General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is there a better designed plenum than this?

Search this Thread

Old 29-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul J
My RS500 plenum + Spacer flows 640bhp @ 2.5bar & then i stuff a 150 shot of Nitrous up it , the results speak for themself.
If there were any gains i would use something more bling but there aint, so in this instance i will put the 3k in my pocket & have a little chuckle.
Good Topic though.
Rod
How have you got so far yet soooo blinkered?

I have to agree How can people like Julian Godfrey, Mountune, Jenspeed etc be so wrong Maybe there engines one all those races and titles just by luck Im not saying MAD isnt a great tuner BUT Rod seriously think about what you wrote the companies tuners etc that use those plenums arent 2 bit nobodys they tried tested and have proven results across the world
Old 29-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Jamz
Advanced PassionFord User

Yes but surely Rod/Mark has proven that it does work ?
Old 29-11-2004, 08:33 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Its basically how you want your engine to behave and endure. A 300% increase in power sure isnt counted for on an intake. That much must be understood?

Originally Posted by Jamz
Old 29-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jamz
Agreed and im not taking anything away from there GREAT achivements but then surely Mountune, Godfrey etc have also proven theres work I mean if MADs way was better surely he would be supplying all the top Rally X cars engines at 40k a pop and maybe the odd Pikes Peak winner etc etc
Old 29-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Paul J
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

No-one is saying that they dont 'work' but at what point are they the restriction and would the gain be worth the price.
Old 29-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surely the rs500 plenum was designed to run 500+ bhp in the touring cars...the fact the showroom model only had 220 or whatevr is irrelevant
Old 29-11-2004, 08:43 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

I went on Mark Sheads advice on this inlet . also he has backed up what i want and he will deliver it

so theres no doubts on weather it will help, maybe im lookin for sum more oomph
Old 29-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Jamz

No-one is saying that they dont 'work' but at what point are they the restriction and would the gain be worth the price.
What I was getting at is that Rod's plenum is sufficient for what his target bhp was. I can't honestly believe that MAD would knowningly use a bit of kit that wasn't up to the job.
Old 29-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

If the inlet has equil egt for each cyclinder then surely its flowing the same and equal. I guess mark tested this as part of his design, i mean standard rs500 item.

Mine has been tested and flows the same on each cyclinder THank you wee man
Old 29-11-2004, 08:51 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Sure would be nice if things were like that, its as a fact a matter of how you want your car too behave again... The touring cars were running high revs and big boosts all day as well as taking the engines apart quite more often than you and me. Besides that, this plenum is restrictive in ways when running with those power outputs, one of the reasons for needing big boost. Im not pleased with running it that way, therefore im not going for a similar item.

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
surely the rs500 plenum was designed to run 500+ bhp in the touring cars...the fact the showroom model only had 220 or whatevr is irrelevant
Old 29-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Paul J

What I was getting at is that Rod's plenum is sufficient for what his target bhp was
Didn't think they set out with a target BHP Figure
Old 29-11-2004, 09:00 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Anyone got pictures of the rs500 intake in more detail? A lot easier to reason around a picture than throwing out words in blind...
Old 29-11-2004, 10:26 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

ill post pics of the mis one on weekend hexxon of the inside
Old 29-11-2004, 10:49 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Great RANJ, thanks mate, would be perfect to get some pictures of the RS500-intake from the inside as well, so that everybody might see the differences.
Old 29-11-2004, 11:05 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

I can tell you that much that the tg-racing plenum er testet and build pretty much in a flow bench, and the flow + the flow speed is absolut phenominal...
Just ask Ahmed Bayoo, he has testet it and has said good for it...
I have testet it on a car that we mapped for a standard plenum with approxemetly 450bhp, and the result was astunishing.
EXTREEMELY bettre low torque and no problems at the top end what so ever...
It was actualy build as a copy to the ones they build on the 1000+bhp supras and skylines.... and they seem to work???
Old 30-11-2004, 10:21 AM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Yes, these plenums are really good for engines aiming for high power. Besides this, the throttle response is fairly good as well. BUT! As with all plenums incorporating side-entry inlets, a large amount of turbulence will be created where its least needed at higher air velocities, beneath the rampipes, so no optimal volumetric efficiency on high revolutions. Think of it yourselves, you push all the air towards the point thats on the opposite side of the entrance, where it rebounds towards the wall heading back towards the entrance, it will always be encountering a more dense and faster mass of air -> turbulence! The tapering of the plenum easens it up a bit, but only to a certain extent. The plenum will, as cossiemanden says it, be performing very well on low revs, where fairly low air velocities are present. This is because of the large volume of the chamber, the air will be slowed down very efficiently, thus generating nice volumetric efficiency. The cylinder closest to the inlet will be receiving more air at low revs, and the cylinder most far away of it at high revs. On this plenum, the inequality of distribution is said to be 6%, at what air velocities that is, i dont know... Under similar conditions the MIS is better, with only 4% inequality according to my source... But as you might have understood its a complete different variant of plenum and intake.

Ive probably begun to sound like a little whining son of a bitch to many, sorry for that, i just want people to start think about it for themselves!

Probably the best plenum ive seen for non-steering applications anyhow imo. Used on two rallycross cars besides that... Dont know which ones...

Might as well contribute with some pictures me, demanding it from everybody else

http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/10.jpg
http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/11.jpg
http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/12.jpg
http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/14.jpg

Originally Posted by cossiemanden
I can tell you that much that the tg-racing plenum er testet and build pretty much in a flow bench, and the flow + the flow speed is absolut phenominal...
I have testet it on a car that we mapped for a standard plenum with approxemetly 450bhp, and the result was astunishing.
It was actualy build as a copy to the ones they build on the 1000+bhp supras and skylines.... and they seem to work???
Old 30-11-2004, 10:37 AM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by hexxon
Yes, these plenums are really good for engines aiming for high power. Besides this, the throttle response is fairly good as well. BUT! As with all plenums incorporating side-entry inlets, a large amount of turbulence will be created where its least needed at higher air velocities, beneath the rampipes, so no optimal volumetric efficiency on high revolutions. Think of it yourselves, you push all the air towards the point thats on the opposite side of the entrance, where it rebounds towards the wall heading back towards the entrance, it will always be encountering a more dense and faster mass of air -> turbulence! The tapering of the plenum easens it up a bit, but only to a certain extent. The plenum will, as cossiemanden says it, be performing very well on low revs, where fairly low air velocities are present. This is because of the large volume of the chamber, the air will be slowed down very efficiently, thus generating nice volumetric efficiency. The cylinder closest to the inlet will be receiving more air at low revs, and the cylinder most far away of it at high revs. On this plenum, the inequality of distribution is said to be 6%, at what air velocities that is, i dont know... Under similar conditions the MIS is better, with only 4% inequality according to my source... But as you might have understood its a complete different variant of plenum and intake.

Ive probably begun to sound like a little whining son of a bitch to many, sorry for that, i just want people to start think about it for themselves!

Probably the best plenum ive seen for non-steering applications anyhow imo. Used on two rallycross cars besides that... Dont know which ones...

Might as well contribute with some pictures me, demanding it from everybody else

http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/10.jpg
http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/11.jpg
http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/12.jpg
http://fmcs.mer.nu/artiklar/tg/bilder/14.jpg

Originally Posted by cossiemanden
nice plenums mate

do these work well then
Old 30-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brom,
Yes they do - as proven on Lee's engine . This is the inlet that I supply .

The price is on my website and includes all the parts that you see in the photos (apart from the throttle body), but comes with a different thottle cable bracket (picture in gallery) to suit the standard throttle body .
Old 30-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Well i never all these cars & mega plenums & only mine past 200 & you guys call me Blinkered.

The hit on Nitrous nearly tears your head off & thats restrictive your having a Larff.
Rod
Old 30-11-2004, 12:21 PM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh no not again mike you worm

the hauser racing plenum (spoon copy)deisned in march 2002 ill be dyno tested in jan ya wana see my exhaust manifold aswell its got egt in every runner and in the collectot
now am on nms valve springs and cams and head solid lifters am gona run 9200 on they dyno ( will i ever learn my lesson)
Old 30-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MADRod
Well i never all these cars & mega plenums & only mine past 200 & you guys call me Blinkered.
Rod
200mph is a great achivement but controlling your ego seems to be a much harder discipline for you
Old 30-11-2004, 01:18 PM
DuncanK
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

No wonder Mark Shead always drives Rods Saff, I doubt he can even get his head in the car.

Old 30-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Brom you big bear - you must be so tight that you squeak when you walk , as you could buy a ready made inlet that has already undergone loads of dyno time to get it as good as possible, instead of trying to make one from scratch yourself .
Old 30-11-2004, 03:46 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Havent called you that though, but its a bit naive to think in those ways... The nitrous hasnt got anything with your plenum, intake or anything concerning airflow to do, you understand that right? Its just a way too extract more energy out of every combustion cycle. Nitrous isnt a real hp increase, just a temporary one. We have even heard in sweden about your car breaking the 200, nice for you!

Originally Posted by MADRod

The hit on Nitrous nearly tears your head off & thats restrictive your having a Larff.
Rod
Old 30-11-2004, 03:47 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Haha, nice one that!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Brom you big bear - you must be so tight that you squeak when you walk , as you could buy a ready made inlet that has already undergone loads of dyno time to get it as good as possible, instead of trying to make one from scratch yourself .
Old 30-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

So Patrik, in your studies at Uni, have you designed a perfectly equal (high) flow inlet for the YB? If so, got any photos?
Old 30-11-2004, 04:06 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Well, as im studying computer science, or language technology primarily, my studies arent directly connected to fluid dynamics or the likewise. My interest in flows and engines is since long rooted otherwise.

My plenum design is fair enough i guess. Not yet constructed though, as i mentioned earlier. Will be CAM-milled out of two solid blocks of aluminium in a month or so. The job itself takes a full day in a Deckel Maho mill with 6 or 7 axles, cant remember which, where the spindle is rotating in 40000 rpm. So its two quite complex pieces. I actually prefer not to show any of the 3d-models or drawings, but rather display the final product when its done. And there WILL be photos, i promise

If anyone has a possibility of hosting a few pictures i might show up some pictures of an early version of the modified runners and rampipes which will be used? If theres any interest in that, that is?

Cheers!

So Patrik, in your studies at Uni, have you designed a perfectly equal (high) flow inlet for the YB? If so, got any photos?
Old 30-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Hexxon, Try using www.photobucket.com for your pic hosting mate. Thats what most of us use

And thanks for your interesting input on this thread. Most of its over my head But I enjoyed trying to understand it anyway
Old 30-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Email me the photos Patrik and I will put them up for you - mike@rjpipe.demon.co.uk .
Old 30-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Email me the photos Patrik and I will put them up for you - mike@rjpipe.demon.co.uk .
You mean you will post them up on your site with a P.O.A next to the price box!!!!

Old 30-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Am I REALLY that transparant? ?
Old 30-11-2004, 04:37 PM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

am struggling to servive mike cars built on a buject am hoping your going to buy me a new flow jet pump for my water injectoin for christamas beacuze i am your biggist fan
STAN
Old 30-11-2004, 04:45 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

Haha! NO, believe ive sent the pictures to the devil then!

Originally Posted by Porkie
You mean you will post them up on your site with a P.O.A next to the price box!!!!

Old 30-11-2004, 04:48 PM
hexxon
Regular Contributor

No probs! Thanks for enjoying it actually! As porting, and flow in any way, has long been one of my greatest interests ill gladly discuss it with anybody thats interested in hearing about it.

And thanks for your interesting input on this thread. Most of its over my head But I enjoyed trying to understand it anyway
Old 30-11-2004, 04:59 PM
leecavturbo

is there 4 individual butterfly's or one big one before the plenum on the cosworth's ?
Old 30-11-2004, 05:04 PM
AJ Escos

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
is there 4 individual butterfly's or one big one before the plenum on the cosworth's ?
one big one m8
Old 30-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by BROM@ZOO
now am on nms valve springs and cams and head solid lifters am gona run 9200 on they dyno ( will i ever learn my lesson)
NO you wont, but thats GOOD

Cant wait to see the results (i mean the power/torque, not any bad results like a bang, lol)

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
Just 1 mate, but with cars with 1 for each cyl they usualy convert to one with REALLY big power anyhow (eg GTRs)
Old 30-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by DuncanK
No wonder Mark Shead always drives Rods Saff, I doubt he can even get his head in the car.

He seldom drives my car buddy, im actually using it for comuting at the mo so getting a lot of the rush hour nonsense a real tribute to the master Mr Shead.
Old 30-11-2004, 05:37 PM
_Ben_
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Now we know who the supplier is we can just cut out the middle man

Kidding of course.
Old 30-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Come on Mike where are these pictures

Quick Reply: Is there a better designed plenum than this?