General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: HPi database?
Good idea
57.14%
Bad idea
14.29%
Do a trial period
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on an HPI style data base please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009 | 06:26 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Default Opinions on an HPI style data base please?

Hi all some may be aware of my recent thread expressing my annoyance over lots of waisted HPI reports as the cars have come back as unclear.

Now im not saying hpi unclear cars are bad, but if your looking for one that is clear, like me then you can end up spending a small fortune on checks.

The information is legally available from the police and dvla and body of insurers, its just we pay hpi to make there checks for us and of course we are paying for the reputation of the certificate which is recgonised nationally as solid evidence if you come to sell a car.

Ive been thinking why dont we set up some sort of database on here and make it a sticky.

Now im fully award of the consequences of this as it could be easily open to sabatage and false claims if for example some had a grudge on a seller.

So how about the cars Reg is entered (these can be in model sussections and in alphanumeriacl order for ease of viewing)

And next to the reg is a link to the person (say user name) who subbmited the original report, who can then foward the hpi email on to the next viewer, via a PM.

This makes it a quick and tidy list for easy and logical viewing and also protects the original HPi'ers personal identity as the "evidence" check can be done with a fowarded email via a PM.

Im not saying the new buyer should take the list as gospel, but it will massivly help to give a generalised knowledge of the car. The buyer can then choose wether they want to be extra sure and do his/her own hpi with out doing it totally blind and spending £100's

I know people will kick up a fuss, but surley these will be the ones who have something to hide. As i stated the information is legally available and we have a right to know. so why not share the information and save our selves a small fortune!

It could work, what do you think?

If there is a good responce then i will contact admin and put the idea to them

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 01-02-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2009 | 08:37 AM
Paddy
Legend

I think it's a great idea but by displaying information you get from Experian/HPi you will leave PF and whoever owns them, wide open. The information from these places comes under the data protections act [whether people agree with it or not].

Here's the Terms and Conditions from Experian [I imagine HPi are indentical as they get most of their information from Experian/Equifax anyway]:

4 Use Of Information
All information delivered to you (whether on a computer screen, in e-mail, or paper format) as part of any AutoCheck search ("the Information") shall at all times belong to us or our licensors.
For your own personal non-commercial use, you may display the Information on a computer screen, print individual pages onto paper (but not photocopy them) and store such Information in an electronic format (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network). For the avoidance of doubt, you shall not: (a) reproduce, modify, or distribute the Information, (b) create a database from the Information, (c) otherwise commercially exploit any of the Information, and/or (d) sell, transfer, deal in or otherwise make available either the ability to conduct a search or any Information to any third party.

Last edited by Paddy; 01-02-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2009 | 08:41 AM
BANNED

as above just not possible, hpi checks are cheap these days anyway you dont have to spend 20 quid with hpi themselves. rac used to be a fiver but i think they have just upped it to a tenner, plus the fact even if i was told it was hpi clear etc no matter what id still pay to get it hpi'd
Old 01-02-2009 | 08:45 AM
Paddy
Legend

As above^ plus who's to say the information provided by people is accurate and not the seller telling lies?

Who's to say it's not been written off/stolen/got finance on AFTER the check was done by the people saying it's clear?

And who's going to indemnify the buyer if it turns out the information given in your database is wrong? Passion Ford?

It's a great idea but it's no substitute for paying for your own check and covering your own back.
Old 04-02-2009 | 11:40 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

you have no comeback if something goes wrog, which is the major stumbling block

i'm all for everyone having a list of cars, but if they are only available to people who buy/sell through pf then it limits the market

in anycase, if you were going to buy a cossie or whatnot, you'd know about it basicly as soon as you said "i'm thinking of buying this car, anything wrong with it?" in a post here
Old 04-02-2009 | 02:54 PM
dreamer
PassionFord Regular

Anything like that would have to be by PM or even off the board altogether.

Too many ways for it to go to ratshit and IB could face legal trouble. Maybe if you kept the details for yourself and you could choose when to get involved if somebody you knew on here asked would be helpful
Old 04-02-2009 | 03:05 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

I know your intentions are honourable, but what about repair work done outside insurance companies and also car rebuilds done by alot of people on here, sure there are good and bad ones of those.
It's a great idea in principle, but it too open to abuse in my opinion and as said who do you hold accountable at the end of the day.