General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Road Pricing 2.0 is two years away

Search this Thread

Old 18-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Pricing 2.0 is two years away

Motorists face paying up to £1.30 a mile during peak periods on the busiest roads.
The Daily Telegraph has learnt that eight areas - Leeds, North Yorkshire, Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire, south west London, Suffolk and Essex – have been selected for the trials.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...d-pricing.html
Old 18-08-2008, 12:32 PM
purple_fiesta
No longer a ford owner ..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they can fuck right off.
Old 18-08-2008, 01:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

a much better use of the telegrath

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...8.html?image=3
Old 18-08-2008, 01:04 PM
dojj

blimey, that's got to hurt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...8.html?image=9
Old 18-08-2008, 01:05 PM
dojj

but don't clikc this link is you've just had your dinner

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict....html?image=17

Old 18-08-2008, 01:06 PM
dojj

shocking

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict....html?image=22

Old 18-08-2008, 01:08 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by purple_fiesta
they can fuck right off.
+1

mind you, i think i might volenteer do be one of the guniea pigs of the trials

bolt the thing to the mondeo that does around 5 miels a week and see what they want to charge me :cry :
Old 18-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I cannot see this taking place.

Benni.
Old 18-08-2008, 01:14 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Benni
I cannot see this taking place.

Benni.
you don't want me to put a tracking device in my car?

why ever not?

Old 18-08-2008, 01:15 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by dojj
+1

mind you, i think i might volenteer do be one of the guniea pigs of the trials

bolt the thing to the mondeo that does around 5 miels a week and see what they want to charge me :cry :

In other news, they can kiss my cornhole!!
Old 18-08-2008, 01:20 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Apparently the russian team were checking the weights beforehand..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...8.html?image=3
Old 18-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

another bloody goverment scam, surely we are allready paying tax per mile, with the price of bloody petrol!
Old 18-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i remember people saying the congestion charge would never happen

the thing that anoys me was toll booths are ment to be a thing of the past, look at history of turnpike lane, archway bridge ect and people where charged a toll to enter,,, then they stopped it

NOW its back ?
Old 18-08-2008, 02:33 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

But don't we already pay for the roads with our road tax!!!! You'll be taxed every time you fart soon then I'll be bankrupt.
Old 18-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to clarify

Road Pricing 2.0 is two years away
Road pricing isnt 2 years away, its MUCH further away than that, a trial is 2 years away.
Old 18-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Chip

Ps

Personally im FOR a scheme, but Id like one implemented fairly and honestly for the good of congestion and the benefit of the economy, and what we will get isnt that, its going to just be wholesale daylight robbery
Old 18-08-2008, 03:06 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Chip
Ps

Personally im FOR a scheme, but Id like one implemented fairly and honestly for the good of congestion and the benefit of the economy, and what we will get isnt that, its going to just be wholesale daylight robbery
you sound like a mp chip, which constituency are you represting with that speach

i'd say stick up little signs like they have in car parks that etll you how many spaces there are left

simple, effective, you create the queues out in the wildnerness where the trees and bushes can get better with the fumes and the inner cities will benifit by not having loads of cars around the place

at erect toll bariers at each county line, so to leave one you don't have to pay but to enter you you, like they've done with wales

or just don't put any charges in at all and let those who can afford to run cars run cars and those who can't not

or, even better, have an allowance for vehicles for each house, you use one one day and not the next, and you are only allowed to have this option on your main car, if you have several you would have to put it on the one that you would use the most and everything else would be subject to a road toll of 10p a mile regardless of where you went or what time of the day you drove
you get a little card that you cold swpie every time you started the car to show how long etc

or we could all walk our kids to school
Old 18-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Chip

Road pricing done fairly, would mean a drop in petrol prices to lower the cost of travel in rural areas massively, where large distances between homes and places of work are killing the economy as people literally cant afford to travel to work, these roads would also of course have NO road charging on them, as they are free of congestion.
Old 18-08-2008, 03:16 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
at erect toll bariers at each county line, so to leave one you don't have to pay but to enter you you, like they've done with wales

or we could all walk our kids to school
Some people actually live quite a way from civilisation! As much as I'd like to walk my kids to school, it would be a bit mean making them walk 9 miles each way!!
Old 18-08-2008, 03:17 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Road pricing done fairly, would mean a drop in petrol prices
You reckon the government would implement a scheme that would make people pay LESS!
Old 18-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
You reckon the government would implement a scheme that would make people pay LESS!
Of course I fucking well dont!

I said "if done fairly" which obviously doesnt mean a system in the uk implemented by the current government system (by that I mean both parties)

I was talking about after the revolution, when im in power
Old 18-08-2008, 03:25 PM
dojj

Some people actually live quite a way from civilisation! As much as I'd like to walk my kids to school, it would be a bit mean making them walk 9 miles each way!!
move closer to the school then, like the rest of the posh knobs who live in london

i was lucky in that my dad bought a house on a road with 3 school within 100 yards, primary, junior, high school, now with nursey and 6th blocks too (still a shit sink hole school for the slobs of the council estates but it's a selling factor nowadays)

but if you've got to drive the kids to school beause they are so far away then that's fine, but wy doesn't someone say "here's an idea, w'll do a park and ride scheame for the kids where the parents can rop them off at a conveninetn location a mile or so from the school gates where there is less traffic and we will shuttle them to chool and abck again in the afternoons, staggered opening times would ease conjgestion at both times of the day"

but that's too simple an idea to work isn't it

one mroe thng, i dind't get into the high school who's gates i coul literally spit on, so i had to walk the 1.25 iles to and from the next available palce that owuld take me or spend money on 2 different buses to and from
Old 18-08-2008, 03:33 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Its times like this I'm glad I live in the sticks.

It'll come to us all in the end though. There has to be a breaking point. Car numbers are increasing at a silly rate and yet the road network remains relatively unchanged.
Old 18-08-2008, 11:59 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They HAVE, on the small engine cars, they pay stupidly low road tax compared to cars with larger engines.

There are several problems with the road pricing model, the first is civil liberties and everyones basic right to privacy, the state should not spy on its people.

There is then the issue of fitting devices to every car, who pays for it.

When they implemented seat belt laws back in the 60's people with a pre-1965 car werent forced to pay to retro fit seat belts so why should the motorist pay to have something fitted to their car ?

The roads we have now are ours, the nations, we bought and paid for them over the last century, who has the right to sell them off to foreign companies to run like the Dartford Crossing

Congestion charging doesnt work, London is as congested as ever the only difference is people are now paying more to sit in traffic.

The way to stop congestion is to implement a decent affordable public transport system but they wont, they'll just keep taxing people more and more leaving the problem of investment in public transport for the next government to tackle.
Old 19-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Look on the bright side, at least most of us ford fans know our cars well enough to know where they fit the tracker road charging unit and have the skills to remove it and leave it in the garage on a "keep alive" old car battery!! I guess that will become the next "tax evasion" major crime.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

We have road pricing though. It's called our fuel duty. You drive more you pay more you drive a fuel inefficient car you pay more.

There are other reasons they want to track your every move and it sucks the sweat from your bean bags
Old 19-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Look on the bright side, at least most of us ford fans know our cars well enough to know where they fit the tracker road charging unit and have the skills to remove it and leave it in the garage on a "keep alive" old car battery!! I guess that will become the next "tax evasion" major crime.
I suspect that will be instant prison sentance time, as they will have to stamp that out right from the start, and police cars will be fitted with a scanner to make sure that every car going past them has the device fitted, and pull you if it hasnt.

Sadly would be SO easy for them to catch you
Old 19-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Oranoco
We have road pricing though. It's called our fuel duty. You drive more you pay more you drive a fuel inefficient car you pay more.
How does that give different roads difference prices?

The WHOLE idea of road pricing, is that rural empty roads get no or very little charge, and congested city roads cost a fortune, this doesnt happen currently.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:43 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

How does that give different roads difference prices?

The WHOLE idea of road pricing, is that rural empty roads get no or very little charge, and congested city roads cost a fortune, this doesnt happen currently.

yeh it does... the longer you sit in a congestion, the more fuel you use, so the road becomes more expensive... if you are moving then your MPG increases as opposed to idling for 10 mins creeping down the road...

IMO the only fair way would be to abolish road tax, and stick it all on fuel... the more you use the more tax you pay, the more you sit in congested roads, the more fuel you use, the more expensive they become! then you would see a rise in the ammount of people who turn off their cars when stopped and think about the nex car they are going to get!
Old 19-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by nilrem
yeh it does... the longer you sit in a congestion, the more fuel you use, so the road becomes more expensive... if you are moving then your MPG increases as opposed to idling for 10 mins creeping down the road...

IMO the only fair way would be to abolish road tax, and stick it all on fuel... the more you use the more tax you pay, the more you sit in congested roads, the more fuel you use, the more expensive they become! then you would see a rise in the ammount of people who turn off their cars when stopped and think about the nex car they are going to get!
Not if you drive a prius, it uses no fuel when sat in traffic, and it moves very economically at low speeds.

You are TOTALLY missing the point though, fuel costing twice per mile as much cause you are in congestion isnt enough of a deterrant, it needs to be 10 quid a mile in central london at peak times if they are going to see a significant drop in congestion.

They would have to make fuel 50 quid a litre to manage that! Then what happens to the bloke minding his own business on rural roads?
Old 19-08-2008, 09:49 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

At the moment the road charging systems run using anpr.
I'm not sure they'd get away with electronicaly tagging every car in the UK.. if they did I'm sure we'd have to foot the installation bill.
Then theres old classics and bikes that run 6v ignition systems, 24v trucks, etc.. its going to be impossible to implement surely?

Last edited by dunketh; 19-08-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by dunketh
At the moment the road charging systems run using anpr.
I'm not sure they'd get away with electronicaly tagging every car in the UK.. if they did I'm sure we'd have to foot the installation bill.
Then theres old classics and bikes that run 6v ignition systems, 24v trucks, etc.. its going to be impossible to implement surely?
Depends, some transponders are passive.

The biggest issue with number plates is they are so easy to fake.

On the other hand, they already have one on every car, and have a lot of the infratructure in place to implement a system based on reading them.

I suspect no firm decision has been made yet.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:55 AM
chris85uk1
Regular Contributor

Im all up for paying and stuff as long as they remove speed cameras!!
Old 19-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by chris85uk1
Im all up for paying and stuff as long as they remove speed cameras!!
More likely is that the massive network of cameras they setup will be used to both road charge people AND to monitor their speed between all points, so the entire country will eventually end up as one big average speed camera area!
Old 19-08-2008, 09:58 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Road pricing done fairly, would mean a drop in petrol prices to lower the cost of travel in rural areas massively, where large distances between homes and places of work are killing the economy as people literally cant afford to travel to work, these roads would also of course have NO road charging on them, as they are free of congestion.
+1

you would need to be very carefulo about the dispensations etc tho.
Old 19-08-2008, 10:05 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Not if you drive a prius, it uses no fuel when sat in traffic, and it moves very economically at low speeds.

that is my point though... it would make people want a prius/hybrid that would keep their cost of motoring down... surely you wouldn't need to up prices by that much as £50 a litre would be close to about £10 a mile if you use 25mpg as an average for sitting in congestion...
Old 19-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Chip

that is my point though... it would make people want a prius/hybrid that would keep their cost of motoring down... surely you wouldn't need to up prices by that much as £50 a litre would be close to about £10 a mile if you use 25mpg as an average for sitting in congestion...
But road charging isnt just about emissions or hybrids, its main focus is congestion.

You are TOTALLY missing the whole point of it.
Old 19-08-2008, 10:08 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

this isnt about reducing the price of motoring, its about reducing congestion!

making people buy more economical cars is th job of fuel prices, or tax incentives or whatever like you say, but thats not gonna stop you using the road is it?

foreign countries have of course already achieved the same thing by having a public transport network that actually works
Old 19-08-2008, 10:11 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

But road charging isnt just about emissions or hybrids, its main focus is congestion.

You are TOTALLY missing the whole point of it.
ah right... fair enuf... yeh i can see why that wont work...
Old 19-08-2008, 10:30 AM
lacey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I have read most of the above and it is enough to make a persons blood boil coz know mater how you word it or say it or put it it is just a way to get more money from the people that dont have any which would make the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the problems wont end there as all the little back lanes will get more motors on them making them crap for a quick blout any more, and if they wont to cut down the cars on the road then dont make so bloody many of them, and as for co"s from a car go it is said that tyres give off more bad gasses than what the motors do.
And if the goverment do put a price on miles they wont make it work out cheaper for us by dropping the tax as what you have to remember is they would not do it if there werent money in it and then that would also be somthing else to put up when they waste the countries money , so if you think that its for your own benifit for one min" then more fool you as there are means and ways of doing things like this without taking our money, for start stop getting the people of this countrie to paying for there second home when most people find it hard to pay for there own .
Any way i will get off my high horse now

Quick Reply: Road Pricing 2.0 is two years away