General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is their any proof...

Search this Thread

Old 27-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is their any proof...

And i mean REAL proof that quitting smoking makes you put on weight?The reason i ask is, when most people give up smoking, they tend to replace the cigarette with something else i.e:food hence why most people associate, when they give up smoking, they also put on weight.BUTI was speaking to a client today and we were talkking about her giving up smoking, she gave up 6 weeks ago now, and PURPOSELY made sure she hasnt eaten anything additional to what she would normally eat, AND she now cycles 2 miles a day and she never used to, but she has put on nearly a stone in 6 weeks!And the only thing she can associate it with is giving up smoking?!
Old 27-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

some people eat alot and dont think about it or count what they eat,,, just like i ate 2 easter eggs this morning cause i couldnt be bothered to cook
Old 27-03-2009, 03:09 PM
ZSmick
xrv zetec-s xr2i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yer it does maria i found wen i tryed last year i was constantly in the cubard lol
Old 27-03-2009, 03:13 PM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

Maria,

For some reason when you give up smoking you become obsessed with whatever you take up, I quit in July last year and thought that running would be a good exercise to start................I go out running 4 times a week now and get really annoyed if I miss a day.

But I suppose it is a way of keeping my brain active and not thinking about the smoke.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:13 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

at least you can burn off the weight when you have kicked the habit!much rather that then die due to cancer caused by smoking!

To the question of this thread i think its just down to a habit of doing something else instead of smoking!plus eating something like chocolate probably releases the same feel good chemicals in your body as smoking
Old 27-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Mike C
The Special One

When your body is used to a nicotine intake, and then that gets taken away, that can slow down your metabolism, so you will be burning less calories. That is a FACT.

What is also a fact is that people quitting smoking very, very rarely gain any significant weight. Few pounds here and there maybe, but a slightly slower metabolism replaced with cycling 2 miles a day should definitely MORE than even itself out.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

hmmm

Trending Topics

Old 27-03-2009, 03:17 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

also depends on how fast/hard she cycles those two miles!it aint going to do nothing if you dont push ya self and get out of breath
Old 27-03-2009, 03:19 PM
ZSmick
xrv zetec-s xr2i

well smoking takes away your erg to eat so if u take smoking away u will be eating more its the way your brain functions.. bad habbit an i should kick it but u only live once
Old 27-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my mates used to be painfully thin until he stopped smoking.Bloody hell he put loads of weight on but strangely it seemed to be all over and he went a right big fooker and started doing weights.I quit drinking two weeks ago because I am getting like an Easter egg with spindly arms and legs,even though no beer means more eating.I was 32" waist for years am now nearly 36".Its no wonder my jeans don't fit I dare not quit smoking as well otherwise it looks like I will be wearing sweatpants
Old 27-03-2009, 03:27 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Did for me.
Always ate lots, and lots of crap, and couldn't go over 11 stone no matter what.
Quit smoking and was 13 stone before I knew it, had a bit of a gut!
Had to adjust all my trousers.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Mike C
The Special One

It can also be worse initially as nicotine withdrawal can affect the digestive system too, causing constipation and such like. It should calm down after a month or two. Drink plenty of water to suppress hunger and stick to not eating a ton and most people would be fine after that
Old 27-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Maria, I quit 51 weeks and 2 days ago. I immediately put on about 2 stone.

Thankfully, the standards of cooking aboard my last 2 ships saw that I lost that weight Now back to normal and a non smoker!! I used green wrigleys extra as my subsitute for cigs, as nicotine gum just got me hooked on a different type of nictotine. I did eat alot of crisps and mars bars etc
Old 27-03-2009, 03:42 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Not sure, but you should put on these type of pounds quite quickly ŁŁŁ
Old 27-03-2009, 03:42 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Smoking raises heartrate and blood pressure etc, so that must burn a few extra calories??
Old 27-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thde thing is, ive had cut down my smoking significantly, but have now also been going to the gym for 3 weeks... i was just wondering if my progress seemed very slow because maybe the additional weight gain was out weighing the good being done at the gym if that makes sense?
Old 27-03-2009, 03:51 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

How can you replace fags with even more food, i have read the threads about your food intake

Steve
Old 27-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Rab

Originally Posted by Maria.
Thde thing is, ive had cut down my smoking significantly, but have now also been going to the gym for 3 weeks... i was just wondering if my progress seemed very slow because maybe the additional weight gain was out weighing the good being done at the gym if that makes sense?

Sooooo, you want to smoke more so you stay thin and die early of a horrible lung related illness I'd rather be a big fat old person.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Nicotine acts as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after a puff of nicotine there is a rush of adrenaline which causes the liver to release glycogen (sugar) which raises the blood sugar levels slightly. Remove nicotine and your body slows down your metabolism. You are expending fewer calories. Consequently, if you eat the same number of calories as before, your body is using less and stores more as fat.
Nicotine can reduce your appetite by directly affecting the activity of serotonin and dopamine, which are substances that control neural transmission in areas of your brain, that turn your appetite on and off. Nicotine elevates the activity of these substances in a way that is similar to what happens when you eat a sweet. For a period after smoking a cigarette you feel less hungry as such during meal times you may consume less.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:54 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think id rather put on a few pounds and exercise to work it off, rather than carry on smoking and kill myself.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Rab - i dont want to smoke more at all... but i was just wondering as i have reduced my cigarette intake by about 10 a day, that may be why i am not seeing results as quickly as i had hoped at the gym!Cabbie - cheers for that, that actually makes sense!
Old 27-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Mike C
The Special One

No, it won't.

If you did no real exercise before, you wouldn't be getting the same level of strenuous calorie burning like you do now.

Nicotine causes a release of adrenaline, which raises the metabolism and will cause calories to burn at a faster than normal rate, but not to the extent of a strenuous workout.

Bearing in mind that the nicotine raises metabolism to an "unusual" level, so without it your metabolism will be "normal", and assuming you don't suffer from a naturally slow metabolism, it shouldn't be an issue, it probably means that you can eat a small percentage more than you would normally be able to and get away with it.
Old 27-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Is it possible that the cycling has built up muscle?
'Tis heavier than fat so I was always told.
I've put on 2 st and my childhood athsma has come back since I packed in 3 years ago. I'm never felt more unhealthy
Old 27-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
Is it possible that the cycling has built up muscle?
'Tis heavier than fat so I was always told.
A small amount, maybe, but not a noticable amount in that time.

Muscle is denser than fat (hence muscle is pretty solid to touch and fat is "wobbly"), so weighs more.
Rab

Rab - i dont want to smoke more at all... but i was just wondering as i have reduced my cigarette intake by about 10 a day, that may be why i am not seeing results as quickly as i had hoped at the gym!Cabbie - cheers for that, that actually makes sense!
I see!! Good luck with the stopping!!
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Muscle weighs more than fat
Old 27-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Mike C
No, it won't.

If you did no real exercise before, you wouldn't be getting the same level of strenuous calorie burning like you do now.

Nicotine causes a release of adrenaline, which raises the metabolism and will cause calories to burn at a faster than normal rate, but not to the extent of a strenuous workout.

Bearing in mind that the nicotine raises metabolism to an "unusual" level, so without it your metabolism will be "normal", and assuming you don't suffer from a naturally slow metabolism, it shouldn't be an issue, it probably means that you can eat a small percentage more than you would normally be able to and get away with it.
In fact, think of it in a simpler way...

I'm sure most people would be able to think of an example of someone who smokes, and over a period of say, 10-20 years, has got considerably fatter, and has just the same lifestyle they've always had.

But if you knew someone who'd been a regular gym-go'er for those 10-20 years, they sure as hell wouldn't be a fatty!

So the difference in calorie burning between the 2 would be pretty immense. No chance of smoking cancelling out a workout!
Old 27-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Maria the metabolic rate will balance out eventually. As been said stopping smoking lowers rate therefore you need less energy to survive hence eating same = wieght gain.

If your eating a balanced diet anyway then it shouldnt take much variation in quantities to find a balance to maintain a healthy wieght after quitting smoking.

Remember you probably have to burn loads of energy to stay warm on fag breaks as all the tabbers have been banished outside into the cold these days

All adds up i guess!
Old 27-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

well your metabalism slows down when you get older, i gained LOADS of weight when i turned 25,,, so did the missus, well not loads but she got upto 11.5 stone !!!

im trying to loose weight but cant get the time/effort to go to the gym as its 10 miles away,,i usually drive it and will again !!!

when i was 18 i was a 30ins waist,, then by the time i was 25 i was a 32ins waist but always wore a 34ins for some reason,, there wasmu mistake !!!!,,,,, then i went up 2ins every year and when i turned 28 i was,,,,,, a 38ins waist, im now down to a 36 so still a fat cunt but atleast i dont have to buy new clothes again pmsl i wanna get back down to a 34ins waist as i bought SOOO much designer clothes when i was younger that i cant wear anymore but cant bring my self to throw away either as i WILL get back into them,,,, honest i will pmsl

i wanna get down to a 34ins waisr
Old 27-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

You have to bear in mind you were born a non-smoker and your body is designed to function without tobacco, period. You may initially put on a bit of weight when you stop with the things mentioned already but your body will get back to normal.

I take it you've started smoking again after your four days....... If you want to stop properly read Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking, it's a brilliant book.
Old 27-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by -MAL-

I take it you've started smoking again after your four days....... If you want to stop properly read Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking, it's a brilliant book.

???

Old 27-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Old 27-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The reason you aren't losing weight or making changes to your body is because of your shocking diet - assuming you are still eating like you were when you posted your diet in the fitness room.

Normal diet will be:

Brekky:
Cereal or Toast and an Activia yoghurt

!0.30am:
Chocolate bar and a banana

12.30:
Sandwich or sushi, with another chocolate bar

Chocolate bar

Anything from pasta, pie, mash, always some veg, but a 'normal' meal
Activia yoghurt

20.00:
chocoltae bar.... or 3

I know i know i know my diet has gone down the pan.... but i have ALWAYS eaten like this, regardless of whether i work out or not!
Old 27-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ideal diet would look something like below, this is what i'm eating at the moment (minus the cereal bar, substitute that for 45g of cous cous and brocolli) it is a bit strict, but you will see much better gains if you can get it close to something like this. Oh, and try to stop smoking! Eat chewing gum instead or something.

Breakfast - 60g of oats in semi skimmed milk, teaspoon of sugar if you need to

10:30am - apple, banana, piece of fruit. Be careful with citrus fruits - lots of natural sugars in them, which cause an insulin spike - which = limited fat burn!

12:30pm - 1 chicken breast with 70g of brown rice - you can have a small bit of sauce if need be.

3pm - I have 45g of cous cous with brocolli here, but if you must, You can have a cereal bar with a little chocolate in it, Nestle "Oats and more" is nice, oats and chocolate chunks, approx 100cals which is OK.

6:30pm - 1 Chicken breast and as much steamed veg as you like!

Try not to eat after that. - drink loads of water and no smoking.
That diet is by no means perfect, im just on a major weight loss plan at the moment and it suits me/my day to day work etc... I know it can be tightened up much more, before any hardcore BB types get on my back
Old 27-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

If it wasn't for the chocolate and the Saturday binge eating then to be fair she's not too bad.
Old 27-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by -MAL-
If it wasn't for the chocolate and the Saturday binge eating then to be fair she's not too bad.

Not too bad without the chocolate, but 3 or more bars in one day is OTT? Maybe get away with 1 bar per day, they are loaded with sugar, which is totally detremental to weight loss.

Bread isn't excellent, nor is pie/mash - not the worst but easily substituted for something much better.

A saturday cheat day is ok too really, as long as it is saturday (or once a week) only and say between 12-6pm, that way it keeps it reasonable rather than gorging all day.
Old 27-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Coldo
The reason you aren't losing weight or making changes to your body is because of your shocking diet - assuming you are still eating like you were when you posted your diet in the fitness room.
There ain't much wrong with that diet though...

Sure, it's not perfect, but from what I can gather, Maria wants to lose a small amount of weight (half a stone or something like that?) and just get generally fitter. She's not trying to lose a shedload of weight or anything.

As said before, if your weight is a constant, all you need to do to lose some is cut your food intake by 10% and you WILL lose weight, regardless of what your diet is. That's not an opinion, that's simple science.

Same goes the other way. If that's what she's always eaten, she will see a benefit from excerise.

Cut 10% of intake (mainly the "bad" stuff) and keep the training up and you can't fail.
Old 27-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Im only trying to lose 5lbs!

The rest i just want to tone.

~i dont want to wobble so much
Old 27-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Rab

My diet is as follows

Breakfast - Pies

Lunch - Pies

Dinner - Pies

Bedtime - Pies

My diet at sea is as follows

Breakfast - Is this food??

Lunch - Was this alive? Did you kill it?

Dinner - Whats this brown goo meant to be?

Bedtime - What is the noise coming from my stomach?

I'm going to sell my job to celebs as some kind of funky diet
Old 27-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!