General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

'Ring GPS data

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 11:47 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 'Ring GPS data

anyone got any GPS data of the Nordschleife?

thinking about a little project for Easter, following on from John's excellent 'Ring tutorial DVD. planning to map the track into GPS and have it announce each corner before you get there to help learn it quicker.

these guys have started something similar:
http://www.yellowduck.co.uk/products/quack/
Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I think anything that encourages people to push harder before they have track knowledge is a bad thing .
Old 02-12-2004, 11:59 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it going to make you push harder, or give you warning?

I think it's a good idea
Old 02-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I think it will encourage you to drive harder, as you will be told what corner is coming up, rather than learning (which requires much more caution IMHO).
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're using a GPS unit with laptop/car pc software then you could just set corners as POI?

With software like Infomap Navigator you can save your GPS data in NMEA format to be replayed - that might be what you're after isn't it?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Phil
Jeebus

FRS, I was in discussions for making something similar for a project with my university. I wanted to develop a Windows CE program to record your route around the track, so when the lap is done you can compare your lines along with many other laps all overlayed onto a map of the circuit. As well as recording instantaneous speeds all the way round. Possible addons could include accelerometers for measuring g-forces around the track also.

Basically a program to datalog readings that we already take (e.d. Datron) but to overlay them onto a map.

In the end I decided that GPS couldn't pinpoint your location accurately enough. (I forget the exact accuracey, I think it is 2m) Either way it wouldn't be great for examining your lines!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 PM
andyhardy

Yeah, but the point of his project is to warn you of upcoming corners - not compare racing lines so GPS would be accurate enough - it's just whether the software would be fast enough at reading out the corners in time for you to react!

Cheers,

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

thanks for the input so far.

mike

andy - that sounds like just the job. but we would first have to drive round once to store it, and then add all the POI. but that's one way of doing it that we hadn't thought about. we wanted to get something sorted before going next time.

phil - it's more for telling you what's coming rather than comparing lines and times, so the accuracy doesn't need to be that good. 2m is good enough.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:22 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You can have voice on certain programs

Easy left followed by long hair ping right

Old 02-12-2004, 12:24 PM
cossymad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

'' im 100 meters, gehen sie rechts''
NathR

I personaly think you're best to learn the general direction/section names of the track off the track. That way when you drive it there's no need to have to think about what is coming next or rely on being told by a machine! There's plenty of video's/DVD's and track notes/guides floating about!

RS, I was in discussions for making something similar for a project with my university. I wanted to develop a Windows CE program to record your route around the track, so when the lap is done you can compare your lines along with many other laps all overlayed onto a map of the circuit. As well as recording instantaneous speeds all the way round. Possible addons could include accelerometers for measuring g-forces around the track also.
Bloody hell Phil, sounds a bit involved! Trouble with the Ring is that every lap is going to be pretty different, there's always people to pass/let past, yellow flagged area's etc etc to negotiate making it tricky to always stick to a particular line and speed.
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Andy,
I believed that Nick's (FRS) suggestion was for the system to would say the name of the corner. This is because warning you that a corner is coming up is of no use what-so-ever , you need to know whether it is a left, right, and the speed of it etc . By giving you the name, you will know which way that particular corner goes, and it's speed (that you have already safely driven round it at etc). The real difficulty at the Ring is not that a corner is coming up, but the ORDER of the 147 corners - as a beginner, you can get confused as to what is coming up next .
Old 02-12-2004, 12:26 PM
dumped

Could get watty to put pace notes on it ..... actually sod that lol
Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Yeah Watty's notes: 90 right - flat, 180 left - flat .
Old 02-12-2004, 12:32 PM
andyhardy

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Andy,
I believed that Nick's (FRS) suggestion was for the system to would say the name of the corner. This is because warning you that a corner is coming up is of no use what-so-ever , you need to know whether it is a left, right, and the speed of it etc . By giving you the name, you will know which way that particular corner goes, and it's speed (that you have already safely driven round it at etc). The real difficulty at the Ring is not that a corner is coming up, but the ORDER of the 147 corners - as a beginner, you can get confused as to what is coming up next .
Yes, but what I suggested was helpful was it not?

I'm not a complete fucking moron! Although some may say otherwise...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Are you sure no GPS Europe maps have it on? It is a public road after all..

If so then stick it in Tomtom and hey presto, you have some wicked 3d map (not overhead!) of whats coming up. Tomtom is great for road rallies/country lanes Easy to see when sharp corners are coming up if you trust it!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:34 PM
NathR

Fook looking down at that at 140MPH after Flugplatz etc etc to see whats coming up Phil!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Andy,
Yes, you made a VERY good point . My Sat-Nav directs you to a roundabout and then as you go over it and out the other side at even normal speed, it only announces "exit coming up" at what seems like seconds after you have already taken it . Not really suitable for the Ring if there is a similar delay .
Old 02-12-2004, 12:48 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

just checked, and it's actually all mapped out in MS Autoroute. looks like it will be easy. proper bo.'

just want it to tell you the name of the corner coming up, if it's left/right, and maybe a speed that you know is safe and any other warnings like corner tightens, camber changes etc.

of course you'll still have to look out for other traffic and stuff, but could be a useful thing to learn the circuit quicker. don't know about anyone else, but i can't read the signs for each corner on the side of the road, and if it's read out to you each lap it will all flow together better.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Phil
Jeebus

foreigner RS, just use a Tomtom map, seriously! You can set your own Points Of Interest (e.g. speed cameras) and have a verbal warning for each POI

Job done...
Old 02-12-2004, 01:13 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

sounds just the job phil, if tomtom includes it. will check. cheers mate.