General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Possibly caught by a GATSO...

Search this Thread

Old 31-01-2009, 08:17 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly caught by a GATSO...

Evening guys,

I'm turning this over and over in my head but just making myself confused and worried for nothing really so want some advice if possible.

Basically today was going up a dual carriageway 40mph limit and I know that I am approaching a speed camera (old type GATSO). There was a police car with blue lights coming into the dual carriageway so I braked and let him go. Cos I knew there was a speed camera I was interested to see whether it would flash the cop car as it wasn't absolutely rocketing up but had blue lights on with no siren. Consequently I wasn't concentrating on my speed. I was doing an indicated 44-45mph on my speedo. I caught the camera out the corner of my eye and slammed the anchors on almost instantly and dropped the speed to 35mph. I looked in my rear view thought phew no flash and then carried on. I kept looking though and saw a Rover passing the camera and I *think* I was clear of the lines. This is where I am shitting bricks for not being completely sure if I was caught or not because from what I remember I was pretty clear of the lines if not totally at the end. The Rover passed the camera and then it did a double flash but I couldn't tell if the Rover was speeding. So am I sitting on hot coals for the next 3-4 weeks to see what happens or have I just been fucked over? What do you guys think? What's the period of time the letter must arrive by for it to be valid or when does it need to be printed or whatever?

Thanks!
Old 31-01-2009, 08:23 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you ent past foing 35 in a 40

don't worry
Old 31-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Captain500rs
Advanced PassionFord User

if it flashes twice ya caught a seen this the other day early in the moring some pratt come flying past me and i thought ya gonna slow down now cos there is a camera up ahead, did he hell lol and it flashed twice, think if ya do get caught they have to notify you within 2 weeks also

Last edited by Captain500rs; 31-01-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 31-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by Rob...
Cop car went flying through one @ the old lady margaret pub the other week and it never went off, but cop car was on other side of the road so is that why ?
Not all gatso's have lenses in then, hence it not flashing. They can get you on the other side of the road if the lense is in it, but not if you are heading towards it.

Tim
Old 31-01-2009, 08:33 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Think it's going to be one of these wait and hope ones tbh as nobody can really give any advice unless they were there or hope the GATSO isn't loaded. Will sit and wait unfortunately as that's all I can do
Old 31-01-2009, 08:35 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right think about this for one second,the faster you go the more distance you will cover,so if you were at the far end of the lines doing like 35-40mph then the camera would not be flashing for you as the first flash is for the start position and the second is the finish position, the distance covered between first flash and second flash will be then calculated in to a speed,if it got you, then you would be doing near on 140 mph at the far end of the lines, so i think you will be in the clear.
Old 31-01-2009, 08:42 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Obviously your gonna have a bit of a nervous wait to see if it was you but going on what you said I'll think you'll be unlucky to get caught out. The NIP has to be issued within 14 days so it could take a few days longer to arrive. (16-18)
Old 31-01-2009, 08:47 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by st3v3
Right think about this for one second,the faster you go the more distance you will cover,so if you were at the far end of the lines doing like 35-40mph then the camera would not be flashing for you as the first flash is for the start position and the second is the finish position, the distance covered between first flash and second flash will be then calculated in to a speed,if it got you, then you would be doing near on 140 mph at the far end of the lines, so i think you will be in the clear.
That gives me some comfort as when I realised I was into the lines I literally almost threw myself out the screen and dropped speed almost instantly and carried on through the lines easing up to 40mph. I must have hit about 40mph just as I was leaving the lines. So hopefully I'm clear but will still be uneasy till a considerable length of time passes.

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated!
Old 31-01-2009, 08:47 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Chill, Its a speed camera, not a death sentance !!
Old 31-01-2009, 08:52 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
Chill, Its a speed camera, not a death sentance !!
I know I realise I might be making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here but I'm 19 turning 20, already claimed previously and seriously trying as hard as possible to keep clean. I am the policy holder as well and already paying enough as it is so would like to build up a clean enough licence and no claims in order to get something decent in 2-3 years time. This won't help.
Old 31-01-2009, 09:45 PM
rst1990
Virgin

by the sounds of what you`ve said there is no way you will get a ticket. the speed camera has to identify a smooth speed through it`s path to indicate if you was speeding but as you said you slammed on the brakes there is no way it can register a rough speed.
reasen how i know this coz one of me mates repairs them!!!! what a w*&^$r! hope this puts your mind at ease.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop worrying most speedos overead anyway!!, not all piccies taken result in a NIP, which as said has to be issued in 14 days.
Most are st to go off at the limit plus a certain amount anyway, it needs to capture you on TWO piccies as time/distance = speed, the lines are used as they are a known distance apart , the camera can capture you going towards or away on either side of the road, even if the lines are only on one side.
No police car on any emergency has to avoid the cameras as they are allowed in law to speed if the circumstances warrant it, so they just check the log of grade 1 calls etc.
tabetha
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Stop worrying most speedos overead anyway!!, not all piccies taken result in a NIP, which as said has to be issued in 14 days.
Most are st to go off at the limit plus a certain amount anyway, it needs to capture you on TWO piccies as time/distance = speed, the lines are used as they are a known distance apart , the camera can capture you going towards or away on either side of the road, even if the lines are only on one side.
No police car on any emergency has to avoid the cameras as they are allowed in law to speed if the circumstances warrant it, so they just check the log of grade 1 calls etc.
tabetha
+1

i had the exact same thing happen to me on the M42 with all them new variable speed cameras and we was doing 60 and the speed went down to 50 i slowed down myself but was chatting to a mate and just in the moment and noticed the camera flash behind me and i also had a car coming up from behind me but he must of been going faster because he had nearly caught up with me by the time it flashed, i looked at my speed and was doing about 57 on the clock but my satnav was saying 55 so was worried like yourself esp cos i can't afford any points, but it's been a good 3 week's now and haven't heard anything so hopefully your lucky mate, the bloke behind prob's only needed to be a couple of mph faster to set it off so you might not of noticed the difference

i'll have my fingers crossed for you
Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by pani_k
I know I realise I might be making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here but I'm 19 turning 20, already claimed previously and seriously trying as hard as possible to keep clean. I am the policy holder as well and already paying enough as it is so would like to build up a clean enough licence and no claims in order to get something decent in 2-3 years time. This won't help.
I didnt think foci went that fast

On a serious note tho, like you say your self there is nothing you can do about it. I wouldnt worry yourself too much, if it got you, it got you, youl find out in 2-3weeks.

I personally have never had a speeding ticket, but as far as im aware most insurers dont even blink at 3 points for speeding. Especially if its something like 44 in a 40.

Also, tho im not entirley sure what truth is in this, but ive been told that in a 40 for example you will 9/10 times be ok if your flashed at say 43, as im sure they allow a small grace of up to 5mph some times, due to the fact that not all cars are going to be calibrated exactly.

Clutching at straws here bit i also notice you have aftermarket alloys, it may be worth working out the OD of these compared to the factory items, even an increase of 1/2" will slightly affect your speedo. So you car may read say 42mph, but due to the bigger wheel your really onle doing 40.

Anyway, lets hope your ok. I wouldnt loose sleep over it tho matey.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If he's got bigger wheels diametre wise, he will be going faster than indicated, the old "rule"(although was never a rule!) was 3mph plus 10%, so that's 47mph in a 40.
tabetha
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

If he's got bigger wheels diametre wise, he will be going faster than indicated, the old "rule"(although was never a rule!) was 3mph plus 10%, so that's 47mph in a 40.
tabetha
doh yeh thinking about it the bigger OD will be rotating slower than a smaller OD both traveling at the same speed
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tabetha
Thats the yardstick that a lot of Police use (all the Police I deal with say in most cases they give 10% + 2mph) but there is no such rule with speed cameras as your speedo (unless faulty or otherwise not working propperly) should always read faster than you are actually going.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob...
Cop car went flying through one @ the old lady margaret pub the other week and it never went off, but cop car was on other side of the road so is that why ?

think thread starter's going to be sitting on hot coals as he's said for 3/4 weeeks
they both work mate, i've had "dealings" with peole who have been clocked on both

on another note, the one on the bypass as you go towards pump lane from southall flashes you both ways, but my brothers mate got done for doing 70 along there years and years ago