General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tax and MOT question

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2009, 12:17 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax and MOT question

Ok my MOT runs out on 2nd March which is next monday. Car is to go in for MOT on the monday (which it better bloody pass).

My tax runs out Saturday. So I want to go get tax on friday, using the old MOT. Its a while since I've done it, but I'm sure last time I tried this they wouldnt let me.

As far as I'm aware, all I need is a valid MOT (which I have), so can they legally refuse me road tax?
Old 24-02-2009, 12:25 PM
BDBCOS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Ok my MOT runs out on 2nd March which is next monday. Car is to go in for MOT on the monday (which it better bloody pass).

My tax runs out Saturday. So I want to go get tax on friday, using the old MOT. Its a while since I've done it, but I'm sure last time I tried this they wouldnt let me.

As far as I'm aware, all I need is a valid MOT (which I have), so can they legally refuse me road tax?
I have been refused because MOT expiry is to close to new tax date. Do it online, they should issue road tax, as the computer will only check that MOT expiry is after the start of the month.
Old 24-02-2009, 12:29 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by BDBCOS
I have been refused because MOT expiry is to close to new tax date. Do it online, they should issue road tax, as the computer will only check that MOT expiry is after the start of the month.

I have been refused in the past too ( years ago though)
But from what I've read, they cant actually refuse me. I am thinking of doing it online, but its just easier to do it at the post office
Old 24-02-2009, 12:32 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So long as you have ins and mot for the DAY the new tax is to start they cannot refuse.
tabetha
Old 24-02-2009, 12:36 PM
kaking1982
Regular Contributor

just done mine last month they didnt refuse it i did it online my mot run out a few days after my tax
Old 24-02-2009, 12:47 PM
RSandy

Originally Posted by tabetha
So long as you have ins and mot for the DAY the new tax is to start they cannot refuse.
tabetha
this is correct

the insurance and MOT documents must be valid on the start day of the tax period, so in the case of this thread, the tax wud start sunday 1st march, and the mot would run out on monday the 2nd, so they SHOULD issue the disc

but a lot of post offices, sometimes require the doc's to be valid for the 1st 30days of the tax period, just to be awkward.

guess this 1 could end up being luck of the draw really, worth a punt anyways
Old 24-02-2009, 12:55 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by RSandy
but a lot of post offices, sometimes require the doc's to be valid for the 1st 30days of the tax period, just to be awkward.

I think this is purely down to the old biddy at the post office. I just want to be sure, that when I tell her to get her manager and then phone DVLA for clarification (if it comes to that) that I dont look like an arse, because I'm worng

Maybe I'll just do it online. My problem is that I have Stamps to use at the post office to pay it, but I can keep them for something else.
Old 24-02-2009, 12:55 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

why not tax in now and it will just get added onto the tax you already have! thewn you have a whole week left! nopt just a day or so!
Old 24-02-2009, 01:11 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by nilrem
why not tax in now and it will just get added onto the tax you already have! thewn you have a whole week left! nopt just a day or so!
Because I work for a living, and the Post Office wont open specially for me at 7 o clock.