General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Caught@120 on a 70 limit Scottish motorway

Search this Thread

Old 19-10-2008, 08:18 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JamboRST
afraid it is deserved
i know ade but still doesnt take away the fact that he was exceedin the limit by a good bit,u take the risk,we all do,u know the law,u break it,u deserve what u get
say he hit a member of ur family travellin on that road,what would u say he deserved for that,fine and points,didny think so

if i got caught doin that speed id deserve all thats cumin to me,simply because the speed limit if 70mph

Why would he hit a member of my family travelling along a deserted Scottish motorway? The "oooh think of the kids" argument has no relevance here. He wasn't speeding in a built up area, or anywhere dangerous. It's a UK motorway, which is statistically one of the safest roads in the world. It was NOT deserved, as it was in no way dangerous.

He would have deserved it if it was speeding somewhere dangerous, but the very nature of motorways makes them intrinsically 'safe' places to exceed 70mph.

You simply cannot judge safe driving in MPH. Sometimes 15mph is very dangerous, sometimes 150mph is not. It's a question of circumstance, and only the blinkered, the foolish and the downright stupid believe that you can judge the severity of a situation purely based on mph.

Sure he knew the law, and knew what would happen if he got busted. He will get punished, but the punishment will waaaaayyy exceed the crime, and THAT is why it's not deserved.
Old 19-10-2008, 08:18 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

afraid it is deserved
i know ade but still doesnt take away the fact that he was exceedin the limit by a good bit,u take the risk,we all do,u know the law,u break it,u deserve what u get
say he hit a member of ur family travellin on that road,what would u say he deserved for that,fine and points,didny think so

if i got caught doin that speed id deserve all thats cumin to me,simply because the speed limit if 70mph

also if this was a post sayin someone just killed a member of someones family thru speeding u would be wantin him castrated
agreeed. everyone knows the laws/limits/punishments and if you choose to play the odds you have a fair chance of losing. such is life. anything could happen, a momentary lapse whilst changing a cd and your into the rear end of someone pottering along at 60. a blow out as your passing a bus full of nuns taking the local orphans on the annual day outing... most scottish motorways are only 2 lanes wide as well so its more likely youll come up behind someone travelling much slower than yourself.

Last edited by fuzzy; 19-10-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 19-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

What about standards of the roads??? I know over here there are some motorway corners that are "interesting" at 120mph so id imagine theyd be lethal above that! Not to mention some of the bumps are just rediculous for 30mph roads let alone 70mph motorways.

Fuzzy you seem to know everything about getting banned/points etc, what shows on your license for a medical revocation?? and also once i get license back do i need inform insurer i had licence revoked?? (my logic is if i have the license back, then im as safe as anyone else according to DVLA so why should i pay more insurance?).
Old 19-10-2008, 08:31 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

i only know about bans for speeding,no insurance, dangerous driving, running police of the road and driving whilst disqualified. i dont know anything about medical grounds im afraid.
Old 19-10-2008, 08:52 PM
westus1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i only know about bans for speeding,no insurance, dangerous driving, running police of the road and driving whilst disqualified. i dont know anything about medical grounds im afraid.
no wonder you got a 4 year ban if you've done all that
hope it wasn't all at the same time
Old 19-10-2008, 09:00 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by westus1
no wonder you got a 4 year ban if you've done all that
hope it wasn't all at the same time
im afraid it was. i got two 4 year bans running concurrently
that was in my crazy youth though. i dont do stuff like that anymore now im older and wiser.
Old 19-10-2008, 09:01 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't post that and not tell us the WHOLE story? ...Get typing
Old 19-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

fuzzy!!! were you ever on police camera action???
Old 19-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raz.
120mph is enough for a ban. The only thing I can say is that you're a muppet and if you get a ban, it is well deserved.
Says the learner driver who's never driven on a motorway

Originally Posted by col cos1
ade my mate just got 4 points and Ł80 fine for 107mph in a 70

and he works on rigs Ł5500 a month wages

im sure hes a grass lol
He must be!! Did he use a lawyer..... get off on loopholes or something?

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Ade you plonker!! As one of your 'employers' i can write you a letter if it helps reduce the ban.

In my experience (after being stitched by the police) NEVER to say anything to them unless it's through a brief. EVERY word you say can, and will be turned on you. Even apologising infers that you knew it was very wrong and goes against you.

Fingers crossed for a short ban and fine mate.
Cheers Dan! That might actually be a good idea..... although might be an idea to just sign it saying you're from Future Publishing rather than 'Fast Ford' given the charge and car I was caught in....

Originally Posted by RSTurboSI
i was doing 136 on a Dual with a 70Mph speed limit, He followed me Untill there was a Layby and at that point Grab'ed Me chucked me into the back of his T5 that struggled to catch me and not relising he was behind and said. We know full well you didnt see me but we also noticed a change of speed back to the normal 70 mph and wasnt driving like a boy racer. so i got a massive Shouting at and told to grow up as im being a little twat as he said and got me on the way

No ticket or fine or points just a big ass telling off. now i dont be a prick and keep my speed down
Had my fair share of those experiences since I got my licence..... inevitable that they would run out in the end! 13 years is pretty good going though I think at least!

why is 155+ safe in the deristricted zones of the autobahn but not on our motorways when were all part of one big happy european family?
Totally agree... there's plenty of sections of UK motorway where Autobahn speeds would be perfectly safe..... just a shame that the Police usually feel the need to clamp down on these areas far more than areas where excessive speed actually is dangerous!
Camera vans etc always are on the long straights etc.... where's the sense in that?! Surely if anywhere they should be on the twisty bits, or the bits with bad surfaces etc...?

afraid it is deserved

also if this was a post sayin someone just killed a member of someones family thru speeding u would be wantin him castrated
I don't remember you're attitude being like that when that video of you racing the your old RST against an Escos past the Showcase was made a couple of years ago....

Why would he hit a member of my family travelling along a deserted Scottish motorway? The "oooh think of the kids" argument has no relevance here. He wasn't speeding in a built up area, or anywhere dangerous. It's a UK motorway, which is statistically one of the safest roads in the world. It was NOT deserved, as it was in no way dangerous.

He would have deserved it if it was speeding somewhere dangerous, but the very nature of motorways makes them intrinsically 'safe' places to exceed 70mph.

You simply cannot judge safe driving in MPH. Sometimes 15mph is very dangerous, sometimes 150mph is not. It's a question of circumstance, and only the blinkered, the foolish and the downright stupid believe that you can judge the severity of a situation purely based on mph.

Sure he knew the law, and knew what would happen if he got busted. He will get punished, but the punishment will waaaaayyy exceed the crime, and THAT is why it's not deserved.
Read my mind....

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
What about standards of the roads??? I know over here there are some motorway corners that are "interesting" at 120mph so id imagine theyd be lethal above that! Not to mention some of the bumps are just rediculous for 30mph roads let alone 70mph motorways.
Yeah very true, I know that road very well...... on some earlier parts there are attrocious bumps but as usual the cops were Policing the section that is totally straight with a perfect surface!

PMSL
Old 19-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

JamboRST ive seen you at well over that more times than i care to remember. He was on a deserted motorway...
Old 19-10-2008, 10:50 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bullshit mate
there could be anyone broken down on the motorway in any lane,what chance does he have at that speed,he was speeding by 50mph over the limit,he got caught,he deserves the punishment end of
Old 19-10-2008, 10:56 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

ollie and ade

and id have deserved what i got if i got caught

facts are ur speeding and got caught,u know the law,so how can u not deserve ur punishment
maybe at 80/90 tops id say its least deserved but at 120 im afraid ur gettin the book flung at ye,deserted road or not

Last edited by JamboRS; 19-10-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 19-10-2008, 10:58 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

ollie and ade

and id have deserved what i got if i got caught
You are ace ... You going to walk on water for your next trick?
Old 19-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

bullshit mate
there could be anyone broken down on the motorway in any lane
By that reckoning then we shouldnt be allowed to do over 40mph on motorways as id like to see you stop in time for a broken down car with no lights in the outside lane on a dark night!!!

Get some f'ing perspective.
Old 19-10-2008, 11:06 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
By that reckoning then we shouldnt be allowed to do over 40mph on motorways as id like to see you stop in time for a broken down car with no lights in the outside lane on a dark night!!!

Get some f'ing perspective.
ok maybe not the best example but fuk sake wit is it with place,if there was a post about sum guy killin people on a motorway due to excessive speed then the pf bandwagon would be bayi for blood
Old 19-10-2008, 11:06 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
You are ace ... You going to walk on water for your next trick?
that ur attempt at sarcasm,show us ur cock that will make us laugh
Old 19-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

your portraying the risk way out of proportion with reality. If we all took NO risks then we wouldnt drive!!!
Old 19-10-2008, 11:08 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

that ur attempt at sarcasm,show us ur cock that will make us laugh
Ooohhhh sombodys tired, chill out man!
Old 19-10-2008, 11:10 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

and just for ade
ade i know u and ur a humble quiet guy but like id say to even ma best mate,u take the risk u deserve the consenquences
Old 19-10-2008, 11:13 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Ooohhhh sombodys tired, chill out man!
no me mate,im a nightowl
that was my attempt at sarcasm,was as poor as yours
lack of smileys made it look snappy(howd u work these things)
plus its gettin my post count up lol
Old 19-10-2008, 11:16 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

OK, but here is a question for you, what is more dangerous? 120MPH on a deserted motorway, or 40 in a 30 zone with parked cars, lots of pedestrians/kids/dogs etc?

Speed is not dangerous, bad driving is fucking dangerous. The two things are not the same.
Old 19-10-2008, 11:21 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

OK, but here is a question for you, what is more dangerous? 120MPH on a deserted motorway, or 40 in a 30 zone with parked cars, lots of pedestrians/kids/dogs etc?

Speed is not dangerous, bad driving is fucking dangerous. The two things are not the same.
agree mate,even 30 in a 30 with parked cars can still be dangerous,thats not my point,im not sayin what ade did was dangerous,as im sure ades quiet capable driver at they speeds,its what the police/court potray what he did and we know what there like.
ive drivin fast,and will drive above the limit in the future,but when i get caught ill deserve my punishment
to say he doesnt deserve it cos we know him or is one of the lads then its just ignorance
now if he gets a life sentence in jail then ill say he doesnt deserve that but a fine/points or ban is deserved in my book
whether its ade,my brother or anyone for that matter

what does everyone think he deserves then,let off?

Last edited by JamboRS; 19-10-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 19-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

and just for ade
ade i know u and ur a humble quiet guy but like id say to even ma best mate,u take the risk u deserve the consenquences
Know what you mean, but it doesn't mean we have to agree with the consequences.......
....and if you don't agree with them I say you're best to try and minimise them, or even avoid them if possible.
Old 19-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Hockney

ive drivin fast,and will drive above the limit in the future
I'm taking you off the insurance on my Evo if thats the case

Old 19-10-2008, 11:42 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by Ade
Know what you mean, but it doesn't mean we have to agree with the consequences.......
....and if you don't agree with them I say you're best to try and minimise them, or even avoid them if possible.
i maybe made my earlier comment out to look like i was sayin it in a bad way or gettin at u,i wasnt
if it was my own family tellin me theyd been caught speedin then id say to them same im sayin to you,you deserve it
obv we're all goin to try and minimise the consequences,i would be the same
Old 19-10-2008, 11:45 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Originally Posted by Hockney
I'm taking you off the insurance on my Evo if thats the case

listen to it
u got caught twice and deserved it lol
Old 20-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STUCOS
Scottish law is diffrent to enlish law,classed as dangeroud up here,at least 1 yrs ban and dangerous carry's a mandatory re sit of you driving test,i know ive been there

cheeRS stu
If it goes through as dangerous driving, thats a minimum of a 1 year ban, with an extended retest, so pretty fucking harsh considering what you were doing was FAR less dangerous than just driving through a town centre at 30mph in terms of your chance of injuring anyone or killing a small child etc.

Utterly ridiculous to define it as dangerous just for doing that sort of speed given the conditions IMHO
Old 20-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ade you plonker!! As one of your 'employers' i can write you a letter if it helps reduce the ban.

In my experience (after being stitched by the police) NEVER to say anything to them unless it's through a brief. EVERY word you say can, and will be turned on you. Even apologising infers that you knew it was very wrong and goes against you.

Fingers crossed for a short ban and fine mate.

If its classed as dangerous as per the above posts, he'll get a year anyway, kind offer though
Old 20-10-2008, 12:12 AM
adie_mwell
Regular Contributor

me and my mate got caught over hamilton dual carriagway with them in the undercover 5 series silver we got dun wif dangerous driving they cloked us at speeds in excess of 110mph we got the charged dropd to carless driving because the condition wer good ad visible with no other traffic i never had any points a got a resit and 7 points and a 400quid fine ma mate had 6 points and got banned for 6 months and a 400quid fine
Old 20-10-2008, 02:03 AM
choked-up
Virgin

That raz one has jumped over from the mini forum as a trainee cop, full of self-righteous types that forum. Has had more crashes in her mini than their are hookers in Amsterdam
Old 20-10-2008, 05:55 AM
coco16i

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shit news Ade, especially as you need your licence for your work, no more travelling up to the Highlands for bits for your Mk3 for a while !!!!

3 year ago i got caught doing 111 on my bike on the A96 near Dalwhinnie, was originally charged with dangerous driving and solicitor told me to expect a possible 12 month ban and resit of driving test as well as a monster fine.

Plead guilty at first opportunity ( they had it all on video so pointless trying to fight it ) and got a 2 month ban and Ł350 fine so got off lighter than was expecting too ! It all depends on the judge on the day really, as well as all the mitigating factors like type of road you were on, weather conditions and visibility etc, also any previous convictions get frowned upon and taken into consideration when working out a sentence.

The 2 month off the road soon went past for me anyway and was just a pain having to get my wife to run me to work every day ! My insurance doubled as well after that !!!!
Old 20-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Rs Adz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

really gutted for u mate hope they let u off i no how u ifeel ve been there my self
Old 20-10-2008, 10:20 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

plenty of people here who have been caught doing silly speeds, me included, but it all depends on the copper who was coppering that day who caught you

i've outrun the police helicopter while it was chasing another car along the M25, now, i don't know if it would have caught me, or i outran it, or if it was just sitting on the tail of the audi and missed me altogether, but the copper pulled me over and said if the opter had caught me i'd be in trouble and to be on my way

considering that on certain parts of the journey i'd been doing well in excess of double the motorway limits i thoguht i was going to be walking form there

but in all my encounters with the constabulary when it comes to vehicl related offences (i even got done for dangerous driving in a bus for overtaking a copper who was parked up on the side of the road and went to court for it) once it goes to court, you are in trouble

i've also been done for going through red lights and speeding like a loon when i took my boy to hospital one might when he had his nut allergy flare up, i told the copper that i was driving within the capabilities of the car and the road conditions when he stopped behind me at a+e and he was fine about it, considering it was midnight and there was no traffic about and i was signaling etc

i've also been stopped by a copper for "making excess noise from under my bonnet" when he stepped out off the pavement with his arm up

and been stopped for joining the ring road in watford too fast from a side road (saw the gap, pulled out, floored it)

it really does depend first on teh copper who's pulled you over and what their mindset is, if they are going to fuck you over then it's pointless arguing

and if you are doing 50 mph over the limit and they are going to fuck you, then just get it over and done with and find a way to reduce the length of the ban rather than fight the good fight and claim it's unfair and disproportionate to the heniuosness of the crime
Old 20-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Seademon
Regular Contributor

I got 2 week ban, Ł200 fine for doing 105mph so not too sad really
Old 20-10-2008, 12:42 PM
boost
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Ade
Did you use a lawyer?

If so who was it and how much roughly am I looking at for costs?
No, did not use a lawyer, could not justify the cost as I knew it was going to be a ban.

I gave my version of events on the forms they sent me.
Old 20-10-2008, 12:52 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

bullshit mate
there could be anyone broken down on the motorway in any lane,what chance does he have at that speed,he was speeding by 50mph over the limit,he got caught,he deserves the punishment end of
What? What kind of twisted argument is that? In 16 years of driving I've never seen a car 'parked' on the motorway. And even at speed he'd have time to react and steer around an obstacle - It was 120, not 160!

He does not deserve the punishment he will get, and have you honestly never driven that fast?
Old 20-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by dojj
(i even got done for dangerous driving in a bus for overtaking a copper who was parked up on the side of the road and went to court for it)
WTF!! how did you get dangerous driving??? did you side swipe an oncoming vehicle or something?? or was the copper just being a cock? what did he expect you to do, park up and wait 20 minutes till he moves on

i've also been done for going through red lights and speeding like a loon when i took my boy to hospital one might when he had his nut allergy flare up, i told the copper that i was driving within the capabilities of the car and the road conditions when he stopped behind me at a+e and he was fine about it, considering it was midnight and there was no traffic about and i was signaling etc
Interestingly blue light drivers view red lights as a give way line so jumping red lights isnt necessarily dangerous in all circumstances.

i've also been stopped by a copper for "making excess noise from under my bonnet" when he stepped out off the pavement with his arm up
WTF was he on drugs or something??
Old 20-10-2008, 03:51 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he used a lawyer adrian thats all i know
Old 20-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Abe, I got caught exactly the same way in exactly the same place doing 107. Got a one week ban and a 150 quid fine. It's all about the mitigating circumstances.
Old 20-10-2008, 04:56 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

What? What kind of twisted argument is that? In 16 years of driving I've never seen a car 'parked' on the motorway. And even at speed he'd have time to react and steer around an obstacle - It was 120, not 160!

He does not deserve the punishment he will get, and have you honestly never driven that fast?
read the rest of my posts before spoutin shite please
maybe not best example to use but end of the day,speed limit is 70mph,he was doing 120,he took the risk got caught so deserves his punishment
tryin to use work commitments and excuses to worm out of it wont wash,if it means that much u dont speed simple
as my earlier post that u obviously didnt see,yes i have exceeded the limit and will do so in the future but if and when im caught il deserve to get punished cos i know the law

ive never seen a parked car either on any motorway,doesnt mean it doesnt happen,never seen a million quid,does that mean its not real
if ade gets 2 life sentences or gets hung then ill maybe say he doesnt deserve that lol

but he'll prob get couple of hundred quid fine and points,maybe a ban,but id bet in the future he'll drive over the limit again,will he not deserve that either if he's caught

anyway im had enuff repeatin myself,end of day im not the one he needs to convince

Quick Reply: Caught@120 on a 70 limit Scottish motorway