General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cars getting stolen????

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2008, 06:40 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cars getting stolen????

1st of all,im not getting at/attacking ne1 in this thread...

but i see more and more threads about cars getting stolen,and i havent been on here that long,ive been in to my performance fords for years and ive always made sure they were secure as possible.

now my point is,cars are getting stolen that are just sat on drives,why arent they chained to the floor? or blocked in by another car? the days when you could leave a performance car on your drive and expect it to be there in the morning are long gone,so why havent owners taken higher precautions? mine is never taken out of the garage in the day,and its always chained to the floor,even if your car has no engine it should be garaged or chained up,make it harder for the twats,make them work for the car if they really wanna take it,theres a woman in the next town from me who leaves her 1 owner from new cosworth at the side of a main road with no steering locks or anything,shes either a major player in the criminal world or very lucky that it hasnt gone yet!

so what im getting round to is secure your car more!!! especially if you have already had 1 stolen i think being extreme with security is the way to go nowadays!

all the above is my opinion and im really not trying to start a argument or annoy any1,just secure your performance fords more!!
Old 14-11-2008, 06:43 PM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosman
1st of all,im not getting at/attacking ne1 in this thread...

but i see more and more threads about cars getting stolen,and i havent been on here that long,ive been in to my performance fords for years and ive always made sure they were secure as possible.

now my point is,cars are getting stolen that are just sat on drives,why arent they chained to the floor? or blocked in by another car? the days when you could leave a performance car on your drive and expect it to be there in the morning are long gone,so why havent owners taken higher precautions? mine is never taken out of the garage in the day,and its always chained to the floor,even if your car has no engine it should be garaged or chained up,make it harder for the twats,make them work for the car if they really wanna take it,theres a woman in the next town from me who leaves her 1 owner from new cosworth at the side of a main road with no steering locks or anything,shes either a major player in the criminal world or very lucky that it hasnt gone yet!

so what im getting round to is secure your car more!!! especially if you have already had 1 stolen i think being extreme with security is the way to go nowadays!

all the above is my opinion and im really not trying to start a argument or annoy any1,just secure your performance fords more!!
good idea about chaining them down..

simple but effective..

but more than likely the theivin pikey's will have bolt cutter's..
Old 14-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Stevie RS Boy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they want them that bad, they would get them,
Old 14-11-2008, 07:00 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by Stevie RS Boy
i know what you sayin but the fuckers would have to sweat to get mine and then be fast runners or ill be smashing their heads in with a baseball bat,i keep it next to the bed with trainers and the baby monitor,i worked for years to save for mine so wont let go of it easy
Old 14-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

think if they do want it they will and not alot of things will stop them now..
Old 14-11-2008, 07:12 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

i can leave any car on my drive unlocked any time day i suppose its where you live
Old 14-11-2008, 07:19 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by bigal1978
i can leave any car on my drive unlocked any time day i suppose its where you live
my mate at work got his saff stolen off his drive,he thought a decent alarm would protect it,so him being brainy bought a supra,they nicked that aswell...

Trending Topics

Old 14-11-2008, 07:24 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by ** T **
think if they do want it they will and not alot of things will stop them now..
I see your point, but I almost read that as "dont bother with security"

The more you do to secure it, the longer it will take them, and the higher the chance of them leaving it alone. They might get annoyed and trash it, but i'd rather they kick the panels in than drive it to destruction.....
Old 14-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Shanny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Smile

In the last 10 years I've owned a Calibra Turbo, a show winning Cossie, two Imprezas and I park them on the street, in car parks, sometimes unlocked(getting old and forgetful) and they've never been touched. I have parked them in city centres all over the UK and Europe.I'm of the opinion that if they want, they will have it, regardless of chains, alarms and bats or where they are parked.
I would say that it has to be down to luck or wrong place, wrong time but I'm not going to lose sleep over worrying about them.

My in laws had the wheels taken off of a Land Cruiser in the middle of the night. They got around the wheel locks and left it on bricks. The house was on a fairly busy junction and it was on the driveway under street lights.

I'll probably wake up in the morning and my garage will be empty!
Old 14-11-2008, 07:36 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by Shanny
In the last 10 years I've owned a Calibra Turbo, a show winning Cossie, two Imprezas and I park them on the street, in car parks, sometimes unlocked(getting old and forgetful) and they've never been touched. I have parked them in city centres all over the UK and Europe.I'm of the opinion that if they want, they will have it, regardless of chains, alarms and bats or where they are parked.
I would say that it has to be down to luck or wrong place, wrong time but I'm not going to lose sleep over worrying about them.

My in laws had the wheels taken off of a Land Cruiser in the middle of the night. They got around the wheel locks and left it on bricks. The house was on a fairly busy junction and it was on the driveway under street lights.

I'll probably wake up in the morning and my garage will be empty!
you been lucky then!!
Old 14-11-2008, 07:38 PM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used to leave the key's in mine the whole time. i must live in the safest area of the country. theres next to no car crime here at all!!
Old 14-11-2008, 07:40 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that if they want it, they will have it, but as said, the more secure the longer it will take and will put of the opportunist scum, but wont deter the proffessional.

Not a great deal you can do if they put a shotgun in your face in the middle of the night as has been the case a couple of times in my area though.

I could actually afford my pick of cars at the moment as far as evo's, scoobies, ST's, M3's etc, but tbh, am put off by the idea of worrying about them so just keep tootling the now less desirable CTR.

Sad times.
Old 14-11-2008, 07:45 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they want my car, they can take it.

Ok, I'll do the basics to try and put off the have a go hero, but I'd rather a focused and professional thief had a relatively easy time of it and wasn't forced to come upstairs, threaten us and demand keys for the car in the middle of the night.

I'd much rather be sitting with my family explaining distinguishing features of my car to a policeman and phoning my insurance to submit a claim than lying in a hospital bed fighting for my life (or worse) after discovering that they had come along considerably more tooled up than me with one of my golf clubs.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 14-11-2008, 07:51 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

agree with that, bloke near me got battered for his keys in the night and the car taken, another family had a shot gun in the face, blagged the car was a friends and they had no keys and so they robbed the pet staffi!!
Old 14-11-2008, 08:03 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

i would give the keys up if threatened with a gun,but anything else and id be so fucking enraged that theyd dared id have a major go,i have such a temper that rational thought goes out the window,im not bothered by my daily runner but they tried it with cos and i caught them i would lose it bigstyle.
Old 14-11-2008, 08:30 PM
booner999
Advanced PassionFord User

shot gun in the face, wonder what they would do if they lent over you and you had one diggin into there bollocks!
Old 14-11-2008, 09:24 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

x2 heavily built security posts behind a tripple point garage door, alarm system linked in with house alarm and a BIG fuckoff chain bolting the thing to the ground should stop mine going walkies.

Also soon to get (by my mate who's a bit of a whizz with electronics) my house alarm connected up to a phone unit that rings me and tells me which sensor has gone off if i'm not home when it goes off.

Cossies are one of the easiest cars to break up and sell parts off for good money, trackers and serials number dont mean a thing to a professional....only thing you can do is physically make it unmovable...take bits off so will not run, bolt/chain it down, security pillars on driveways and behind garage doors and alarm systems all help.

People always think their car will never go missin as it has a good alarm or its in the garage but so many do....

I also know for a fact at least half of the people I know who've had car 'thefts' over the years have been insurance jobs.....

Dan
Old 14-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Where I use to live had a Pug 205 Gti stolen it had no battery and didnt run the fookers towed it away,thing is you use chains etc the fookers will just try and drag your car until they break,or as people have siad use bolt cutters

If they wnat it they will have no matter what
Old 14-11-2008, 09:53 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

many many moons ago a mate used to spray cars at a farm that used to rent barns out, his mate bought a saff cos, they pulled it in late at night, took the leads off, covered it over and locked up.

In the morning it was gone, wasn't insured either, that was 10 years ago, so they were worth a prettypenny, gutted.
Old 14-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

how easy is it to fit a ground anchor and post????

You can easily get chains these days that no bolt croppers will touch. Some of the motorbike hardened chains are very good.
Old 14-11-2008, 10:19 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
how easy is it to fit a ground anchor and post????

You can easily get chains these days that no bolt croppers will touch. Some of the motorbike hardened chains are very good.

Yeah I have a buch of decent bike chains all sleeved up from my cousins old bike, tried my croppers on them and it fucked my croppers pretty much. Only way really would be to grind it or burn it off.....

Putting a post in is easy really, you just need a hammer drill and a solid garage floor......you can get removable post ones, ones which fold over etc.... search on google for security posts and millions come up.

If you get one just measure up your splitter and make sure it'd clear as it looked pretty low today

dan
Old 14-11-2008, 10:28 PM
cossieprob
550+ LUV IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they want it they will find a way 2 nick it, my dads bmw soft top got stolen tuesday about 730pm when 1 of the people in the street pasted it , less than 30mins after my dad popped out , broke in to the house and stole the keys .it was later used 2 rob a pub still no sign of it .these days they dont give a fook any time any place and nowbody will get in the way.
Old 14-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I like the idea of the telephone system for the alarm. I will see if i can do that for my house alarm!! Will have to be a GSM based system as it seems round my way all the telephone cables despite coming from a telegraph pole, run down the outside wall to ground level so a land line system is useless as any thief worth thier salt will just snip the wire.
Old 14-11-2008, 10:39 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

best system ever is blackjax for car security

even a shotgun in the face.. just hand him the keys and let him drive away..HE WONT GET VERY FAR

the only way your cars lost for good is a hiab or a lo loader thief

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5090.html

FLAWLESS
Old 14-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

how does blackjax work then??? is it just a keypad ignition system?? or do you have a transponder on you????

Only problem i can see with the system these days is a gun man would come running if the car stopped and pistol whip you for the code
Old 14-11-2008, 11:50 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

I fell out with a friend of mine because I found out he had reported his car stolen and in fact had moved it to another garage and broke it himself.
He stopped talking to me even though I didnt tell anyone just because i found out !
Total cunt IMO
Old 14-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

people who do an insurance job on thier car are worse than thieves in my opinion.
Old 15-11-2008, 12:02 AM
alanfordtw-15
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Stevie RS Boy
i hate that atitude, so what you just leave your car and keys in it everywhere cos 'theyll only get it anyway' make life as easy as possible for the scum?
make him work to get it and if you make it hard enough - chains, poles, locks, hidden switches, sirens, he'll give up cos hes a short sighted brain dead waster or youll be battering him with a bat for going at your car
Old 15-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by alanfordtw-15
he'll give up cos hes a short sighted brain dead waster or youll be battering him with a bat for going at your car
Sadly a lot of criminals arent as stupid as you think! And chances are as you take a pop with your bat he caps you with his 9mm

Although i agree make things as hard as possible for them, you have to understand that ultimately its a cycle of escalation if they really want your car.

We already know that theft of keys is the prefered choice now and home robberies just for keys are on the up including associated violence. Give it 10 years and that will probably be the main way along with towing that cars are nicked!! Cant see our police doing anything to stop it either.

To be honest we need a few whole family massacres by car thieves before the police will do anything about it!!!
Old 15-11-2008, 12:18 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how does blackjax work then??? is it just a keypad ignition system?? or do you have a transponder on you????

Only problem i can see with the system these days is a gun man would come running if the car stopped and pistol whip you for the code
get a grip as said above

you have no idea how the system works..

the car has a password code to be driven ..

if the codes are not entered after so many mins ..the system boots up

if your looking for a petty argument try the muppet room

because you know fuck all what your talking about ...

give it a miss
Old 15-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by avid-fan
get a grip as said above

you have no idea how the system works..

the car has a password code to be driven ..

if the codes are not entered after so many mins ..the system boots up

if your looking for a petty argument try the muppet room

because you know fuck all what your talking about ...

give it a miss
So why get a grip???

I asked how the system works cos i know FUCK ALL ABOUT IT and the link doesnt tell you much.

My point about a gunman stands if its password based.

How does the system know youve been car jacked?? or do you have to enter the code every few minutes trough out your journey???? Or is it only activated on switching the key off???
Old 15-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Dub604

I had a XR3i, reg H868ELT. i spent loads of money on her, it was a full turbo replica, meaning it was a rs turbo. I had just had an rs turbo engine conversion done by a guy from Langley, who charged me Ł1000 for everything inc a janspeed exhaust (had never seen one of those before). so the car was delivered to me and ran great, the enging was quiet and fast however the alarm and immobiliser had been removed during the conversion because of the loom change.

so i come home from work at around 0100 and park up put on my security device (seering lock, was booked in to have a ai606 installed the next) i removed the coil lead as an extra. Then i go to sleep, i woke up a short time later after hearing brooooooom woosh, brooooom as it faded into the background, I thought was that my car? nah i thought and drifted off again.

I woke up at 8:30am and looked out for my car, like i did every morning, andall i saw was an empty car park place. obviously i called the police but there was no chance it would be found.

I called the guy that did the engine conversion and even though he had moved away from the area, (up north) he was conveniently back in the area visiting a friend who owned a scrap yard.... the conspiricy theory gets more and more in depth from here so im not gonna go into it or ill be here all night

but having a car stolen really sucks, and still to this day im pissed off about it, and to add insult to injury the insurance only offered my Ł500 as it was only a xr3i and had no agreed value. and to me my ncb was worth more to me than that,i was under 25 with only a couple years unprotected.

i think all car thieves should be slowly and very painfully killed, but also hooked up to a blood transfusion and a defribrilator incase they croak before your done with the torture.
Old 15-11-2008, 07:17 AM
cossieprob
550+ LUV IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the car is running and all doors r closed u put the code in, if u dont it gives u about 30sec then the car stops and a lot of noise and flashing lights.if the doors are open 4 so one to get in u must put the code back in if not noise and flashing lights again,With out the code you going no where
Old 15-11-2008, 08:33 AM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Originally Posted by mikecozza69
I had a XR3i, reg H868ELT. i spent loads of money on her, it was a full turbo replica, meaning it was a rs turbo. I had just had an rs turbo engine conversion done by a guy from Langley, who charged me Ł1000 for everything inc a janspeed exhaust (had never seen one of those before). so the car was delivered to me and ran great, the enging was quiet and fast however the alarm and immobiliser had been removed during the conversion because of the loom change.

so i come home from work at around 0100 and park up put on my security device (seering lock, was booked in to have a ai606 installed the next) i removed the coil lead as an extra. Then i go to sleep, i woke up a short time later after hearing brooooooom woosh, brooooom as it faded into the background, I thought was that my car? nah i thought and drifted off again.

I woke up at 8:30am and looked out for my car, like i did every morning, andall i saw was an empty car park place. obviously i called the police but there was no chance it would be found.

I called the guy that did the engine conversion and even though he had moved away from the area, (up north) he was conveniently back in the area visiting a friend who owned a scrap yard.... the conspiricy theory gets more and more in depth from here so im not gonna go into it or ill be here all night

but having a car stolen really sucks, and still to this day im pissed off about it, and to add insult to injury the insurance only offered my Ł500 as it was only a xr3i and had no agreed value. and to me my ncb was worth more to me than that,i was under 25 with only a couple years unprotected.

i think all car thieves should be slowly and very painfully killed, but also hooked up to a blood transfusion and a defribrilator incase they croak before your done with the torture.
My friend had a similar experience to this about 8 years ago... his genuine rs turbo went in for a gearbox and clutch, to some ropey garage on an estate near our old college (note at this point the battery was fooked, needed jumping each time to start). the car was fixed and returned within a few days, and as he collected it, he was told that they had to disconnect his clifford as his alarm kept going off as they were working on it (battery fooked WTF?!?!?!?!) anyway he took the car home, parked it on the drive (rember batt dead so wont start, or unlock from the keyfob) and about a week later it walked....

The guy who worked at the garage was known to us as a ford freak and a complete wanker, but he also went to school with my mate, so no bells rang initially. the car was never seen again.

Bummer was, that cos the car had been off the road for so long, mainly blocked in by a vectra, that the insurance had long ran out so he never got a penny
Old 15-11-2008, 11:40 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Sadly a lot of criminals arent as stupid as you think! And chances are as you take a pop with your bat he caps you with his 9mm

Although i agree make things as hard as possible for them, you have to understand that ultimately its a cycle of escalation if they really want your car.

We already know that theft of keys is the prefered choice now and home robberies just for keys are on the up including associated violence. Give it 10 years and that will probably be the main way along with towing that cars are nicked!! Cant see our police doing anything to stop it either.

To be honest we need a few whole family massacres by car thieves before the police will do anything about it!!!
i take all the precautions with mine,just cant put a post in cos the garage isnt long enough,i dont even leave the keys at my house,im wording my boss up to keep it at work though,he got 4 yards,1 of em in middle of nowhere what he uses for breaking the wagons up,got a garage blocked by scrap artic,im after stashing it in there,chaining it to floor and then blocking it with forklift
Old 15-11-2008, 11:42 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

i find wagon lifting chains best for chaining them up,guna av be going at some speed to break chains tested to 50ton!
Old 15-11-2008, 12:05 PM
CossieGirl
Miss Doubtsalot

Ours is always tucked away in the garage in our house.
BUT I do leave the keys where they can see them. If they really want it, I prefer them to just take the keys and leave in stead of showing up at the side of my bed with a gun or something.
In Belgium however hardly anybody has a clue what a Cosworth is Most people think it's just another old shonky Ford with some spoilers on it and probably don't even want to be seen in one
Old 15-11-2008, 12:54 PM
rostill2007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make the bastards work for them if there is a chance they may be caught most walk away
Old 15-11-2008, 08:36 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kosman
theres a woman in the next town from me who leaves her 1 owner from new cosworth at the side of a main road with no steering locks or anything,shes either a major player in the criminal world or very lucky that it hasnt gone yet
fuck me that sounds like Aaroncast

kosman are you sure its not a beefy bloke wearing his mums outfits ?
Old 15-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by cossieprob
When the car is running and all doors r closed u put the code in, if u dont it gives u about 30sec then the car stops and a lot of noise and flashing lights.if the doors are open 4 so one to get in u must put the code back in if not noise and flashing lights again,With out the code you going no where
Cool thats the info i was after before avid-fan went off on one

So do they hide the keypad away??? Just thinking you need a balance between convienence and discreetness as most car thiefs will recognise a keypad if they see one.

Quick Reply: cars getting stolen????