlet manifold is flexible enough to resonate/amplify any det events on the engine.
Not ideal but fairly effective !
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Chip

Ah, my PS was too late, you have already bought one, lol

If you need a connector for it, let me know and I'll post you one chopped off a vauxhall loom, I have a couple of spares.

Inlet manifold isnt a bad place for it, I know a couple of tuners who go from there.

Id be looking for an existing bolt hole somewhere near that brass fitting simply cause that would relate to where they go on the vauxhall engines im used to listening to and it works well there on those.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor.
Karlos,

FYI the reason Ford mounted the knock sensor there on the CVH turbo is that the inlet manifold is flexible enough to resonate/amplify any det events on the engine.
Not ideal but fairly effective !
Wow, surprised at that as you would have expected them to want to avoid anything with a resonance that could be mistaken for det!

Just goes to show, every day is a school day, I never would have guessed that.

Think I'll stick to using block mounted sensors though as im more familiar with the sound from there!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Ah, my PS was too late, you have already bought one, lol

If you need a connector for it, let me know and I'll post you one chopped off a vauxhall loom, I have a couple of spares.

Inlet manifold isnt a bad place for it, I know a couple of tuners who go from there.

Id be looking for an existing bolt hole somewhere near that brass fitting simply cause that would relate to where they go on the vauxhall engines im used to listening to and it works well there on those.
That connector would be handy! PM on it's way...
Brass fitting near the oil filter?

Here is a clearer pic of the back of the block..

Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Chip

Oh

Nothing high enough up there really.

I think that the head is your best bet in that instance then, or the inlet based on what Simon said.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

What about here? Would be easy to extend that bolt assuming it's the correct diameter for the knock sensor? (Bolt is M8)
I read that the torque setting is very important for accurate sensing, any idea what that should be?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

The inlet does sound different - but it still sounds like det IME
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Chip

M8 is correct yes, and that looks like a suitable location, ive used similar on YB's

Not sure on the torque thing, I just nip them up by hand and have never had a problem.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

http://www.afracing.co.uk/Products/ks.htm

Maybe we could get a group buy on the go?

Rick.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

M8 is correct yes, and that looks like a suitable location, ive used similar on YB's

Not sure on the torque thing, I just nip them up by hand and have never had a problem.
Sweet i'll go with that location then!
Read this from knocklite site, "The actual mounting of the knock sensor and the torque setting of the mounting bolt is important as well to provide the best contact for the knock sensor"
But i guess so long as it is not overtightened or loose should be ok!

I'll 'map' my normal engine background noise when i get back from my next setup which will hopefully be in the next 2-3 weeks, that way I know it's a good clean reference of what the engine should sound like!

Cheers for all your help!

Last edited by Karlos G; 02-04-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Rick.
I'm sure Alex can give us a good price.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Rick.
That does look nice Rick!
Doesnt say if you can set a 'reference map' tailored to your engines normal noise/rpm?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Chip

Rick.
Alex, can you get the kits WITHOUT the bosch knock sensor?

That should help get the price down a lot if you can
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Alex, can you get the kits WITHOUT the bosch knock sensor?

That should help get the price down a lot if you can
Yes it should!!

Video of it here http://www.phormula.co.uk/Player.asp...ock%20Analyser

More Video http://www.phormula.co.uk/Player.asp...Analyser%20Pro

Looks like you really need to calibrate it with a set of Det headphones or some other sensor for it to be of any acurate use, spose i could have it done whilst my car is being setup on the RR!
Does look nicer than the Knocklite

Last edited by Karlos G; 02-04-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

torque 20NM or 14ftlb
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by AlexF
torque 20NM or 14ftlb
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Over to you Alex
Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Obviously with the KS-3 low RPM knock detection is almost non existent as you have to set a threshold which will always be when your at the red line and your enigne is at it's noisiest.
So does anyone know if you likely to get low RPM knock on a turbo charged engine like my RS for example, if it were to lean out or the timing was too advanced, etc..?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Chip

Obviously with the KS-3 low RPM knock detection is almost non existent as you have to set a threshold which will always be when your at the red line and your enigne is at it's noisiest.
So does anyone know if you likely to get low RPM knock on a turbo charged engine like my RS for example, if it were to lean out or the timing was too advanced, etc..?
Yes, its perfectly possible, especially if you are on a small turbo that spools relatively early on.

I should be ok with my GT35R though, lol
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

hmmm...... maybe I should stick with the Knocklite then.
My little T3 is on full chat by about 2700rpm, and the CVH is very noisey compared to other engines at high RPM so the threshold would have to be set very high on a KS-3

Last edited by Karlos G; 02-04-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Remeber you are listen to a range of frequencies not volume....

I'll find out some more info guys.

Alex
Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by AlexF
Remeber you are listen to a range of frequencies not volume....

I'll find out some more info guys.

Alex
Yes but you have to set that frequency range and then the threshold (volume) based on your maximum engine noise which in my case will be 6400rpm, if i'm Det'ing at 3000rpm it might not be detectable as the threshold value at 6400rpm could be far higher than Det at 3000rpm.
Something that has a threshold based on normal engine noise for every 500rpm would be ideal. But every 1000rpm will do which is why i'm considering the Knocklite.
Take a peek at this graph...

But still more info would be great Alex!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Got a reply re: bosch sensors....

Hi Alex,

We don’t sell the units without sensors. This is primarily because we have had issues with old/standard sensors not giving accurate readings.

Kind regards,

Anthony

Anthony Rickson
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Could a boss be welded on to the engine block to give best location? Or would that possibly create a weak point on the block? I think If I used a proper cast Iron compatible Stick welding rod it would work. Then I could have the sensor wherever best suits on a YB.

Cheers
Dan

P.S. good discussion
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

For these system position isnt vital.

For an ECU monitoring the sensor then you want one between cyliders based on the firing order and more often than not two - so you can be sure which cylider det'd.

That way you only retard the timing for the cylider that is effected - maintaining performance.

Alex
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

really interesting thread, but going back to the original post - is it possible (on a dyno / RR) to advance timing till the torque starts to drop as this will occur before det starts?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Hi PGT,

Yes in theory you can do just that - but you have to be aware you are likly to get heat soak and so what causes DET on a dyno might not on the road and vice-vera.

You can also monitor EGTs. As soon as det begins the EGT jumps up.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

although it's a touch slow to react.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

although it's a touch slow to react.
Absolutly!

But if you had thermo couples per cylinder and knock sensors you might be bale to narrow problems down
Old 17-04-2009, 01:51 PM
arjunior45
Virgin

I think the phormula looks great for mapping, im just not convinced of it's usefullness when in the middle of doing a trackday etc, as you cant really sit there watching graphs on the screen as you hammer round a bend etc.

If you use it with a decent ECU though like an SM4, you can have the best of all worlds as you can datalog the knock ouput 0-5v signal which is great for mapping and you can build a map of acceptable values which if you step outside you can just put a nice big fuck off bright LED on to alert the driver.
although short while ago I've started a new thread under Sierra/.../RS500 Cosworth {see https://passionford.com/forum/showth...t=knock+sensor }, I'll post it here too, if you do not mind.

I need to find the tech data from the oem Sierra's Marelli SEN 14B knock sensor and mostly I concern for the output voltage signal vs Khz table or for the voltage output signal vs 12 to 16 Khz.

Can someone help me please?

Nick.

If it's difficult to post this table here as an attachment, my e-mail is georgia.ligda@ontelecoms.gr

Quick Reply: Detonation Detection