General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Looking to get a dog

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2009, 09:46 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a dog

Evening guys,

Been thinking about this for a while and want some advice from people on here. Due to some personal circumstances that I've been going through the past month or so and also because I've wanted one for absolutely ages, I'm thinking about getting a dog. Could really do with getting a new companion. I've done a bit of looking here and there but nothing major. Looked at a lot of types of dogs and I really fancy a german shepherd. They are really lovely dogs and look like they have a lot of love for their owners and seem very intelligent too.

Where would I go about seeking more information about where to get one? Do I go to a local rescue place or go private? Do I get one from a breeder or something? They can cost a lot of money from what I've seen. This is the first time I do something like this so any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 15-03-2009, 09:51 PM
ConnollyGT30
Regular Contributor

I would go for a rotty mate,amazing dogs and very loyal to thier owners no matter what bad press people give them...my fiance's mum has two...at the same time tho german shepards are great dogs,my aunt has 1 just now and my gran and grandad had 1 when i was growing up.
Old 15-03-2009, 09:53 PM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

German shepherds are exellent dogs i brought one home that had a been a gurad dog in a friends yard all its life never lived in a house and she was one of the best natured dogs i have ever came across, very loyal intelligent dogs and quite easy to train.
Old 15-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pani - personally if i were you honey, id find out where your local rescue centres are, as there may be dogs in there that you have never even considered!

Not only that, the staff there will be able to advise you on which dog may be suitable for you.

ie: due to work commitments/time constraints/local walks/family situation etc etc

Having a dog will be the best thing you have ever done in your life, if you get the right one for YOU.

Bare in mind, that any dog ideally shouldnt be left on its own for any more than 4 hours, you cant just randomly go away for the weekend, unless you have someone to look after the dog! Vets fee's can amount up, the RIGHT food can cost a fortune.

BUT

After all the bad points.... it will be a fantastic experiance!

Good luck!
Old 15-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Pani - where abouts in the uk are you?
Old 15-03-2009, 09:58 PM
kiddie
Advanced PassionFord User

I love our staffy, she is such a character so I vote staffy!
Old 15-03-2009, 10:02 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

There are other dogs I like but I've always loved german shepherds. Their size, their looks, their ability and their intelligence just does it all for me.

I am in North London, Maria.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

If youre north london, then go to Battersea dogs home!!

I got Smelly from battersea in Old Windsor, but had also been round the london centre too!

Be warned though, it is heartbreaking, and youll want to walk away with all of them!

And i am pretty certain there will be plenty of german shepherds, maybe even pups there wanting new homes!
Old 15-03-2009, 10:10 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

although i've got 2 rotts id say get a staff. They seem to be very obidient even in public with lots of things and people around!

i'll always have a rottweiler and mine are obideint but they can get very boisterous (sp) and its like trying to stop a bull, lol but staffs have started to appeal to me alot.

my friend has 2 staffs and i've probably put in more work in regards to training mine but his are more controlable!

theres probably lots of staffs in rescue centres as all those brain dead chavs keep getting them then abandoning them

one more thing, dont believe anything the press have said about rottys, they are lovely dogs and more labrador like than big bad ass dogs, very very affectionate and always the first to step between an argument or fight between family members to split the fued. Out of all dog breeds ive had my rotts have the most stable temprament and im never like "hmmm dont know how they'll react to that" if you know what i mean!

Last edited by cheeky dog; 15-03-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:16 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely bare it all in mind and get myself to a local rescue centre some time within the next two weeks maybe when I have time as things are hectic at the minute.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Personally, i wouldnt recommend a Rottie OR a Staffie as a first dog.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:28 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

staffs are fine as 1st dogs imo, rotts not so much.

but then again he wants a german sheperd, dont have experience with those but would have thought the same applies to not get those for a first pooch!
Old 15-03-2009, 10:31 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Well I'll see what the rescue centre says then guys. I doubt they'd let me have a dog that they think I couldn't handle or look after.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

I had a german shepherd as my first dog.... he was awesome, but it was heartbreaking when i saw him develop the typical hip issues that GS's get!
Old 15-03-2009, 10:38 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

having said that i got a rottweiler as my first dog!
Old 15-03-2009, 10:40 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Maria.
I had a german shepherd as my first dog.... he was awesome, but it was heartbreaking when i saw him develop the typical hip issues that GS's get!
ahh sheeeet, thats not good!

this is where cross breeds come into the equation as they dont suffer much from breed heritage dieses! but you dont know what they gonna be like when older either!
Old 15-03-2009, 10:42 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddie
I love our staffy, she is such a character so I vote staffy!
+1 couldnt be without mines now and havent ever saw an animal as devoted to anything as he is to me
Old 15-03-2009, 11:10 PM
ConnollyGT30
Regular Contributor

Rottys need a firm hand and need to be trained well or they will run the house! lol
Old 15-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Would be a boxer for me! Daft as fuck and they always make me laugh!

Only thing is they dribble everywhere! Lol!

Really miss my old one.
Old 15-03-2009, 11:21 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by ConnollyGT30
Rottys need a firm hand and need to be trained well or they will run the house! lol
indeedy

stubborn creatures, even when they give in they still give you that glancing evil eye. lol
Old 16-03-2009, 01:20 AM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got a bulldog as my first dog, talk about a stubborn bugger and the looks he gives you if he deciedes he dosent want to know lol. He has been hard work to get him to do everything but i got thier with him in the end.

When he dosent want to see you he turns his back to you and sits then tries to look over his shoulder now and then to see if im there. He thinks if he cant see me i cant see him haha proper amusing.

Last edited by john; 16-03-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 16-03-2009, 02:00 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i went out with a girl who had 3 german sheperds,all 3 ended up with bad hips,usually ending in them getting put down because of it,the youngest was prob about 10 when he got put down but he was really bad,he couldnt get to the toilet as his back legs wouldnt do what he wanted them to.great dogs,aprt from the hair.my neighbour has 2 that are outside all the time and my street sounds like battersee dogs home as the fxxkers bark day and night.i have 2 brown labs,mother and daughter,she was my 1st dog and has been brilliant,it is a big tie but i take them almost everywhere with me and when they are at home the pup gets kept in a cage till she stops eating the walls!good luck!
Old 16-03-2009, 02:10 AM
turboloon
PassionFord Regular

basset hounds they're great companion dogs but your better off getting 2 as they can be quite destructive if left on their own as they see this as a way off getting attention very strong willed as well but they're just characters,...well maybe a basset wouldn't be for you i don't want to be held accountable if one wrecks yer house!!!lol.but i have a soft spot for them..
Old 16-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Go all out and get a Japanese Akita.
Old 16-03-2009, 03:00 AM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a beagle or a husky
Old 16-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

A HUSKY!!! Are you mad!!!

Huskys are hard to cope with even by the MOST experienced dog handler!!!
Old 16-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

The RSPCA southridge centre just outside potters bar and also batersea dogs home are not too far away from you,

my oldest dog is from a rescue centre, he is my favortie, and i think thats because i know he had a shit life, being kicked around etc and now he is just a happy dog.
Old 16-03-2009, 10:23 AM
cossie*mad!
Fucked On Race Day!!

my german shepherd was the ultimate gaurd dog...but she got hip problems and was very tempremental - ended up being put down when she mauled my hand...replaced her with a (12 stone) rottie and he is the laziest, most loyal, soft and stupid dog ever (but he looks the part!) having said that i wouldn't want to be breaking in my house because he definitely wouldn't see the funny side lol
Old 16-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Always had german shepards lovely dogs would love another
Old 16-03-2009, 02:53 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i vote border collie,awesome clever dogs and take next to no looking after just need a lot of walks,mine was the runt of the litter but a very well behaved dog,never had a lead on him anywhere and he wouldnt wander off or go near other dogs even if i left him outside the shopping centre for a hour or so.
Old 16-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had a German Shepperd as my first dog, a Staffie as my 2nd and I have 2 Spaniels now - none of them have been any worse/better than others - they all have different personality traits, same as any human - so long as you love it and treat it right it will be one of the best things you ever do.

If you are intent on a German Shepperd it might be worth dropping Redkop a PM - she is nothing if not thorough - and she keeps GS - she'll be able to tell you anything you want to know about that breed. HTH

Jst remember though - they all need a lot of exercise - wind, snow, rain or sun - they have to go out!