General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How much toe in before significant tyre wear results

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How much toe in before significant tyre wear results

Bit of a vague question I realise, as obviously lots of other factors involved the moment you start cornering etc, but just talking here about sat on a motorway at 70mph.

My audi daily driver has a factory figure of 2 degrees toe in +/- 2 degrees.
So an acceptable range of 0-4 degrees of toe in essentially.

I tracked it up at 0 degrees, and its done 40K miles (mainly motorway) and still got plenty of tread on the front tyres, in fact the rear tyres are significantly more worn than the front.
Now as the front carries more of the weight, all the power (its fwd) most of the braking and does the cornering its quite surprised me that the front has outlasted the back by so much.

I know the car runs some toe in on the rear, although ive not yet measured how much or looked up what the book figures are supposed to be.

I know the front would have worn the tyres more at 4 degrees than at zero, but just wondering if anyone knows roughly by how much?
would it lose 10% of its milage on a set of tyres, or 50%? What sort of ballpark are we talking about here?