General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

road rally/rallying

Search this Thread

Old 19-08-2008, 08:08 AM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road rally/rallying

Was wondering if anyone on here rally, or does road rallying. Im wanting to get into road rallying, I was going to use my focus, but its a 5-door and only a 1.6. so was thinking what is good, suppose, light car, and cheap to buy, like only 1.5-2k max really. Tho the focus is just sat there so it is a shame not to use it and repair it etc. but I think it will be a disadvantage when I progress due to low weight to bhp ratio. There about 1197kg I think, and it was rollered at 115bhp, tho it just has a cat-back and panel replacement so they may have been a optimistic rolling road. Even if I reduced some weight, air con removal, sound deadening out, ( tho with a cage and 2 spare wheels and tyres think it will prob be over standard weight anyway) and rest of exhaust, cams and mapped it still wouldn be there I don’t think.
Do many people rally focus, or the 2.0l?

cheers
Old 19-08-2008, 08:24 AM
GpA4x4
Part of the Furniture

Take a look over on britishrally.co.uk, theres a lot of road rally boys there and are a friendly bunch too so can hopefully help you. Road rally rules can be a bit different to stage rallying so I could fill your head with nonsense, unintentionally of course.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:27 AM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

yeah, member of a rally club, and couple m,ates rally so got a starting point. why could do with a light car as got to keep interior, and my other car a) has to many cylinders and b) a turbo lol
Old 19-08-2008, 08:45 AM
philram
Mulechild

i've got a few mates that do road rallies and i'd say getting a good navigator is as important as the car.. i've seen average drivers do really well just because there navvy hasn't missed any boards and is always spot on with the timing. i'd just get a any cheap car, have a laugh, and take it from there..
Old 19-08-2008, 09:25 AM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

that is true, have a mate who said he will do it with us, but unsure as to how commited he will be
Old 19-08-2008, 09:39 AM
ANDYRACER
The more turbos,more fun!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuck the focus off you mincer, can get a decent spec'd nova gte road rally car for 1k.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:54 AM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

god your on here aswell. no hope.

i know, just have a soft spot for the thing. and find me a nova then. was thinking 1600 corsa b sport aswell.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:55 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

look at the "061 motor club" mate they are near you!

im currently leading the Peak Trophy novice's road rally championship. i only started this year. most clubs offer a winter championship which is a smaller championship so you can test to see if you like it!

the focus will do you for now until you can get a R/R car, but i would suggest getting a sump guard and some spotlamps as there are some roads that are used known a "whites" that will rip a sump apart in seconds unless you creep across them.

one of the biggest cars used at the moment is a 205 GTI, they can set you back about £2k ish or protons are used alot, but they are expensive.

road rally rules state you must have an interior and standard bodywork (i.e. no stickers other than rally plates which are supplied by the organisers)

best bet is to get to a club mate and they can sort you out! www.britishrally.co.uk is a good place to start, but http://www.stockport061.co.uk/ is a good club and organise a very good event!
Old 19-08-2008, 10:18 AM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

just waiting to get on british rally, member of eromc in rushton,

im going to be taking the focus to a garage and just get them to sort it, as i also need somat cheaper to drive around.
ill raise it up to standard, with uprated shocks i think, smaller wheels than what are on it. decent tyres. spots and sump guard.

prob is then ill keep spending on it, or just get it back get rid and buy somat better. tho i do like the focus. tho wudn mind somat rwd. but like i say, need somat cheap
Old 19-08-2008, 10:32 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by johnathan
just waiting to get on british rally, member of eromc in rushton,

im going to be taking the focus to a garage and just get them to sort it, as i also need somat cheaper to drive around.
ill raise it up to standard, with uprated shocks i think, smaller wheels than what are on it. decent tyres. spots and sump guard.

prob is then ill keep spending on it, or just get it back get rid and buy somat better. tho i do like the focus. tho wudn mind somat rwd. but like i say, need somat cheap
part worn knobblies are reccomendations for tyres around derbyshire by many, but havent been too much further up north than sheffield as its only my first year competing. 2nd hand Recon'd Bilstiens come fairly cheep and can cope with the rough roads well. 106 XSI's are being used more and more, especially the 1400cc versions as they can also compete in enduro's, which are somewhere between road rallys and stage rally, as they use private land and do "selectif's" during the day, and incorporate a road rally at night...
Old 19-08-2008, 10:45 AM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

thats intresting.
can i road rally car be kept fairly ok for use on roads, as i will poss be useing whatever for driving around when skint and no fuel for skyline. suppose they cna be got to be tax and tested. just prob swap tyres round.
Old 19-08-2008, 03:39 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can you still road rally a impreza type ra, i sold one in the motoring news to a south wales preparation expert who rented out cars, i knew the ra would make a good lanes car, i have seen them in action and tbh they are the perfect car but i heard they may get banned.
fella i know r/r's a fwd 16v corrola as its differant but effective.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:05 PM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

i think no turbo allowed iirc

thinking i may do a season in the focus, and then save u some pennies so i can put towards a good car.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:25 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have been in north wales at night on rr's and seen some fantastic stuff, we always tried to get the speccies map so we knew where to go and watch.
whens this years classic lanes ???