General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Speed restricted cars- coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed restricted cars- coming soon

Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.
The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.
The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7803997.stm
Old 30-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.
The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.
The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7803997.stm

what a load of bollocks, it will never happen, may aswell just get the GPS to drive the car aswell
Old 30-12-2008, 02:17 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the uk it could be done.. infact it can already be done the technology is already inveted, al you need is a GPS connect to the ECU.

Anyway in Malta would never be used since even GPSs can't be bothered to work here XD
Old 30-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

nah wont happen anytime soon.

A voluntary scheme as well. all youll get is a few "road captains" and volvo drivers fitting it to prove thier percieved moral highground

Probably wont be long before its a option on volvos

They couldnt fit it as a compulsory option unless the government regulates the GPS database and does proper live updating. Unless they make a new driving law stating "you must update speed GPS database online weekly". And again there would be a civil uproar as they are assuming all motorists have internet access. Guess the plus side is loads of old giffers would loose license as they cant use computers so cant comply with the law

The logistics of implementing this retrospectively is unachievable unless you ban all old cars Same reason why pay per mile tax schemes are many many years away.
Old 30-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

nah wont happen anytime soon.

A voluntary scheme as well. all youll get is a few "road captains" and volvo drivers fitting it to prove thier percieved moral highground

Probably wont be long before its a option on volvos

They couldnt fit it as a compulsory option unless the government regulates the GPS database and does proper live updating. Unless they make a new driving law stating "you must update speed GPS database online weekly". And again there would be a civil uproar as they are assuming all motorists have internet access. Guess the plus side is loads of old giffers would loose license as they cant use computers so cant comply with the law

The logistics of implementing this retrospectively is unachievable unless you ban all old cars Same reason why pay per mile tax schemes are many many years away.
Old 30-12-2008, 03:52 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

i like on the news when the spokes person says
"In the test drivers liked the system, it gave them more time to look out of the windows and enjoy the views rather then checking there speed"
crash waiting to happen,
wont happen in our lifetime
Old 30-12-2008, 04:08 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

I'm not saying it's trival but...

If the EU says "all cars produced from next year need to have this device installed"

This "device" could be made integrated in the ECU.
Since it connects to a staelite for the GPS it would be possible to update it trough the satelite link.
No driver input would be needed.

I don't see it that hard to be done :S

But on the other side some one would find a way to hack, i mean FFS they hack does things in tracks (sorry don't now what they are called in english, they are used to record the tarvel speed, distance, driving time etc, on a paper disc)

After all if i'm not wrong the nissan GTR does something like that, on topgear clarkson sowed how it regonizes when your on a track and it removes the speed limiter.
Old 30-12-2008, 04:12 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

if they do it to all new cars i wouldnt have a problem
im sure there's to many issues to make it work,
Old 30-12-2008, 04:23 PM
scottdob
Gotta love a ford

i wish theyd stop tryner do crap like this, instead of this crap go sort the credit crunch out or theyl have no money todo anything. 1 main reason theyd not do this is imagine how much revnue theyd lose out of the speed cameras
Old 30-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it's only a matter of time before it does happen, and we'll have no choice. I can't see it happening within the next 5 years, but it will happen during our lifetime. It'll do away with the need for cameras as GPS will know exactly how fast you were going and exactly where you were. Big Brother, 24/7. As already said the technology has existed for years and to get ECU's to accommodate the speed extra would be simple to do. As for the Government loosing out on revenue from speed cameras that's a joke. Imagine what the additional income would be as they'd catch EVERY motorist EVERY time they exceeded the speed limit.......
Old 30-12-2008, 05:00 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

so MFI will be better then EFI soon then,i knew the day would come
Old 30-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Mate, new cars will come with it built in and cars that don't have it would be required to have it fitted 'aftermarket' - and probably at the owners expense. Personally I'd tell them bollocks and suspect most people would do the same !
Old 30-12-2008, 05:03 PM
fordrallycar
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Big Brother
Old 30-12-2008, 05:11 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

tbh i always tought about why the goverment doesn't bitch about powerfull cars and how come they haven't impose a law to limit there speed :/
Old 30-12-2008, 05:17 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

if its anything like a works tracker,the fuse can be pulled out at anytime,lol,
Old 30-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Maybe mate, but as soon as it's pulled by anyone who isn't authorised you can bet your arse it's an automatic 3 points.........
Old 30-12-2008, 05:22 PM
endoed
in a mess with wires!!!!!

Default speed

i think its stupid what would happen if you needed to speed up to get out of trouble
Old 30-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

I agree mate, totally.........but since when did this country ever use a modicum of common sense in any decision making ?
Old 30-12-2008, 05:30 PM
as355f1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

have they not already got a similar system on the new skyline ?
Old 30-12-2008, 05:31 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

of course it would be a stupid idea... thats why most proably it will be implemented
Old 30-12-2008, 05:33 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Maybe mate, but as soon as it's pulled by anyone who isn't authorised you can bet your arse it's an automatic 3 points.........
sorry,my battery went flat
Old 30-12-2008, 05:34 PM
endoed
in a mess with wires!!!!!

Default re

Originally Posted by NoGutsNoGlory
of course it would be a stupid idea... thats why most proably it will be implemented

we only pay our tax's and vote so why should we have a say
Old 30-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
sorry,my battery went flat
Theyd find it impossible to prove either way. Unless they remove the aspect of law that states they must prove guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" and make it "you must prove your innocence or be found guilty by default"

The solution is keep a spare battery in garage and do a live powered transfer of the device from car to battery. Only way they could get round that is if they have a compulsory total car monitoring system that monitors every single circuit etc to highlight when the box is removed to a battery.

The only way i can see them stopping that is having roadside boxes linked to ANPR system that requires a linked radio signal from the black box at the same time as the ANPR plate recognition. Failure to detect the black box signal would highlight a "red flag" for pulling/investigation.

It would cost them billions to build the infrastructure and manage such a network, all to manage pay per mile and speeding

how long till they tax the air we breathe im sure that could be done easily with a necklace detecting chest movement and relate it to annual figures you give on one of those lung capacity things at a GP and use the figures to calculate air breathed. Im sure the government will justify it by linking it to 999 system to automatically call ambulance for "stopped breathing" or "irregular breathing"

Why dont they just GPS chip us all like fucking animals
Old 30-12-2008, 05:54 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

they aint even done it yet and we all thinking of way around it already
Old 30-12-2008, 06:01 PM
porksword69
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Theyd find it impossible to prove either way. Unless they remove the aspect of law that states they must prove guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" and make it "you must prove your innocence or be found guilty by default"

The solution is keep a spare battery in garage and do a live powered transfer of the device from car to battery. Only way they could get round that is if they have a compulsory total car monitoring system that monitors every single circuit etc to highlight when the box is removed to a battery.

The only way i can see them stopping that is having roadside boxes linked to ANPR system that requires a linked radio signal from the black box at the same time as the ANPR plate recognition. Failure to detect the black box signal would highlight a "red flag" for pulling/investigation.

It would cost them billions to build the infrastructure and manage such a network, all to manage pay per mile and speeding

how long till they tax the air we breathe I'm sure that could be done easily with a necklace detecting chest movement and relate it to annual figures you give on one of those lung capacity things at a GP and use the figures to calculate air breathed. I'm sure the government will justify it by linking it to 999 system to automatically call ambulance for "stopped breathing" or "irregular breathing"

Why don't they just GPS chip us all like fucking animals
See maybe we're not so nuts after all.
Old 30-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

I have had these devices on two of my cars already.

Mk2 mondeo v6 had a speed limiter at 143 mph on the speedo, loads of revs to go. So that must have been installed to help reduce my carbon emissions.

E46 M3 has a speed limiter at 168 mph on the speedo, loads of revs to go as it is only at 6400 ish in 6th. This has helped reduce my carbon emissions and increase my fuel economy. I also feel I have the moral high ground for having one on my car. You lot should stop your speeding and get one fitted now!

RW
Old 30-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by porksword69
See maybe we're not so nuts after all.
Nah theyll just ban anyone who has a brain from driving so that people cant think ways round government plans.

Intelligence will be outlawed as a threat to national security and get you put in a deathcamp like polpot used to do

Well think about it, councils already planning full wieght based refuse charges, sure they could add a meter to the house sewer and charge you for a dump

Wont be long before you have to text a code to council to get streetlamps turned on like in some european towns. Except of course over here they will charge you for the privilege

GPS ankle tags for all (not just ASBO teens ) will enable them to tax you for walking/cycling on council pavements/roads so even non-drivers will pay road tax

Plus the GPS tracking will help solve crime and locate lost children/confused old people. (the governments justification so thick people wont assume big brother but assume the government actually cares).

And im sure they will create a top heavy expensive organisation to record and monitor this GPS data including profiling peoples movement patterns to "create statistics" and "prevent terrorism". What they will forget to tell you is they will sell the data to insurance companys who will use it to adjust premiums upwards example one: person x walks down dodgy road once a week, thats an extra Ł10 on life premium and Ł5 on insurance for mobile phone/credit card theft. Example 2: person y does 6 hours walking, 2 hours running a week, decreasing death premium Ł10 a month but increasing BUPA injury premium Ł15 a month
Old 30-12-2008, 06:55 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

Nah theyll just ban anyone who has a brain from driving so that people cant think ways round government plans.

Intelligence will be outlawed as a threat to national security and get you put in a deathcamp like polpot used to do

Well think about it, councils already planning full wieght based refuse charges, sure they could add a meter to the house sewer and charge you for a dump

Wont be long before you have to text a code to council to get streetlamps turned on like in some european towns. Except of course over here they will charge you for the privilege

GPS ankle tags for all (not just ASBO teens ) will enable them to tax you for walking/cycling on council pavements/roads so even non-drivers will pay road tax

Plus the GPS tracking will help solve crime and locate lost children/confused old people. (the governments justification so thick people wont assume big brother but assume the government actually cares).

And im sure they will create a top heavy expensive organisation to record and monitor this GPS data including profiling peoples movement patterns to "create statistics" and "prevent terrorism". What they will forget to tell you is they will sell the data to insurance companys who will use it to adjust premiums upwards example one: person x walks down dodgy road once a week, thats an extra Ł10 on life premium and Ł5 on insurance for mobile phone/credit card theft. Example 2: person y does 6 hours walking, 2 hours running a week, decreasing death premium Ł10 a month but increasing BUPA injury premium Ł15 a month
hahaha you sure don't like the "system" hehehehe
Old 30-12-2008, 06:57 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
I have had these devices on two of my cars already.

Mk2 mondeo v6 had a speed limiter at 143 mph on the speedo, loads of revs to go. So that must have been installed to help reduce my carbon emissions.

E46 M3 has a speed limiter at 168 mph on the speedo, loads of revs to go as it is only at 6400 ish in 6th. This has helped reduce my carbon emissions and increase my fuel economy. I also feel I have the moral high ground for having one on my car. You lot should stop your speeding and get one fitted now!

RW
are you seroius ?????

as if 143mph and 168 mph aren't over the speed limit.

Why limit you to a limit were it is still ilegal :S.
Better to have NO LIMITS
Old 30-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes I am serious. No idea why for the mondeo, always confused me. As for bmw, that is a standard they apply to all their fast motors to stop ppl racing on the autobahns.

RW
Old 30-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by NoGutsNoGlory
hahaha you sure don't like the "system" hehehehe
NAh im just cynical enough to know that polititions and government are only interested in themselves and that our society is going straight down the pan unless we fight for our own rights.
Old 30-12-2008, 07:23 PM
NoGutsNoGlory
PassionFord Regular

NAh im just cynical enough to know that polititions and government are only interested in themselves and that our society is going straight down the pan unless we fight for our own rights.
wow that sounded EXACTLY as something i would say.

Can't agree more with you man
Old 30-12-2008, 10:24 PM
porksword69
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

NAh I'm just cynical enough to know that politicians and government are only interested in themselves and that our society is going straight down the pan unless we fight for our own rights.
Ive been saying for donkeys that what this country needs is revolution.
Problem is most people are scared of saying the wrong thing, sounding un PC, or just too fucking lazy.
A government should be scared of its people. Not the other way round.
Old 30-12-2008, 11:06 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

just watching this on the news, and seing them testing it. i would say this could be used for people that have lost there license due to speeding? when you next apply for it, it should be under the condition you have this installed on all vehicles you drive for a period of time (say 5 years?) then can be removed. sort of like how they tag criminals when there realeased from prison?