General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

X-Box 360 - to buy or buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Box 360 - to buy or buy or not to buy?

Right, been round the shops and these seem sooooo cheap, so much cheaper than the ps3, are you just paying for the blue ray player with them?

Couple of qs; are they worth it, what's the difference betwen arcade, elite and the other one and does it cost to get online or is that only for certain things? Are they wireless enabled out the box?

Cheers peeps

Dave
Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 PM
JLStretton
Choose Life.

Yes there worth it, I have one currently, had a ps3 before and the graphics are a little better but the games are better on the 360 ino my opinion, ie no racer on the ps3 compaires to forza,

no not wireless out the box, but you dont want to be playing any games console wireless if you can help it, a long ethernet would be better

to get online you want a premium one, or a elite[one with a hardrive]

Last edited by JLStretton; 07-02-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Ethernet would be ideal, but router and phone lines are no where near lounge! Wii is reliable enough wirelessly but maybe xbox is a little more unreliable?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

depends what you want from them. I use my PS3 to store music & movies on but agree about the lack of racing games....need for speed or Grid is all there is at the mo and neither is anywhere as good as Forza IMO
Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

I am tempted by call of duty etc... That sort if thing? And the Lego games look like fun to play with the wife
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

PS3 FTW!

has 10x's the features a shitbox has!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Up!

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Orion_Gav
Regular Contributor

I own both and to be honest there both good machines but if i wanted a machine JUST for games only then id buy the xbox 360 because there is much more choice compared to the PS3..
Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidewayz
PS3 FTW!

has 10x's the features a shitbox has!

Which most people don't want or already have, shame it doesn't do the games and online as good but hey. Xbox live is just that good, dvid, buy one.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by skeg
Which most people don't want or already have, shame it doesn't do the games and online as good but hey. Xbox live is just that good, dvid, buy one.
I've never had a problem getting online...the only ones that seem to bring it up are Xbox owners
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 PM
buzznwood
Part of the Furniture

If you want a good blu ray player and fancy playing the odd game then get a ps3, if you want a games console then pick up a xbox360.

All the stuff people spout about the power of the ps3 and its better graphics etc over the xbox360 are people repeating Sony's marketing BS.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BazW
I've never had a problem getting online...the only ones that seem to bring it up are Xbox owners

Where did I mention problems getting on-line with PS3? I just said the Xbox 360 is the better games console and better on-line which it is. A PS3 gamer can't say anything without mentioning the Blu-ray etc whilst Xbox owners just talk about the gaming experience and that alone.

Obviously we all talk up what we have but when you have computers, blu-ray player, home cinema, TV (most people) and an Xbox what is the point of having a net browsing, bluray playing games console all in one device when it doesn't do it as good as that stuff? That would be like saying my Ipaq pda phone is better for sat-nav than a tomtom.

Playstations were great in the day (ps and ps2) I loved mine but I spent ages choosing a next gen console and now Billy gates/Microsoft have got it wrapped up. Even the only negative, potential repairs is pain free.

If you want a jack of trades all in one device and short of cash for dedicated gear get the PS3 but if you want to buy a games console for a games console (games+ online play) then 360 hands down, bias or not.

Last edited by skeg; 07-02-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The xbox 360 is a bargain at £129 or £169 and there is loads of games available at good pre owned prices. I have both consoles and the xbox is far better for gaming than the ps3. This is due to having better online and a wider selection of games. The only games I buy for PS3 are exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid as all the top games on PS3 are available on Xbox as well. You can stream movies, music, pictures on the xbox as well as the PS3, the only difference is Blu Ray. As for the xbox being unreliable when used wireless, never had a problem to be honest and it works just as well as PS3 using wireless though both consoles work better on ethernet.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

XBOX360 Arcade - 512MB memory Card, wireless controller, 5 games (Uno and other small games), HDMI
XBOX360 Premium - 60GB Memory Drive, headphones, wireless controller, ethernet cable, HDMI
XBOX360 Elite - 120GB Memory Drive, black console, black headphones, black wireless controller, ethernet cable, HDMI (Cable supplied)

The difference is the hard drive size and the HDMI cable with the Elite is £30 to buy seperate and is only good if you have a seperate Hi Fi system for the sound. You can use a standard £10 HDMI cable if your running sound through your TV.

XBOX360 is the better all games console. If you solely want game playing and online playing get the 360. The 360 needs a Wireless Network Adaptor to go online wireless and this costs £59.99. Hardly anyone uses the 360 for DVD playback that I know of as its not worth it.

The PS3 is mainly for Blu-Ray playback, which also has internet access and is a games machine. The games are good and hardly different to the 360 (I have played the same game on each console and not noticed a difference). The PS3 is wireless out the box and has bluetooth accessories, such as headset and Blu-Ray remote available.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can now watch and record digital tv on the ps3, and watch it anywhere in the world via a psp...

great for holiday abroad!

the ps3 has soo many very cool features and its getting more all the time! and blue ray in 1080p is stunning.

Last edited by JTECH James; 07-02-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
you can now watch and record digital tv on the ps3, and watch it anywhere in the world via a psp...

the ps3 has soo many very cool features and its getting more all the time! and blue ray in 1080p is stunning.
you watch tv while youre on holiday ??? lol

xbox 360 all the way IMO

matt
Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

people don't want the extra features? pmsl

that's like going to buy a brand ford for example,

''Il take the LX, please'' & the dealer offering you the Ghia for the same price pmsl!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

yes, for football etc, or the mrs wants to watch eastenders....its very handy

i had a 360, and in comparison the ps3 is THE complete system, gaming is almost identical, apart from blue ray footage...

i cant remember the last time i used my pc for surfing the net, i use the ps3 all the time lol

i can go to work or anywhere in the world, turn on my ps3 , view pictures, videos, tv, radio, talk to psn mates,all via my psp then turn it off again... . it rocks!

Last edited by JTECH James; 07-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A PS3 gamer can't say anything without mentioning the Blu-ray etc whilst Xbox owners just talk about the gaming experience and that alone.

See what I mean, lol^.

Originally Posted by Sidewayz
people don't want the extra features? pmsl

that's like going to buy a brand ford for example,

''Il take the LX, please'' & the dealer offering you the Ghia for the same price pmsl!
Mate, you're twisting what I said and you know you little windup. I said most people won't use a games console to watch films, browse the net or stream media when they have the proper devices, IE a PC.

Layman's terms, PS3 gets owned by a PC for net etc, home cinema for films and 360 for games/online gaming and you know it. You actually think I use the none gaming features the XBox has as described by Tony above?

Its a games console, after all this time you still don't get that. No doubt a percentage of people wanted a cheap Blu-ray but I wanted a games console so I went out and got the best one.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
RobL
Advanced PassionFord User

See what I mean, lol^.

Mate, you're twisting what I said and you know you little windup. I said most people won't use a games console to watch films, browse the net or stream media when they have the proper devices, IE a PC.

Layman's terms, PS3 gets owned by a PC for net etc, home cinema for films and 360 for games/online gaming and you know it. You actually think I use the none gaming features the XBox has as described by Tony above?

Its a games console, after all this time you still don't get that. No doubt a percentage of people wanted a cheap Blu-ray but I wanted a games console so I went out and got the best one.

ps3 also gets owned by pc for gaming tbh,a decent gaming pc that is
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

gaming is a identical between the 2, apart from blue ray footage.

i use all the features on the ps3 because i can and they work fantasticly

10years ago the 360, would have been fantastic, but it doesnt cut it these days, its time is over, the ps3 is getting stronger and stronger.

thats why the 360, is so cheap...its old news...old software, outdated.

even today weve only seen a small amount of what the ps3 can do, its evolving fast!

the only reason xboxers dont mention blue ray is because they dont have it, lol..and to get it they have to spend more than there 360, cost

Last edited by JTECH James; 07-02-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

gaming is a identical between the 2, apart from blue ray footage.

You do actually play games on it then?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

lol

il let James finish you off!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

You do actually play games on it then?
everyday thanks!

and its never broken once
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

the only benefits over the PS3 is the number of games but TBH there is only 2 360 games that i'd be bothered about playing...Forza 2 and gears of war 2. Gameplay there is nothing between them for now but PS3 developers still haven't pushed it as far as it can go yet...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

exactly,

microsoft know its had its day, the only way they can make it attractive now is to make it cheap
Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for all the replies guys! Think I'll be getting an xbox soon!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 AM
notroubleclubber
Back In The RS Game!

Ive got both - xbox is better for games but ps3 is better all rounder. Xbox will do media streaming etc but no blu ray. PS3 has blu ray but not so good games.PS3 has the advantage of using the psp with it but to be honest, id rather watch tv on my TV not a little screen. Plus xbox can be modded (!). If i had to get rid of one, then it would have to be ps3 at the mo as dont have many blu rays and xbox will play HD by streaming.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Once again why dp PS3 owners come on a xbox question? Its like penis envy Just cos you bought the wrong GAMING console :blah:

I know two people who has both and the 360 is used a LOT more than PS3.

As said mate if you want it for gaming and especiallyh online the xbox really does walk all over the PS3. But it you want blueray and all the other bits and only game everynow and then go PS3.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 AM
neal666
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

far better than the ps3 GET ONE NOW!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Aaroncast
BANNED
BANNED

Why are 360's cheap?????? Ask yourself!!
Then see why on e bay--------------
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

because microsoft know its over...

credit to them, they really are getting as much money out of it as possible, its just a shame the people buying them cant see why they are cheap
Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
FingerZ!
PassionFord Regular

We bought our XBOX 360 jsut before christmas as a few mates had them which we had played around on and liked.

In the end we used our nectar points to buy an arcade version from argos. Not hte cheapest way about it but we had over half the value in nectar points so was cheaper that way.

we bought the Arcade version, bought an unopened 'live' pack with a 60gig HD in it off a mate and a 3 month subscription to live and headset was included for £20!!!!

then i borrowed a wireless adapter until i had chance to hard wire some cat 5 back to our router.

bought another controller and eventually some cplay and charge packs, bought bomberman with some credits online and then bough grid - OMG i havent stopped playing that game its ace!

ithink just the fact that you can go online and chat to mates, then just crack into a game, the wireless controllers, the headsets that always work first time unlike on PC, the HD graphics, the fact you can just download most demos to try before you buy makes the XBOX an excellent machine to play with.

oh and for HD i used the HDMI cable out of my DVD player which is now redundant anyway cos we use the XBOX! graphics are amazing!!

Plus you can get sooo much stuff online cheaper than the shops and stuff on Ebay is good too!

Im sure PS3's are excellent but it was XBOX for me im afraid!

hope this helps your decision!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
dreamin
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes they are worth buyin , imo everythin is about gettin it all in one package now days rather than havin 1 box to play films , one box to play games etc etc , so if u are into the minimalist look n not too fussed bout the gaming side of things then the ps3 is the way to go , i think that if the ps3 has SOO much more potential then sony are draggin there heels a bit n losin custom because people buy console to play games & have a laugh not because they want to keep up with the jones's n have all the latest toys !!!!!!

Its like the sky HD argument , ok the qaulity is fantastic but alot of people wont get it yet because there just arent enough channels ! so that kind of negates the whole its cheap because its dated comment , sky HD is now only £49 ,does that mean that too is old n had its day ??
Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

what competitor does sky hd have?

none.

microsoft know damm well if they market the 360, at a similar price to the ps3 they wont sell
Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

360 owns. Best console there is.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

betamax or vhs?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
dreamin
PassionFord Post Whore!!

VIRGIN , BT , ?????

no microsoft are not stupid and know that people wouldnt pay the price the ps3 is goin for simply because it does lack features that the ps3 has ,blueray bein the main 1 , so imo the prices reflect wot they come with , not wot they are best 4 .

im simply stating ,as are a few others (even they who have both) that the ps3 atm lacks wot is needed to have the gaming side of things the 360 has ,
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

cheers, off to game later to get one, premium with 2 games and an extra controller £199
Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 AM
dreamin
PassionFord Post Whore!!

get urself a wireless adapter too m8 , ive only ever been wireless n NEVER had any probs

wot games u gettin , GRID is a must even if its just for the destrution derby online , such a laugh

Quick Reply: X-Box 360 - to buy or buy or not to buy?