General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

apprenticeships?

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2009, 12:12 PM
gingerman
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apprenticeships?

Basically just had to leave my transport refrigeration apprenticeship due to my boss not sending me to collage and was wondering what is the best way to get an apprenticeship in motorsport and or the tuning world?

I currently have 2 years hgv mechanic experience working for DHL before the site was closed by Morrisons and almost 1.5 years transport refrigeration experience for Pullmans which isn't that helpful i know

I have a passion for cars and am currently building a track focused 206 gti for fun and would like to merge my passion for performance cars with my job
Im not really into big bumpers and speakers that set car alarms off id rather strip it, cage it and use it but thats just me
currently in the tamworth area but willing to travel

any suggestions on who to contact or where to go

thanks chris

Last edited by gingerman; 16-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 16-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Kamike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Get yourself a good CV and covering letter to start with mate, other than that i cant help but im sure some one on here can point you in the right direction. Have you had a look online to see whats avaliable?
Old 16-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

You'll be lucky!

Nearly all the UK based F1 teams have made staff redundant in the last few months (some are this month) due to the testing ban. Several F3 teams have made cut backs. (RRR) WRC have made staff cutbacks. Superleague (that Football tie in) have just let half their engine build staff go. GT racing is on a bit of stop.

Bottom line is that all these EXPERIENCED staff are now floating around trying to find jobs. Only company that I KNOW ran apprenticeships was Prodrive, but IIRC they stopped a while back.

All I see advertised at the moment is HGV technician jobs. They'll always be lorries carting stuff around, so don't give up on that just yet.
Old 16-02-2009, 02:45 PM
gingerman

i know that they will always need hgv mechanics but want something to keep ,e interested prodrive did do them yes they are keeping there current trainees and not hiring any more
im going to do a cv tonight and ill send it to some different places
Old 16-02-2009, 02:58 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

There was a similar question on the British Rally forum about this. The general consensus seems to be that a general engineering apprentiship is your best bet.

Many people did "motosport" ones with tuners and garages, but not many have good words to say about them...

im currently a 2nd year at Bombardier Transportation - building trains... ok its not cars or tuning, but the general engineering practices are the same and i continue to build my car up. With the help of a haynes manual and my own knowledge i can do most things, and im sure if i get stuck i could ask on here and get helpful answers!

i know its probably not the answer you a re looking for, but the motorsport/ car industry is in dissaray at the moment - look at BMW today, 850 odd contractors laid off - so who is going to want to pay for an apprentice when they are getting rid of experienced guys?

Hope this helps

Good luck!
Old 16-02-2009, 03:08 PM
gingerman

what qualifications are you getting at the end of your course nilrem?
Old 16-02-2009, 03:48 PM
johncossie
Regular Contributor

I am studying at swansea met uni for a Hnd in motorsport engineering and going to do my degree next year, but we have all been repeatly told by our lectures that there is hardly any jobs out there at the moment. But a lot of students i know have got placements for when they leave in the summer through tie ins with companys they have worked along side for there 3rd year projects. So maybe u should look into doing a uni course in motorsport if no luck with an apprenticeship.
Old 16-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by johncossie
I am studying at swansea met uni for a Hnd in motorsport engineering and going to do my degree next year, but we have all been repeatly told by our lectures that there is hardly any jobs out there at the moment. But a lot of students i know have got placements for when they leave in the summer through tie ins with companys they have worked along side for there 3rd year projects. So maybe u should look into doing a uni course in motorsport if no luck with an apprenticeship.

Good idea. Get him to waste 3 years of his life, run up a massive student debt all for a career in a profession that's massively over subscribed.

To quote a friend of mine. (Degree educated, former F1)

"The days of massive staff numbers and millions of dollars are virtually over"
Old 16-02-2009, 04:10 PM
johncossie
Regular Contributor

It was just an idea for him to consider if he had no luck on the apprenticeship route, and hopefully in a few years the whole industry will reinvent itself and the work will be there.
Old 16-02-2009, 06:15 PM
gingerman

Thanks for the suggestion john but i dont think i could manage going to uni

I prefer to learn by getting my hands dirty and would prefer a garage or similar

I think doing an apprenticeship in engineering and then moving into the tuning world would be the best thing if i have no response from any tuning company's
Old 16-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as others have said probably best going for the general enginering and then taking from there once you have some qualifications.
and in mean timemaybe try getting involved in some local motorsport and get to know folk that way and offer to help for free etc and try build up experiance that way.
it will always help on your cv once you get your qualifications
Old 17-02-2009, 08:59 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by gingerman
what qualifications are you getting at the end of your course nilrem?
level 3 NVQ in mechanical principles (i think) and also currntly finishing a HNC in manufacturing and mechanical engineering. looking to to HND next year
Old 17-02-2009, 10:56 AM
gingerman

Just joined british rally see if they can help as well
I wouldn't mind working for a while free just to get some more experience for my cv
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
gingerman

got some work this weekend on a rally car which will look good on the cv