General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Whats does jailbreaking an iPhone do and how do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 19-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats does jailbreaking an iPhone do and how do you do it?

Also what are the pros and cons??
Old 19-03-2009, 05:41 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Well essentially it allows you to use a 'non o2' sim card and also you can install 3rd party applications without having to use the appstore.

Pro? Well u can use a different network card

Con? Well none really, as with itunes you can fully restore your iPhone back to factory anyway
Old 19-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Kelv
Almost there!

the next question would be, how do you go about doing it?
Old 19-03-2009, 05:45 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Originally Posted by Kelv
the next question would be, how do you go about doing it?
the answer would be 'google it'
Old 20-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by doctor stavros
Well essentially it allows you to use a 'non o2' sim card and also you can install 3rd party applications without having to use the appstore.

Pro? Well u can use a different network card

Con? Well none really, as with itunes you can fully restore your iPhone back to factory anyway
No. Jailbreaking unlocks the SOFTWARE (as in the operating system, etc) allowing use of third party apps and plug ins

UNLOCKING unlocks the NETWORK - to use a sim card from a different carrier

However, you cannot unlock the network without jailbreaking - 2G phones this is built into the jailbreak proceedure, and 3G phones is a seperate "app" downloaded after jailbreaking.

You don't have to unlock it if you jailbreak.

As for pro's and cons. Pro's are that you can really begin to use the full potential of the software that is the iPhone OS. Third party apps that can customise virtually any part of the OS, change it's appearance, do loads of different things with it - even switch to Linux!

Con's - the only real con is that whenever you upgrade to the latest Apple firmware, your phone gets un-jailbroken and you have to jailbreak all over again, and then download and install all your apps and plug ins/tweaks all over again.

Last edited by Thrush; 20-03-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 20-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush

Con's - the only real con is that whenever you upgrade to the latest Apple firmware, your phone gets un-jailbroken and you have to jailbreak all over again, and then download and install all your apps and plug ins/tweaks all over again.

Is there no back up application then?

Something like spb backup ( for windows mobile )

Basically i install the program, do a backup, which saves a file to the memory card.

Flash the mobile with a new rom, then run the file on the memory card, 20mins or so later, all my programs, files, ringtones, appointments, tweaks, background picture etc is back the way i had it on the old rom.

must be a 3rd party app for the iphone like this??
Old 20-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

There is an app (a jailbreak one) called APTBACKUP that caches a list file and when you sync with iTunes (iTunes always does a backup before a sync) it stores the file in the backup. When you next restore, the list is carried back to the phone and you download and run the Aptbackup app and it *should* download and install all the jailbreak apps in one go. I'm actually just trying it now as I just had to restore my iPhone. Last time I tried it, it didn't work, so shall see what happens this time....

But you still need to jailbreak and unlock everytime you upgrade to new firmware (ie, upgrading the iPhone OS from 2.0 to 2.1 > 2.2, etc

And you need to wait each time for the Dev Team to crack the new firmware code to allow you to jailbreak and unlock the baseband.... It's easy enough to do, and doesn't usually take long for the hack to be available, but it's not as quick, nor as simple as just having a "regular" iPhone and doing a "normal" firmware upgrade....
Old 20-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Crashed the phone first time I ran it today, but then ran it again and it worked - all my apps downloaded and installed.

Have to re-configure tho - it doesn't re-instate your personal settings....
Old 20-03-2009, 04:47 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presumably with a release of the firmware Apple could lockout the Jailbreaking mechanism? Much like Sony managed to with the PSP - I never used any homebrew apps on the PSP so it didn't bother me.
Old 20-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

With every new OS release Apple have tried to lockout the ability to jailbreak and unlock the network restrictions. However, there are some VERY smart people out there!