General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Caught@120 on a 70 limit Scottish motorway

Search this Thread

Old 20-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cola
Abe, I got caught exactly the same way in exactly the same place doing 107. Got a one week ban and a 150 quid fine. It's all about the mitigating circumstances.
A week? I could live with that!
Did you use a lawyer?
Old 20-10-2008, 06:43 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JamboRST
as my earlier post that u obviously didnt see,yes i have exceeded the limit and will do so in the future but if and when im caught il deserve to get punished cos i know the law
I did read, and understand your posts. My argument is that motoring punishments should fit the crime - and not be some arbitrary figure which is based purely on mph. I genuinely believe he does not deserve a ban. Points, and fine yes, but not a ban.

I've had 3 points and 60 squid for doing 40 in a 30 a few years back. It wasn't anything stupid like going past a school, but it was still (in terms of probability) more dangerous than Ade's 'crime'. He'll almost certainly get a ban, and if I can do anything to minimise this then I will.

I'll help for two reason - because of my belief in what I wrote above, and also selfishly, because I want to be able to use Ade as a freelancer, as I greatly value his input into my magazine.
Old 20-10-2008, 07:50 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I did read, and understand your posts. My argument is that motoring punishments should fit the crime - and not be some arbitrary figure which is based purely on mph. I genuinely believe he does not deserve a ban. Points, and fine yes, but not a ban.

I've had 3 points and 60 squid for doing 40 in a 30 a few years back. It wasn't anything stupid like going past a school, but it was still (in terms of probability) more dangerous than Ade's 'crime'. He'll almost certainly get a ban, and if I can do anything to minimise this then I will.

I'll help for two reason - because of my belief in what I wrote above, and also selfishly, because I want to be able to use Ade as a freelancer, as I greatly value his input into my magazine.
i agree but as the law states 70mph is the speed limit and 120mph is seen by the police/courts as dangerous driving,so if u decide to do they speeds u do so at your own risk and get punished accordingly
it would be less dangerous to drive 120 on a empty motorway than 70 even 60 in rush hour traffic but the justice system doesnt see it that way
and i suspect that ade to get clocked at 120 he would more than likely have been exceeding that speed too,yes its unfortunate that it affects his job,im a truck driver and i know gettin done doing these speeds will lose me my job and ill be in the same position as ade tryin to get as little a ban as possible,so if i get caught doin what he's done on a deserted motorway at night then i deserve to get banned as i know thats the law,whether we agree or not its written in black and white
Old 20-10-2008, 08:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
WTF!! how did you get dangerous driving??? did you side swipe an oncoming vehicle or something?? or was the copper just being a cock? what did he expect you to do, park up and wait 20 minutes till he moves on
the copper was being a cock

he'd pulled over on a bit of dual carriageway on the heathrow permeter road before a set of lights and, as i went by, he pulled out, so blared the horn and went through the lights

if anyone knows the area, it's the bit where you come form the plane crossing area round the left hand bend and the traffic lights that go ahead and right onto the bath road junction
went to court, i prooved that i wasn't at work that day so couldn't have possibly been driving the bus

Interestingly blue light drivers view red lights as a give way line so jumping red lights isnt necessarily dangerous in all circumstances.
from my house, there is about a 300 yard drive to the main dual carriageway, then i do a left and it's half a mile or so to the hospital, with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 sets of lights along the way
if you time it right you can boot it away from one and go through the next 3 afterwards as well with them all on green

unfortunatly, they were all on red and i went through the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th sets when they were red

WTF was he on drugs or something??
i was in the 3 door and it was a bit louder as i'd just had something done to it, can't rememebr what but it was clackety as i was coming up the road
i stopped at the zebra crossing and as i pulled away the copper who was walking down the road with his back to me turned around, jumped into the middle of the road with his hand up and stood as if he was trying to push something with one hand

then he did my old dear for not wearing a seatbelt
Old 20-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord

You are making yourself sound stupid mate. Even more so when you keep making the other guy repeat himself!!

The speed limit is 70mph, im sure ade, who seems a pretty sensible guy knows this. He was exceding the LEGAL LIMIT by 50mph, it is illegal and he knew it - thus he needs to hold his hands up to the punishment, no matter how unjust you feel it is, the law is the law, sometimes we disagree with it but it changes fuck all.

I see your point that 120mph isnt necessarily a dangerous speed, but at 120mph it is going to take over 500feet to come to a hault - At 70mph its more like 300feet.

Im not preaching about the rights and wrongs of doing 120mph, just that the law was broken and he will unfortunately be punished accordingly.
Old 20-10-2008, 08:50 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by maria
I was caught doing 126mph late at night on a deserted dual carraigeway, I got a 28 day ban and a Ł550 fine

Without wanting to sound sexiest, i wonder if a man would get the same?

IIRC i got 14 days ban (which i prefered than points, would have been banned on totting up) for 69.6 on a dual carriageway at night empty fine conditions etc.
Old 20-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
IIRC i got 14 days ban (which i prefered than points, would have been banned on totting up) for 69.6 on a dual carriageway at night empty fine conditions etc.
I'd have argued that one! You got banned for doing .4mph UNDER the speed limit?

What were you driving?
Old 20-10-2008, 08:57 PM
RickyLee53

Originally Posted by Stoo

What were you driving?
89.6mph.

I had a sollicitor also.
Old 20-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
89.6mph.

I had a sollicitor also.
Ah! that makes more sence. I was worried that I've been unknowingly speeding every day lol
Old 20-10-2008, 09:11 PM
mark r

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default speeding on a127

got caught about ten yrs ago on A127 coming home from southend doing average 103 .Got banned for 1 week and 180 pound fine.was self employed at the time,told courts that i needed my licence otherwise i could'lt work without it.
Old 20-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I obviously knew it was possible...... but I don't believe what I did deserves any punishment at all let alone a ban
But hey, the law's the law etc so I'll get what I get

Cheers for the support too Dan .....and don't worry I won't be out of action, already sorted out how I'll be chauffeured to jobs when the time comes! Just have to cut down on the spur of the moment roadtrips for a bit though

Last edited by Ade; 20-10-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 21-10-2008, 07:54 AM
vibrating_cake
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

When i got caught speeding in my transit van last year i was told i was averaging well over 90mph over a 1 mile stretch.Due to the weight of my van i can only do 60mph on a duel carriageway and 27mph over the limit constitutes an instant ban.The copper said he was doing me a favour and just did me for 86mph but he could have had me banned.Then got caught 4 months later at 99mph got 5 points and a Ł230 pound fine.So basically 27mph over any limit can mean a ban

if they do that and say you're getting done for 86 instead of the proven speed you can go to court and claim false accusations and incorrect calibration of instruments and a copper lieing on the day, therefore evidence from that coppers mouth to the court can/could be a lie against you and how is word of mouth worth a ban/fine!
little loophole for you, if the copper changes the speed on the side of the road, even though he might be being "nice" you can fight back and generally it comes out without a speeding fine, or a further reduced fine/points
Old 21-10-2008, 08:56 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Coldo
You are making yourself sound stupid mate. Even more so when you keep making the other guy repeat himself!!
That's because we're arguing different points.

Yes he's going to get what's coming to him because that is the law. BUT I personally don't think he deserves it. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm entitled to have an opinion that differs from the law of the land if I so wish.

JamboRST failed (or I failed to make it clear) that I was contesting the 'deserve' bit, not the legality bit.
Old 21-10-2008, 08:56 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Coldo
That's because we're arguing different points.

Yes he's going to get what's coming to him because that is the law. BUT I personally don't think he deserves it. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm entitled to have an opinion that differs from the law of the land if I so wish.

JamboRST failed to grasp (or I failed to make it clear) that I was contesting the 'deserve' bit, not the legality bit.
Old 21-10-2008, 01:12 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoo

What were you driving?
or 9.6mph over the limit if no central reservation
Old 21-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ade
A week? I could live with that!
Did you use a lawyer?
No lawyer - a strong letter explaining said mitigating circumstances though
Old 21-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
No lawyer - a strong letter explaining said mitigating circumstances though

As the lovely Dave states my mate and I wrote a very well put letter that was very apologetic. Something about the road being empty, car hardly ever driven, just 'testing' new parts etc. The bext bit was the ban was from Christmas Eve to New Years Eve. No driving over the festive period... I can handle that. TAXIII!
Old 21-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

LMAO @ only banned over the festive period.

You legend! What a result!