General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How do you all deal with tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 18-03-2009, 10:43 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If I'm in my AstraVan and get a tailgater, I simply drop it to 3rd and stick it on the limiter for a couple of seconds, they have to back off as they cannot see for soot and smoke

Had some twat in a little Japanese convertible do that once in my old Orion Diesel. I was overtaking a line of slower traffic and he decided to sit on my arse and flash going up this long hill on a motorway (bear in mind that he had come racing towards me @ probably 100mph+ and I was legitimately doing 70mph), I dropped it to 3rd, ran the limiter for a few seconds and when he finally went past (once I had gone past the traffic), his nice, clean car was literally black @ the front and so was he

If not, I just let them sit there. Most my cars have towbars which are very visible.
Old 18-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Stupid cunt

if you tailgated me when there was no room to move because you wanted to go faster you get a smack of the puss with my jack handle
i doubt it as once you FINALLY got the fuck out of my way i would be able to get to MY destination,,, and you wouldnt be able to catch me due to you NOT BEING ABLE TO DRIVE FASTER

though VERY big of yopu to threaten someone with a weapon,,,, id prob use a wet fart to deal with your sort though as its MORE than enough to shut the guys waving there 22mm spanners from there window as a car passes them,,,, the same sort that then pretend there working on there car and never seen you when you stop to give them a dry slap they deserve
Old 18-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I increase my distance to the car infront of me, then just turn up the tunes and wait for the thump and subsequent claim for injury
Old 18-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Rab
I increase my distance to the car infront of me, then just turn up the tunes and wait for the thump and subsequent claim for injury
and im guessing a PM from roosie
Old 18-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Ginge !
i agree, tailgating is someone telling you that your going too fucking slow..alos move over to the fucking left on the motorway as its the same drivers who complain about tailgaters that drive in the middle lane

MOVE THE FUCK OVER OR SPEED THE FUCK UP,,,, if you wanna drive at the speed limit please do so BEHIND ME !!!

Your attitude fucking stinks! What if there is one lane and the car behind is faster than yours, you'll hapilly detour onto the grass will you? As for them not being able to drive faster. They can, but choose not too for reasons of their own.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 18-03-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:16 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

simple - depends which car im in

best is in the saph - tap on the rear fogs for a second and watch the idiots think its the brake lines and smoke up the front tyres
Old 18-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Benni
Your attitude fucking stinks! What if there is one lane and the car behind is faster than yours, you'll hapilly detour onto the grass will you? As for them not being able to drive faster. They can, but choose not too for reasons of their own.

Benni.

the attitude of holding up traffic also stinks too im afraid,its comon curtesy to let others past rather than hold them up cause YOUR happy with the speed your going,,, if i was driving infront of you and in your way i WOULD pull over,,, its bad manners to hold others up though selfish interest of there own

same with if someone is running in the morning,,, i would walk and hold them up but i would step out of there way so they can pass and get on with THERE lives whilst not affecting mine

i also let people with 2 or 3 items infront of me when shopping if i have a trolley of shopping and tghe same happens with me unless its a old woman,,,, old women NEVER let others in front for some reason,, guess its cause there living on borrowed time and wanna get to the home before they snuff it
Old 18-03-2009, 11:25 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

the attitude of holding up traffic also stinks too im afraid,its comon curtesy to let others past rather than hold them up cause YOUR happy with the speed your going,,, if i was driving infront of you and in your way i WOULD pull over,,, its bad manners to hold others up though selfish interest of there own

same with if someone is running in the morning,,, i would walk and hold them up but i would step out of there way so they can pass and get on with THERE lives whilst not affecting mine

i also let people with 2 or 3 items infront of me when shopping if i have a trolley of shopping and tghe same happens with me unless its a old woman,,,, old women NEVER let others in front for some reason,, guess its cause there living on borrowed time and wanna get to the home before they snuff it

mate it seems your just itching for an argument or you just want to be noticed,

you still never replied to what i said.

if your doing the spped limit or less and ALL the cars infront are doing the same speed, theres mums and kids all over the place you'd still pull over to let this car whos sitting on your arse just coz you got a performance car past?

its funny how if i take my bros car to work i never get tailgated doing the same routes and speeds! its an audi a4

and selfish interest being not wanting to wrap your car round a knob speeding in built up traffic or running a lil youth over whille mummies have a moan at the bus stop?

Last edited by cheeky dog; 18-03-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:28 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i agree, tailgating is someone telling you that your going too fucking slow..alos move over to the fucking left on the motorway as its the same drivers who complain about tailgaters that drive in the middle lane

MOVE THE FUCK OVER OR SPEED THE FUCK UP,,,, if you wanna drive at the speed limit please do so BEHIND ME !!!

i doubt it as once you FINALLY got the fuck out of my way i would be able to get to MY destination,,, and you wouldnt be able to catch me due to you NOT BEING ABLE TO DRIVE FASTER

though VERY big of yopu to threaten someone with a weapon,,,, id prob use a wet fart to deal with your sort though as its MORE than enough to shut the guys waving there 22mm spanners from there window as a car passes them,,,, the same sort that then pretend there working on there car and never seen you when you stop to give them a dry slap they deserve

You Really are a grade A cock, every time i come on here there are numerous threads with you trying to act the big man and waffling on about how hard you are.
I've not actually seen one usefull post from you, ever...
Grow up, get a life, and for fucks sake stop filling the forum full of useless boring drivel
Old 18-03-2009, 11:28 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Benni.
agreed
Old 18-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate thats not the same thing, being tailgate when holding someone up,, sitting in slow moving traffic is totally different as are driving past schools/in churches ect ect ect

as for me being noticed,,, i HONESTLY dont give a fuck about that rubbish NOR am i having a argument at all, im just voicing MY opinion based on experience and my issues from the other side
Old 18-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

All your examples are perfectly legal. It's not bad manners, it's looking out for yourself and your license. If you are in a rush, leave earlier next time and you won't need other people to break the law and take risks on your behalf. If they are doing under the limit, I agree. However, expecting someone else to speed, for the benefit of someone in a car behind, who they don't know, and by now think you're a cock, for sitting up their arse, is selfish.

'Sorry officer, big Ginge was in a rush, as he never left in time' doesn't quite work somehow.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 18-03-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

and im guessing a PM from roosie
Don't you mean Stu@InjuryLAwyersRapeTheOtherGuyForYouAndThenTake5 0%OfTheClaimForTheirTroubleLeavingYouWith2GrandAnd AReallySoreNeck/Arse/Whatever

Old 18-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely get tail gated as I rarely find anyone going remotely as quick. What I do find is people flash me when I pass them because they don't like the speed. Once I have had enough of that I go to full ABS in the motorway. 130mph ish to nil to ask them what the issue is. They usually assume I am "tapping the brakes" like u are all suggesting. However they quickly work out the car is stopped and panic. Quite amusing to watch.

No point in tailgating, better just to overtake and get on with ur day.

RW
Old 18-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Originally Posted by Rab
Don't you mean Stu@InjuryLAwyersRapeTheOtherGuyForYouAndThenTake5 0%OfTheClaimForTheirTroubleLeavingYouWith2GrandAnd AReallySoreNeck/Arse/Whatever

thats a bit out of order tbh, Roosie is a payed up trader and should not be getting slagged off with out reason.

If you disagree with acident compensation companys start one of them gay petitions on the 10 dowining street site.
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

mate thats not the same thing, being tailgate when holding someone up,, sitting in slow moving traffic is totally different as are driving past schools/in churches ect ect ect
this is the reason for starting the thread. im getting seriously pissed off that these fools wanna tailgate me when im not holding anyone up, im going as fast as the slowest car infront. Its just coz of the car, big red wheels and big ex pipe they excpect me to race around where ever i go

if i was a slow fooker i promise i wouldn't have asked on here!
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by fraser9764
You Really are a grade A cock, every time i come on here there are numerous threads with you trying to act the big man and waffling on about how hard you are.
I've not actually seen one usefull post from you, ever...
Grow up, get a life, and for fucks sake stop filling the forum full of useless boring drivel
mate theres NO acting anything from here, most of my posts are off the cuff, as for never seeing a usefull post from me,,, theres a awfull lot of em to go though mate,,, maybe you aint read all of them to understand

this is a general chill out zone to relax/comment and read about stuff to pass time,, is not a science class to learn about life and develop the mind further

i speak as i find in all ocasions, im like this in person also,,, just another loud mouth who talks too much and may anoy some people who dont get my humor

just cause you dont agree with my thoughts dont mean my thoughts are wrong, just like it dont mean your thoughts are also wrong

how do you live with life if your so uptight about someone on the interent that you have to call someone a cock you havent met,,,, not to mention the other guy who wanted to hit me with a jack handle,,,,, yeah,,, IM the cock acting the big man, calling people names
Old 18-03-2009, 11:38 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Now im not saying that i always drive to the speed limits, infact i very rarely do, but its a speed LIMIT not a set speed that you must do at all times. so how can you get wound up being behind someone that is doing the speed they feel is safe for the conditions?!
tailgating is pointless IMHO, as already said in this thread, if you run into the back of someone, its your insurance that pays out, so whats to gain? apart from you getting stressed with the car infront, them getting stressed coz some cunts up their arse, and you losing your front bumper and NCD,
If your in that much of a hurry, either overtake calmly when its safe to do so, or leave earlier, its not feckin rocket science
Old 18-03-2009, 11:38 PM
JoeSmith
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Fuck it throw a used nappy out your window at them, the warmer the better!

You could then compliment it by shouting something subtle like "ohhhh shit", or "shit happens" or "the shits hit the fan".

Me, I'm not one for subtelty (or spelling) I like to shout, "ha ha you have baby shit all over your car mate!" Now the cherry on top is when you finish off by showing them The Shocker!!! Regardless of gender.

Thats how I deal with traffic bummers!
Old 18-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
this is the reason for starting the thread. im getting seriously pissed off that these fools wanna tailgate me when im not holding anyone up, im going as fast as the slowest car infront. Its just coz of the car, big red wheels and big ex pipe they excpect me to race around where ever i go

if i was a slow fooker i promise i wouldn't have asked on here!
thats different,, but its just the image the car gives off that it happens your refering too,i get it with my impreza,,, people look at a car and judge the person, at the moment im driving my sisters corsa,, and i have found that people are LESS paitent and always wanna over take me all the time,,,,, even though i am driving like i always do,,, but i put that down to the green P plates on the car

peoples attitudes are usually based on there judgements by sight
Old 18-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

seriously now every single morning on my way to work no matter what route i take i get cars right up my arse i feel gay!

i do the speed limit, sometimes creep over but they still do it, grown men, women, boys, girls everyone does it and its starting to get on my nerves a lil more than usual. I seriously feel to stop the car and go have a word with them!

how do you lot deal with it? i cant pull over coz i'd never get to work but carying on im shitting myself that if i have to suddenly slow they're gonna rear end me
see this is the post im basing my comments on btw,, no mention of keeping up with the flow of traffic,, no mention of mothers and toddlers on there way to school and no mention of being on small side roads with grass verges

this reads to me as someone whos doing 30mph on wide roads that theres VARIOUS other drivers who are tailgating as a hint to speed a little up,,,, after all if loads of people are tailgating you and NOT just the same person does that indicate that theres a few seperate people who are of the same opinion ?
Old 19-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i dont trust ins companies.... if someone rear ends you do you normally get paid out?

Originally Posted by Elvis
yes you do mate

oh no you dont elvis

ginge who the hell are you calling mate eh there not your mates there big wonna be internet hero's

fraser9764 who the fuck are you calling a cock and its bollocks about ginge's posts you have never been reading all of them

i respect ginge for who he is, he speaks his mind and im sure he would be willing to tel you to your face, ive never met the guy allways have wanted to but im sure one day i will..

Last edited by Rs Baz; 19-03-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 19-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Remember folks, tailgating causes accidents; once this happens, yo are going absolutely nowhere!

Benni.
Old 19-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Ginge why tailgate in the first place?? just makes you look a cock when you crash into someone.

You dont need to tailgate to make someone pull over. How about flash lights or indicate right like in europe to indicate you want to get past???

Oh didnt you smash the front end of your scooby because you couldnt stop intime, ie you were too close or not paying enough attention?????

Tailgaters are either dangerous drivers, impatient idiots or both!!!!

In my experience most tailgaters do it regardless of wether your driving fast/slow etc.

I pull into left lane as soon as theres a safe gap to do so (ie i wont pull into a gap 2 car lengths long between 2 lorrys requiring me to slam on brakes to 55mph just so some impatient CUNT can get past).

People who aggressively tailgate me, i will slow down and open distance from vehicle in front, in accordance with highway code, but primarily to piss the tailgating cunt off yet remaining completely in the right legally Also when an undertaking opportunity opens up, I will floor it "shutting the door" so they cant undertake You want to tailgate like a cunt and people can hold you up with EASE and wind you round thier little finger
Old 19-03-2009, 03:00 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ginge your a cunt. Simple.

Always trying to act up and show your a hard man. When in reality you must be insecure about yourself

Its a driver like you that cost me my saph, and put me & my missus in hospital.

If you tailgated me would i fuck move out the way for you! I drive the speed limit for a reason, so i can get home to my family in one peice, and so i dont have the guilt of killing someone on the road

Why should i move out the way for someone else thats in a rush? is it my fault there late for a meeting? late for dinner? Maybe if they were more organised they wouldnt be late and have to tailgate?

Why dont you stop acting the fucking 'bigman' all the time and grow the fuck up. Yes i know this is the internet and your somewhat of a keyboard warrior and all, And you may be completly diffrent in person but from your posts on here all you seem to do is show your a hard man, when in reality your probably not. And even if you are theres going to be hundreds of guys that are bigger, more aggresive and alot more violent than you and one day you might accidently tailgate them and who knows what could happen.. Then all of a sudden you might just stop tail gating.

Dont mistake the above as me being boring, i like blasting cars etc but only when its safe to do do and when its not going to endanger others as guilt is a very hard thing to live with.

Last edited by R5FORD; 19-03-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

maybe hes a closet gay??? Pretending to be straight as hes ashamed and hence it comes out as anger and rage and the constant insecure need to try and prove his manlyness "yeah id smash him" "Yeah ram him the fuck off the road" road rage this, punched that, decked knobhead them etc etc etc

and you say you dont need anger management in another thread?? maybe its long term counselling you need for a personality disorder??
Old 19-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by R5FORD
Think before you type.
MAybe he should think before he gets behind the wheel and think before he goes on a road rage attack or tail gates someone

the irony that tailgaters arent thinking of the consequences and they have removed the "thinking distance" by tailgating makes me chuckle
Old 19-03-2009, 03:18 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rs Baz
oh no you dont elvis

ginge who the hell are you calling mate eh there not your mates there big wonna be internet hero's

fraser9764 who the fuck are you calling a cock and its bollocks about ginge's posts you have never been reading all of them

i respect ginge for who he is, he speaks his mind and im sure he would be willing to tel you to your face, ive never met the guy allways have wanted to but im sure one day i will..
Yh and if he tailgated your sister/wife/daughter/son/father and ended up plowing into the back of them and a person you cared and loved smashed there head on a steering wheel, windscreen etc and died due to a tailgater!!! would you be sticking up for him? I doubt it.

O but wait you might be as your in Ginges fan club

Last edited by R5FORD; 19-03-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:21 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
MAybe he should think before he gets behind the wheel and think before he goes on a road rage attack or tail gates someone

the irony that tailgaters arent thinking of the consequences and they have removed the "thinking distance" by tailgating makes me chuckle
thats the thing mate they dont think of there actions. Granted not many people do when driving, but to tailgate intentionally is just plain stupid.
Old 19-03-2009, 07:52 AM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

tailgaters are arse bandits
Old 19-03-2009, 07:59 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

the sensible thing to do is to increase the gap to the car in front - and slowing to do so also seems to wind the tailgater up even more. i once wired push button switches up to the brake and reversing lights of my mk2 escort. that used to be fun
Old 19-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If i am in my work van i slam the brakes on normally does the trick

When i am in our car i take my foot of the accelerator and slow down then if on a motorway i indicator and move over really slow normally piss's them right off!

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 19-03-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 19-03-2009, 08:57 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

I wait until a section of road that they cant possibly overtake on and slow right down to about 10mph for about 30secs, then speed up to what I was doing.. That normally gets the message accross
Old 19-03-2009, 09:04 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Remember folks, tailgating causes accidents; once this happens, yo are going absolutely nowhere!

Benni.
Says it all really.......
Old 19-03-2009, 09:29 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

on the motorway, if it is safe to move across i will do so

for instance, yesterday i was doing 70 in the outside lane of the m1 overtaking a line of lorries, along with everyone else, but the guy behind me deicded that he wanted to be soemwhere quicker than everyone else, so sat right on my bumper flashing his lights

now, as anyone who drives will tell you, if you can see that there is no where for the guy in front to go, why bother working yourself up into some sort of hysteria to get them to go faster?

so when i was able to move across i did so, waving a one fingred salute to my agressor

on the other hand, if i'm clicking along at quite a rate of knots and someone is in front of me, i will overtake where it's safe to do so

the ONLY time i get irate is on the motorway when you have mr slow bumbling old fart in the outside lane doing 60 mph in the middle of the night

in which case i'm normally on the inside lane sailing past

as for gine, meeting him in person he's a totaly different guy, i think the internet ginge and the real world ginge are 2 very different people (although some say the same thing baout me too )
Old 19-03-2009, 09:54 AM
D700 OMB
Its standard!!

Have to agree,

Tailgating is for the&.
No need for it.
Brake test them, flick the foggs on, give them the eye in the mirror,back off the revs, put the rear skooshers on.

If all else fails and not moving to fast...Hand break the cunt and whatch them squirm all over the place.

Off topic but still funny.
Once in a slow moving traffic jam 15-30 mph some cheeky b'stid in some jap scrap tried to sneak up the inside of the works van,I says to my mate to open his door and block him.
He did, and the prick in the boxer engined rice moblie got the msg!

The roads are full of nobs who just dont wanna wait like eveybody else, be it in traffic jams or backroads when your in a line of cars doing the limit for the conditions, they dont think of the consiquences by tailgating everywhere they go.

Motorway driving is maybe a bit different tho, sitting in the middle or outside lane for no reason when the inside lane is empty is almost as bad as tailgating imho.
Old 19-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Masonny
Motorway driving is maybe a bit different tho, sitting in the middle or outside lane for no reason when the inside lane is empty is almost as bad as tailgating imho.
True but it doesnt excuse tailgating. Middle lane morons etc can be dealt with by almost cutting off thier bumper as you overtake I tend to come up the inside lane then overtake to outside then swerve straight to inside again so at least they might think "why is that man swerving back to inside lane?" maybe the penny will click that the inside lane exists for a reason!! Another trick is overtake them then slow down in middle lane
Old 19-03-2009, 10:08 AM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just slow down almost to a crawl, but my mate has the best one. He bought one of the LCD screens from speeding.co.uk that you mount in the back window. With a control unit, you can write whatever you want so it scrawls accross in big red letter....
Old 19-03-2009, 10:16 AM
D700 OMB
Its standard!!

Very true, tho some are stuck in their own little world or on the fone and are oblivious to your senario.

I found out in my previous saffs , that some well placed strobes in the headlights wired up correctly do the trick, as you approach them at speed, flick the switch and they will always move out the way thinkin its an un marked cop car.
Old 19-03-2009, 10:23 AM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

driving too close is dangerous for all parties
and watch out for ginge!he might spit in your face

Quick Reply: How do you all deal with tailgaters?