General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Weddings.....

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2009, 02:50 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weddings.....

Whats the average cost these days for weddings?? Is it also now not traditional for the brides father to get involved in terms of cost???

I mean, like, her family know we are engaged but how do you kind of go about askimg them??

Or is it wrong and its expected the groom pays for it all?
Old 14-02-2009, 02:55 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

We are in the process of planning a wedding and my bird's parents are contributing fook all. I think if you are a wealthy pair, then I think you should pay for it yourself and accept a gift or some flowers etc on the day from the brides parents, or if you are not very well off then yes, I think it is still tradition for the bride's parents to contribute!
Old 14-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We paid for ours with our parents contributing, had an absolutely cracking day and came in at under 2.5k

that included a 120 people evening reception

I think if your careful you can do it " cheap " but still have an awesome time.

Had we not had Lees mum doing our catering i would have loved a hog roast Which is well cheap and a right talking point
Old 14-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

and to add, we didnt ask them to pay anything, my dad said he would pay for the reception venue, the flowers and cars, Lees parents offered to pay for reception catering and the cake.
Old 14-02-2009, 03:00 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
We paid for ours with our parents contributing, had an absolutely cracking day and came in at under 2.5k

that included a 120 people evening reception

I think if your careful you can do it " cheap " but still have an awesome time.

Had we not had Lees mum doing our catering i would have loved a hog roast Which is well cheap and a right talking point

I agree - weddings these days seem to be about competing with each other to see who has the flashiest cars/best flower/best outfits etc!
Old 14-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Gooey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

My wedding come in way under 2k, mainly due to having great freinds and family that helped out.
Old 14-02-2009, 03:07 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

ours in 2 weeks today is costing about 5.5-6k..........and it's nowt flash......alot paid for by parents/grandparents.......i'm fucked cos the hall only holds 200 people.....god it's going to be tight as i've invited 250..............

Trending Topics

Old 14-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sludge honey it is all down to what you want....

Tradionaly, the brides parents pay for ALL of the wedding..... but from what i can gather this rarely happens now.

As for approaching them.... once you have set a date, you should kind of 'gather' your parents and her parents, and let them know how you would like them to be a part of the wedding.... then this naturally kind of progresses on to who pays for what.

If you think about going abroad, some resorts do some fantastic packages for a very reasonable price.

That way you can combine your wedding with your honeymoon, and also have a knees up back in the uk for the people that couldnt make it abroad!

But id say prepare yourself to be spending at least a few thousand pounds minimum.

I would SO love to be a wedding planner!
Old 14-02-2009, 03:09 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

10k for ours,tried to keep it to 7.5k but it just seemed to eat up money neerer the day.you could keep on spending 10's of thousands if you wanted these days as it seems if you need 100 baloons for a kids party they are 100 quid but if you mention the word wedding it goes up to 500!

we had a great day but have said since that the money could have been spent on other things,vegas and a reception would be my choice

my mate spent 4-5k on his wedding and my brother spent 15k on his,i had as good a day at both so money spent doesn't matter too much.

oh and my mum gave us 2.5k and here dad gave us 2k.got about another 500-1k fom other family members towards it.

Last edited by dovboy; 14-02-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 14-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Smiggy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

We got married last August. I would say we were both above average in terms of how well off we are. We never asked either set of parents to pay anything towards it, but my father in law insisted on it as that's the way it is. Don't know about down south, but certainly up here it's the father of the bride that pays for his daughters wedding. We had many heated discussions over this (no fall outs however), but it all seemed to come down to both his and my pride. In the end we agreed on accepting a contribution from him towards the costs, and they also weighed in with some spending money for the honeymoon. We had to lie to him as to the final cost of the wedding so that he didn't insist on giving us more, but I think he knew we were hiding things from him. To be fair, I think he respected me more for it.

I tried to get away from individuals paying for this and individuals paying for that etc as I didn't want anyone thinking they had contributed to the whole costs of the reception, and others thinking they were paying for the cars and therefore had a say on them etc etc. All money, mine and my wifes parents went into the one pot and everything was paid for out of that. My folks unexpectantly gave us a few £k as well.

With regard to total cost it can be as high as you want. We had 100 come to church and then meal and about the same again as night guests. Had very little left out of £20k

Worth every penny tho.

SMG
Old 14-02-2009, 03:15 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

there were good wedding deals in cyprus when we were there,and the god of love is there!

no not barry white aphrodite.
Old 14-02-2009, 03:24 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

I've just been reading stuff onthe net and they was saying that an average cost was like £11000 these days

Interesting to see that some of you have done it on like 2500-5000. Problem for us is that we both know lots and lots of people and i think its the evening costs that will cause the excess.

the father in law to be, works for himself as a car salesman, and has his own yard with like 30 cars + so he isnt short. Hom and his wife go away abroad 3-4 times a year, but they have both done so much for us both already it seems cheeky to get him involved to pay for the wedding LOL.

Saw this and shit meself lol

Wedding receptions for dates in 2008 and 2009 are currently being quoted at £85 to £130 per person.

Last edited by The Sludge; 14-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 14-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Dependant on the month you get married in honey... you could have a bbq for the evening! hog roast!

It doesnt have to be expensive!
Old 14-02-2009, 03:54 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my auntie + uncle (as he is now ) got married in private small ceremony with just a few close family then went all out on a disco and buffet. everyone had a great time and it was quite cheap too considering, well it came to about 2k iirc.
Old 14-02-2009, 04:01 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

10K ours cost less than £500 all in, clothes, registry office, food for the do afterward and took less than two weeks to arrange, once we decided we were going to do it we wanted it done straightaway, neither of us wanted a big fuss and didn't even send out invites, we just told people where and when and said you can come if like but don't feel obliged, also told people not to buy gifts (we already had everything we needed) but if they must give something to donate a little to a good charity. Our biggest expense was the rings (not included in the £500) as they are the lasting symbol of our marriage. You don't have to spend loads on a wedding as its not really about the day, its what you are getting from the ceremony which hopefully is a lifetime of happiness and love together, isn't that what marriage is after all, a bond of absolute true love?

Debs
Old 14-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Hiya its Glenn's missus, i'm writing this as i did all the organising and finance side of our wedding so glenn doesnt have a clue bless him. I researched and the 'average' price for a wedding depending on where you live is between 12-18 grand!!!! god knows how! our day was exactly what we wanted and it cost around the 8 grand mark, however the venue and my dress was half the overall cost so we got flowers, cars, photos, stationary, rings, b/maid dresses, suits, church, gifts for the rest of the price.

We knew we wouldnt be able to pay for the lot so it was decided that we would go thirds with my mam and glenn's mam and dad with us paying a bigger third if thats makes sense.

I think if you use your sense and shop about you can get some real bargains. One of my bridesmaids bought me my tiara for christmas.....an ebay special from china i think. some may find it funny but i wasnt prepared to pay 90 quid for a piece of sparkly metal.

Same goes for invites etc, my friend made ours for us which helped, i know a funeral director/florist so they done all our flowers/table decorations etc for a reasonable price.

i think if you go to wedding fairs and just get loads of leaflets for different things, i.e. photographers/cars/suit hire etc it'll give you an idea of what costs there are, then you work out your budget from there.

At the end of the day what youve got to remember is its not how much your wedding costs that makes it 'better' if you like, we asked Glenn's friend to do our photos instead of hiring a professional. When we priced them up the cheapest quote we got was £1250 for about 40 photos. We asked everybody who took photos to put them onto a disc for us and we've since the wedding made a photobook album from Jessops which cost around 50quid which was a bargain and everyone we've shown it to have never seen one before.

One tip we were given is yes it costs but you want it to be your dream day and not to have wish days afterwards where you wished you'd done this and you wished you'd done that, its one of the biggest days of your life and you want to enjoy it.

I think i've rambled on enough now....hope that helps though!!
Old 14-02-2009, 04:39 PM
AndyGranger
Advanced PassionFord User

We got married in oct last year
Married in Dominican
Reception over here when we got back
Just under 6k for everything
Old 14-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

I used to be Head Waiter/Operations supervisor at a Hilton Hotel. We used to have couple spending anything from 5k to 30k.

As far as I see it is the more you spend on a wedding the less fun you can have while your in a relationship, holidays etc. A friend of mine at the moment is planning to spend 30k... 30 FUCKING THOUSAND POUNDS! I called her an asshole.

The whole point of the wedding is to have a good time and invite close friends and family, it's not to impress people.

I reckon spend 5-10k and you'll be able to enjoy your day along with enjoying the rest of your time together without feeling too much of a financial pinch
Old 14-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by pete mcrash
ours in 2 weeks today is costing about 5.5-6k..........and it's nowt flash......alot paid for by parents/grandparents.......i'm fucked cos the hall only holds 200 people.....god it's going to be tight as i've invited 250..............
but expect at least 15% to not arrive. we had about 15% of people who RSVP'd not come.
Old 14-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

ebay is your best friend imo when planning a wedding.

My tiara was a tenner, i sold it for £30 afterwards We got loads of things that would have been expensive for total bargain prices.

Evening reception if you have a finger buffet doesnt have to cost the earth.

The way we looked at it was, no matter how flash " the wedding " its the marriage thats important. 1 day of your life is the wedding, ive seen so many brides on the forum i used to moderate have mega " come down " after the wedding as they concentrated so hard on having this perfect day, that they didnt think of the normal life afterwards.

Id rather spend 2k on a decent day and 5k on a honeymoon
Old 14-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

My sis got married abroad. They went on a little holiday to San Francisco, got married in Las Vegas, honeymooned in Hawaii and had their reception when they got back home. There was about 200 people at the reception with hot food and the first couple of drinks laid on and all that was around £7k.
Old 14-02-2009, 06:02 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We're currently planning a wedding for next year...not a huge event just a little one. We're lucky though as her folks are paying for most of it.....they spent around 120k on holidays last year so our wedding shouldnt be much trouble

A old workmate's parent in laws to be hired out a castle for their daughters and his wedding, around 33k....sod that on one day
Old 14-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Gooey

Originally Posted by Maria.
Dependant on the month you get married in honey... you could have a bbq for the evening! hog roast!

It doesnt have to be expensive!
We did a BBQ, weather was superb, atmosphere was relaxed and ppl still talk about it today

And this was one of our wedding cars

Old 14-02-2009, 06:09 PM
john_p_b

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ours is end of october this year, so far we've worked everything down to a max of 6.5k but depending on what we can beg steal and borrow then it could come down to 5.5k.

we've got 2.5k from each of our parents so it only leaves us to find £1500 between us and considering i've told my folks and her folks about the 2k engine rebuild for my saph i didn't think i had much room to plead poverty really.
Old 14-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

i remember being told about your wedding bbq!

Shame i wasnt invited......
Old 14-02-2009, 06:15 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by john_p_b
ours is end of october this year, so far we've worked everything down to a max of 6.5k but depending on what we can beg steal and borrow then it could come down to 5.5k.

we've got 2.5k from each of our parents so it only leaves us to find £1500 between us and considering i've told my folks and her folks about the 2k engine rebuild for my saph i didn't think i had much room to plead poverty really.

Ay up John, where you having yours then fella?

Looks like we're having a small do at Yew Lodge in Keggy....wanted Whatton House between Keg and Hathern, up on the hill, but we're only having around 40 guests, so they would be rattling around in that big place
Old 14-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Gooey

Originally Posted by Maria.
i remember being told about your wedding bbq!

Shame i wasnt invited......

I hardly knew you at the time Maz
Old 14-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Gooey
I hardly knew you at the time Maz
pah... excuses excuses.....
Old 14-02-2009, 07:26 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

mate is getting hitched in April, was going to cost around 9k.

Attends a function at the place they are getting married where they do a raffle, the winner get the wedding for FREE!!

He won it !!!! plus there day has been upgraded!!! Still got the outfits and cars etc but the whole meal, drink , room, buffets, hotel rooms for the night, totally free.

He is a little more than pleased being as money was getting tight.
Old 14-02-2009, 07:44 PM
cozzymatt

I am getting married tomorrow! (shiting it a bit now if im honest, lol) our wedding has cost just over 13k, her folks put 5k towards it as did mine and we have paid for the rest! helps when you have a best mate as a florist ,
We are getting married at Prestwold hall in leics and just having a ceremony and a meal for everyone (about 100 people), didnt really want a party night doo type thing after as we are always out anyway! lol..

we have been together for 12 years so its well overdue really..

will report back after the event

Old 14-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by The Sludge
Whats the average cost these days for weddings?? Is it also now not traditional for the brides father to get involved in terms of cost???

I mean, like, her family know we are engaged but how do you kind of go about askimg them??

Be thankful your not indian. Our weddings cost a minimum 50k. And i swear to god we tend to invite people we have never seen but are in some way related to us lol
Old 14-02-2009, 07:53 PM
john_p_b

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie604
Ay up John, where you having yours then fella?

Looks like we're having a small do at Yew Lodge in Keggy....wanted Whatton House between Keg and Hathern, up on the hill, but we're only having around 40 guests, so they would be rattling around in that big place

donington manor hotel for the reception and actual wedding up at st james church in oaks in charnwood. (church not my idea by the way!) but the pics should look good as it's set quite nice and i've already picked out where the cars are being set for the pictures
Old 14-02-2009, 07:57 PM
rs1072
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cozzymatt
I am getting married tomorrow! (shiting it a bit now if im honest, lol) our wedding has cost just over 13k, her folks put 5k towards it as did mine and we have paid for the rest! helps when you have a best mate as a florist ,
We are getting married at Prestwold hall in leics and just having a ceremony and a meal for everyone (about 100 people), didnt really want a party night doo type thing after as we are always out anyway! lol..

Good luck mate
Old 14-02-2009, 07:58 PM
rs1072
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by stillbornhq
Be thankful your not indian. Our weddings cost a minimum 50k. And i swear to god we tend to invite people we have never seen but are in some way related to us lol
omg
Old 14-02-2009, 08:07 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cozzymatt

Fooking hell....good luck Matt, have a great day!.....with it being at Prestwold do you get a few laps of the track thrown in?

Originally Posted by john_p_b
donington manor hotel for the reception and actual wedding up at st james church in oaks in charnwood. (church not my idea by the way!) but the pics should look good as it's set quite nice and i've already picked out where the cars are being set for the pictures
Manor Hotel, is that the one next to the Turks head? We sent off for a brochure for the Preist house just out side Dono but nothing came back, so sod em You still want my old knacker? We've hopefully got a 3dr of each colour for our day
Old 14-02-2009, 08:13 PM
cozzymatt

Originally Posted by cossie604
Fooking hell....good luck Matt, have a great day!.....with it being at Prestwold do you get a few laps of the track thrown in?

Manor Hotel, is that the one next to the Turks head? We sent off for a brochure for the Preist house just out side Dono but nothing came back, so sod em You still want my old knacker? We've hopefully got a 3dr of each colour for our day

Funnily enough Stu, yeah! had an hour there last weekend in the lambo's and gave my M3 a right good spanking, even the owner of one of the lambos asked for a blast in it and said it was more fun than his car! ...

Thanks for the good wishes guys
Old 14-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sludge

Funny you should ask, after what I saw today NOT A FUCKING LOT.

Went to the local carvery to try and get some tea and there is a wedding meal going on, chatting to the lass behind the bar

They got married at the local park, went to the carvery for their meal using 2 for 1 vouchers
I am presuming the reception is outside the local Co-Op with a bottle of Shite lightening
Proper Council effort, 1 of the kids wearing a football shirt
Old 14-02-2009, 08:33 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

We got married in Mauritius, purely because i dont do the 'god'thing at all, im not hypocritical when it comes to doing god things so th eonly conditions of me agreeing to get married was do it abroad !

Best day of my life (well equal to my son being born), it cost us £5.5k all in two weeks in a 5 star hotel, we did nothing at all, the organisers did everything, even picked us up and took us across town for the licence in the court when we got there !

was superb, just sent a mass text saying we were getting married, date, time and location!!

16 people turned up - was amazing, the expensive part was the evening do when we got back, that was a bout a grand fro one night for the people who couldnt make it, but we got that back and a bit more in cash presents !!

I just dont understand why people pay the UK tax to get married .
Old 14-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by rs1072
omg
Exactly lol

One of the reasons i refuse to get married. That sort of money is enough to start your lives together.
Old 14-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

cozzymatt - Hope you have a fantastic time tomorrow!