General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

which touch screen phone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM
mk3matt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which touch screen phone?

as in titles guys. which have you found to be the best all rounder?

i want a good camera, ( 3.2m or above)
mp3 player
wi fi if poss

looking to get one later today!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a big fan of phones built on the google android platform.
it has a large and increasing collection of application available for download, and performs really well.

its also not locked to a specific network

if I wanted only the following and required no net access

a good camera, ( 3.2m or above)
mp3 player
wi fi if poss

I would have to look at sony phones as I think these have the best camera, however they are not touch screen
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
I would have to look at sony phones as I think these have the best camera, however they are not touch screen
The X1 is.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Samsung toco is ace......excellent camera, excellent touch screen interface....however no wifi

If you want a can do eveything phone and arent bothered with touch screen then an Orange (HTC) SPV E650 will piss all over most phones
Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
an Orange (HTC) SPV E650 will piss all over most phones
Not anymore, it's end of line, defunkt, kaput. Slow processor. The S740 is the proper replacement for it.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
Not anymore, it's end of line, defunkt, kaput. Slow processor. The S740 is the proper replacement for it.
Yup agreed...and this http://www.adminspy.com/Gadgets/cell...ile_phone.html looks to fit the bill nicely too

I've used HTC phones for years and IMO they offer unparalleled functionality....you can shove i-phones up your ass....you've been able to install your own apps on windows mobiles for years
Old 11-11-2008, 08:49 AM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

iPhone. The only thing missing from your list is the 3.2mp camera... its only a 2mp cam, but the pics still come out really good for what it is

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

im a big fan of phones built on the google android platform.
it has a large and increasing collection of application available for download, and performs really well.

its also not locked to a specific network

if I wanted only the following and required no net access

a good camera, ( 3.2m or above)
mp3 player
wi fi if poss

Really? Which phones are these? Cos according to Google and Android (basically one and the same now) the only released production model on the Android platform is the T-Mobile G1, which incidentally is locked, across the world, to T-Mobile network....
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i had an LG viewty which was superb, but the lack of buttons started irritating me, ive now got an LG kg660( venus ) and its best of both worlds, i love it
Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Really? Which phones are these? Cos according to Google and Android (basically one and the same now) the only released production model on the Android platform is the T-Mobile G1, which incidentally is locked, across the world, to T-Mobile network....
The process of using a gphone on another network is quite simple. Just opened up the back of the G1, removed the battery, swap in an already active SIM card, close the phone back up, and then restart it. When the phone finishes booting, it prompts you for an unlock code, which the phone provider will give you.
Nothing complex - just 8 numbers. Each code is different and is linked to the IMEI number for your phone, which you can find by entering *#06# on your phone’s keypad.

So OK although, technically it can be considered locked to a service, its not by restrictive hardware its no more difficult to unlock than any other phone, subsidised by a provider and if your not capable of doing this yourself, you can do it with the sites such as the URL below.
http://www.unlock-tmobileg1.com/
When you buy any phone these days on contract its generally locked to the services offered by the company which subsidises the cost, when I stated its not locked I meant by restrictive hardware which means it can loose functionality of be locked again once unlocked, I obviously wrongly worded this.

I find the open nature of this phone really exciting with all the possibility's it can bring, you can download the source code and compile the OS yourself should you so wish, the development tools are also free.
The company I work for is already developing for this platform and some of the hardware products coming with involvement of company's like samsung, intel and nvidia are seriously cool imho

The application store is also available to ALL developers and just not the applications considered to be appropriate.

You even can install Linux alongside the phone
http://www.saurik.com/id/10

A great site for resources is.
http://www.androidauthority.com/

Already people got root access to the phone
http://modmygphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4351

Here's a pic of a gphone running on a non t-Mobile network

If you want to be specific a large number of mobile phones from all major manufacturers are subsidised by the phone networks and as such locked to their service, some phones are easier to release than others.

I think the g-phone its a good product though even on t-mobile as you can download all available applications without having to unlock it and it has a reasonable camera, although 3mp is still pretty poor these days imho

The fact that Android is an Open platform means it has possibility's beyond what the phone company allow, the fact that so much has been discovered in such a short time clearly proves this.

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 11-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Turbocabbie- you do sound like a typical lunix fanboi
Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

My Samsung/Giorgio Armani Phone is pretty good and does what it says on the tin, no WiFi though, but a very good screen, proper easy to use and a decent camera too!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

But the Gphone looks sooooo Pony!!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
Turbocabbie- you do sound like a typical lunix fanboi
I am and it so distresses me
i've even asked for a book on advanced bash but I really want santa to bring me a life
Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

The process of using a gphone on another network is quite simple. Just opened up the back of the G1, removed the battery, swap in an already active SIM card, close the phone back up, and then restart it. When the phone finishes booting, it prompts you for an unlock code, which the phone provider will give you.
Nothing complex - just 8 numbers. Each code is different and is linked to the IMEI number for your phone, which you can find by entering *#06# on your phone’s keypad.

So OK although, technically it can be considered locked to a service, its not by restrictive hardware its no more difficult to unlock than any other phone, subsidised by a provider and if your not capable of doing this yourself, you can do it with the sites such as the URL below.
http://www.unlock-tmobileg1.com/
When you buy any phone these days on contract its generally locked to the services offered by the company which subsidises the cost, when I stated its not locked I meant by restrictive hardware which means it can loose functionality of be locked again once unlocked, I obviously wrongly worded this.

I find the open nature of this phone really exciting with all the possibility's it can bring, you can download the source code and compile the OS yourself should you so wish, the development tools are also free.
The company I work for is already developing for this platform and some of the hardware products coming with involvement of company's like samsung, intel and nvidia are seriously cool imho

The application store is also available to ALL developers and just not the applications considered to be appropriate.

You even can install Linux alongside the phone
http://www.saurik.com/id/10

A great site for resources is.
http://www.androidauthority.com/

Already people got root access to the phone
http://modmygphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4351

Here's a pic of a gphone running on a non t-Mobile network

If you want to be specific a large number of mobile phones from all major manufacturers are subsidised by the phone networks and as such locked to their service, some phones are easier to release than others.

I think the g-phone its a good product though even on t-mobile as you can download all available applications without having to unlock it and it has a reasonable camera, although 3mp is still pretty poor these days imho

The fact that Android is an Open platform means it has possibility's beyond what the phone company allow, the fact that so much has been discovered in such a short time clearly proves this.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL All I asked was which phones are the ones you prefer on the Android platform, and you never mentioned any Well, other than the G1 which I already spoke of...

As for locked, it IS locked to a network - T-Mobile. That doesn't mean it can't be hacked - look at my iPhone : it's on T-Mobile, not O2. Look at my Nokia workphone - originally locked to T-Mobile, now on Orange. Virtually all phones can be hacked in one way or another, so that doesn't really classify the G1 as being "unlocked" cos it isn't.

As for the links - I like the saurik link - a guy known mostly for developing hacks and upgrades for the iPhone... And installing Linux - been done on iPhones and iPods for years...

And Symbian OS's are open source too.... I modded the shit out of my Nokia's on that platform!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by bud-weis
But the Gphone looks sooooo Pony!!
I totally agree! I was sooooo looking forward to it's launch - then I saw one and thought it just looked so utterly gash
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Drakey
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i would chose the HTC touch diamond or touch HD (out very soon), both run windows 6.1, have bluetooth, good camera, wifi etc. iphone doesnt bluetooth to any other phone or mms.

this site is will help u choose, some helpfull links for u.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/10...-hidden-flaws/

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/09...f-t-mobile-g1/

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/09...re-is-to-know/

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/09...d-viva-models/

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/10...c-now-sort-of/
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by Thrush
LOLOLOLOLOLOL All I asked was which phones are the ones you prefer on the Android platform, and you never mentioned any Well, other than the G1 which I already spoke of...
I simply stated that I was a fan of phones built on android I never stated a specific phone but if I must its probably the HTC dream which is going by the examples being shows round the open source community shows.

Your as much an Apple fan boi as i am a Linux fan boi Thrush
you cant be to bad at least its a unix of sorts
Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I don't class myself a fanboy at all. I have an ipod which I bought ages ago as it was cheaper for a second hand 60gb ipod than it was for a Zen or similar, and and iPhone as after using one, it was pretty much EXACTLY what I was after in a handheld (even tho it has LOADS of flaws which I readily accept unlike Fanboys)

I also often say I'd rather have a Mac over a PC (I don't have a Mac, and have three PC's) but thats from my HATRED of Windows, and from when I have used Mac's, I far prefer their operation than PC's. I've only ever used Ubuntu, and wasn't keen on it)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

If lunix fanboys spent half as much time learning Windows properly than they do dicking around with shitty open sores crap, they wouldn't moan so much about it!