General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Couple can not adopt due to weight

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
he would roll alright

AFPMSL
Old 14-01-2009, 01:09 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maria.

So seeing someone like this who has a genuine desire to want to improve a childs life, and they cant simply because theyre a little overweight..... quite honestly just disgusts me.
If you're described as morbidly obese, that's hardly a little overweight, but dangerously so.
Yeah, bit overweight, bit life threatening but heh

Edit/ See you're Maria again, that's better
Old 14-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

I havent read the replies on this thread but i have no sympathy for the fat cunt. He shouldnt have let himself get like that in the first place.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Stuff like this really annoys me..., i had carer after carer after carer, who did it either for the money, or because they felt they 'had' to. I can genuinely say i didnt have ONE single carer who who fostered because they wanted to better my life or help me in anyway. One even drove me to a suicide attempt, when i was only 15, because i was made to feel so worthless.

I didn't notice you'd posted this last night.

All I can say is that's awful, what a shit start in life.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Kamike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Awful way to grow up
Old 14-01-2009, 01:47 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I havent ready any of the replies but

If two couples are ready to adopt one child, one couple is healthly and of average weight and meet the criteria and the other couple are clinically obese ( bearing in mind all the associated health problems and shorter life expectancy ) yet still meet the adoption criteria who would you give the kid to?

Bearing in mind he may well go into a loving family and be well looked after with both couples, yet with one of the couples he may have to watch his carers health deteriorate and the quality of his care go down, or even worse watch them die

To minimise the risk i'd say the healthy couple everytime.
Old 14-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Kamike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

But there is a shortage of people wanting to adopt and foster, seems like the authoritys would rather leave the child in care than adopt them to a fat family. Bit unfair on the children IMH
Old 14-01-2009, 02:08 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamike
But there is a shortage of people wanting to adopt and foster, seems like the authoritys would rather leave the child in care than adopt them to a fat family. Bit unfair on the children IMH
If they are the only couple who could take the child and they meet the criteria then then his health problem should be examined accordingly, if his health problem wont adversely affect the welfare of the potential fosterchild then sure, let the kid into a stable happy home
Old 14-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well the fact that being told they would prefer him to lose some weight has now made him decide he doesnt want to adopt anymore it appears, seems to show how little his heart was in it anyway IMHO, so whatever the reason for the decision not to let him adopt, it looks like its still the right outcome if he doesnt IMHO
Old 14-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Ridgey
A parent is a roll model.
@ the irony of spelling it that way in this case
Old 14-01-2009, 02:24 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Well the fact that being told they would prefer him to lose some weight has now made him decide he doesnt want to adopt anymore it appears, seems to show how little his heart was in it anyway IMHO, so whatever the reason for the decision not to let him adopt, it looks like its still the right outcome if he doesnt IMHO
Almost word for word what I was going to post.

Maria - I'm really sorry to hear you had such a hard time , but I think the intentions in this case are right - I see it as nothing more than a kick up the ass for this guy to improve his own life.
Old 14-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
Almost word for word what I was going to post.

Maria - I'm really sorry to hear you had such a hard time , but I think the intentions in this case are right - I see it as nothing more than a kick us the ass for this guy to improve his own life.
Based on the figure for his BMI versus the max of 40 allowed, it wouldnt even take a month of healthy eating and moderate exercise for him to fall within the rules.
Thats FAR less effort than a woman goes through in pregnancy, so if he isnt even prepared to do that, he doesnt deserve a kid IMHO as he clearly isnt ever going to inconvenience himself in the way that a good father needs to anyway!
Old 14-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Maria i can see your point but if he were to suffer a massive heart attack and die not long after the child becomes attached to them as a family, how much damage might that do to the child???

The health screening for potential foster parents and people wishing to adopt is quite right in my opinion. Its just a shame the press have gone skitz on the fact hes overwieght where as in reality its more likely to be high blood pressure, risk of diabetes, risk of heart attack etc thats the problem.

As im sure you understand all to well, an adopted/fostered child needs the love and care AND the continuity and routine of that. Many children from broken homes have problems related to attachment and clinging when forming relationships, not to mention heavy associations of guilt.

Imagine how a child would feel having been unwanted and unloved finally getting the love they need. Some children would push it away thinking its false or they dont deserve it or because people mean pain/aggro to them, some children would get very very attached both in a healthy and abnormal way leading to love as time grows, some will get clingy not wanting to leave in case the good stuff is taken away. But ultimately the true love will shine through and a child will understand that despite thier behaviour. (of course i accept there will be some children so severly traumatised because of thier past that they are totally unable to relate to others without appropriate psychological treatment and therapy).

Now imagine the parent dies. Even for a child from a healthy family background it would be hard, but for a fostered/adopted child i imagine it would be yet another devastating stab in the back, yet another blow to thier already shattered self esteem and confidence and statistically far more likely to cause quite serious additional psychological problems

Social services has a duty to try (and often get wrong!) and minimise the harm to children and that includes continuity of care for a child.

You know how you felt being pushed pillar to post from quite frankly shit foster parents and it led you to suicide. Social services may well have been shit in your case but I imagine you having had continuity and love for a while would have changed you a bit and then for it suddenly to be all shattered and taken away by a death would make things a lot worse. Social services these days have to try and mitigate against that with thier "extensive" checks on potential adopters including health.

Its unfortunate you read straight into the hands of the media spin.
Old 14-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Chip

I think that confusing foster parents and people who adopt is a bad idea too.

I know people who foster, and they deliberately dont let themselves get too attached as its only a temporary arragement and getting attached would be bad for both parties, where as people I know who have adopted are totally the opposite and have thrown their heart and soul into it.
Old 14-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Chip some people do foster the same child over several years. That may not be the "purpose" of the fostering system but it does happen.

Also some children very easily become attached even to foster parents in a very short time. It is widely known in social care that repeatedly uprooting children and moving them around every few months is detrimental to their psychological wellbeing. Even the fostering system is NOT meant to be like that with foster care meant to be a short term stepping stone to a more permenant solution be it adoption or care homes or returning to family home.

Unfortunately the fostering system is yet another poorly funded poorly managed sector of social services in many areas.

Children with extremely challenging behaviour may end up being passed from foster parent to more foster parents regularly until the appropriate child needs are met, but thats NOT meant to be a policy for all children to be shunted around every 5 minutes but unfortunately it happens.
Old 14-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip - Foster carers can have a child from an hour to a lifetime.... they arent all temporary.

Warren - yes i completely take on board what youre saying.
Old 14-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Warren - yes i completely take on board what youre saying.
Good as long as your not wielding the ban stick

What ive found interesting this week in my studies is how the fostering agency system was supposed to save money and simplify the process but in reality screws things up. TBH im not surprised bringing private companies into things has made it go down hill. Its seen widely across healthcare and social care that where theres profit to be made, excessive cuts happen and barely minimum standards are met. Criminal really when these organisations are given money to bring up kids and they take the minimum effort approach. Even cattle seem to have more welfare rights