General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

where do i stand with long term sick leave?

Search this Thread

Old 17-11-2008, 03:38 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question where do i stand with long term sick leave?

ive got some nerve tests soon on my ulnar nerve, now i started to get these problems when i started work 5 years ago.

its my ulnar nerve as i have severe muscle wasteage on my arm and hands, am due an operation after these nerve tests, recovery is from 8 months to 2 years.

my work cant sack me for this can they, i work for royal mail? tried ringing the department of employment but there engaged all the time!
Old 17-11-2008, 03:45 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

speak to them and they will be able to answer all of your queries.

Last edited by SapphyMike; 17-11-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 17-11-2008, 06:00 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

You can't be dismissed whilst sick, they can't harass you to get back to work either, although some employers might try, Royal Mail won't

It used to be 6 months full pay then 6 months 1/2 pay, don't know what it is nowadays there though.

./
Old 17-11-2008, 06:21 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by focusv8
You can't be dismissed whilst sick, they can't harass you to get back to work either, although some employers might try, Royal Mail won't

It used to be 6 months full pay then 6 months 1/2 pay, don't know what it is nowadays there though.

./
cool, tried that link above, i have that number but it was engaged!
Old 17-11-2008, 06:51 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is an ulnar nerve transposition you are having, it can take up to four years, with no gaurantee it will be better, as I was offered one but not bad enough(to me) to warrant one.
tabetha
Old 17-11-2008, 07:08 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
If it is an ulnar nerve transposition you are having, it can take up to four years, with no gaurantee it will be better, as I was offered one but not bad enough(to me) to warrant one.
tabetha
yes ulnar nerve is the problem, did you see the post with my hand in it and the huge muscle wasteage?

surely i cant get sacked, will ring around tomorrow! this is bad, im in huge amunts of pain daily!
Old 17-11-2008, 10:34 PM
vinnyvangough
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm signed off at the moment and have been since Feb.

I was getting £75 a week for 6 months from work and now £0 from work and am getting £47 a week from incapacity. Thats is it.
Old 17-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnyvangough
now £0 from work and am getting £47 a week from incapacity. Thats is it.
Thats less than JSA!!! according to government you need £60 a week to live. I guess its less if your ill

You not entitled to LHA??? (the new housing benefit)
Old 18-11-2008, 12:42 AM
vinnyvangough
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No as i still live at home with my Dad.
I can't really afford to pay my car insurance, phone bill and other bills. But apparently i am not entitled to anything else. Bank is loving me with all the charges they keep chucking on.
Old 18-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

you need to cancel direct debits and pay everything manually!! That way you can keep the charges under control. I found some companys are cunts and will try and direct debit you 2/3 times a month in addition to the main bill you couldnt pay, so a £100 bill soon turns into £200 by the time the bank charges are added.
Old 18-11-2008, 07:54 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Incapacity goes up in stages 3 times, at 1 year you will be on max, just the way it is.
You MAY qualify for DLA, disability living allowance, this is NOT means tested, ie you get it even if you are a millionaire, so long as you qualify, there are two parts called care and mobility, care is divdided into 3 parts lower/middle/higher, mobility into 2 parts higher and lower.
The basic "cooking test", lower rate car would be staisfied by a lot of people who don't claim it, as would low rate mobility.
Getting high rate mobility entitles you to FREE road tax, free bus pass, free london congestion charge.
If any company takes more than they are allowed under a direct debit gaurantee, they are liable for any charges incurred as a result.
Get a copy of the CPAG handbook, as it will list all benefits, including a lot of info you don't know about, 1 example ,
A man and woman live together, they have sex together, go shopping take holidays with each other all the time, are they a couple ?, if they were a couple they would have less in total benefits between them, but NO they are not classed as a couple, WHY, because they have seperate cupboards with each having thier own food in it, odd but true, they can cook together, but keeping the food seperate has been decided in law as deconstituting them as a couple, all in CPAG.
tabetha
ps pm me if you want to know more
Old 18-11-2008, 08:11 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

we let go 2 guys this year with long term sick problems

one with a bad back
one with vertigo

both been off for around 18 months or so, both been to the docrots for check ups etc

they have been let go with the understanding that they can no longer do the job they are contracted to do, as in drive, the company aren't paying them anything, but they are still employed so they can't do anything else

don't know how it works with the royal mail but explore every avenue before you decided to talk a long walk down what may be a short path, just becomse someone else has done it, doesn't mea you will be the same

years ago you got absolutly jack shit benifits if you were living with your family other than the basics
Old 18-11-2008, 05:12 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

If he has muscle wasteage and that prevents him from continuing his previous occupation, then that alone is worth benefits.
I get DLA, disability benefit, severe disability benefit, incapacity benefit, housing allowance(100%), community charge(100%), so there are many avenuse to explore, though of course being at home will exclude you from housing/comm charge, but could still be £170 - £210 a week, after set time.
tabetha