General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

2wd or 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 25-08-2008, 08:13 AM
yesshh
xbox gamertag-beanzntoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd or 4wd

hi all,
i'm after buying a sierra cosworth if i ever manage to sell my house but before i do i'm going to do abit of homework on what to get & what to look out for apart from the obvious.do you recommend 2wd or 4wd which one & why.i,ve just got rid off an impreza sti 54plate with 320 bhp so i would like to have something with the same amount of power maybe more (up to 400)if i do,would i expect to get many problems with the engine (assuming all mods have been fitted & set up correctly)or is the cossie engine tough enough to modify.Any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated cheers jason
Old 25-08-2008, 08:17 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

erm.. 2wd or 4x4 is personal prefrence. i have a 2wd and have driven a forbie but prefer my 2wd. youl need a stage 3 motor for the power your after, as long as its been tuned properly there fine at that power level there prob good upto around 380bhp.. if you have the funds you can modify the engine to last around 450-500bhp all day long.
Old 25-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ive had both 2wd mucho fun 4wd nice to drive. preference really
Old 25-08-2008, 08:26 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

If you are undecided between 2 and 4wd, be best to drive one of each.
The 2wd are cheaper to maintain, gearboxes much stronger as well, but tend to have been abused much more.
If looked after can be totally reliable, though if going to do any serious amount of miles or tuning work I would change the ecu for aftermarket.
tabetha
Old 25-08-2008, 08:29 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

you dont need to change the ecu at all if your staying arounf the 400bhp
Old 25-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R5FORD
you dont need to change the ecu at all if your staying arounf the 400bhp
agreed!

I preffer the 4x4 as i wanted a car that i can drive all the time, alot more stable in the wet than a 2wd, but you can still break traction if you want to, the only downside from my point of view is the fact that 350 bhp is about your limit, unless you wanna be changing gearboxes all the time.
Old 25-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Think they've all summed everything up above really.

2wd is the stronger car gearbox wise, BUT that's not saying it wont die if really abused cus it will, same goes for the diff.

2wd also can be tuned to a higher power level than to 4wd until boxes and diffs are changed on the 4wd then you start needing to sell drugs to fund for all the parts.

BUT, a 4wd with a nice solid 350 is a fantastic road car and i'm confident although it'd only be 20/30bhp more than your Scooby was, it'll feel ALOT more responsive with a T34 on running 30psi..

Last edited by Staffi; 25-08-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 25-08-2008, 08:55 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Whilst you don't NEED to, you will get better mpg/emissions features if you do.
As I said serious tuning or lots of miles mpg would be a most likely consideration for most.
I gave my stage 3 chip away as it was so shit, and as I did not want to be screwed over money wise everytime I did a bit of tuning work for remapping etc did it the better way by means of a aftermarket ecu, which has already saved me loads of money in fuel alone, I used to get(after set up) on old ecu around 240miles to a tank(heavy right foot), same driving now am on 347 miles with 1/3 tank left, tps went tits up when setting up new ecu, so changed to a straight fit(almost) universal one at £25, 1 minute later I had aligned it via laptop that needs NO SPECIAL SOFTWARE AT ALL, with ALL settings accessible , and shed loads more features for the money, just flew through mot with 2.25% co, even though it has not been mapped yet.
tabetha
tabetha
Old 25-08-2008, 09:05 AM
yesshh
xbox gamertag-beanzntoast

Question

Thanks to all for your replies i think after staffi's post i'm going to go for the 4x4 because 350bhp would enough for me as i dont really hammer cars constantly so it wouldn't be getting that much abuse.i know somebody's going to throw a spanner in the works & say something to make me undecided again but for now its 4x4.i think its got to be a white one already modified hopefully.I know its difficult for an exect price not knowing what year i'm going to go for but any ideas on price for a half decent one
Old 25-08-2008, 09:07 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
As I said serious tuning or lots of miles mpg would be a most likely consideration for most.
I gave my stage 3 chip away as it was so shit, and as I did not want to be screwed over money wise everytime I did a bit of tuning work for remapping etc did it the better way by means of a aftermarket ecu, which has already saved me loads of money in fuel alone, I used to get(after set up) on old ecu around 240miles to a tank(heavy right foot), same driving now am on 347 miles with 1/3 tank left, tps went tits up when setting up new ecu, so changed to a straight fit(almost) universal one at £25, 1 minute later I had aligned it via laptop that needs NO SPECIAL SOFTWARE AT ALL, with ALL settings accessible , and shed loads more features for the money, just flew through mot with 2.25% co, even though it has not been mapped yet.
tabetha
tabetha
your chip was shit then,i could get over 400 miles to a tank on greys and found everything to be fine,perfect driveability on or off boost,i think you have just had a bad experience,dont bother spending HUGE amounts on an ecu if the std will do everything you want (and now stu at msd is doing even more for these ecu's giving more options)
Old 25-08-2008, 09:09 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

btw 4x4 vs 2wd
2wd is faster
2wd accelerates faster
2wd has better brakes
2wd has better gearbox
2wd has better diff

4wd has better engine
4wd wont try to kill you in the wet
4wd will cost more to buy in general
4wd will cost more to fix in general
Old 25-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2wd is more to buy these days greg, nobody wants 4x4 cossies if they did they would get a escos
Old 25-08-2008, 09:22 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

tabetha
tabetha
tabeth n the hidden agenda with the cossie ecu..

did you ever think about trying a diffrent stage 3 chip and getting it set up
Old 25-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive found aftermarket ecu's tend to require reving the throttle to start ect when mapped,,,, but again its only as good as the person who maps it,,,, same as a cossie ecu i guess
Old 25-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yesshh
Thanks to all for your replies i think after staffi's post i'm going to go for the 4x4 because 350bhp would enough for me as i dont really hammer cars constantly so it wouldn't be getting that much abuse.i know somebody's going to throw a spanner in the works & say something to make me undecided again but for now its 4x4.i think its got to be a white one already modified hopefully.I know its difficult for an exect price not knowing what year i'm going to go for but any ideas on price for a half decent one
mines white and i think may be for sale soon (this is not a forsale post)
Old 25-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

tabetha
tabetha
yes you may be right if you plan on doing lots of mods over the year and always need setting up but for just a stage 3 you can get some very good maps for the std ecu