General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anybody had experience with their cat going walkabout?

Search this Thread

Old 14-09-2008, 09:29 AM
RAT8OY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody had experience with their cat going walkabout?

Hi there,

We currently have two cats, a 5 years old short hair female and a 1year old short hair male. the female has always been a home type cat but the male (Ernie) has always been a proper boy cat and is a real hunter always out playing in the fields behind our house. He sort of lives by his own rules and comes and goes throught the day and is rarely home at feeding time. He is a very affectionate cat and a real local charater. He has been spade.

We havnt seen him since we fed him on Thursday morning around 7a.m. and the whole family is absolutely devistated. Just wondering what peoples experiences are with cats going walkabout. Should we be worried or do people have cats like Ernie that turn up days later?

I dont think I can face any more door knocking and field searching.

We did have something very strange a month or two ago when he turned up with a coller on! I obviously removed this. He has been chipped and we have cotacted all the rescue centres and registered him on the chip website as lost. I wonder wether the coller people may have decided he is theirs and have him locked up somewhere.

Any advice will be great as we would love to see him back, to get him some dinner and sit him down for a stern talking to! The little toe rag!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how you feel, we love our cat and he has his patterns of where he is and when usually, so when he deviates from that pattern, you do tend to panic.

I imagine he is locked in somewhere, so well worth continuing te search. At least if he doesn't have a collar, he probably won't be caught on anything.

Stay positive, I'm sure he will turn up.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:34 AM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I know how you feel, we love our cat and he has his patterns of where he is and when usually, so when he deviates from that pattern, you do tend to panic.

I imagine he is locked in somewhere, so well worth continuing te search. At least if he doesn't have a collar, he probably won't be caught on anything.

Stay positive, I'm sure he will turn up.
Cheers man!

We are going to go door knocking again in a bit! Bet we will be popular on a Sunday morning!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:39 AM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

on o your garage assistant has gone missing!!!!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:43 AM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by gus
on o your garage assistant has gone missing!!!!
Exactley mate, me and him had been discussing the finer details of bladed antiroll bars just the other day!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:45 AM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i will be round to help look for him then

its obvious which one is the brains of the duo

so we best find him

goood luck, he probably been catnapped by someone
i seen my cat in other peoples houses
say my cat, he just walked in about 2 years ago and aint left yet
Old 14-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My other halfs cat goes missing for a while then rolls back in like nothings happened.

One of the neighbours was feeding it thinking it was a stray, even though he had a collar on with name, number, etc

The neighbour still keeps doing it even though she's been asked not to ...
Old 14-09-2008, 09:47 AM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

Are male went missing for 3 weeks then came back skinny as a stick.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Toms always wander, chances are he'll be in a shed or garage somewhere. You really need to get some notices made up and get posting.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:54 AM
spookie
PassionFord Regular

not to be heartless but i think thy may have deed.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:05 AM
RAT8OY

Thanks for all the comments. Just trying to contact my mate with a photocopier so we can start leaflet dropping.

I really hope he just wonders in but I must admit I dont think its good news!
Old 14-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spookie
thats it mate cheer him up !!!

anything else you would like to add,,,,,, maybe hes wifes cheating on him or he aint the father of hes child ??
Old 14-09-2008, 10:23 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

We had a cat go AWOL for 3 months!!

We spent countless hours searching for him, put up signs, knocked on doors, and looked and looked and looked.

It was made worse as we were in the process of moving house. We just thought he'd 'gone'.

Anyway, we moved, and asked the neighbour to keep an eye out, but didn't hold out much hope. We ended up buying another cat to keep the one we had company as he was really missing him.

3 months later, we got a call, and there he was. We took him back to the new house, and he ate loads, and slept for a couple of days, only waking to eat and shit. Within a week he was back to normal, went out, came back and it was as if nothing had happened.

God knows where he went. He'd lost weight, and had loads of ticks, but wasn't skinny. He used to come back with rats, mice and rabbits all the time, so he may have just 'gone native' and fended for himself.

The most annoying thing is we'll never know what happened.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:33 AM
mk3matt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

one of our cats done this, disapeared for a cuple of weeks. was odd cos it was really a house cat. but, it returned as if fak all had happened lol, i think a neighbor was feeding it, it smelt like it had been washed lol
Old 14-09-2008, 10:49 AM
RAT8OY

Cheers again peeps! The positive coments are great! I like the idea of him going native as I am more than sure he could look after himself. Just wish he could let me know he fancied a boys weekend and we shouldnt wait up for him!

The other cat Bruni thinks its great! I have never seen her so happy!
Old 14-09-2008, 10:53 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if hes not come back after a couple of days for food id reckon to hom being dead as well. mine always wander off but come back at food time
Old 14-09-2008, 10:57 AM
focuschivvy
Advanced PassionFord User

our tabby went missing for a few days. came back and had been bitten by a fox, sadly died of some infection thing is with cats they love to explore new things, but dont realise the trouble they can get themselves into, they aint got that instinct like us
Old 14-09-2008, 02:05 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

My male cat has many places that he goes and gets fed by the neighbors, he's a right cheeky cunt! Even gets found in peoples houses after letting himself in by the cat flap!
I think the fact yours came back with a collar on would suggest he has another place to go. If you find him put a collar on him.
Best of luck.
Old 14-09-2008, 02:15 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can, put some cat litter with his scent in it by the front door in a bowl / tub just in case he has misplaced his tom tom and can't get home. I'd imagine he's in a lock in at a boozer somewhere, or he may of gone to watch the Liverpool v Man utd game and is hitchiking home from Anfield

Mother in law's cat went missing for about a week when they got her, we searched everywhere, even evening walks around the local park hunting, put posters up and such and then she was found down the end of the road by a couple of lads who returned her
Old 14-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by spookie
Don't chat fucking shit. I've had cats all my life and and although I agree he could be dead. If that it was you meant, the chances are he isn't. I have had my older cat Blacky go missing lots of times for various reasons. In all the times she has gone missing she has been:

Gone into an empty house and it's then been bordered up. Unlucky.

She has no collar so a family took her in so once they released her after a few days she came back home.

Followed us on a walk sneakily so we wasn't aware of it and then panicked and stalled getting lost. She found her way home.

Here are some ways you can help find your cat. If you own a pedal bike you can ride around slowly on it calling the cats name, the cat will get the scent off the bike and if she is scared she remember safe times and come out.

In your case, if she spends all her time in the garage take something out of it she spends all her time on and drag it along the floor going from various places to your house, whilst calling her name.

She could of gone in many places, believe me the chances she is dead are slim. For all you know she could of chased a cat into shed and then knocked something down blocking her exit.

Sadly, on one occasion someone had locked mine into the airing cupboard of an empty house, on purpose. Most areas have a local cat rescue center, I know mine has two. I went to mine and they had a list of places where my cat could be, I checked and came up with no luck. Thankfully, the last time mine went missing she turned up on her own accord. That's how it mostly happens. The best part is, they come in like nothing has happened.

Your Local RSPCA will have contact details of all the local cat rescue centers. Remember, just don't phone the most local one as someone not local could of found it and not known of the most local one to you, so it could be chilling in a rescue center, but not the closest one.

But remember, their is obviously a small chance she is dead. But DO NOT give up hope and keep looking. I wish you all the best.

Benni.
Old 14-09-2008, 03:22 PM
hevangel

sorry to say but we had a cat that we thought had gone missing, didnt see her for days then i found her dead under the bush in our garden...but she was 18 and she had an operation a few months before.
im sure your cat will be fine.
i now have to cats called mickey and minnie we have some massive fields at the back of our house and they always go wondering into them. they always come back though.
best of luck finding your cat
Old 14-09-2008, 03:22 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

if you agree the cat could be dead hows he talking shit?
Old 14-09-2008, 03:23 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

you can have my cat if you want, im just waiting for the old scraggy fucker to die anyway as hes 18 and not long to go.
Old 14-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by fuzzy
if you agree the cat could be dead hows he talking shit?
It was the way he put it. At this stage I do not think it may be dead. It could but I don't think it is. I am going. I may of been a little nasty, but I don't like the thought of giving up.

Benni.
Old 14-09-2008, 05:10 PM
The Loumiester
ford whore

sometimes cats need to wondar and it can be days but if you have had your cat along time there is a 99.9% chance it will return unless there is a real cause. Just keep looking.
Old 14-09-2008, 05:27 PM
RAT8OY

Well Ernie has still not made an apearence!

Thanks again for all the positive comments and time taken to reply with some great advice! I will be out on my push bike later to try the scent thing.

I am trying to stay positive as we are all beside ourselves. Which sounds a bit over the top for what some would say is a Cat. There isnt much that bothers me in life and I never do soppy but he is without a doubt a true member of the family and I feel like ive lost a true mate!

My bet is he will turn up tomorrow morning just as stated above as if nothing has happened! Probably laughing at the fact the whole weekend was spent with people running round after him!
Old 14-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My parents cat went missing for over 2 weeks once. We thought the worst but then one day it was sitting waiting on them at the front door as if nothing had happened lol

I hope your cat turns up. Have your neighbours checked their garages ect?
Old 14-09-2008, 07:02 PM
D7AKE

I have three cats, two of the cats we see on a regular basis, they are in and out all the time, I have locked them in the garage by accident for 3 or 4 days at a time, we now put a bowl of water and dry food in our garage.

The one cat I havent seen now for three days, and I used to worry but I dont any more you just got to let them do what they want unless you want house cats.

I stayed up all nite once when I hadnt seen her for 5 days and she came in had her food at about 2am and pissed off back out and we didnt see her again for days!

Best of luck with your cat, bet it turns up

Si
Old 14-09-2008, 07:48 PM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by D7AKE
I have three cats, two of the cats we see on a regular basis, they are in and out all the time, I have locked them in the garage by accident for 3 or 4 days at a time, we now put a bowl of water and dry food in our garage.

The one cat I havent seen now for three days, and I used to worry but I dont any more you just got to let them do what they want unless you want house cats.

I stayed up all nite once when I hadnt seen her for 5 days and she came in had her food at about 2am and pissed off back out and we didnt see her again for days!

Best of luck with your cat, bet it turns up

Si
Thanks for this. My Mrs was just off to bed in tears but I stopped her to show her this which got a big smile. So I owe you a beer! TBH he is just coming to full maturity so like you say, I think he is likely to be one of these cats!

He has always had a scant regard for the rule book to say the least!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:27 PM
RAT8OY

Well it is my great pleasure to annouce I have a little black furry friend asleep on the couch next to me with his head on my lap as I type this.

About an hour ago I heard a cat crying at the front of the house and obviously shot out to see my neighbours trying to catch him in the street. He shot past me and straight into the house. It appears he has badly hurt his rear leg or pelvis, but doesnt appear to be in any real current pain.

He was starving hungry so I have fed him and he will be going to the vet first thing, thank god we pay for the premium insurance, so I am sure they will have him back in tip top condition asap. He seems a bit timid which is to be expected. God alone nows what hes been up to. He is now fast asleep/out cold!

Thank you all again very much for the positive comments the genuinely helped us a great deal.

I am now one very happy and relieved man! Happy of happiest days!!
Old 14-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

That's good news matey Glad to hear he returned.

RW
Old 14-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

glad to hear that! sure he'll be fine
Old 14-09-2008, 09:42 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nice one! Sounds like he may have been hit by a car or something, hope he gets better. VERY strange about the collar thing though!

I was going to say my cat disappeared for a few days once for the first time in 20 years, but she turned up eventually. The reason for this we believe was because we had to have a friends dog stay overnight, so we think she didnt want to come back and was scared, poor thing.
Old 14-09-2008, 09:46 PM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by S1rst
Nice one! Sounds like he may have been hit by a car or something, hope he gets better. VERY strange about the collar thing though!

I was going to say my cat disappeared for a few days once for the first time in 20 years, but she turned up eventually. The reason for this we believe was because we had to have a friends dog stay overnight, so we think she didnt want to come back and was scared, poor thing.
Cheers,

Exactley what I was thinking as soon as I saw him, it has all the hallmarks of a bump from a car!

Was probably the scent of the dog in the house that did for your cat mate, that coupled with a little bit of payback for you daring to bring such a foul beast into HER house! LOL!
Old 14-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Yes, cats will fuck off if you bring in another animal. They soon come back. Sadly, people will feed them meaning they don't always come back so fast. I'm very glad your cat has come back, seriously. I love cats so much, it's crazy.

Remember, your cat will be in shock if she has been ran over so may not seem herself. Their are lots of ways she could of damaged her pelvis, sadly you will never know. In general cats are clever and the chances of her damaging it herself are slim. Ran over seems about right.

Thankfully, a lot people brake hard and only tap the cat. Thus meaning when it runs off they assume it's fine. The cat has probably then gone somewhere quiet and been in a state of shock.

I am genuinely happy for you.

Take care, Benni.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:09 PM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by Benni
Yes, cats will fuck off if you bring in another animal. They soon come back. Sadly, people will feed them meaning they don't always come back so fast. I'm very glad your cat has come back, seriously. I love cats so much, it's crazy.

Remember, your cat will be in shock if she has been ran over so may not seem herself. Their are lots of ways she could of damaged her pelvis, sadly you will never know. In general cats are clever and the chances of her damaging it herself are slim. Ran over seems about right.

Thankfully, a lot people brake hard and only tap the cat. Thus meaning when it runs off they assume it's fine. The cat has probably then gone somewhere quiet and been in a state of shock.

I am genuinely happy for you.

Take care, Benni.
Mate you sound just like me! I think the world of my cats as I do any animals. In fact I have alot more time for animals than humans, at least their not trying to fuck you over all the time. I have just noticed a little bit of urine when he got up to turn around and he has no movement in his tail either its just hanging down and he stands on it. That has got me a bit worried. But hopefully the vet will put him right in the morning.
Old 14-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

The vet will do him good. They are magic. Costly, as I am sure you know but I would sell my leg for my cat. Yeah, you know where you stand with animals.

Benni.
Old 14-09-2008, 11:58 PM
RAT8OY

Well I was watching him trying to move and he seemed to be stiffening up and passed a little urine. His tail was as if its dead, so I called the 24hr number for the vets and we just took him down there. Unfortunately its not good news and he will be having his tail removed in the next couple of hours. He is by no means out of the woods yet as they have to establish the extent of the nerve damage and I have been told that this could mean the very worse.

I have just signed for nearly £1500 in vet fees so I better hope all the insurance stuff is up to date!!

Either way he will not be in any further pain and I believe he is on the morphine as we speak!

Fingers crossed!
Old 14-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Not good mate. I wish you and your cat all the best. Keep us updated.

Benni.
Old 15-09-2008, 12:11 AM
bbspolo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sorry for you mate! how old is it?
the one thing u may have 2 consider is cats dont offten pass away at home!
ive had 2 now and they know some how that there time is up and go for one last wonder before finding some were comfie to go, both my cats did this and i onl found out why by asking or vet!

anyway fingers crossed for you like alot have said chances are its just been caught in someones garage or shed and will turn up! the amount of times ive found other peoples cats in my garages or shed!

Quick Reply: Anybody had experience with their cat going walkabout?