General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Quick question for sparky's

Search this Thread

Old 23-03-2009 | 02:45 PM
Shandy-Ade
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Quick question for sparky's

I want to add another socket in my bedroom, coming off the socket in the hall as it's directly behind the wall i want the new socket, when i opened up the socket i noticed i alread have 3 phase, 3 neutral & 3 earth's coming out of it, would it be too much to add another socket from this.
Old 23-03-2009 | 02:55 PM
paul16v
Monte 087

It sounds like that socket is on the ring main then has something else spured off from it, im not a spark but did work as a mate for a while if it was me i would find out what 2 cables are on the ring split the ring so one leg goes to your new socket and put a link between the two sockets.
Old 23-03-2009 | 03:10 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You need someone to look at it and work out what's what really.

... if you are going to go ahead anyway - take one of the cables out of the old socket and put it in your new socket. Take a new piece of wire and join your old socket to the new one. It won't matter which cable you use, so you can choose the one with the most slack.
Old 23-03-2009 | 04:16 PM
Shandy-Ade

Thanks guys

My first thought was that it was a ring circuit, 2 of the wires are coming from downstairs so i guess it's the sockets in the downstairs hall, the other seems to be going into the loft.

Will see where they are definantly going tho before i attempt to wire another socket to it.
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:24 PM
Shandy-Ade

Sorry to bring this thread up again, i had a proper look today, this is what i want to do.

I want to add a socket in the spare bedroom, coming from the socket in the upstairs landing, after taking the cover off the socket in the landing i noticed it was on a ring and a socket placed downstairs in the hall had spurred off it, so at present i have 3 of each wire coming from it.

The socket in the bedroom will be directly behind this socket the wall is roughly 5" thick, what i was thinking was putting the socket in the hall downstairs in the new socket i'm fitting, however if i do this i will have to buy 30metre run cable, the socket in the hall rarely gets used, so is it safe to just add the socket so i have 2 spurs from the ring, so i will have 4 of each wire coming from it
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:36 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

you an't spur off a spur, but at the same time, if you run 2 spurs off the same plug youwill have issues if you start to overload things

can you not spur the downstairs socket from another plug and then you can have 2 sockets either side of the wall spuring off each other from teh ring main?

or just have the ring feeding one, then going to the other, then carrying on?

like it should do?
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:51 PM
Shandy-Ade

There's no where to attatch the downstairs socket, that's why it was spurred to the landing, i think regs wise there is nowt wrong with having another spur from the ring?
Old 03-04-2009 | 07:41 AM
nthorpey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Pull the cables through from the landing to the spare room as that where you need it and just blank off the old one. Then you have the same loading as you had before and as you said the one in the landing rarely gets used.