General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cambelt Tensioner on Mondeo

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
hughstary
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cambelt Tensioner on Mondeo

Hi,

I went to put a new cambelt on my 98 1.8 Zetec at the weekend, and found the tensioner didn't match the Haynes description - it's the older 98 type with a spring that hooks onto a pin screwed into the inner cambelt shield. However, the spring and pin were both missing and the tensioner was bolted tight in a fixed position. I understood from the description that the pulley should be free to move, allowing to spring to take up changes in belt tension - have I got that right ?

All I could do in the short term was to tension the belt approximately as before, but there seems to be a fair bit of slack. When the engine runs from cold, I can hear the belt slapping on the top cambelt cover - a bit of a worrying noise! I'm assuming that the last person to change the belt must have bodged it for some reason, or am I missing something ?

I plan to source a new tensioner pulley and replace it properly, but just wanted to check that I'm on the right track. Any comments very welcome!

Cheers