General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

chartered engineers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 PM
FASTdan
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chartered engineers?

Just wondering if anyone on here is a 'chartered' engineer? Mechanical or electrical?

If so, do you think its helped in any way or a waste of time?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Large companies want you to be chartered, especialy if you want to progress into senior positions also gives you credability if you decide to be an engineer doing contract work. So i'd say worth it in the long run.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i would say it is not of great benifit unless you want to go down the contracting route, i think of all the guys at my place only 1 or 2 of them are chartered
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

most big companies will give you the opportunity for no extra cash anyway, and positively encourage it. the bigger decision usually is spending an extra year at uni to facilitate it.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:02 PM
FASTdan
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Dave Ridge
Large companies want you to be chartered, especialy if you want to progress into senior positions also gives you credability if you decide to be an engineer doing contract work. So i'd say worth it in the long run.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts on it - just wondered how others perceive it. Going by that I take it you are?

I'm currently in the early stages of writing my professional review but I've recently moved to a 'small' company with a very small minded mentality, ie full of people who think its a waste of time. For me I think its worth it, as like you say big organisations value it, plus I do quite fancy contracting/self employed in the future.

where do you guys work out of interest? company I'm with currently (Sewtec Automation) are an OEM of special purpose automation equipment for food/tobacco industry.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM
FASTdan
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
most big companies will give you the opportunity for no extra cash anyway, and positively encourage it. the bigger decision usually is spending an extra year at uni to facilitate it.
presumably you mean if your batchelors degree is not already accredited?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:05 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Thought you needed a Masters for CEng and a Batchelors for IEng?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
FASTdan
Regular Contributor

going on what I was told by the area representative when I was at my last company (Which was a while back) and the tables on the imeche website it depends on your degree and the date that you started it.

For me, I did Beng product design + manufacture at Loughborough which according to the tables is accredited before '99 (iirc) but requires a masters thereafter.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Dan
I completed an MSc last year and currently filling in competency documentation for Chartered Scientist or Environmetalist (not decided which yet) via CIWEM. Can't go for Engineer due to my academic background (BSc Chemistry).
Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 PM
D7AKE
Advanced PassionFord User

Iam a Chartered Building Surveyor, I am a Senior Surveyor where I work tidy money as well, I have a Hons Degree and a full member of the RICS
Old 11-09-2008, 05:10 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilM
Thought you needed a Masters for CEng and a Batchelors for IEng?
It doesn't work like that, although your along the right lines.

If you gain a masters from uni in any engineering course they are all mostly accredited by the IET (new IEEE), MICE, but this does not make you a chartered engineer.

If you have a masters you will already be half way there to full chartership and will be required to work somewhere for around 1-2 years to gain on the job experience. If however you have a bachelors you are required to sit exams and do courses along with 1-2 years experience.

In my case im doing a Masters in electronic and electrical engineering mainly because for my final year project I get to work anywhere in the world for 6 months, fully paid and free accomodation. IMHO a future employer will see this as being proof of my independance and willingness to learn. Other mates on my course are happy to get a job with a bachelors but in future years if you switch companies you are less likely to be taken on compared to someone with a masters - but ofcourse thats not the be all and end all of it.

HTH
Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 AM
FASTdan
Regular Contributor

Thumbs up

But if you started your batchelors before a certain date it can still be fully accredited.

Eg, just re-checked mine. Product Design + manufacture at Lougborough, started 1998. Find that in the tables on the IMECHE website and FL (further learning) is only required after 2000.