General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RIGHT! Crash Courses?! Anyone know anything about them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIGHT! Crash Courses?! Anyone know anything about them?

Right I'm 22 and sick and tired of not having a license and having to get a bus or train everytime I wanna go anywhere! I've done a good amount of lessons but haven't driven for around 10 months properly. I was thinking of using some of my student loan in January to do a crash course but don't know what they really entail. Are you guaranteed a pass with these courses or do you do some lessons and get one shot at the test? I've worked out that if I do this in January, I can afford a cheap car in March or april, whenever it is that the final loan payment comes thru.

Any help or advice on this is much appreciated guys!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not garanteed a pass, but the pass rate is high.
I did one in 1989 and the passrate then was 98% where i went.
Everywhere does them differently, but on mine i basically started at 9am monday and passed friday lunch time!
Time was split between watching a video, then go out driving to do what u just learnt and repeat etc
Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
BlueSmoke

So do you need a completely free week to do it? I did see something a while back about a ten hour intensive course with BSM and thought maybe that would do me seeing as I've had plenty of lessons in the last couple of years.

What do you think?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have already had quite afew lessons, would it not be cheaper to just book a couple to refresh everything etc than to go for a full intensive course?
Remember they are geared towards people who have never stepped in a car, so half of it would be just wasted on you and also be a waste of money too (they are not cheap!)

The one i did was a full week, 9 to 4 or 5, im not sure what they are like now.
As I said before, every driving school is going to be different.
I did mine with Wellingborough Driving Accademy, they invented the one week course!
At the time they were advertising it in the national press and people were coming from all over the country and staying hotels as part of the price.
In my group one there were people from London, Wales, Leeds etc, i was lucky it was local
Old 08-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Chipperx2
Advanced PassionFord User

I took lessons, and passed in three months with 6 minors
Just pay for a few (5 or so) more lessons and then take your test. take it u've done your theory
Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 AM
BlueSmoke

Yeah done the theory. How's it work with booking a test tho? You need your instructor's car if you don't have your own don't you? Do I just book a test and get one the waiting list and do some lessons in the mean time and tell the instructor I've got a test booked for such and such a date?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:37 AM
~Vix~
Advanced PassionFord User

yeh u can book a test & just do lessons til then

theres a 4 month waiting list round here atm...

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2004, 11:41 AM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

maybe its time to resign yourself to getting the bus or train everywhere! if your 22 and still havent passed your test even after having a lot of lessons.. then this should be telling you something!
Seriously though my mate did an intensive course for a week and spent LOADS of time in the car learning, parking etc etc.. guess what he still failed!
BUT imo your hand eye co-ordination must be non-existant to fail after an intensive course so unless you are 'special' GO FOR IT!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
BlueSmoke

No mate you misunderstand me. I was doing lessons and I was at a point where I was coming up to being ready for my test but circumstances changed and I ran out of money, so it's just a case of getting back in the swing and getting on with it.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
steviep
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got stitched up wiv my crash course.I paid the deposit of £150 and booked all the lessons up (wasn't for about 4 weeks cos I couldn't get a test appointment before) and just waited patiently.Two days before it was due to start, I got a letter through saying that the company had gone bust and they'd cancelled my test appointment and everything.I lost my deposit and had to wait 6 weeks for another test appointment.It was a reputable company as well,not just a one man band.they had a shop on a main high street and a fleet of 6 or so cars.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
BlueSmoke

Damn that's bad news mate. Hope I get a better deal than that!