General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Timeattack the real truth "Club class" the shake up.my views

Search this Thread

Old 13-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

To show how its gone money crazy in one year.
In club Kev Atkins was the winner last year & in the close season spent 15k+ to keep up this year, but hes only 5th & off the pace even though his car is seconds quicker this year. Kev needed to double that budget to compete but Kev just aint got that type of cash, so hes drivin his nuts off just to stay close. Hes spending as he gets the cash but this season has already passed him bye as a potential winner.
No prize money & pay to enter, personally I think they are all barmy, cant see the point for the club entrants, that are self financed.
Old 13-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For fun?

Same reason you do your top speed runs?
Old 13-08-2008, 01:52 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Rod it is a rich mans game, l can not see why Barry Rycroft is in Club class, it is a garage/tuner backed car driven by the owner of the place.

When l saw Kev earlier this year he hoped to have a few deals up his sleeves that would allow him to compete better but obviously this has not happened.

He could drop into the MLR class and wipe the floor with it lol

Mike
Old 13-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Whats wrong with running the format the same as GT Battle. We paid the same amount as a normal track day IIRC, albeit for slightly less track time, and went out and went as fast as we could.

3 categories, FWD, RWD and 4WD. YOu had the fun on the day and then the endless and mindless internet banter fun of trying to rationalise why someone with 300+ more bhp than you was faster.

Good times
Old 13-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Ginger one. Anyone got any pics of what it looks like now?
Old 13-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Paul,
There was a post earlier this week that Lee made with pictures of what it looks like now (it's red ) .
Old 13-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
this post needs CONTEXT mark
I have reviewed my biusness this year and worked out I am spending/loosing to much money keep helping/sponsering cars to the extent that I could have biult my own car, Which is what I should have done so from the end of the year all the help stops unless I can bill for it,
Last year Kevs car won and this was effectively a track day car nothing more, He was under great pressure to step up to pro due to in some way with my name being on the side of the car which is where Kev wanted it, And as you can see his car has not progressed as much as the others who are doing a great job and this is mainy down to the funds avl on Kevs car and some also see this as a factory car which it is not,
Also I have a 8 week old Boy so next year my plan is to spend quality time with Him.

Mark
Old 13-08-2008, 03:49 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it's a shame it comes to this Mark, l can not understand why Barrie is in the club class as clearly it should be in the Pro class.

Would be nice to see you enter yourself, sure you would do well

Mike
Old 13-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I have reviewed my biusness this year and worked out I am spending/loosing to much money keep helping/sponsering cars to the extent that I could have biult my own car, Which is what I should have done so from the end of the year all the help stops unless I can bill for it,
Last year Kevs car won and this was effectively a track day car nothing more, He was under great pressure to step up to pro due to in some way with my name being on the side of the car which is where Kev wanted it, And as you can see his car has not progressed as much as the others who are doing a great job and this is mainy down to the funds avl on Kevs car and some also see this as a factory car which it is not,
Also I have a 8 week old Boy so next year my plan is to spend quality time with Him.

Mark
Obviously that will really hurt your customers that are used to getting all you help for free, but I can TOTALLY understand the business / social reasons for the decision .

I take it Kev will withdraw in 2009 given the 2008 season and the above?
Old 13-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Captain Mike
it's a shame it comes to this Mark, l can not understand why Barrie is in the club class as clearly it should be in the Pro class.

Would be nice to see you enter yourself, sure you would do well

Mike
I would love to do it as its a great series but I must say the rules on who is aloud where is a bit strange, I am sure I would not be aloud in club and I would not want to go in it as it would have to be proas thats what I am.

Mark
Old 13-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Obviously that will really hurt your customers that are used to getting all you help for free, but I can TOTALLY understand the business / social reasons for the decision .

I take it Kev will withdraw in 2009 given the 2008 season and the above?
Kev has talked about doing it next year, We have not talked about my involvment in it.

Mark
Old 13-08-2008, 03:57 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I would love to do it as its a great series but I must say the rules on who is aloud where is a bit strange, I am sure I would not be aloud in club and I would not want to go in it as it would have to be proas thats what I am.

Mark
Kev can always drop down to the MLR class and clean that up

Mike
Old 13-08-2008, 07:54 PM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

i don't think anyone will get any serious sponsorship as the coverage generated from the season is utterly wank - a badly produced slot on a niche satellite channel.

I only dread to think how much money you will have to throw at a car next year to make it competitive.

I also agree the whole classification system is a load of bollocks - Barry in club class, it just makes a laughing stock of anyone wanting to enter club class who cant afford to butcher an evo and purchase a 600hp engine. Barry isnt the only one either.

There is definitely room for a tuner series in the UK but IMHO needs stricter rules whilst at the same time letting tuners do what they do best.
Old 13-08-2008, 08:02 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do the competitors have to pay at all?

The series and every car event TOTB etc etc would be nothing without the cars competing and the orginisers make the cash from the gate so they should stop being greedy IMO
Old 13-08-2008, 09:35 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Time Attack
Andrew has some time ago had a personal invitation to compete in TA within the prototype class!!! We had a few enquiries from competitors with highly modified chassis/engined cars at the start of the year and so brought a class in for especially them but as yet no one has come up and put in an entry. I do know AG is a busy guy and perhaps dates just havent worked but hey we have one round left, at Modified Live - Snetterton October 12th, and he is as per the rest of the season welcome to enter this event.

Glen

i would like to try make this last round,, might not have the legs over the big power cars on the long snet straight!

i'll be in touch!!
Old 13-08-2008, 09:40 PM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

what tyres would i need??
Old 13-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
Why do the competitors have to pay at all?
because nobody actually goes to watch time attack

and the fact EVERY race series on the planet you have to pay for, usually a lot more than TA
Old 13-08-2008, 09:52 PM
johnny99
Regular Contributor

We compete in the Irish Time Attack with an Evo, and get small money looking after an STi for another compeditor. It's a lot more crack over here and a lot cheaper, and the banter and slagging is great. We are currently leading the series and running 397/427, on a small budget. If we were in the UK, we could not compete in club class. This may be the last year that it will be fun, as there are a few people looking at doing it next year with big budget's and rumour's of paid drivers. If this happens we will have a very hard time, as our company is fairly small. Hopefully it dosent happen.

Shouldn't time attack be simple

John
Old 13-08-2008, 10:05 PM
rs4steve
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by johnny99
We compete in the Irish Time Attack with an Evo, and get small money looking after an STi for another compeditor. It's a lot more crack over here and a lot cheaper, and the banter and slagging is great. We are currently leading the series and running 397/427, on a small budget. If we were in the UK, we could not compete in club class. This may be the last year that it will be fun, as there are a few people looking at doing it next year with big budget's and rumour's of paid drivers. If this happens we will have a very hard time, as our company is fairly small. Hopefully it dosent happen.

Shouldn't time attack be simple

John
hope it doesnt john enjoy it while it lasts

happydays
Old 13-08-2008, 10:05 PM
rs4steve
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by andrewg
what tyres would i need??
toyo r888's
Old 13-08-2008, 10:07 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

its really simple to make the cars in any class comply ...........turbo restrictors, rallying have been doing it for years.
as for not having to pay your having a giraffe, one gravel event entry fee for circa 39miles competative stage time - Ł400-Ł500 just to enter, so how much is time attack to enter ?
Old 13-08-2008, 10:15 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Rallying is different to piling thousands of people thru a gate at a track or air filed.

At TOTB i think they were expecting 3 or 4 thousand people and they all paid 20 quid each so even at 3000 thats 60k just from the gate!
Old 13-08-2008, 10:19 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Rallying is different to piling thousands of people thru a gate at a track or air filed.

At TOTB i think they were expecting 3 or 4 thousand people and they all paid 20 quid each so even at 3000 thats 60k just from the gate!

its no differant, lok at the gates to the local places they all charge, at least a Ł5 minimum, no prize money ever, whatso ever, look at the forests in wales when the WRC is on, Ł120 for the pass for the weekend, its all competative motorsport wether it be race or rallying, so how much is an entry to TA ?
Old 13-08-2008, 10:22 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

How much to the organisers make on a rally markk? WRC etc?

What if all the teams decided not to turn up?

The organisers would make fuck all and then would be at the mercy of the teams.

Wether its Santa pod or WRC the competors should not have to pay to compete.
Old 13-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Wether its Santa pod or WRC the competors should not have to pay to compete.
Where the fuck you think theyd get ther money from?

Hardly anyone goes to watch, TV coverage is little or none, sponsorship is equally small, etc etc etc
Old 13-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

exactly the way 10 of the best has gone .. the winner is normally the one with the biggest wallet....
Old 13-08-2008, 10:32 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Stav.......Markk just said its 120 quid for a weekend pass for the WRC.

If each event gets "only" 2000 spectators paying this( I think they will prob get alot more) the FIA or who ever orgainises the rally will make 240k just from the gate, plus sponsers etc etc.

So well over quarter of a mil from each event sounds good to me!

Even if it costs them 100k to put the event on they are still makeing tons of cash!
Old 13-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

That MAY be the case in WRC, but you'd be lucky getting 2000 people to pay 20quid to watch Time Attack, hence why they share events with static shows etc, and even then the gate isnt going to be much more than that.

And it sure as fuck isnt cheap to hire a race track and all the stuff that comes with it.

I dont know the details, but I know enough about how much things cost to know Andy and Glen dont do Time Attack to make loads of money.
Old 13-08-2008, 10:39 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They must almost be running close to full capacity with cars as well l would have thought, any more surely this would have to be a weekend thing?

Mike
Old 14-08-2008, 10:25 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
That MAY be the case in WRC, but you'd be lucky getting 2000 people to pay 20quid to watch Time Attack, hence why they share events with static shows etc, and even then the gate isnt going to be much more than that.

And it sure as fuck isnt cheap to hire a race track and all the stuff that comes with it.

I dont know the details, but I know enough about how much things cost to know Andy and Glen dont do Time Attack to make loads of money.

I have been to the Time Attack at Knockhill for the last 3 years and there has been way more than 2 thousand people there!

Surley the english rounds get way more?

Say 2000 people at KH at 20 quid each, thats 40 k just from the gate.

It costs 10k to hire KH for a sunday so that 30k profit staright away.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
The Ginger one. Anyone got any pics of what it looks like now?

here you go

Audi powered 450bhp. FAST.

Last edited by Porkie; 14-08-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

I have been to the Time Attack at Knockhill for the last 3 years and there has been way more than 2 thousand people there!

I went in 2007 and IMO there wasnt more than 2k people there.

And the English roads dont get much/any more, unless they shared with a show thats already pulling more than that, ie TRAX.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:40 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
I went in 2007 and IMO there wasnt more than 2k people there.

And the English roads dont get much/any more, unless they shared with a show thats already pulling more than that, ie TRAX.

I tell a lie actually I had to leave before the TA started in 2007 to go to a wedding.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:54 AM
justin.e
Advanced PassionFord User

its a fact of life in motorsport,money talks!
its always the big budget teams that are at the top of the table.....look at Citroen in the wrc or Mclaren in f1
Old 14-08-2008, 11:04 AM
justin.e
Advanced PassionFord User

As for restricting engines ect,the money just gets spent on extra testing etc..

Here's an example.I know a chap whos young lad races 100cc karts,very strict rules like any class in the uk.Before the season started they purchased 15 different engines(yes you heard right)had all the engines dynoed and picked the best six engines selling the rest off.Three new karts were purchased one for dry,one spare in case they had a prang at a meet and one stuck in the truck in wet trim in case the weather changed at a meet.
I could go on about testing,but you get the idea.....how can any Joe compete with that!!
Old 14-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i did notice the non pro class did seem to have some totally bonkers cars init @ brands obviously people have to much freaking money lol

and the pro class, i posted on another thread the tommy field car wasnt slow far from it but it was totally out gunned... by some serious weapons ! andrewg good luck your gonna need it

i wish a cossie would rock up oneday and clear up like gareth lloyd did... but then werent people moaning when he did cos it was a race car lol
Old 14-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Say 2000 people at KH at 20 quid each, thats 40 k just from the gate.

It costs 10k to hire KH for a sunday so that 30k profit staright away.

then bare in mind,insurance,stewards fee,first aid team etc etc it all adds up.
Old 14-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Kev.H

i wish a cossie would rock up oneday and clear up like gareth lloyd did... but then werent people moaning when he did cos it was a race car lol
Gareth would get murdered in his Escos now!
Old 14-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by Bullett
then bare in mind,insurance,stewards fee,first aid team etc etc it all adds up.

I would imagine a certain amount of that is included and you would have to state intended numbers of spectators.
Old 14-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by justin.e
its a fact of life in motorsport,money talks!
its always the big budget teams that are at the top of the table.....look at Citroen in the wrc or Mclaren in f1

TOTALLY agree!

can't believe you are moaning Fitzy!

you have an ex race car for a start as you say!!

Sounds like you just want the event tailored exactly for you????

Not gonna happen mate! Theres some mental cars out there and some of them are private cars!

So some people have spent loads of their own money on them??? and some people have sneaky sponsorship and more help than you??? etc etc...er AND???

Welcome to motorsport and welcome to the REAL world! Its not fair and never will be!

If you wanna compete on equalish terms, then use your car in a series (ITS A CHAMPIONSHIP RACECAR DON'T FORGET!!!)

or do stock hatch or caterham academy or similar....

Moaning because the rules don't suit YOU, or someone else has spent more money is UBERGAY!

OR.... here is a crazy suggestion....

HOW ABOUT JUST DO IT FOR FUN!?!?!?!?

You don't have to win or come close for that to happen!!!

From a spectators and organisors point of view the MADDER the cars the better in my opinion!!!

Quick Reply: Timeattack the real truth "Club class" the shake up.my views