General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cossie abs not working...TYPICAL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 10:22 PM
moonstone_cossie
Regular Contributor

Default Cossie abs not working...TYPICAL!

ok i have a 2wd saph cosworth and the abs isnt workin so she failed mot for it. but im not sure what it is.

the brakes work fine when normal driving but the light is on. the only time it afects me is when you are slowin down to a say a junction and when you hit about 10mph the abs kicks the pedal back as if she is skidding! but when she gets to about 3mph she fixes herself again and it does it eveytime! havent really looked at as it wasnt a problem cause i ran the car without the abs pluged in but now for mot it has to work so i need it fixed!

also when stoped on street and the light is off. if you stamp on the pedal the abs light comes on aswell as the hand brake light! but goes off as soon as it flashes!??

any help at all will be very much appricated!

thanks
matty
Old 07-10-2008 | 10:34 PM
davy 6457
Part of the Furniture

take your sensors out and clean them sounds like one cant get a reading
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:33 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you ran it with the abs unplugged ? i get mithered if the light comes on on mine,which it does sometimes.my mate had the arse end lock up on him in his whilst the light was on so i don't think i would be tempted to run it unplugged.has it not caused you any problems ??
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:04 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I would also check the sensors and clean the rings.
The abs warning light comes on to indicate either a partial or full malfaunction of the abs circuit though you still have full assistance.
tabetha
Old 08-10-2008 | 08:06 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of removing my ABS and if anybody has any idea about what's involved in doing this, let me know.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 08-10-2008 | 09:23 AM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

The car does NOT need ABS working to pass the MOT.
As long as the warning light works is all it needs.
ie if when you switch your ignition on it the warning light lights for 5 secs or whatever time it is meant to (there are official times from the manufacturer that they can test to) and then goes out, that means the warning circuit is ok and that is all they test.
Got caught on one of mine years ago lol, stripped all my clocks out to get to the warning lamps cos they was on all the time, unplugged them and thought I was being clever lol, MOT man failed it and explained the above to me, so all I did was plug em back in and took it back and it passed .

Steve
Old 08-10-2008 | 10:57 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Or you could fix it and actually have ABS like you paid for

It sounds like you have two problems there, not just one.

The false detection of a lock indicates some problem with a wheel sensor. You need to check them for resistance at the very least. The ABS system compares the rate of deceleration between 3 channels (two front, one rear) and releases the caliper of the locking wheel(s), and reapplies pressure.

The red light coming on when you stamp on the pedal indicates some sort of hydraulic pressure issue, which could be an airlock, low fluid level or a faulty pressure/level switch. We'll fix it

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of removing my ABS and if anybody has any idea about what's involved in doing this, let me know.

Thanks,

Charlie
Put a switch in one of the lines for the 2 pin level switch - that'll turn it off and on whenever you want.
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:29 AM
O.K.C
Eruption 101.3fm

When the light comes on....

Drop the ABS loom bracket down and bridge the two main pins (from the back) of the brown relay while the relay is still in the holder, this will cause the pump to come on and stay on untill you remove the piece of wire you bridged it with.

Does the light then go off while bridged?
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:37 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by Eruptionfm@hotmail.co.uk
When the light comes on....

Drop the ABS loom bracket down and bridge the two main pins (from the back) of the brown relay while the relay is still in the holder, this will cause the pump to come on and stay on untill you remove the piece of wire you bridged it with.

Does the light then go off while bridged?
By the sound of it his pump is working fine - the hydraulic assistance is still there, just the antilock is starting unnecessarily which is most likely a sensor as the ABS ECU is calibrated not to provide antilock below 10 or 5 mph (I forget which), otherwise it'd rumble its nuts off every time you come to a stop.

Last edited by cozmeister; 08-10-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:49 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by cozmeister
Or you could fix it and actually have ABS like you paid for

Put a switch in one of the lines for the 2 pin level switch - that'll turn it off and on whenever you want.
Thanks. What I am thinking about is removing the whole lot - sensors, wires, ABS block, etc.

Charlie
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:19 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Thanks. What I am thinking about is removing the whole lot - sensors, wires, ABS block, etc.

Charlie

Depends if you want to keep the hydraulic assistance, as I'd personally have that over a standard servo any day. It should be straight forward to strip the loom, valve block and swap to a 'manual' servo.
Old 09-10-2008 | 10:08 PM
moonstone_cossie
Regular Contributor

thanks for the tons of replys!! i must get a wee look tomorrow at cleaning the senors etc. and i have had no problems running her with the abs off! just have to be carefull cause the 6pots in the wet like to lock up lol
Old 09-10-2008 | 10:10 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had thios it was one of the fuses in the passenger footwell had cracked, the fuse looked fine, replaced both and all was good.

Its a scary feeling when that pedel pushes back then seems to go hard and brakes always seem to bite at different points