General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ah gaz coilovers! see there are more with a problem. can any1 help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
fezzyRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ah gaz coilovers! see there are more with a problem. can any1 help???

alrite boys and girls. right i bought some coilovers a week ago for my mk3 fiesta rs turbo and have just tried to fit them today but had quite a big problem. the rears fitted up fine bolted them up job done.
when i came to fit the fronts it was a different matter. this is it, when trying to fit the coilover to the hub mounting it wernt having none of it, the coilover leg was to big.
i measured the bottem of the leg and found it to be roughly 1.3mm bigger than the standard shock i had fitted. standard shock measured at 44.13mm. now does anyone no if i have got the wrong hubs or coilovers? has anybody got these and had trouble? are all fiesta mk3 hubs the same?

please help im going out of my mind.

thanks for help.

kurt
Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were a fucker to get in the front hub. Infact they still aren't all the way in. I cleaned the inside of the hub up, copper greased the bottom of the leg, then with the car on the ramp, placed the hub under load using a stand, then prized the hub open with a pry-bar. This helped alot, but I couldn't get it all the way in. Of course I haven't used the car yet.

Hope that makes sense. However, yours may well be wrong.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Mine were a fucker to get in the front hub. Infact they still aren't all the way in. I cleaned the inside of the hub up, copper greased the bottom of the leg, then with the car on the ramp, placed the hub under load using a stand, then prized the hub open with a pry-bar. This helped alot, but I couldn't get it all the way in. Of course I haven't used the car yet.

Hope that makes sense. However, yours may well be wrong.

X sport said that when they did RST-daves off here, they had trouble with the fronts. said they had to machine the front hubs slightly to get them in
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

Fiesta Si's and i think other later mk3's had different hubs, it could be you have been sent the wrong fronts.

also are gaz painted? when i fitted my avo's to my first fiesta i had they wouldnt go on for shit but i scraped thepaint off and greased them up and they went in eventually.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
fezzyRs

they are a pain in the arse!

christian and beccy- cheers for that mate see what your saying. i cleaned all the inside of the hub and copper greased it also the leg it went in with some serious persuasion but its not right. when i got it right down you couldnt get the bolt in.
1.3mm in a tight fit is just miles out and shouldnt be like that, you can only open the hub up so much and 1.3mm is to much.

pee vee- i was thinking of going down that route but shouldnt really have to. if there quick enough to take your money they should fit spot on. cheers for that info tho alot of help.

lozi- i think your right mate just spoke to a mate in the trade and he has found that fiestas up to 12/93 measure 44.07 which is roughly what i have got and later mk3's 94-96 are 45.50 internal hub diameter, the coilovers measure at 45.54.
might be that i could look for later hubs and they should fit. fair old pain in the arse just to get some shocks to fit!

cheers for your help fellas anything else you find out or think of just let me know.

thanks again angry kurt.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:26 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

As peevee said x sport machined my hubs slightly...and as i've posted in the other threads relating to this topic i wouldn't recommend gaz to anyone now, can't see they've ever actually fitted their coilovers to an rst lol cos there seems to be so many issues with them! Shite quite frankly!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM
bennyboy020
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Give them a call there only in basildon Im sure theyl help you out There meant to have good customer service

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2009, 03:54 PM
andysfatrs
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mk3 fiestas have two different sized hubs, technically the mk3 has smaller shock legs and the mk3.5 has slightly bigger ones, i have the opposire problem as i need the mk3.5 coilovers and have the mk3. if you fit the mk3 hubs you will need the lower arms as well as the ball-joints are different aswell

unfortunately mine have been used for 2 years so we couldn't straight swap
Old 12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
fezzyRs

rstdave- hello mate sounds like there a bit hit and miss. i emailed gaz and they replied to me saying the hub size on fiesta xr and turbo is 44mm and on the si's and base models its 45.5. they say there is 2 kits for fiestas. so ive got the wrong kit! doh!!! so this may have been the case with yours to mate.

cheers for your help guys getting there i think.

kurt
Old 13-01-2009, 10:56 AM
fezzyRs

yeh spoke to gaz today and there really helpful.

they said they will change the coilover casings to the right ones for my car, gonna cost me 50 quid for new casings and delivery there and back.

didnt think that was to bad really considering i didnt buy them direct from them or have a reciept.

they could of just said to bad, glad they didnt tho.

cheers for your input and help guys much appreciated.

kurt