General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cover letters for job applications?

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cover letters for job applications?

Righty then, i've finally found 2 jobs that i actually wana apply for, both junior positions in the city, but im kinda stumped as to what exactly i should be putting in a cover letter, esp being straight out of uni, so my experience is..........erm................ somwhat lacking!

has anyone got any tips or owt they'd like to share?- Please! im just a bit stuck
Old 16-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

this is mine, but its shit...

at least its something to work from

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you with my enclosed CV in the hope that I would be considered for any job vacancies you may have in your company. If there are no current oportunities, may I ask that my CV be kept on file in case anything may arise in the future. My main field of experience is in Operations, with most of my knowledge in PC Hardware/Software and IBM iSeries Software. I am hoping to be employed in a department dealing with similar systems and are also interested in learning new systems and techniques.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Jim Galbally
Old 16-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

cheers jim, good start!
Old 16-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put what you want read in your letter, and make me want to read YOUR CV. If I haven't got a vacancy, I probably still get a dozen or so CVs every week, but they are very low in the priority pile. There are other things that need dealt with right now.

Use good-quality white or buff paper for the letter and the CV. If I've advertised a position I will get hundreds, even thousands, of replies and won't have time to read and appraise all the CVs. The harsh fact is that the thinning process starts with easy things:
Nasty paper (thin/thick/coloured)
Untidy presentation/hard to read (funny fonts etc)
Lots of close-typed text - white space leaves me room to add notes

Think of your letter as a short brochure on your product (yourself) and tell me why I should want to interview you.
You don't have experience so what CAN you bring? Industry connections? Interest in the product I make/sell?
Is your degree relevant? - tell me how. It shows you have researched my industry and maybe my company, and that you have an interest in it.
Have you done any placement work? How does that prepare you?
Have you organised any student or other clubs? What was involved? How do those skills fit the job you want?
Don't bother listing references at this stage - I won't check them till I have met you and I can ask for them then - use the space for something more useful.

Keep the letter to no more than one page, be sure to make clear how they can contact you and, depending on the job, it could be appropriate to take some control of the process by suggesting that you will make contact early next week to discuss suitable opportunities. Just be sure that if you do say that, that you then do it - no-one wants to hire someone who won't honour commitments.
Old 16-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

blimmey, most helpfull matey! im goning to get started methinks! cheers again!
Old 16-11-2004, 05:43 PM
deleted
10K+ Poster!!

Location: learnin to build a yb lump properly in dennis's garage

mine just states the job im looking for please consider blah blah or retain my cv for future