General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I overstayed my welcome in McDonalds....

Search this Thread

Old 13-02-2009, 12:38 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts
Default I overstayed my welcome in McDonalds....

And got a FUCKING PARKING FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grr i'm fuming

Went to stansted a couple of weekends ago to collect my mum and dad from the airport. Their flight was delayed so I parked up in mcdonalds, went in and had some food (ok, a lot as i'm a pig) and ate it slowly while sitting in there on their wireless on my laptop. I had a couple of coffees after too as it was cold and I was tired.

Anyway, got a letter through the door today, saying that I was in there for 78mins, and the limit is 60 mins, so I am being charged £50 for the pleasure. If I don't pay in 28 days, I'll owe £100, then in another 28 days i'll have the baliff knocking on my door.

Anything I can do? Was hardly as If I parked there for free and fucked off to the shops....

Rich
Old 13-02-2009, 12:41 PM
RS 5tu
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Twats. How dare you spend you money there and expect to enjoy it, YOU HOOLIGAN

Last edited by RS 5tu; 13-02-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 13-02-2009, 12:42 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you pay cash of card? it is worth contacting them & telling them the truth, they may be leniant, especially if you have proof you bought a few items.
Old 13-02-2009, 12:42 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a load of bollocks, hate shit like that
Old 13-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Pete frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuck that,havnt heard that before,cheeky twats,not as if the foods all that anyway......er,c.a.b mate,all i can think off.........
Old 13-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have signs saying that 60mins is the maximum? If not how would you of known!!?
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

tell them bollcoks u was in the resturant buying stuff and they should check there CCTV
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats a fukcing joke. Buncha tossers. I thought when i first read the title you left it in there for a week, which would be fair enough. But 78mins.
Old 13-02-2009, 12:46 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

Sorry to hear this mate, is there a sign up to say you must not park for longer that 60 mins even if you are still in the restaurant?

If there isn't you might have a strong case
Old 13-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I wouldn't even entertain them with a response. They will send a few threats. Some from the courts, some to tell you they called and you was out, and they may even turn up at the door once to scare you. It's all a load of bollocks.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 13-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 13-02-2009, 12:51 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How can they dictate how long you should take to eat a meal... seems mad to me.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13-02-2009, 12:51 PM
RS 5tu
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a woman who got a fine at KFC she stayed over 1hr while she ate a whole bargin bucket.
Old 13-02-2009, 01:33 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

tell them you would have left earlier if their fast food wasn't so slow
Old 13-02-2009, 01:36 PM
BANNED
BANNED

private firm there all cowboys, dont pay you can get away with it. they wills end some letters threatening the earth tho
Old 13-02-2009, 01:46 PM
RobCarden
358bhp

i ve had a few tickets on private land... tescos etc... always bin them - never hear anything...... don't worry about it... don't think they can enforce it... they are just reliant on a percentage of people paying up no questions asked.....

or

go in and see the manager.... he will say its out of his control as the company that manages the car park deals with all complaints but if you make enough fuss in his restraunt he will make a call to them just to get rid of you....
Old 13-02-2009, 02:41 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

Not unheard off and while i can't confirm about this particular restuaront most Mc Donalds (around my way) have big yellow signs informing customers of this releativly new parking restrction.

It was in the news paper a while back when a couple of city slickers had a meeting in Mc D's over a coffee and got fined for it. I suppose the company footed the bill.

Be carefull as these things (if they know who you are (car is registerd to you and home address etc)) have a habit off staying on your credit file for years resulting in you struggleing for credit even for a biro!

From experience i would pay the fine before it increases unless the car isn't registered to you or family/friend etc
Old 13-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Bazzon
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1757267.ece

Wasnt you aswell was it :P
Old 13-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had one of these letters from a retail car park, I ignored it and nothing ever happened.

I dont know if that is always the case, so not really offering advice as im not qualified to do so with only 1 experience of it, I might have got lucky, but just thought I would share what happened to me in case its of use to you.
Old 13-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t1g
Be carefull as these things (if they know who you are (car is registerd to you and home address etc)) have a habit off staying on your credit file for years resulting in you struggleing for credit even for a biro!

From experience i would pay the fine before it increases unless the car isn't registered to you or family/friend etc
Dont think so!!!! You havent signed a credit agreement with them or anyone and they aint regulated under any financial regulations so its not a credit issue.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by Bazzon

Love that story. "Fast Food Fan"

no shit! Look at the state of it!

EDITED to add.

I don't believe anyone stays in a McDonalds for 78 mins. Admit it, you had somethng to eat then went off elsewhere. Fair enough, lots of people do. Otherwise you'd be going to the place and requesting the CCTV proof that you were on site the whole time. Assuming you were of course

Last edited by Rich_w; 13-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:14 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

i speak from experience that these things, if not dealt with and they know who you are, will not go away until 6/7 years or something. I never signed an agreement to park in a car park in Croydon, they sent various letters which i ignored sent people round twice etc and for something else i got a summonds. Point is they can (if they now who you are and have evidence) take you to court which can lead to defaults and CCJ's, both of which will effect your credit file and increase the fine.

Man up and pay the fine would be my advice, will save you a load of ball ache in the future!
Old 13-02-2009, 03:20 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by 5t1g
i speak from experience that these things, if not dealt with and they know who you are, will not go away until 6/7 years or something. I never signed an agreement to park in a car park in Croydon, they sent various letters which i ignored sent people round twice etc and for something else i got a summonds. Point is they can (if they now who you are and have evidence) take you to court which can lead to defaults and CCJ's, both of which will effect your credit file and increase the fine.

Man up and pay the fine would be my advice, will save you a load of ball ache in the future!

Cheers all for the advice. Maybe there was a sign there, I dunno. But I definately didn't see it. I do agree with you that paying the fine will probably be the best thing to do just to get it out of the way, however I feel that it is wrong that I should be doing so!

Maybe i should just write them a cheque with smeared shit
Old 13-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Rich_w
I don't believe anyone stays in a McDonalds for 78 mins. Admit it, you had somethng to eat then went off elsewhere. Fair enough, lots of people do. Otherwise you'd be going to the place and requesting the CCTV proof that you were on site the whole time. Assuming you were of course

Ive gone to a mcdonalds and slowly had a couple of cups of tea whilst using the wi-fi connection when Ive been going to meet someone at the airport too, so Im sure he is telling the truth.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:24 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

who got clamped in the macs in southall last year?
Old 13-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The Maccy D's DO have signs. Not been to the one at Stansted but I now that the one at Billingsgate Market is the same. Hour limit and no return within 90mins. There are signs all over the car park usually

Brother got one at Billingsgate as well. I did take the pee out of him ! Most expensive Maccy D's he's ever had !
Old 13-02-2009, 03:28 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

LOL at that.

Have you ever been to the Mcdonalds in question? Its a stone's throw from the airport, and there is not a shop in sight for miles as far as I am aware. If you care to look at a Route planner on the internet from my location on the left of your screen, you will see that Stansted is a fair few hours away from me. If I wanted to go back there and contest it with the manager, it would cost me more than the fine in fuel to get there and back
Old 13-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Thats comical mate.I hope you get it sorted.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Hmmm. No shops at an airport. No parking for free near an aiport.

no, I'm missing something.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by Rich170
LOL at that.

Have you ever been to the Mcdonalds in question? Its a stone's throw from the airport, and there is not a shop in sight for miles as far as I am aware. If you care to look at a Route planner on the internet from my location on the left of your screen, you will see that Stansted is a fair few hours away from me. If I wanted to go back there and contest it with the manager, it would cost me more than the fine in fuel to get there and back
http://mcdonalds.co.uk/restaurants/r...-locator.shtml

There are telephone numbers for every McDonalds Restaurant... Give 'em a call!!
Old 13-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

it can take them longer than 60 mins to get the bloody order correct!
Old 13-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by dojj
who got clamped in the macs in southall last year?
NO WAY???? LMAO I want to know now lol
Old 13-02-2009, 04:40 PM
dojj

there was a thread about it

he got clamped as he went to the bank to get some money out before he went to mac's
then he went and got some grub
come out to see this big yellow burger on his wheel and had to shell out something like £200 to get it removed
Old 13-02-2009, 04:41 PM
ludacris s
Regular Contributor

Its not really a fine, its an invoice they give you. I'd bin it, they might send you a few more letters but it will never go to court. Happened to a mate of mine at his girlfriends uni. Used to get a 'fine' every weekend and never paid one of them!!
Old 13-02-2009, 04:43 PM
dojj

dancossie got clamped there

£145 release fee
Old 13-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

private parking tickets are enforced under Contract Law NOT consumer credit/finance laws. All the baliff/default/credit reference threats they make are total shit.
they can only legally get court baliffs on you once a court judgement has been made against you and youve failed to pay.

5T1G, youve clearly been mugged by one of these companys!!!!

Dont confuse private parking charges with council/police ones. often private parking companys will claim in the letters all sorts of shit about the "fine" being enforcable under road traffic act, but thats bollocks. Its not legally a fine, and its not legally a debt until it has been proven in court.

Theres tons of this stuff on the Consumer forums.
Old 13-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

come out to see this big yellow burger on his wheel and had to shell out something like £200 to get it removed
wouldnt it have been cheaper to walk to halfrauds, buy an inverter and a cheap angle grinder and hack the fucker off??
Old 13-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

dancossie got clamped there

£145 release fee
Awww man thats fucked up. They probably knew he ain't one of us Southall Citizens lol

Either way thats fucking harsh!!!
Old 13-02-2009, 05:03 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
private parking tickets are enforced under Contract Law NOT consumer credit/finance laws. All the baliff/default/credit reference threats they make are total shit.
they can only legally get court baliffs on you once a court judgement has been made against you and youve failed to pay.

5T1G, youve clearly been mugged by one of these companys!!!!

Dont confuse private parking charges with council/police ones. often private parking companys will claim in the letters all sorts of shit about the "fine" being enforcable under road traffic act, but thats bollocks. Its not legally a fine, and its not legally a debt until it has been proven in court.

Theres tons of this stuff on the Consumer forums.
been there, done that, just write back to them stating that there were no signs that were clearly visable to make you aware of the time restrictions and that, if you had been made aware of these restrictions, you would have moved along 18 minutes previously

when they write back, ask for proof that you were there and that it was your car

when they write back without any pictures, ask for the pictures

then write another time after another letter asking for time stamped pictures that are admissible in court to show that you were there at the times they are claiming you were

also, from what the council have told me, they need to have an sia license or something to be official

also, make sure that you write the letter to the person who has signed for it at the bottom, don't be fobbed off by "cheif parking enforcement officer" but if you do, diect all the mail to them, someones got to sign for it and that someone will be your next point of call

i've got stacks and stacks of stuff to go on, but i really think you should at least say sorry for taking the piss in the balloon thread

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
wouldnt it have been cheaper to walk to halfrauds, buy an inverter and a cheap angle grinder and hack the fucker off??
you've obviously never been to southall have you

there's a car shop across the road called RPM motor factors, run by this really small singh, he's about 4 foot tall but really nice fella, he might have loaned him what he wanted for a substantial fee

but seeing that the maccy d's car park in question has about 25 spaces in it it's always going to get stuffed full of clampers
Old 13-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Chip

Hmmm. No shops at an airport. No parking for free near an aiport.

no, I'm missing something.

Yes you are missing something, a brain, there is NO free parking anywhere near any of the london airports I ever fly from, its a right nightmare trying to meet people unless you are prepared to pay out for overpriced parking on site.
Old 13-02-2009, 05:12 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Yes you are missing something, a brain, there is NO free parking anywhere near any of the london airports I ever fly from, its a right nightmare trying to meet people unless you are prepared to pay out for overpriced parking on site.

Exactly, and the fact that I had to wait just over an hour meant that I took the 2-3 minute drive over to the McDonalds and waited

Cheers for the info Dojj, I will be writing a letter to them to see what happens, however on the letter they sent me it has 2 pics of my car, one coming in, and one going out

As for retracting my piss taking comments in your thread......

No chance

Last edited by RichieST; 13-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: I overstayed my welcome in McDonalds....