General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Snap on/blue point cordless soldering irons...

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Snap on/blue point cordless soldering irons...

Does anyone know if their covered under their replacement warrenty or not?! Had one for years now which has decided to pretty much die on me, but dont work in a garage so dont have access to any dealers to ask.

If its no then can anyone reccomend another good make to buy that doesnt cost as much?! Need a new one and if i have to buy it dont wanna spend that sort of money again on something i just use at home etc!!

Cheers

Last edited by Toe Knee; 15-01-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 16-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

We've gone through a few of those, they are good performers, but not that reliable IMO. As far as I am aware, the Blue Point stuff is not warranted the same as the proper Snap-On stuff.

In any case, I'm sure you could find an identical soldering iron without the Blue Point branding. They are bought in and badged up, like most of the Blue Point stuff.
Old 16-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

There are lots of cheapies around, but this one looks pretty neat. Infact I might buy one!!

http://www.buckandryan.co.uk/product...sn/DREVERSATIP

Old 16-01-2009, 10:28 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got various gas and electric ones, the newest one I got is a COLD soldering iron, stone cold till you press the button, then cool as ambient temp within 2/3 seconds after, was only just over £20 at local MAKRO.
tabetha
Old 16-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Does anyone know if their covered under their replacement warrenty or not?! Had one for years now which has decided to pretty much die on me, but dont work in a garage so dont have access to any dealers to ask.
I thought Peter did the guys there? I know he doesn't go into MTC, (area manager only) but 99% he did Albert Drive (includ Genesis) cos he does the Citroen place opposite Unit22. If you time it right, you can probably just nip across if you see him. (Tell him I said Hi. )

Moot point as all power tools (including soldering irons) only have a 1 year warranty. You can order online if you want. www.snapon.com/uk
Old 16-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Snap on warrenty is poo and i dont think it will be covered.Ive got one of these and they are shit hot.
Old 16-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rich_w
I thought Peter did the guys there? I know he doesn't go into MTC, (area manager only) but 99% he did Albert Drive (includ Genesis) cos he does the Citroen place opposite Unit22. If you time it right, you can probably just nip across if you see him. (Tell him I said Hi. )

Moot point as all power tools (including soldering irons) only have a 1 year warranty. You can order online if you want. www.snapon.com/uk
Cheers for the help peeps will have a look at the one u said christian, Rich im actually at unit 7 and have been for the last 2yrs lol, but if they only have 1yrs warrenty no point going to see him. Dunno if you heard but units 7&8 where we are closing down in aug due to the SLR stopping and Z going into production, were all pissed off about it as we love workin there but it costs them about 250k a year to rent and were only makin 1 Z199 a week so they cant warrent keeping it anymore!! not sure what their gonna do with 22 either once the XP and PP P11s have been done that may well go too, althou its been empty up till the end of last year and 22 must cost a bloody fortune to rent
Old 16-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
I've got various gas and electric ones, the newest one I got is a COLD soldering iron, stone cold till you press the button, then cool as ambient temp within 2/3 seconds after, was only just over £20 at local MAKRO.
tabetha
Have u got a brand name for it?! and is it cordless?! not got a makro near me unfortunatly!
Old 16-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a replacement Snap On soldering iron through my Snap On dealer a few weeks back - mine packed up and just sat yellow flaming

Never had a problem with Snap On warranty/exchange on stuff - probably due to the amount i've spent over the years
Old 16-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yea its prob easy to get another one if u spend loads but alas i dont spend bugger all with them, maybe i should post it up and just say urs broke again

Actually all that went on it was the ignition thingy, but the other week the brass cylinder bit that goes in the middle of it to make the flame work properly fell out so i wedged something in there and it kinda works but iffy so would prob be ok if i could replace that bit!!
Old 17-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Will how much are the snap on kits nowadays?! I know i paid about 90 for mine but it had loads of tips. Ive found 2 companys on ebay that make some identical, ones called Facom and one Portasol this ones £60 and comes with a few tips but wanted to see what snap on charges for them these days first!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORTASOL-GAS-R...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 17-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That portasol don't look too bad, have a look in maplins though to see what they got