General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Under Floor Heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Floor Heating

As above guy's who's got it and who's fitted it,is itof high electric consumption

cheeRS stu
Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 PM
G420 DEL
Advanced PassionFord User

my sister has under floor in her conservatory,,, left it on over christmas last year so her cat would stay warm.... yes her cat..

had it up to 32 degres for a month or two

bill was around a grand lol

said she didnt think it would be expensive...... idiot
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id only really use the electric one in a bathroom or sumthing under a tiled floor but if its for the whole house it would be better to get the water stuff.and would be much cheaper in long run.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ust done a huge barn conversion and that had full Osma underfloor heating.......All thermostatically controlled and not that expensive to run tbh.....
Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by TIFF
I have ust done a huge barn conversion and that had full Osma underfloor heating.......All thermostatically controlled and not that expensive to run tbh.....
are the osma not water heated systems?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Daviet

Yes they are mate...........................and very good systems too
Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by TIFF
Daviet

Yes they are mate...........................and very good systems too
that they are and alot cheaper to run than the electric ones.
but the electric ones are alot cheaper to buy. only a few hundred for a room i think.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just a small bath room mate,so wouldnt be on all the time

cheeRS stu
Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

is it of high electric consumption? well, you buy a kit based on how many Watts it consumes according to the room size. what you don't know is how often it will be on consuming that amount.

i will be fitting it in my bathroom. i know that i should have a qualified electrician wire it in, but i want to do all the prep work in advance. where would it be wired in to, as obviously you don't have a ring main in the bathroom? just tap in to the one in the room next door i presume (the upstairs circuit)?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by Daviet
that they are and alot cheaper to run than the electric ones.
but the electric ones are alot cheaper to buy. only a few hundred for a room i think.
If you run a wet system underfloor in say the bathroom.....and just come off the flow and returns from the heating system, it wont be that expensive to buy.........
Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Turboboy67
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Tiff, in my experiance Osma is THE best underfloor wet system
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
GpA4x4
Part of the Furniture

Stu

Got a wet system here and it's easy on the pocket but nice and toasty in the winter.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by Turboboy67
Tiff, in my experiance Osma is THE best underfloor wet system
Thats why i fit Osma
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bro has it in all the rooms, even with a 5 bed place with two en suite b'rooms his bill is quite reasonable, think it's the wet system, thoughhis pad is one of these energy effecient places.
tabetha
Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 AM
3drpete
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Smile

ive been fitting rehau recently they seem to be ok done around 5 big schools in it.

its cheap to run as it runs alot lower temps than your radiators ive just put it in my dads conservatory off the main flow and return off the boiler as tiff says, i made my own recerculating valve fitted a 2 port valve, and stuck a separate pump and room stat on to it,
works a bloody treat and was alot cheaper than buying 1 off the branded manifolds
Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
is it of high electric consumption? well, you buy a kit based on how many Watts it consumes according to the room size. what you don't know is how often it will be on consuming that amount.

i will be fitting it in my bathroom. i know that i should have a qualified electrician wire it in, but i want to do all the prep work in advance. where would it be wired in to, as obviously you don't have a ring main in the bathroom? just tap in to the one in the room next door i presume (the upstairs circuit)?
yup mate feed it from upstairs socket circuit via an rcd spur if not fed from rcd in your distribution board already,put the control outside bathroom (seen em put inside!!!) and yes you do need a sparky that is part-p registered as it will be a notifiable job being in a bathroom

Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by sportvanman
yup mate feed it from upstairs socket circuit via an rcd spur if not fed from rcd in your distribution board already,put the control outside bathroom (seen em put inside!!!) and yes you do need a sparky that is part-p registered as it will be a notifiable job being in a bathroom

thanks matey whole house is on rcds from the distribution board, so that's easy.

but ideally i would like the controller to be in the bathroom as well. we have a separate 'airing' cupboard where i would like to it to be, maybe half way up the wall so there is no danger of water reaching it in the event of flooding or whatever. there are no water pipes or anything in that area and it is in zone 3 or even technically another room as it is behind a door (no difference between that area and the landing really, they're both separated from the bathroom by one door )

perhaps you would also be so kind as to advise me on the shaver socket. as that is low power, can it come from the lighting circuit, or should it also come from the upstairs socket circuit?

thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
thanks matey whole house is on rcds from the distribution board, so that's easy.

but ideally i would like the controller to be in the bathroom as well. we have a separate 'airing' cupboard where i would like to it to be, maybe half way up the wall so there is no danger of water reaching it in the event of flooding or whatever. there are no water pipes or anything in that area and it is in zone 3 or even technically another room as it is behind a door (no difference between that area and the landing really, they're both separated from the bathroom by one door )

perhaps you would also be so kind as to advise me on the shaver socket. as that is low power, can it come from the lighting circuit, or should it also come from the upstairs socket circuit?

thanks
control can go in airing cupboard if it is accessed by means of a tool or key,shaver socket can fed via lights but must also be via an rcd and double pole isolator as per new 17th regs,must also be no closer than 600mm to sink tap/taps,taking into account of zones(i see you are aware of them most arent),zone 3 now obsolete bud
to be honest ufh controls i install are fit and forget the only time i use it is to switch it off at start of summer and on at start of winter or to alter the time,as a result i put em out of the way but accessible

hope this helps

oh sorry for late reply was in pub last night....

daz
Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

thanks a lot daz very helpful