General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Current financial situation.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Crowder
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bud-weis
we're the same...we've just ridden the storm so far, but it's getting tougher every week.

We're not poor or anything, but every bill and every single thing we pay out for is costing more, so the funds are taking a hit.

My car will probably go soon as it's a luxury i don't use much and certainly don't need!

It's gloomy times at the moment when you really start to look at it, maybe it's time to move abroad?

I know that feeling my evo had to now i'm driving a sensible civic type r

My mortgage is due in jan and its looking like another 200 a month joy!!! especially when my pay has gone down 40% in 6 months ffs!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
I know you arent on a rig, just thought you might shed some ligth on your situation and taxational liability, and further to that might have a general awareness of offshore taxation.

cheers
Feel free to PM me if you have anything further to ask .

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Money is starting to get a little tighter. I work full time, the better half only works 2.5 days a week as we have two kids (3&4) and child care would swallow any 'extra' money her going full time would make.

My mortgage is due in the next 12 months (fixed term etc) so I expect it to have increased. I pay in the region of Ł1000 a month for it. Bills are defo going up, especially food shopping.

No flash motors in our house, mine is a Ł600 quid shitter (but I do have my bike as my luxury).

We have stopped the takeaways and now shop at cheaper places.

Only small light for me is that I retire in ten years and the lump sum I receive will be about 4 times the amount I will have outstanding on the mortgage.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

life is good for me
been spending more on the car than i ever have done
but i do work for it,and i work over 65hrs per week
Old 11-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Tonks
PassionFord Regular

tough times. i read it aint going to get any better till 2010. doh
Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by Captain Mike
So April is when you go car shopping

Mike
Don't be stupid, I'm married.....

And yes, I bought my super sensible family saloon in April
Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Chipper, the 183 day rule for seafarers was hard fought to get, and deserved mate.

And anyone who gets 183 qualifying days would be stupid not to get their tax back.

N.I. is still paid though, so at least paying for NHS and so on.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
RobL

Originally Posted by Matt J
and these comments really grate on me.

people do jobs they are capable of doing, are you telling me a mechanic should just quit his job and apply to come and work with you on your money just because he needs to earn more money, regardless of whether he can do the job or not?

And if you're in negative equity on a fairly smallish place how do you propose to sell it and buy somewhere cheaper?

You're assuming its all very simple and black and white, which it may be from up there in that ivory tower.
its easy for folk with money to be telling hard up people what they should be doing
Old 11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RobL
its easy for folk with money to be telling hard up people what they should be doing
It certainly is, as if they have managed it, so can you
Old 11-08-2008, 05:07 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this because Fuel went up 40p a litre.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip
It certainly is, as if they have managed it, so can you

Chip thats a bit stinging mate, we are all not the same, some of us see things very different, whilst l agree it is not always that simple.

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

people do jobs they are capable of doing, are you telling me a mechanic should just quit his job and apply to come and work with you on your money just because he needs to earn more money, regardless of whether he can do the job or not?

And if you're in negative equity on a fairly smallish place how do you propose to sell it and buy somewhere cheaper?

You're assuming its all very simple and black and white, which it may be from up there in that ivory tower.
Does make me laugh, thankfully I am quite comfortable at the moment, but as you say, it is fairly easy when you earn 6, if not 7 figures a year .... However Porkie, if you want to PM me details of how to get into your line of work I will be MORE than happy to change jobs Seriously
Old 11-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Fagin

I'm feeling the pinch as I can't justify buying a Ł90k 997 Turbo now.

The only solice I know is that if I get in the shit, there will be a whole lot of other people in the shit way before me.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:16 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
aaroncst, some great points you're raising there. i'm extremely interested to see how immigration has had a negative economic impact on this country, could you show me some facts and figures as proof please

The key thing is the amount of money leaving our economy, You get 10 polish living in a house, splitting the rent and council tax 10 ways, then sending the majority of their earnings back to families in poland.

The pound being strong against other currencies means that the money was almost tripling when it went abroad.

This is happening on a large scale, in almost every town in the UK.

Once the money has gone its not coming back either, its not like you earn money in this country, you spend it with companies in this country, who employ people in this country who's wages are then spent with companies in this country and so it all goes round.

Then there is the additional burden on Councils because the increased population is putting a strain on resources like education, housing etc etc

Not to mention the additional strain on healthcare and policing.

Unfortunately giving access to an exploitable resource for employers here in the UK is a positive thing, it has far more negative effects than people will admit to.

So if those of you who feel its a positive thing please let me hear the case for the defence
Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 PM
kennyA

Someone on here said things might pick up again in 2010, so wait a while. Stay at home a few nights and play scrabble. Read books, why should people expect to go out all the time, using fuel, eating out, going to clubs etc. My son likes to go out to clubs, pays 5 - 10 quid to get in, thats stupid. Buy a crate of beer with some mates, have a barbie, invite the entire family, split the costs, great value.

For every Euro I earn, my nett is about 64 cents. In the UK it used to be around 69,
Chip, is it still about the same percentage? ( that example was for a salary around 35k). So in the UK I was 5% better off. Not really, everyone overcharged for everything, typical.

about 15 years ago my wife and I couldn't afford a house, so we stayed with her parents for a year until I had saved up a bit of a deposit, (in one room with 2 kids). The intention was to buy a house to live in, not to make money on.

some of the house prices in my old village are so stupid I could laugh, 200k for a house (2 bedroom) that was 48k 10 years ago. This is the kind of situation which does not help the ordinary punter.

I remember when I was 8 - 10 years old, I came home from school, mother and father was in the fields working. I got changed and then walked the 1/2 mile to find them. (they left a note saying which field). If it was cold and I was lucky I could sit in the tractor, if there was not much time I also had to cut the turnips, plant the spuds or cut the corn. My brother has still many scars, he was accident prone.

I could only afford to buy a cossie when I was 48 years old, I now use it for racing. ( I nevr borrowed money to buy cars) All my married life my wife and I bought second hand cars and we were both working back then. My best car ever was a 5 yr old Vaux cav 2.0i.

when I was over at Autosport in Jan, I was shocked by just how much I was charged in shops and supermarkets. The UK is unbelievably expensive.

that was a bit of a rant, anyone else want a go.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:31 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you spend more than you earn you are obviously going to be fucked

but lets look at the orignal problem of prices rising and peole not being able to caryr on paying for what they were able to afford a few years ago
Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I am married with two kids,if you can call them that now,ones 18 and the other soon to be 15.
When you consider we have a mortgage,a family of 4 near adults it hard work,both me and my missus work,but our bills have gone up a chunk over the last 12 months or so and im glad i got rid of my scoob last year now, at least i got a fair price for it back then.

Dont get me wrong,its not breadline yet for us,we still have a fair few ŁŁŁ left after the bills and all are payed, but it is eating away at our spare cash now.

With the gas bill due to go up nearly 35% this year along with electricity price increase of about 10%, water rates are supposed to be on the up aswell this year (unless your a seven trent customer) no doubt food will carry on up as will the petrol/diesel it really make you think wether its worth staying in the UK anymore.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

mmmm id agree with claiming what your entitled to especially if youve earned it by working previously. Im glad i got my pension to cover the mortgage as im entitled to Ł4 a week JSA

What happened to people saving for a "rainy day"??? Ive got almost 12 months of food/house hold consumables in my cupboards/cellar which im relying on to cut down my bills while im currently unemployed. Yeah its not necessarily high quality food or fresh vegetables or fresh meat but its what i need to survive!!

The real bummer with the present economics is finding work. Ive been unemployed 2 months now and despite almost 100 job applications ive had only 3 interviews and no job offers. The unskilled/retail low level market in my area is dead and higher up doesnt seem so rosey despite my good qualifications!!! Im just glad i have a couple thousand saved up to keep the bills at bay for a few months!!!!

I would be financially better off renting as i could rent cheaper and claim housing benefit for some of the rent, but id rather use the pension to pay for the house as in 25 years at least i own it and the pension money is mine.

The only other thing that pisses me off about the system is the way benfits work. My girlfriend with 2 kids for example is significantly better off not working as the childcare rates mean she would need to be earning over Ł16k before tax to make her break even. when the kids are old enough for school its not quite so bad.

The other thing that annoys me is they count a girlfriend exactly the same as if i was married to her if she wanted to live with me and with my present unemployment, she cant afford to live with me as shed loose 600 amonth in benefits and loose housing benefit all because i have a mortgage. Shame as shes stuck in a homeless hostel and i cant even do the "decent thing" and have her living with me as shed have less money for her kids. Once im working its a different story.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all those things are going up in price the world over though, not just here, so you wouldn't be much better off anywhere else!
But by the same rate? I'm sure everyone accepts inflation, but 35%?

It's already been said that we have the highest petrol prices in Europe by a considerable margin, for example. Why?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by kennyA
For every Euro I earn, my nett is about 64 cents. In the UK it used to be around 69,
Chip, is it still about the same percentage? ( that example was for a salary around 35k). So in the UK I was 5% better off. Not really, everyone overcharged for everything, typical.
Not really changed much for ages in terms of actual income tax, its just all the tax on fuel etc that is the fucking killer.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
It's already been said that we have the highest petrol prices in Europe by a considerable margin, for example. Why?
I dont know why that has been said, as to the best of my knowledge its not actually true!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I dont know why that has been said, as to the best of my knowledge its not actually true!
Apparently most of Europe is still paying the equivalent of around Ł1.00 per litre.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

theyre really really not chineese whispers and pub talk

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

But Matt, unfortunately, it is fairly black and white.

People moan about money, and then drop two month's salary on an engine rebuild, or buying shiny parts for cars to keep up with the Jones'.

Recently, I just changed my job so that I'll earn more money, got rid of all my cars, and reigned in all my spending.... and I wasn't doing badly before.

It really is that simple - want a better quality of life? Earn more, reduce necessary outgoings where possible, and enjoy a little more financial freedom.

Not being one to speak for Lee and being all arse licky, but he didn't always have cash!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Chip

Christian, I love the way you are making all these utter bollocks sweeping statements and then chanting "rip off britain" etc, has the cost of your daily sport subscription gone up by 35% as well?

Eastern europe the fuel is cheaper, but not massively so, and its BOUND to be cheaper there because the cost of wages and land for a petrol station is lower.

Our petrol is roughly same price as most equivalent countries in europe, you are talking total shite!

Last edited by Chip; 12-08-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

My car isn't a huge financial drain atall, thats the reason I still have it, but then thats probably on account of the amount of work I do myself.

I'm not really talking about the luxuries in life, I'm talking about day-to-day stuff. Childcare, how many of you know how much it costs to have your child taken care of whilst you are at work? It's unreal, so when increases happen massively above the rate of inflation its hard. We're fortunate that Beccy earns well, but why is it that our household income is reasonble and we've been able to exist comfortably for the last few years, but now its getting to the point where we are scrabbing around and having to consider both getting a second job (we both already work full-time).

I just don't understand it in this day and age.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
northerner

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Not according to this article from the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...in-Europe.html
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by northerner
Not according to this article from the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...in-Europe.html
Thats talking about rises not prices

Here's a bit of that very article talking about prices:

The price of unleaded petrol in the UK last week was 116p a litre, compared to Spain at 100p, Italy at 115p and France at 124p.
116p is hardly out of place in the company of 100p, 115p, 124p!

Last edited by Chip; 12-08-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Christian, I love the way you are making all these utter bollocks sweeping statements and then chanting "rip off britain" etc, has the cost of your daily sport subscription gone up by 35% as well?

Eastern europe the fuel is cheaper, but not massively so, and its BOUND to be cheaper there because the cost of wages and land for a petrol station is lower.

Our petrol is roughly same price as most equivalent countries in europe, you are talking total shite!
Chip, thats a bit harsh. I'm only basing that statement on a story I read on Sky news. OK, I didn't realise they make all their stories up.

So, perhaps the 30% energy price rises that have been on the news are bollocks too and we're all just making it up.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
northerner

Beaten to the info by Chip!

Last edited by northerner; 12-08-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...nment%2BTarget

No-ones arguing with Inflation, but double the rate of inflation?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you also cannot directly compare fuel costs without bearing in mind the taxation structure for car ownership, or wages in a given country!

Norway has wages coming up for double ours for instance, their cars cost twice as much because you pay a hefty tax on the purchase, but then their fuel is around and about the same and hence relatively affordable.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

I just don't understand it in this day and age.
probably because you've been used to things getting better and better and assumed that thats just how the modern world is, constantly improving.

unfortunatly it's not look at october 29th 1929! everyone thought they'd hit the bigtime and that the world could only get better!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

probably because you've been used to things getting better and better and assumed that thats just how the modern world is, constantly improving.

unfortunatly it's not look at october 29th 1929! everyone thought they'd hit the bigtime and that the world could only get better!
You're all just battering on about the old days. The world is a different place now. I'm not driving around in a Merc, I'm just expecting to be able to make ends meet within our simple lifestyle. You all seem content to roll over and watch EVERY aspect of the government and large companies cream more and more off us in the same breath as announcing bigger than ever profits etc.

I'd be content with side-stepping, but its not even that good. We're getting poorer and poorer.

Council workers staged a strike a few weeks ago moaning that they were no better off this year than last year and consequently must receive a higher payrise. Lucky them. We're considerably WORSE OFF than this time last year.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Chip

Christian, its YOU that is living in the past.

Most inteligent people have been aware for a long time that our massively over priveledged lifestyle with cheap access to the worlds resources was only going to be shortlived, so to us it isnt a surprise, and most of those inteligent people have made sure our mortgages are affordable etc for when it happened, not keep stretching ourselves then moan when that leaves us short when the inevitable happened!

So its not a case of rolling over. Its a case of having at least a vague grasp of why things were bound to go this way and hence not being so surprised by it as you.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

old days, modern days, what do you think the difference is, what do you think has happened in the world to mean history no longer applies?

companies not making profits would be DEVESTATING to the UK economy, people who moan when a company announces a profit need to open their eyes.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

old days, modern days, what do you think the difference is, what do you think has happened in the world to mean history no longer applies?

companies not making profits would be DEVESTATING to the UK economy, people who moan when a company announces a profit need to open their eyes.
so you think BP making 3 million profit a minute is fair when pump prices are ridiculous already?

Quick Reply: Current financial situation.....