General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: T4 or Gt30
T4
36.30%
GT30
63.70%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

t4 or Gt30 for 500bhp

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 PM
John Savage
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon1
i think a well specked engine with a gt3076r with .82 is much better to drive then a T4
Nice statement!? is that based on a poorly specked engine running T4 then? Nothing wrong with a well specked engine and a T4 either mate.

Its all horses for courses, you can achive 500bhp either with T4 or GT30 so its bascially all down to the tuner you use as to what they prefer/what they recommend or what you personnaly want to achive with your own engine and how much you want to throw at it.

Personnaly i went the T4 route and am more than happy with the outcome
Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Originally Posted by John Savage
Nice statement!? is that based on a poorly specked engine running T4 then? Nothing wrong with a well specked engine and a T4 either mate.

Its all horses for courses, you can achive 500bhp either with T4 or GT30 so its bascially all down to the tuner you use as to what they prefer/what they recommend or what you personnaly want to achive with your own engine and how much you want to throw at it.

Well he did say that he thinks it would in his appinion, no need to attack him
Or should i attack you for not going the gt-35 route that i am?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car with a shonky T4 makes almost a bar of boost at 3000rpm. Yep, these turbos are shite .
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
My car with a shonky T4 makes almost a bar of boost at 3000rpm. Yep, these turbos are shite .
Are yours a standard t4 m8?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

here is 1 of the graphs i have on my pc when we was mapping (not finished)

Old 09-09-2008, 02:09 PM
John Savage

Originally Posted by cossiemanden
Well he did say that he thinks it would in his appinion, no need to attack him
Or should i attack you for not going the gt-35 route that i am?
Not attacking anyone mate just pointing out that its was a bit of a sweeping statement thats all!

P.S if i wanted to go GT35 I could have but i think 500BHP is more than enough for a road car!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Gordon1

i was only saying i ithink they are better to drive and yes you are right its up to what the perticular person wants
Old 09-09-2008, 02:14 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Not attacking anyone mate just pointing out that its was a bit of a sweeping statement thats all!

P.S if i wanted to go GT35 I could have but i think 500BHP is more than enough for a road car!
To be honest, i would actually agree with him, BUT the new t4 with gt housing and ballbearings are actually good for an internal wg turbo, but a gt 3076 on external wg will beat it if u ask me
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
John Savage

i was only saying i ithink they are better to drive and yes you are right its up to what the perticular person wants
No worries! was that graph on gt30 or 35?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Gordon1

No worries! was that graph on gt30 or 35?

its ok lol it was a gt3076r with .82
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Are yours a standard t4 m8?
Nope. See previous page . The point I was making is that it is possible to have the best of both worlds (strength of a T4 / response of a GT30), by applying current technology to older turbos. This then negates all the issues with packaging, reliability (turbo and wastegate) and additional costs required with an externally gated turbo.

There would have to be some SERIOUS improvements for me to switch to a GT turbo (I only want 500bhp), and there are NONE at this power level, only what people "assume" as they have not explored the other possibilities, or are basing their opinion on poorly specced T4 engines (there is NOTHING worse than a poorly specced T4 engine for lag and response).
Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
John Savage

To be honest, i would actually agree with him, BUT the new t4 with gt housing and ballbearings are actually good for an internal wg turbo, but a gt 3076 on external wg will beat it if u ask me
Yep you are probably right, but is the person who only uses there car on the road (eg motorway madness), going to really notice the difference between the T4 and GT30? if both are on properly specked engines for 500 BHP?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
John Savage

Nope. See previous page . The point I was making is that it is possible to have the best of both worlds (strength of a T4 / response of a GT30), by applying current technology to older turbos. This then negates all the issues with packaging, reliability (turbo and wastegate) and additional costs required with an externally gated turbo.

There would have to be some SERIOUS improvements for me to switch to a GT turbo (I only want 500bhp), and there are NONE at this power level, only what people "assume" as they have not explored the other possibilities, or are basing their opinion on poorly specced T4 engines (there is NOTHING worse than a poorly specced T4 engine for lag and response).
My point exactly mike!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

A 0.63 a/r GT30 may offer a small improvement in boost threshold, but it will be at the expense of top end flow and this means huge increases in back-pressure - fine for a road car, but not what I would personally want on a track car.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Gordon1

mike are you saying there are no gt30s with 500bhp?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
John Savage

mike are you saying there are no gt30s with 500bhp?
i think he means that suit his specific requirements!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

No, I am saying that there are no serious improvements to be had at 500bhp power level to warrant a GT30 over a T4 (for my application of a track car).
Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Off course there wil not be a huge difference, cause the t4 is actually pretty good build, but there isent a lot of difference in building a t4 with everything "updated" and a gt30 .82 with ext wg in price.
What does a fully modified t4 coast? 1400Ł something?
I gt30 is arround 850Ł plus 200 for the manifold + 200 for a cheap wg + 50 for some pipe fo the dp and 120 for a boost controler.
Hmmmm, i´m thinking gt30 here
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

The point I was making is that it is possible to have the best of both worlds (strength of a T4 / response of a GT30), by applying current technology to older turbos..

You mention the strength of a T4 v GT30, surely when you opt for the GT series centre housing you also end up with the thinner shaft? So given that ...what's the difference?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike i still think its is funny that you think someone with the development budget/facilities like Honeywell/garrett would develop a turbo that WASN'T any better than something they produced 25 years ago.

There have been huge advances in most technologies over the past 25 years so why would you not expect this to apply to turbochargers??

I can just see it now...

Mrs Rainbird - "Mikewoo woo, i want the 48 inch LCD with HD, dolby surround sound and built in sky plus hard drive"

Mike - " Sorry honey, you just cany beat a cathode ray tube and that crisp mono sound"

Last edited by Garage19; 09-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Gordon1

Originally Posted by Garage19
Mike i still think its is funny that you think someone with the development budget/facilities like Honeywell/garrett would develop a turbo that WASN'T any better than something they produced 25 years ago.

There have been huge advances in most technologies over the past 25 years so why would you not expect this to apply to turbochargers??

I can just see it now...

Mrs Rainbird - "Mikewoo woo, i want the 48 inch LCD with HD, dolby surround sound and built in sky plus hard drive"

Mike - " Sorry honey, you just cany beat a cathode ray tube and that crisp mono sound"

Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
You mention the strength of a T4 v GT30, surely when you opt for the GT series centre housing you also end up with the thinner shaft? So given that ...what's the difference?
So basically what is left from the old t4 is the wheels and the exhaust housing?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So basically what is left from the old t4 is the wheels and the exhaust housing?
Yes, you get a new weak core, with an old bady designed set of blades and housings.

Surely it would be better the other way around, modern GT35 wheels and housings on a robust T4 core
Old 09-09-2008, 03:07 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Originally Posted by Chip
Yes, you get a new weak core, with an old bady designed set of blades and housings.

Surely it would be better the other way around, modern GT35 wheels and housings on a robust T4 core
LOOOOOOL
Old 09-09-2008, 03:07 PM
John Savage

Why bother modding it in the first place if you are only interested in the magic 500? (as per title of this thread!) As i said earlier ITS ALL DOWN TO HOW YOU WANT YOUR ENGINE TO PERFORM.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM
John Savage

Originally Posted by Chip

So why has nobody done this? or have they?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Because at Ł850 each you are better off just buying a GT30 or 35!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Gordon1

but a std T4 is on limit at 500 bhp
Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
John Savage

but a std T4 is on limit at 500 bhp
as per title of thread then?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Why bother modding it in the first place if you are only interested in the magic 500? (as per title of this thread!) As i said earlier ITS ALL DOWN TO HOW YOU WANT YOUR ENGINE TO PERFORM.
It´s NOT the turbo who "decides" how your engine is going to perform, but the head, cams, manifolds and mapping, dont forget, the turbo only blows air.
You can get a t34 to work like a t4 does, and vice versa depending on the above
Old 09-09-2008, 03:17 PM
John Savage

It´s NOT the turbo who "decides" how your engine is going to perform, but the head, cams, manifolds and mapping, dont forget, the turbo only blows air.
and back to the badly specked engine on T4 v's properly specked GT debate again....
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Er, regarding the shaft - why don't you look at the photos I posted up on the previous page, instead of jumping to random (incorrect) conclusions .

If you think the T4 has badly designed / inefficient wheels etc, perhaps you should compare compressor maps. From what I have seen, the T4 is still the Daddy....

The ONLY improvement with the GT30 (0.63 a/r) compared to the T4 is in boost-threshold, but at the expense of top end flow (500bhp @ 32psi is it's limit) AND strength. The only way the boost threshold is improved, is due to the lighter weight of the GT turbo's shaft (for a better reciprocating mass), but this makes it inherently weaker than the T4 item. If this is so important to you, and you want to pay for all the associated paraphanalia that goes with an externally gated turbo, then that is entirely your perogative.

However, I researched the differences, and for a 500bhp track car, I stuck with the shonky T4. It's up to you to chose what you want, but don't think that just because something is newer, it is better.

I'm sure Tony would back me up on this, if he wasn't still sulking at me .

A standard T4 may be limited to 520 bhp @ 32psi, but the one I pictured previously (with the mods to the exhaust housing) has produced 500bhp AT THE WHEELS (see Euan's graph).

Last edited by Mike Rainbird; 09-09-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

and back to the badly specked engine on T4 v's properly specked GT debate again....
Exatly, but the same goes to the gt30.
BUT the thread says t4 vs gt30 NOT modified t4 vs gt30 which some are talking about
Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

but don't think that just because something is newer, it is better.
I believe your barbour works on the same theory?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Er, regarding the shaft - why don't you look at the photos I posted up on the previous page, instead of jumping to random (incorrect) conclusions .
Was that aimed at me? If so I am aware that you have machined down your 247 shaft.. But does your Ł1400 T4 come complete with the 247 shaft?

IMHO There is only one reason why you would fit a T4 over a GT series and that's packaging.

Oh and reliability problems ?? What problems I used a GT series and battered it on the Gumball, Lee did the same any failures?.. Not here!

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 09-09-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:29 PM
John Savage

ok ignore the modded T4 for a minute (and mike, just for the modded bit mike!), basically we all know a T4 will work for 500 and so will the GT30, so at the end of the day it comes down to whoever and however the person chooses to build the engine and how well it is speced and put together. old technology or new they both work for the the big 500 choosing either way they will have a quck car if done right!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

If you think the T4 has badly designed / inefficient wheels etc, perhaps you should compare compressor maps. From what I have seen, the T4 is still the Daddy....

The ONLY improvement with the GT30 (0.63 a/r) compared to the T4 is in boost-threshold, but at the expense of top end flow (500bhp @ 32psi is it's limit) AND strength. The only way the boost threshold is improved, is due to the lighter weight of the GT turbo's shaft (for a better reciprocating mass), but this makes it inherently weaker than the T4 item. If this is so important to you, and you want to pay for all the associated paraphanalia that goes with an externally gated turbo, then that is entirely your perogative.

However, I researched the differences, and for a 500bhp track car, I stuck with the shonky T4. It's up to you to chose what you want, but don't think that just because something is newer, it is better.

I'm sure Tony would back me up on this, if he wasn't still sulking at me .

A standard T4 may be limited to 520 bhp @ 32psi, but the one I pictured previously (with the mods to the exhaust housing) has produced 500bhp AT THE WHEELS (see Euan's graph).
But mike, u cant compare a modified t4 with a std gt30 can u?
A gt-30 can also come with internal wg btw, even in trim 82 and that will make the t4 look bad in my appinion.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Gordon1

ok ignore the modded T4 for a minute (and mike, just for the modded bit mike!), basically we all know a T4 will work for 500 and so will the GT30, so at the end of the day it comes down to whoever and however the person chooses to build the engine and how well it is speced and put together. old technology or new they both work for the the big 500 choosing either way they will have a quck car if done right!
defo right
Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
John Savage

defo right
cheers gordon!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Yep, with the t4 more strong and the gt30 is better spool-up

Quick Reply: t4 or Gt30 for 500bhp