General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Todays F1 Grand prix is set to be a BELTER!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danneth

and had it rained like was predicted ( which mclaren held out for ) then no doubt lew would have won the race
TOTALLY.
Old 15-09-2008, 04:14 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and had it rained like was predicted ( which mclaren held out for ) then no doubt lew would have won the race
I really dont believe so. Had it rained hard. So therefore wet as saturday i think Vettel would have stayed out front.
Old 15-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I totally disagree!

I doubt very much he would have caught Vettel up mate.

Oh & Jay I support Man Utd you cooont
Old 15-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't they decide to bring Hamilton in early for a pit stop as Vettel was holding him up, when he had caught Vettel? (so the commentators said)
Had his one stop remained a one stop he could well have won it as he was 2nd at one point. Was that after his 1st pit stop or before?
Hamiltons tyres kept him behind Massa in the end as he used them up catching him at 2secs a lap then had nothing left to go past him.
Old 15-09-2008, 05:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Guy
Didn't they decide to bring Hamilton in early for a pit stop as Vettel was holding him up, when he had caught Vettel? (so the commentators said)
Had his one stop remained a one stop he could well have won it as he was 2nd at one point. Was that after his 1st pit stop or before?
Hamiltons tyres kept him behind Massa in the end as he used them up catching him at 2secs a lap then had nothing left to go past him.
so he thrashed his car to get to the point where he cuold use the performance but he couldn't because the car was fucked?

how does that make any sense to anyone?
Old 15-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by A J
I totally disagree!

dont do foolsball all i know they wear red but u get my drift?
Old 15-09-2008, 07:14 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A J
I totally disagree!

WTF he started 15th on the grid and was 1.7 seconds behind him when he had to pull off to change the wets

LMFAO your soo blinkered its unreal
Old 15-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by sbd16v
WTF he started 15th on the grid and was 1.7 seconds behind him when he had to pull off to change the wets

LMFAO your soo blinkered its unreal
Not blinkered at all, I seriously doubt Hamicock would have beaten Vettel IMO.

1.7 seconds is a fair gap in F1.
Old 15-09-2008, 07:39 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by A J
Not blinkered at all, I seriously doubt Hamicock would have beaten Vettel IMO.

1.7 seconds is a fair gap in F1.

he started 14 places behind him !! and got that DOWN to 1.7 seconds

and you think your not blinkered LMFAO

did you watch the same race
Old 15-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

So why didnt they leave him out to beat Vettel?

Oh yeah he neeeded to get wet's on

Which means he had no choice but to make a pit stop & therefore didnt beat Vettel - end of really..
Old 15-09-2008, 07:47 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by A J
So why didnt they leave him out to beat Vettel?

Oh yeah he neeeded to get wet's on

Which means he had no choice but to make a pit stop & therefore didnt beat Vettel - end of really..
blinkered fool

they bought him in because he was on the wrong tyres
Old 15-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by sbd16v
blinkered fool
ROFLMAO
Old 15-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
Im not sure what happened to Kimi this year, im not aware if this years short wheelbase Ferrari is not to his liking at all, or if he find lack of traction control an issue, but he most certainly is not driving in a manner which he is capable off, I just think its really odd how his form has dipped so much

i truely dont understand kimi this year. i dont get how he is so off pace for most of the race then all of a sudden its like he sobers up and then he is on the pace of the front man.
its messed up.
Old 15-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Bullett
i truely dont understand kimi this year. i dont get how he is so off pace for most of the race then all of a sudden its like he sobers up and then he is on the pace of the front man.
its messed up.
Yeah I dont know whats going on with him, it's a shame really as it would have been good for him to win it again oh well I guess Massa will have to try & get it done instead
Old 15-09-2008, 08:03 PM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i still stand by my statement if you are all so patriotic you would support all the British drivers win lose or draw yet only Hamilton posts there fore the majority are glory hunters plain and simple its great to support and get behind Hamilton but take the blinkers off.
Old 15-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

although i do agree he was on it very very well i honestly dont think hewouldve taken vettel.it was sebs day and he did no wrong at all and i dont honestly think he couldve been beaten

im enjoying this year immensly and i hope its like this for a good few years to come.

ive been genuinely happy to see lewis win,robert win,seb win and was pleased to see trulli and glock up on the podium.its a great way for f1 to go and keeps us on our toes.and im a ferrari fan,but most of all im a fan of good racers!
Old 15-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RUBY123
i still stand by my statement if you are all so patriotic you would support all the British drivers win lose or draw yet only Hamilton posts there fore the majority are glory hunters plain and simple its great to support and get behind Hamilton but take the blinkers off.

i would love to see button up there.he is a good driver in a shit car.ive always liked dc as a bloke but thought he was too soft for too many years

but as i say i appriciate a good driver irrelevent of where they are from

i was a senna fan for as many years as i can remember.i liked mansell alot too but he wasnt to me what senna was
Old 15-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by RUBY123

im wondering how many are supporting that beckham fella at galaxy united ?
Old 16-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by Moonstone Kev
Quoted from Budwise "he has the ability to be the most successful F1 driver of all time, and that's not pushing it too far."

Not in a million years m8, he won't even get close to the great Michael Schumacher's records that he set
He's already setting records of his own as such its a statement that is yet to be supported.

However there are always going to be question regarding Michael Schumacher's records as he was not solely responsible for them, the fact his championship campaigns were by large supported by a driver who's role was to support him. A fact that has since been confirmed by both Barrichello and Irvine since leaves the question mark over how he would perform against other great drivers in the same car.
Other drivers in the past such as Senna and Prost could have won vastly more championships if they were not in the same team and had a driver in a supporting role.

His statistics are covered with much controversy and as such the only thing for certain is that nobody has ever wanted to win more than Schumi or done more to achieve this, possibly one of the greatest and the worse world champion the sport will ever see.

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 16-09-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 16-09-2008, 11:07 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just like coulthard supported Hakkinen even in the first round before.

Irvine and Barrichello never posed a threat throughout a whole season so were relegated to a supporting role. Just like Schumacher had to in 1999 to irvine.

You look back MSC won msot championships comprehensively winning the majority of races compared to his rivals.

Alonso hasnt done that, Nor did Kimi last year. nOr HAS Hamilton if he wins this year.
Old 16-09-2008, 12:19 PM
dojj

and don't forget that schumaker won some of his championships in contreversial style in much pooer machinery than his rivals
and when he got state of the art wheels he simply trounced the opposition

if lewis is struggling at the moment in the best car out there then he's got a little way to go before he starts getting on the coatails of the michael
Old 16-09-2008, 12:48 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
and don't forget that schumaker won some of his championships in contreversial style in much pooer machinery than his rivals

if lewis is struggling at the moment in the best car out there then he's got a little way to go before he starts getting on the coatails of the michael
+1 for sure!
Old 16-09-2008, 01:13 PM
FasterFords

why do people comment only telling half the story ?

Michael didn't win any races in his 1st year, and Lewis has and should of won the title, altough Kimi did a great job and had some bad luck.

Did Michael have to compete with a current world champion team mate in his first year.

How is Lewis struggling ? 15th to 2nd and what looked like an easy win if it had stayed wet.

How do you know he has the best car ? are you really Andrian Newey ?

We won't know how he will compare to drivers that arn't driving anymore, as everything else changes too, the cars, the teams etc etc.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:20 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by FasterFords
why do people comment only telling half the story ?

Michael didn't win any races in his 1st year, and Lewis has and should of won the title, altough Kimi did a great job and had some bad luck.

Did Michael have to compete with a current world champion team mate in his first year.

How is Lewis struggling ? 15th to 2nd and what looked like an easy win if it had stayed wet.

How do you know he has the best car ? are you really Andrian Newey ?

We won't know how he will compare to drivers that arn't driving anymore, as everything else changes too, the cars, the teams etc etc.

What are you on you clearly have little F1 knowledge, In michaels first full year he won the blegian grand prix.

In his first race he qualified 7th in a Jordan.

In the remaining races of 1991 he out classed his TRIPLE WORLD CHAMPION TEAM MATE in a benneton....

That was after leavign karting two years earlier compared with lewis' 6 years. Then lewis jumps in the best car. And still got run down to the wire by an unlucky Raikonnen
Old 16-09-2008, 01:28 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Bottom line is that Hamilton is a supremely talented driver.

He has single-handedly rekindled interest in a racing series that any true motorsport fan would admit was as boring as is humanly possible.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Mansell got the same level of stick, and everyone knows now just how good he was.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

In 1994, the Benetton B194 that went on to take Michael Schumacher to the Drivers’ Championship was found to be carrying launch control software – which was against the rules for the season. Benetton, having spent the vast sums of money to develop software and taken immense care to hide it from the FIA, swore that they had never used it that season and was ultimately not punished. The FIA declared that, while Benetton had the capacity and the equipment to cheat, they could not prove that they had in fact used the equipment (of course the mere presence of such equipment on the car was in fact illegal
A contentious collision between Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill ended the 1994 drivers' title in Schumacher's favour.

So in a car which broke the rules, and gained a massive advantage in fast starts which it was reknown for, he still had to crash it into Damon Hill to win the championship how can this be considered poorer machinery.

What cars do you consider to be poor machinery which he won the world championship in even with a number two in a support role, back up your statements with evidence.
You suggest that when he got state of the art equipment he simply trounced the opposition, yet when he got beat by Alonso as he defended his crown he had the car with the most powerful engine and fastest straight line speed.

The general opinion of Schumacher by drivers was seen when he parked his car at Monaco and everyone said he finally got what he deserved.

Simple question here, If Michael Schumacher was as good as you suggest why did he have to have a say regarding who his team mate was?
I have no doubt that its unlikely we will ever see another schumi as people such as Lewis, Kimi, Vettel, Kubica do not care who their team mate is or require their support as such stats will never be as one sided again.

"There are two things that set Michael apart from the rest of the drivers in Formula One - his sheer talent and his attitude. "I am full of admiration for the former, but the latter leaves me cold."

ps: your lacking facts again
Old 16-09-2008, 01:45 PM
FasterFords

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
What are you on you clearly have little F1 knowledge, In michaels first full year he won the blegian grand prix.

In his first race he qualified 7th in a Jordan.

In the remaining races of 1991 he out classed his TRIPLE WORLD CHAMPION TEAM MATE in a benneton....

That was after leavign karting two years earlier compared with lewis' 6 years. Then lewis jumps in the best car. And still got run down to the wire by an unlucky Raikonnen
What a knob

I've been following F1 since 1981

go back and read what I wrote properly,

IE , In his 1st year, not 1st full season ( and I know he qualified 7th at Spa, he also retired on the 1st lap due to clutch failure, he got the seat to replace Gachot who was in jail for spaying a cab driver in London with CS gas )

was the triple world champion current or just about to retire.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:47 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

In 1994, the Benetton B194 that went on to take Michael Schumacher to the Drivers’ Championship was found to be carrying launch control software – which was against the rules for the season. Benetton, having spent the vast sums of money to develop software and taken immense care to hide it from the FIA, swore that they had never used it that season and was ultimately not punished. The FIA declared that, while Benetton had the capacity and the equipment to cheat, they could not prove that they had in fact used the equipment (of course the mere presence of such equipment on the car was in fact illegal
A contentious collision between Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill ended the 1994 drivers' title in Schumacher's favour.

So in a car which broke the rules, and gained a massive advantage in fast starts which it was reknown for, he still had to crash it into Damon Hill to win the championship how can this be considered poorer machinery.

What cars do you consider to be poor machinery which he won the world championship in even with a number two in a support role, back up your statements with evidence.
You suggest that when he got state of the art equipment he simply trounced the opposition, yet when he got beat by Alonso as he defended his crown he had the car with the most powerful engine and fastest straight line speed.

The general opinion of Schumacher by drivers was seen when he parked his car at Monaco and everyone said he finally got what he deserved.

Simple question here, If Michael Schumacher was as good as you suggest why did he have to have a say regarding who his team mate was?
I have no doubt that its unlikely we will ever see another schumi as people such as Lewis, Kimi, Vettel, Kubica do not care who their team mate is or require their support as such stats will never be as one sided again.

"There are two things that set Michael apart from the rest of the drivers in Formula One - his sheer talent and his attitude. "I am full of admiration for the former, but the latter leaves me cold."

ps: your lacking facts again
The FIA did everything they could to take away 1994 from Schu,

He was banned from two races and disq from another 2. In effect he only partaked in 12 races and won 8 of them. Hill did 16 races and won 6. 1st one due to michaels car being stuck in 5th gear, 2nd he won fairly but schu was stripped of 2nd. 3rd one was because michael was DISQ from 1st and another two because michael wasnt even there.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:48 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What a knob

I've been following F1 since 1981

go back and read what I wrote properly,

IE , In his 1st year, not 1st full season ( and I know he qualified 7th at Spa, he also retired on the 1st lap due to clutch failure, he got the seat to replace Gachot who was in jail for spaying a cab driver in London with CS gas )

was the triple world champion current or just about to retire.
it wasnt a first YEAR was it. A handful of races.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

exactly
Old 16-09-2008, 02:12 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I don't like Hamilton! Why? Because he's part of a new generation of drivers who don't even know what normal life is. I doubt that he's ever worked in a 9 - 5 job. He got supported by so many influential people from a very young age that he'd have to be an absolute retard not to become a good driver.

That's also the reason why I mainly support one of the last "normal people" in F1, Timo Glock who used to work in his parents scaffolding business while trying to get his career on the way. People who worked their way through all by themselves. Same goes for Vettel who hasn't even got a manager.

Another thing that makes my blood boil is Hamilton's driving style. He's familiar to all the dirty tricks I always hated Schumacher for. No respect for other people on the track. Did you see how he forced Glock on the grass or how he pulled into Webber? At least Glock had the balls to say that there'll be payback time once a situation like that should come up again.

But it's not just Hamilton but basically most of his generation. Just watch a GP2 race and you see what I mean. In the early days of gentleman driving, people had to watch out for each other as they could actually die in a collision. Nowadays they think they're invincible.
Old 16-09-2008, 02:13 PM
FasterFords

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
it wasnt a first YEAR was it. A handful of races.
Sure, but it was still a YEAR later at Spa that he won, and that was a lucky win. (Yes I know thats racing)

I'm a big fan of Schumacher and was sad to see him retire, I just don't like people bending the facts.

Watching Lewis reminds me of when Schumacher was in the Benetton, sliding the car around and wringing its neck. Remember Hungaring in qualy when he spun 360 on the last corner and still set a better time than his team mate.
Old 16-09-2008, 02:39 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Bottom line is that Hamilton is a supremely talented driver.

He has single-handedly rekindled interest in a racing series that any true motorsport fan would admit was as boring as is humanly possible.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Mansell got the same level of stick, and everyone knows now just how good he was.

i don't think that talent is the doubt here, but he argueably is in the best car out there and should be walking away with the title

comparing him to schumaker isn't going to happen as he won't be racing him side by side as equal team mates so lets forgat about that for the moment and lets concentrate on the things you CAN compare him to

schumaker would do anything for the win, can't blame the guy for bending rules, but when hamilton does the same, he gets applauded rather than slated

is this because you can't call him a cheating german?

probably, although no one will ever admit to it in any position of power or authority so it's just left to us internet nerds to discuss

but you can't compare someone who was esential school to be an f1 driver by a big f1 team and hand picked to get into an f1 car after he's done everything there is to do to get to that level with someone who gets a drive and then is simply better than everyone else in a shit car

it's like schumaker going round the top gear track in the liana faster than the stig can in in an f1 car and then saying that the stig is the better driver, you can't

michael bends the rules "cheating german cunt" lewis bends the rules and it's "wow, thinking mans f1 driver"

to have such a one dimensional view of the sport is no good for anyone, especially lewis' head, his dad's head, maclarens ego or ron's "war against the fia"

if they did a round robin of cars so that the best cars go to the shittest drivers and the shitest cars go the best, then perhaps you can say he can pedal a car round the track better than anyone else, but look at the likes of coultard, barechello, alonso, button, etc, give them good cars and they are great, give them shit cars and they are shit, other than alnso, who's not as shit as the others are but he's not in such a shit car so it all makes sense
Old 16-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Sure, but it was still a YEAR later at Spa that he won, and that was a lucky win. (Yes I know thats racing)

I'm a big fan of Schumacher and was sad to see him retire, I just don't like people bending the facts.

Watching Lewis reminds me of when Schumacher was in the Benetton, sliding the car around and wringing its neck. Remember Hungaring in qualy when he spun 360 on the last corner and still set a better time than his team mate.
so true he can drive the wheels off a car BUT every spare hour like schuey with the mechanics learning how the car ticks rather than thinking his talent is that good he can just arrive and drive ,i to a big schuey fan !a 7 times world champion and in see the f1 grid living in his shadow for a few decades yet .the young man vettel probably broke the only record left unturned at the last race

Also what people arnt realising is there are other manufactures out on the grid who getting competetive the likes of bmw willput a stop to the maclaren ferrari dominense and could ruin any chance of them winning a title so hamilton needs to win this year ashe might not geta chance again
Old 16-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

schumaker would do anything for the win, can't blame the guy for bending rules, but when hamilton does the same, he gets applauded rather than slated

michael bends the rules "cheating german cunt" lewis bends the rules and it's "wow, thinking mans f1 driver"
Let be honest here, Michael never bent the rules, he broke them on a number of occasions.

one record he holds which is rarely publicised is the driver with the most incidents to have prompted a rule change. This shows his willingness to do anything to win, even if the action was outside of the rules or the spirit of them.

I was disappointed with Hamiltons move to Webber in the last grand prix as it was exceptionally harsh in the style of Schumi and this is the last thing I would personally want to see from him or any driver and would never applaud any driver who did such.
Old 16-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

I may like the guy, but even I wish he'd just shut up sometimes...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.a...43989&PO=43989
Old 16-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

I respect Hamilton's driving immensely. I think he is one of the most talented drivers for a good long time. (Only 3 on the current grid impress me! Alonso and Kimi the other 2)

But I dont like him. Hes got his head too far into the void. I understand why it happens though. Hes surrounded by people that are always telling him hes great. Shame, but I hope he gets some decent interpersonal skill training in the near future.
Old 17-09-2008, 09:04 AM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by Rich_w
I respect Hamilton's driving immensely. I think he is one of the most talented drivers for a good long time. (Only 3 on the current grid impress me! Alonso and Kimi the other 2)

But I dont like him. Hes got his head too far into the void. I understand why it happens though. Hes surrounded by people that are always telling him hes great. Shame, but I hope he gets some decent interpersonal skill training in the near future.
I do like him but see where your coming from.

Schumacher was a little prick to though and look where it got him.

I think his arrogance does help him on the track. The other drivers seem to be very itimidated by him.

Also, no one on the grid backed him in the decision the other week. Its like no one liking the cleverest guy in the class !!
Old 17-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I was disappointed with Hamiltons move to Webber in the last grand prix as it was exceptionally harsh in the style of Schumi and this is the last thing I would personally want to see from him or any driver and would never applaud any driver who did such.
It looked harsh to me at first... and I said to Maria... 'jesus he is a aggresive fucker!'

BUT as brundle pointed out he was simply following his line and because of the exceptionally poor visibility in a F1 car due to regulations and made worse by the conditions, he would have had no idea Webber was even there! (Webber got great traction and drive out of the chicane/bend after Lewis had just pissed past him)

I 1000% trust brundles views and calls on anything F1... he tells it how it is in my opinion.

Can't believe people try and run Lewis down. Guys an incredible talent and is making the very very very best of it!

bashing our sportsmen is such a british thing to do! Lewis would be a GOD to all men in other countries
Old 17-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Rich_w

TOTALLY disagree... look at the way he treats his mecahnics. Proper fella. I have heard from two TOTALLY seperate sourches who have met him and worked with him what a top bloke he is. I think he VERY well grounded as well compared with some sportsmen that are a million percent less successful than he is!

His UBER confidence can be seen as arrogance by some.. BUT I think that is a HUGE part of what makes him successful.

He thinks he is the best... and he drives like he is. he fears NOONE!

LOVE it.

Awesome to watch!

Last edited by Porkie; 17-09-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Todays F1 Grand prix is set to be a BELTER!!!!!!!