General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

start diet tomorrow, meal substitutes etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009 | 12:10 PM
BANNED

Default start diet tomorrow, meal substitutes etc

well not wanting to go along to weigh in meetings etc this is something im going to have to do on my own, yes i know excersise and better eating is the way.

but initially you still need to loose that weight and most diets seem to offer a meal subsitute/replacement thats packed with all the vitimins etc you need

so ok plan is substitute for breakfast and dinnertime, come home and have a meal with the family at 5 hopefully as healthy as poss lol

so what do i do go buy a fook load of those slim fast shake thingys in a tin etc??

or the cereal bars etc

anyone advice?

ive lost weight before but just cutting out eating untill the 5pm meal which to be honest prob isnt too good as i know the body needs regular food to work properly so i want to do this half right. id love to go on one of the chemists lipo diet thingys or one of the others but at 50 odd quid a week i dont think i can afford it ontop of the normal shopping bills

Last edited by 999; 08-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:29 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think if you can't manage to scale down your regular meals to loose weight you'll put it all back on afterwards. I think you'll be wasting your money in the long run.........
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:32 PM
BANNED

so what i should just carry on as i am am getting bigger and do fuck all? dont be so pesamistic, once you loose a bit of weight it makes you feel good gives you the encourigement to carry on, but the first month or so is the hardest hence my post

any sensible replys?
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:34 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

i dont think slim fast is such a good idea you will lose the weight but i found when i done that i put it all back on once started eating again..

why dont you see if anyone around you has a weight watches/slimming world book that will help you plan the meals and show you what you can and cant eat and if you stay on it the weight will come of and you wont need to go for weigh ins you can do it on your own but the books will help you,

thinking about it i might have a weight watches book if you want me send it to you? my brother go to weight watches and he loses a few pounds each week and he is a big lad and does work for him

Last edited by Mrs T; 08-02-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:36 PM
BANNED

the thing is if i dont do that ill just eat nothing untill 5pm and that will be all, i know that for a fact as i done it before

i thought the shakes and other products were meal replacements and give you enough vitimins etc
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:37 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Sod substituting a meal, especially breakfast.
Eat more regular but healthier meals. Inbetween main meals eat fruit, cereal bars etc, plenty water is good aswell...its a bit of an appetite supressant.
Try and prepare stuff in advance aswell as most bad eating habits come from...laziness to prepare/cook a meal.
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:40 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Make sure you eat breakfast!! Your metabolism is working for the rest of the day and it needs breakfast to kickstart itself!

As for not eating for the rest of the day, i tried slimfast and it did bugger all! i was still hungry!

So all i did was fill two tubs up each morning, one with raw carrots, cucumber, celery, peppers, and the other will sultanas, bits of orange, apple etc etc

and munched little bits throughout the day!!!!

Try that rather thanthe slimfast!

Oh, and try not to eat any later than 6pm!
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:41 PM
BANNED

spose thats an idea maria
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:52 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

It stopped me from being hungry!

If you dont like that kind of stuff, try a tub of plain tuna, with a bit of vinegar, and a little bit of plain pasta??

Plus, the slimfast stuff can work out quite expensive!

The only down side is the raw fruit n veg will make you shit a lot for the first few days!
Old 08-02-2009 | 12:56 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

How about eating correctly and doing 45mins x3 of decent excercise a week?

I'm sorry, all of this fad diets like slim fast, meal substitutes etc is all short term unhealthy bollocks, and I will wager good money once you stop within a year you will put on more than you lost in the first place.

Eat as much fresh fruit and veg as you can, lots of fowl (chicken, turkey, duck etc) , lots of fish (NOT from the chippy ), pork, lamb, beef.

Cut out white bread, pasta, chips, basically anything loaded with junk carbs/starch. Don't eat anything processed, and keep as much sugar out of your diet as possible.

Basically eat real food, not processed crap, and try to have at least 3 or 4 different veg with your tea, if you have grilled salmon (peppered with lemon), a few new potatoes and say spinach, peas and carrots that is a great meal, full of healthy fats and vitamins etc, no crap like E numbers and mega amounts of starch/carbs. Don't drink much alchohol either, each pint of larger has approx 300 Cals in it!

And I would listen to Paul as well, he does this for a living!!

If you cannot sustain it long term, you won't stick it, and substituting meals WILL NOT work long term.

Just eating sensibly and doing 4/5 lots of excercise a week, I lost 4 stone in 6 months.
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:04 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Cut out all foods like crisps, chocalate,and ready meals, even if they are weight watchers or say low fat, they still contain loads more salt and fat compared to the same meal cooked from scratch by yourself,snack on fruit as much as you like in the day,this way you shouldnt crave chocolate or crisps ect
try and get some kind of exersize in between even if it been a fast walk or get on a bike
then try and up the exersize when you feel you can
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:05 PM
l0ubie
keepin' it ol' skool

im on the slimming world diet!

i alternate between different catagories of foods on certain days and can eat as much fruit and veg as i like!

ive been on the diet a month and so far lost about 17lbs!

slimming world is an extremely unhealthy diet, along with the cambridge diet or any diet that makes you drink supliments!

the success of weight loss is no matter what plan your on, is reduced calories!
so even reducing what you eat but still eating 3 times a day will help.

as maria says, make sure you eat breakfast!!

good luck!!
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:09 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Join a friendly gym. The new one I am in now is fantastic and I am missing it already. I go Tuesday to Friday and have a long weekend rest. My arms still ache from the work I was pushed to do.

Benni.
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:24 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Diets dont realy work,you go on a diet you come off it ,and the weight comes back,you need to change your eating and exersise habits for life
The other thing you need to do is swop tea coffee and drink lots of water,you can still have a coffee now and then but some people drink shit loads of the stuff,same with food you can treat yourself to a takeway now and then(i sometimes have one at the end of the month)
hope this helps
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:29 PM
Chris Honeywell

You need to just cut dowm on the crap you may eat
so no crisps, chocolate other snacks eg sweets non diet drinks and what i did (i went down from 14stone to 11 stone in 5 months) is i cut out almost all bread and cheese.

Also for breakfast now all i ever have is porridge with a bit of sugar and for lunch just a muller rice.

You will lose weight if you cut you intake ..

Can you tell us what you normally eat day to day? inc all little snacks
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:42 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED

I've gone from 13.5 to 12 stone in about 5/6 weeks simply by stopping drinking beer and snacking. I looked into all the diets and came to the conclusion I needed to alter my diet habits rather than go on a 'diet'.

I have a slice of toast with jam for breakfast, a Jordans cereal bar for lunch and snack on fruit 'till tea time. And then for tea I make a nice simple curry or similar with much smaller portions than I used to. I still have the odd can of coke but mainly drink water, and as a treat occasionally (once a week) have a couple of cans of beer.
Old 08-02-2009 | 01:51 PM
l0ubie
keepin' it ol' skool

i believe that if you give your self a treat once a week (and only then)
then you are less likely to stray off your healthy eating! and also gives your metabloism a bit of a kick.

i have a curry on a friday night as i dont really drink, and curry's my favourite!
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:24 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

I started on Jan 3rd by going to the gym everyday and eating sensibly...... Weighed myself yesterday and I've lost 30lbs..... I was 20 stone 10lbs.

As I feel the gym getting easier I push myself harder and up the weights on the machines, working for me...

Stev
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:52 PM
BANNED

i drink vodka with diet coke in vast quantitys lol, couple litres a week, mind you the wife has a few so prob 1.5 litres, yes i have realised thats a great contributer

and have decided to stop drinking during the week and only have a few on fri and sat night.
sorry but thats my thing i love my drink so i will have something to look forwards to after a week of no treats etc

ill just get stoned instead

Last edited by 999; 08-02-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:55 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Been on a "diet" since jan the 7th! only lost 8lb though! well im actually well chuffed and im in a serious routine now!
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:00 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED

Originally Posted by 999
i drink vodka with diet coke in vast quantitys lol, couple litres a week, mind you the wife has a few so prob 1.5 litres, yes i have realised thats a great contributer

and have decided to stop drinking during the week and only have a few on fri and sat night.
sorry but thats my thing i love my drink so i will have something to look forwards to after a week of no treats etc

That's fine, as long as it is just a few.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:08 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats some going steveB !!

Im looking to be 2 stone down come the end of april and thats what i want to stay at!

Im not going to the gym though, but its easier when your in the "zone" takeaways?? whats that as i forget.

Im not a fan of the scales tbh, but i go on them every 2 weeks or so, but its the feeling and in clothes that i already notice.

Last edited by rabmc; 08-02-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:11 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

I have tried slim fast in the past, the only thing it slimmed down was the contents of my wallet!

Do as maria says, which will keep you going through the day, then eat the same meals as you would normally, just less quantity, perhaps a kiddies size meal.

Its what I am doing at the mo and I have lost quite a bit already. I am by no means fat, just not as skinny as I want to be!
Old 12-02-2009 | 05:03 PM
BANNED

well i started monday not bothering to weigh myself as i know its loads lol

anyaways cut out all the crap, bowl cereal for breakfast, lunchtimes ive been having 4 pieces rivita with a banana sliced ontop no butter, or two pieces toast no butter with couple slices ham, teatime i have a normal ish dinner seem to be cooking a lot jamie oliver recipies lately so its all fresh veg and herbs etc.

tonight i had two pieces toast no butter, two pieces ham ontop with 4 poached eggs and a small tin spagettit hoops over top, dunno how bad that is for ya but im presuming its ok ish.

i feel in myself better already no more constant bloated feeling from over eating lol

the thing is ive allways got away with it as im natually a big built bloke so hid it well, but lately just too big so times have got to change.

no alcahol during week fri and sat night ill be on the vodka tho, but ive got to have some pleasures and it gives me something to look forward to during the week. fingers cross ill stick to it this time

Last edited by 999; 12-02-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2009 | 05:33 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED

Four poached eggs is a bit much with the toast. Remember, smaller portion sizes.

Otherwise well done and keep it up.

I've dropped below 12 stone so I'm well chuffed.
Old 12-02-2009 | 05:53 PM
Rs1

999, sounds like youve got a good idea of what you need to be doing in terms of diet, with a bit of excercise you'll get down to whatever weight you want it just takes time.
Definatly keep a weekend day to kick back aswell, i eat whatever i want on a sunday....cakes, ice cream, cookies the lot. I love sundays....apart from the 2 hour run and 40 min bike in the morning,lol.
Old 12-02-2009 | 06:42 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

I tell ya what i have found AMAZING.... activia yoghurts!

I have one for breakfast, and one for my pudding, and they have REALLY helped stop me feeling bloated AND they help keep me 'regular' i swear by em i really do!

And to top it off, in Asda they are doing 2 packs of 8 for Ł3! (one pack of 8 is normally Ł2.98!) BARGAIN!
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:27 PM
Rs1

Originally Posted by Maria.
I tell ya what i have found AMAZING.... activia yoghurts!

I have one for breakfast, and one for my pudding, and they have REALLY helped stop me feeling bloated AND they help keep me 'regular' i swear by em i really do!

And to top it off, in Asda they are doing 2 packs of 8 for Ł3! (one pack of 8 is normally Ł2.98!) BARGAIN!
LOL, you sound like the activia advert on TV......just replace 'regular' with 'digestive transit'
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:28 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

but they are sooooooooooooooooo good!
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:44 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Are pot noodles, and cheese on toast bad for you?
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:46 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

I'm another who loves a bit of tucker and have to watch the weight, after xmas I was 21 stone I have a diet given to me by a colleague at work who is a rugby player, other end of the spectrum as I'm a footballer (goalkeeper) but fook me it works I followed the 2 week course and I now weigh 19 stone. I'm back in the gym and feeling really positive

Now I am trying to eat sensibly and cut down on saturated fats, sugar etc, that don't mean you can't have a treat from time to time but its all about the moderation

Pm me you email addy and I'll send you the diet if you would like

Luciano

Last edited by charlie luciano; 12-02-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:48 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by l0ubie
im on the slimming world diet!

i alternate between different catagories of foods on certain days and can eat as much fruit and veg as i like!

ive been on the diet a month and so far lost about 17lbs!

slimming world is an extremely unhealthy diet, along with the cambridge diet or any diet that makes you drink supliments!

the success of weight loss is no matter what plan your on, is reduced calories!
so even reducing what you eat but still eating 3 times a day will help.

as maria says, make sure you eat breakfast!!

good luck!!
did you get confused there? Sw is one of the healthiest weight loss plans around If not THE healthiest, and least restrictive

Sarah
Old 12-02-2009 | 07:56 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Lookin for some tips on what I can eat for dinner at work instead of butties. Idealy easy and quick to prepare. If I have to make butties how many slices of bread should I limit my self to. Sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 12-02-2009 | 08:04 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by pcressie
Lookin for some tips on what I can eat for dinner at work instead of butties. Idealy easy and quick to prepare. If I have to make butties how many slices of bread should I limit my self to. Sorry for hijacking the thread
home made soups, rice dishes, pasta dishes? I wouldnt be having more than 2 a day personally, and make it wholemeal so at least your getting some fibre.

2 slices of bread doesnt fill me up, yet a massive bowl of soup would, and half the calories
Old 12-02-2009 | 08:25 PM
S1

About two years ago I went on a major get fit/loose weight campaign. Im only 5'61/2" but I was 15st 11lbs. I quit drinking during the week and stopped eating all the crap, like crisps, chocolate, burgers, biscuits etc. I started to look at the fat content of everything I bought, if it was over 6% then I didnt buy it. I also took up Mountain biking. It took about 6-9 months but I eventually made it to 11st 3lbs. Everyone that knew me said I looked awful so I put a little back onto get me up to 12st. Not long after I got with me missus and got settled, we were drinking 3 bottles of red wine a night between us so inevitably I put some weight back on. I eventually peaked at 14st 4. We both decided we needed to lose weight so we got a wii fit for xmas. We now eat sensible meals through the week, I have Special K sustain for brekkie. For lunch i usually get a salad from M&S, plus two packs of their light crisps, only 3% fat! Their healthy stuff is good cos its got a traffic light system that tells you fat, calories salt and sugar levels so you can see at a glance if its crap or not.

We started in earnest on 15th Jan and since then I've lost about 3/4 of a stone, we still eat out at restaurants most weekends and get pissed friday saturday and sunday. I always said I would only diet during the week, we both love our food but have no problem eating healthy during the week as we know we are gonna enjoy the weekend!
Old 12-02-2009 | 08:30 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i have to say i definitely dont miss out on anything doing SW, and neither do any of my members, having a life whilst losing weight is a must, and eating decent food that you wont get bored of or feel deprived whilst eating is a neccessity.

I know i will food optimise for the rest of my life, and im 100% fine with that, i eat well and im losing weight at the same time

Sarah
Old 12-02-2009 | 10:44 PM
BANNED

well ive got to be honest i do like to munch, but i find myself now if im hungry grabbing a couple pieces of rivita instead of a biscuit... the green pack turn them so the seeds etc touch the tounge they taste fantastic.

it certainly fills a munchy desire anyway, is that a bad thing? ive just eaten a couple bits.
Old 13-02-2009 | 09:33 AM
adam.d
PassionFord Regular

If anyone wanted to cheat you can always go to the doctors and get some xenical tablets, don't think they can really be that good for you long term but foook me they work! The wife has lost over 8 stone so far with them!!!
Old 13-02-2009 | 09:40 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

I started my new years diet on 1st Jan, to date I have lost 15lbs just through not eating between meals, healthier meals and more exercise (run at lunch twice a week and football once a week) I use the Wii Fit to do some bits and record weight loss.

When I bought Wii fit in April 08 I was 18st 3, I am now 15st 12

As mentioned above, dont cut out meals as you will put it all back on once you start eating "normally" again

It's now getting harder to shift the weight (im 6ft 3) but I will keep going

Last edited by dvid; 13-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.