General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

H2o (Lambda ?) sensor position / OBD codes

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2008, 11:39 AM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H2o (Lambda ?) sensor position / OBD codes

Right car (Mondeo V6 2.5 1998) been playing up recently.

1/ once when driving relitavely fast (120mph) for about 3 mins constant, car started to judder, and when backed off, every time touched throttle tried to bog down. Turned engine off bought McDs restarted drove fine (kept below 90mph) Done this just the once, but havent pushed it so hard since.

2/ when starting idle kept raising to about 1500rpm and then dropping off to about 500rpm, for about a minute then leveled itself off just under 1000rpm, done this for about 4-5 days then just went away now starting ok

3/Pulled away in second with A/C turned on onto a slip road, so accelerated best I could in second lol, then after a mile or so experienced juddering again (not as bad as the first instance). Again got home stopped the car, and been ok since restarting.

4/ a while back no probs general driving just say if overtaking sometimes it would have go others it didnt, no juddering just seemed to run out of steam. thought this was down to secondaries not opening sometimes, so moved the box that controls them to the battery tray as detailed in Fast Ford. This seemed to have got rid of the no go thing but introduced all these other faults.

Now before I moved the box and had the no go issue, I got my mechanic to have a look at any faults in the brain. There were a couple and when looked them up they were to do with lean running. That was months ago and was gonna go back to mechanic if same problem reoccured, but it didnt for a while so didnt go back and now forgotten what the exact codes were.

Now I got these new codes I have borrowed a Memoscan U581 meter off a guy.

The faults it had stored this time were
P1131 (lack of Ho2s11 switch-sens indicates lean)
P1071 (generic system too lean bank 1)
P0174 (generic system too lean bank 2)
P1151 (lack of Ho2s21 switch-sens indicates lean)

Have now cleared them, but cant get them to reproduce, have tried various "methods" of driving (only managed to get to 100mph max tho due to err obstructions on the "track")

Now my interpretation of these codes is Ho2 sensors, now apparently cos mine a V6 I should have 4, 2 before the cats, 2 after on each half of my V.

Now looking under car (cant actually get proper under it cos lent someone my jack, i can only see one sensor for the fron half of the engine, cant see round the back V, and best I can see under the car cant see any more going into the exhaust, and the two pipes seem to join pretty soon after the cats into one pipe.

So after all that lot
Does anybody know where mt Ho2 sensors are located
How many I have on my car
Is that particular meter likely to be reading the codes correctly
Is my car OBDII compliant

ANY ideas what my problem is
Ho2 sensor/s
Catalytic
Something totally different.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Last edited by The Rapid 1; 14-08-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 14-08-2008, 06:18 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98 mondy defo obd compliant.
I would look at MAF first, try cleaning it first and resetting ecu by pulling KAM fuse(violet 2 amp) for a few mins.
tabetha
Old 14-08-2008, 06:38 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98 mondy defo obd compliant.
I would look at MAF first, try cleaning it first and resetting ecu by pulling KAM fuse(violet 2 amp) for a few mins.
tabetha