General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Current financial situation.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Mike
But that is not morally right is it Chipster ??

Mike
Is this thread about morals or money?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

But that is not morally right is it Chipster ??

Mike
Would you let moral's stop you putting food in your childs mouth?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
That is true, but l know you understand what l am saying

Mike

It does amaze me my older sister earns 9.5K a year and gets by, she is about to drop a kid and works all the over time she can get to have the money for it, she has not claimed and will exhaust all her avenues before claiming, and even then will only claim what she as a tax payer is entilitled to
Old 11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Chip

Your sister is an idiot then, she should claim right now if she is entitled to tax credits or a topup or whatever.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Big G
Would you let moral's stop you putting food in your childs mouth?
Thats a good question but very much like Ginge has said and Porkie, change your lifestlye to accomadate your needs, some people walk around in fancy clothes and go out on the piss and claim they have fuck all and try and claim what they are not really entiltled to what is wrong with these fucking people nobody is entiltled to a free ride and why should they be, to many people think the world owes them a living, it is honest hard working people that get fucked.

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunketh
The only thing you can do if your house drops into negative equity is sit tight!
The flat I bought with my ex 10 years ago cost us 24k and it was HUGE.
The guy downstairs paid 80k for his years ealier and had regretted it ever since.
what a load of bollox mate, no fucking way he paied 80k for a flat 12 years ago that you then bought for 24k after, the prices of houses started going up in 96 to mental rates,,,, before this there was LOADS of right to buy propertys where people was getting 60% discounts on the OLD OUT OF DATE value of there houses, i remember foxtons ALWAYS knocking on my parents door offering to assist there " right to buy" and offering them places to rent in luton area and some cash ontop for there property and they done that ALL OVER islingtion/camden/haringay council tennents

my old man paied 12k for a 3 bedroom flat in 1990 1 mile from kingscross on right to buy,,,, and you think your neighbour paid 80k for it a few years later,,,,, even in the recession the prices of houses where NEVER worth more than 60k for a new barrett home in central london,,,, and they struggled to shift em also !
Old 11-08-2008, 03:05 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Your sister is an idiot then, she should claim right now if she is entitled to tax credits or a topup or whatever.
Oh she will do when she needs to Chip, she works hard to pay her way in life,

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Porkie
get a job that pays better or get a smaller house or find another way to decrease your outgoings.

Grates on me when people moan about all this stuff...

Move country, move to a smaller house or change jobs or get another.... you have all those options available.

So you bought a house, interest rates change and now you are struggling to afford it? er and? thats the risk you take surely?

You and your family have your health and have options and choices. Some people will kill to be as fortunate as that!

Lifes got a bit tougher? boohoo!

Wake up mate! Its still super doooper compared with most of the world!
last line says it all
Old 11-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

I like being a dirty sailor. As Mike says, it's nice to get your tax back

But, I reckon the UK will recover in 2 or 3 years. Just means less wasting money on cars and other luxurys for a while, but then, most people have been taking the piss with debt over the last 5 or so years. For instance, I work with alot of people from the south coast of england. Now, I know they earn the same as or less than me, but have 300 grand mortgages.... At 95% etc...

I know I can't afford that. So, how can they? Interest only and 30 year terms is how. Bad idea if you ask me.... Basing the whole home buying idea on making money on your house..... Which is stupid. You should base it getting a big loan for 25 years and paying it off, 1 month at a time. No matter what house your in.....

Anyways. In 3 or so years things will be better.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:08 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rab
I like being a dirty sailor. As Mike says, it's nice to get your tax back

But, I reckon the UK will recover in 2 or 3 years. Just means less wasting money on cars and other luxurys for a while, but then, most people have been taking the piss with debt over the last 5 or so years. For instance, I work with alot of people from the south coast of england. Now, I know they earn the same as or less than me, but have 300 grand mortgages.... At 95% etc...

I know I can't afford that. So, how can they? Interest only and 30 year terms is how. Bad idea if you ask me.... Basing the whole home buying idea on making money on your house..... Which is stupid. You should base it getting a big loan for 25 years and paying it off, 1 month at a time. No matter what house your in.....

Anyways. In 3 or so years things will be better.
It's even nicer to not pay it mate

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Naaaaaah, it's like a savings scheme.... You pay it every month, then once a year you get a nice cheque in April to sepnd over the summer
Old 11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rab
Naaaaaah, it's like a savings scheme.... You pay it every month, then once a year you get a nice cheque in April to sepnd over the summer
So April is when you go car shopping

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mike you comment about morals,,,, about a tax payer whos bringing a child into the world so gets a tax break to help get by,,, rather than claiming the money PLUS more in benifits which IS morally wrong,,, what about you NOT paying tax ? did you not get a education in this country, do none of you ever visit a doctor ?

people who own businesses for years where buying things to avoid paying it in tax, M3 company cars for estate agents and merc estates for owners of cornershops to go cash and carry ect ect ect

claiming what is NEEDED TO GET BUY is no less moral than accepting a loaf of bread to feed your children

i USED to feel bad about claiming it,, infact i NEVER claimed till i was on the dole and was THEN told about it when i went back to work,,,,, for 2 years i was struggling to get by and getting money off my parents to buy clothes ect when there was ALWAYS help there,,,, infact had i not given up and signed on to relook at things i may NEVER have known about it,,, THAT was a pisstake and also that its not allowed to be back dated either even though i WAS and still am entitled to it !!!

soon as shes paied better she will not need it and wont get it,,, no shame in taking whats given FOC if its worked for IMO
Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Chip

Mike not paying any tax because he is out of the country so much is perfectly legal, but I wouldnt claim its morally correct personally.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:18 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike not paying any tax because he is out of the country so much is perfectly legal, but I wouldnt claim its morally correct personally.
There is more to it then that, l actually pay tax on the interest on my savings Chip, but that does not amount to much,

but Ginge ask my other half how often l am in the country mate, not that long at all less then a month a year in reality, dont put in dont take out, l take care of my own pensions, my own health, l pay road tax on 2/3 cars and dont quibbly about it. I am not domicile in Europe for more than 6 months a year,

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:19 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

WORKING tax credit - having a kid then having it in childcare all day while I work defeats the object of having a child in the first place to me
BUT if being on one wage wasn't enough I WOULD work a job in the evenings when my partner was home.

My single mum friend had a better social life than me, the only luxury I had that she didn't was her name on the deeds, she couldn't drive so no need for a car, they only make you lazy anyway

BUT I am not pregnant so have no idea what benefits I could get, I only know that my other friend doesn't get nearly half as much as her totally dependant on benefits single parent friend because she lives with the father of her kid and apparenly he 'earns too much' BUT I have never looked into it, if I have a kid I will , fools not to take what entitled to, I have work full time paying my taxes for the last 14 years

Lee - if people could get a better paid job don't you think they would?! I don't think moving house to a smaller one would make a lot of savings by the time you take all the costs of buying and selling into account. We're good with our money and live within our means so *touch wood* haven't found any hardship yet...

We were offered a big mortgage when first started looking, but took one well within our means of affording, even accounting for future rises as you can't really predict what will happen a few years down the line, god forbid even if one of us couldn't work, it would've been crazy not to

(I have also taken on a part time job as well as my full time job to top up wages when were low years ago)

Z

Last edited by cabrio zo; 11-08-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no shame in taking whats given FOC if its worked for IMO[/quote]

That is a very valid point, if it's worked for

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Chip

Mike, you still grew up in a school system funded by tax payers, or with NHS healthcare, in world secured (partly, lol) by tax funded policemen and used the rest of our infrastructure.

Bit out of order not giving back from a moral standpoint potentially, but given the choice I would do the same!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ginge, the orl question was aimed at chip's suggestion of benefit fraud

i dont think anyone thinks tax credits are wrong!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

id say thats less morally correct considering if he god forbid ever got a serious illness he would be on the NHS for things like anyone else would

i pay more in tax each month than i get credits for so im STILL paying tax,,, though less i must admit

its ALOT worse though if i went on the dole, think i got 110 quid a week BUT my morgage was frozen till i went back to work,,, they only paied the interest NOT the actual morgage otherwise tbh i doubt i would have went back to work as it was a struggle for a few years ( though not a bad struggle,,,, just never went to the pub for a year or so and couldnt get the engine done on my cossie without buying things over time and 1 tax rebate)

my old man has seen PROPER hardship and lost hes house and business, he managed to come back with a 60 hour a week job to buy hes 12k flat and pay hes pension for hes future, ok i couldnt go college and i never had a trust fund ect ect due to no ponsing off daddy but he managed to keep a family and 2 kids going with NO education after loosing it all

tbh i doubt I could do that !
Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Phil
Jeebus

I had been saving up a few spare pennies to get the next round of fabrication done on the mk1 but at the moment i'm thinking its probably best to keep the money handy!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ginge, he's on private healthcare

still relies on the NHS for a fair bit tho IIRC? (not been on private healthcare since i was a nipper so not sure)
Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike, you still grew up in a school system funded by tax payers, or with NHS healthcare, in world secured (partly, lol) by tax funded policemen and used the rest of our infrastructure.

Bit out of order not giving back from a moral standpoint potentially, but given the choice I would do the same!
I had private education for half my school years, my farther was in the Army for 23 1/2 years and put his life on the line for this country, and he got fucked about my the DSS when he left, they told him he should live of his pension that he spent all those years putting into and let other less fortunate people get something they actaully sent him a cheque for 20p in a first class envelope, come on even you would agree thats fucked up.both my parents have paid tax all their life and through out my child hood so tell me why l should pay for what they have already paid for?

I pay for what l use now,
Old 11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Chip

I had private education for half my school years, my farther was in the Army for 23 1/2 years and put his life on the line for this country, and he got fucked about my the DSS when he left, they told him he should live of his pension that he spent all those years putting into and let other less fortunate people get something they actaully sent him a cheque for 20p in a first class envelope, come on even you would agree thats fucked up.both my parents have paid tax all their life and through out my child hood so tell me why l should pay for what they have already paid for?

I pay for what l use now,
As I said, what you are doing is perfectly legal.

I think you are somewhat under playing the extent to which you benefitted from taxpayers money though TBH.
Ironically one of the biggest benefits in a lot of people's eyes would be national security, so as a army nipper, im amazed that one seems to have missed you.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Of course he fucking cant, many of the migrants we have allowed into this country have made a massive positive contribution.

Its all the white trash council scum im paying for out of my taxes that I object to, not philopino nurses who come here and work hard doing a great job etc.
Here, here.

All the imigrants i know work bloody hard and are thankful for the opportunities this country provides. Then you see all the young, healthy british national wasters buming around drinking stella in the day time at my expense and it makes you think maybe we should deport them!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:30 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DISCLAIMER

I dont want a sslanging match, just some facts, and if mike doesnt want to, I dont expect him to answer.

What are the rules on taxation offshore Mike? IIRC if you are out of the country for more than so many days per year you dont pay tax here?

What happens if you as a uk citizen spend more than half the year in port elsewhere for instance? would you then need a visa for there and to effectively work and pay tax in that country?

I guess if youre on a fixed rig or something rather than a ship then you would count as being on british soil even if you were offshore for more than the threashold?

Say you take your ship and spend a third of the year in british waters, us waters and norwegian waters as a for instance, would you not pay tax in any of them?

cheers
Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
WORKING tax credit - having a kid then having it in childcare all day while I work defeats the object of having a child in the first place to me

Z
eh ? you think that I enjoy going to work and seeing my little one for 2 hours a day till she goes to bed in the evening then see her in the morning for a kiss before i go to work, i NEVER seen my old man when i was growing up, he worked 12 hour shifts and done alot of nights due to the extra wages involved,,,, you think he WANTED to do that ??

having a child is not about having a pet, its about keeping the world going for the future,, THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE HERE IS TO HAVE CHILDREN FFS, imagine if your parents thought " why should i have kids if i have to work to pay for them ",,,,, none of us WORKING CLASS people would be here,,, then who would do the work for the middle classes to enjoy seeing there children ???

having children is the ONLY good thing ive ever done tbh, all the things people see and think of me will never change,,,,, the way ive brought my child up ( ok the missus) shows that im not the looser/non achiving fucker everyone thinks of me and the fact she can speak some words on turkish/french/spanish at 5 years old aswell as cant read/write some words and now is doing addition shows that even a tool like me can do the something

honestly theres nothing im REALLY proud of apart from my little one
Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

why would that start a slagging match, it's all perfectly normal questions

i'm interested too
Old 11-08-2008, 03:33 PM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
why would that start a slagging match, it's all perfectly normal questions

i'm interested too
because this is PF
Old 11-08-2008, 03:33 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As I said, what you are doing is perfectly legal.

I think you are somewhat under playing the extent to which you benefitted from taxpayers money though TBH.
Ironically one of the biggest benefits in a lot of people's eyes would be national security, so as a army nipper, im amazed that one seems to have missed you.
I do think though this goverment treats the armed forces very very poorlly which is a great shame,

I understand what you are saying Chip, however as you are aware l am perfectly legal in what l am doing, l pay the tax that is asked of me by the EU and thats that.

One day l will return to the UK and play the game and pay what is required,

i am interested to know what you think would be fair for me to do based on what l do for a living and how very little l use of the countrys services, based on the fact that l am not allowed in the country for a large part of the time in order to be considered non resident

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
DISCLAIMER

I dont want a sslanging match, just some facts, and if mike doesnt want to, I dont expect him to answer.

What are the rules on taxation offshore Mike? IIRC if you are out of the country for more than so many days per year you dont pay tax here?

What happens if you as a uk citizen spend more than half the year in port elsewhere for instance? would you then need a visa for there and to effectively work and pay tax in that country?

I guess if youre on a fixed rig or something rather than a ship then you would count as being on british soil even if you were offshore for more than the threashold?

Say you take your ship and spend a third of the year in british waters, us waters and norwegian waters as a for instance, would you not pay tax in any of them?

cheers
No i am not on a rig, i am on a Cayman Island flagged yacht that spends less than 6 months in the EU and is never in the same place for more then a few months at most

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:39 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Originally Posted by Ginge !
eh ? you think that I enjoy going to work and seeing my little one for 2 hours a day till she goes to bed in the evening then see her in the morning for a kiss before i go to work, i NEVER seen my old man when i was growing up, he worked 12 hour shifts and done alot of nights due to the extra wages involved,,,, you think he WANTED to do that ??

having a child is not about having a pet, its about keeping the world going for the future,, THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE HERE IS TO HAVE CHILDREN FFS, imagine if your parents thought " why should i have kids if i have to work to pay for them ",,,,, none of us WORKING CLASS people would be here,,, then who would do the work for the middle classes to enjoy seeing there children ???

having children is the ONLY good thing ive ever done tbh, all the things people see and think of me will never change,,,,, the way ive brought my child up ( ok the missus) shows that im not the looser/non achiving fucker everyone thinks of me and the fact she can speak some words on turkish/french/spanish at 5 years old aswell as cant read/write some words and now is doing addition shows that even a tool like me can do the something

honestly theres nothing im REALLY proud of apart from my little one
I don't think you get what I was saying. My Dad worked all the hours too, then my Mum would work nights.

If we had a child we would rely on my partners wages - I've been told I would get better benefits if worked, hence I say if I was at work whilst paying someone else to look after my kid it would defeat the object, unless I worked evenings. If I have a baby I want to bring it up, but seems I would be worse off financially if I did that as I have a partner? BUT this is going by my friends circumstances, I haven't a clue about benefits

Z
Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
The point is that when we took our house on, which is not anything that unusual, it was well within our budget, but now, 4 years later we can barely afford it.
Christian did you take you house on 4 years ago and had a mortgage I take it ? Have you re mortgage since and taken some equity out of the house to say do it up or extend it ?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

what a load of bollox mate, no fucking way he paied 80k for a flat 12 years ago that you then bought for 24k after,
Obviously I wasnt clear.
When I moved in to the same block (not the same flat) 10 years ago I paid 24k for an identical flat.
I dont know when he moved in, certainly not 2 years prior, all I know is that he couldnt sell at the time because of negative equity.
The 80k figure is one he banded about, not something I've made up as Mr Billy Bullshit or anything like that.
The same flat today is 110k.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
ginge, he's on private healthcare

still relies on the NHS for a fair bit tho IIRC? (not been on private healthcare since i was a nipper so not sure)
jim thats a CHOICE, my missus went private for a appointment when she might have had cancer paied for BY ME not even fucking bupa and cost me 270 quid to be told they aint got a clue what the nhs specialist was looking at as theres nothing there !

my little one has problems with her ears, for 8 months we have been going to a doctor to be told " its a ear infection, kids get em alot" she started refusing to go to school due to the dinner hall being too loud for her ear so after the cancer scare we went to another private specialist paied 200 quid to be told her ear drum is pressed in, cant see how they missed that and theres loads of inflamation around it,,,,,, now shes gonna have ANOTHER appointment at the cost of 350 quid to then look into getting a opperation ( though on the Nhs im glad to say) to sort out her ears

i PERSONALLY am a member of bupa, due to my back issues and also get a good deal through my life insurance/gym membership/pension in the deal

i accept that when the missus goes to work we are gonna loose the tax breaks i got, its part of life

my comment was the " not morraly correct" he made,,,,, OBV i take that personally being that i claim some tax credits given to me based on my income and NOT my outgoings which is nice for once

i also have had a private pension ive been paying 35 quid a week into since i was 17 years old which means i wont need my state pension but i still have to pay the stamps dont i
Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM
alistairolsen

No i am not on a rig, i am on a Cayman Island flagged yacht that spends less than 6 months in the EU and is never in the same place for more then a few months at most

Mike
I know you arent on a rig, just thought you might shed some ligth on your situation and taxational liability, and further to that might have a general awareness of offshore taxation.

cheers
Old 11-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE HERE IS TO HAVE CHILDREN FFS
Really,
I honestly feel sorry for the kids of today being brought into a shithole of a world that the human race is fucking up,
Terrorism, climate change, Bullshit Britain etc,

You think I want to breed and be responsible for bringing a child into this shit, fuck that.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
I don't think you get what I was saying. My Dad worked all the hours too, then my Mum would work nights.

If we had a child we would rely on my partners wages - I've been told I would get better benefits if worked, hence I say if I was at work whilst paying someone else to look after my kid it would defeat the object, unless I worked evenings. If I have a baby I want to bring it up, but seems I would be worse off financially if I did that as I have a partner? BUT this is going by my friends circumstances, I haven't a clue about benefits

Z

your ALWAYS gonna be better off working, when i went back to work i got a extra 60 quid or something a week ontop of my tax credits for 3 months or 6 months just to get back into work as i was JUST over 6 months out of work ( boy did that time fly )

even if your 30 quid up you will ALWAYS be better off, going to work is important for the brain too, the missus does volentry work at my little ones school to keep her mind working whilst shes been looking for a job, she could have worked in tescos ect but she has a qualifacation she done when she was looking after my little one so she can have a decent job when she goes back and she seems to have found one and will be paied more that me AND a pension,, when shes back at work we will be better off ASLONG as we can find some childcare that we can afford ( seriously the government aint thought of this one, they recomend she does a part time job but she cant anoyingly)
Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Big G
Really,
I honestly feel sorry for the kids of today being brought into a shithole of a world that the human race is fucking up,
Terrorism, climate change, Bullshit Britain etc,

You think I want to breed and be responsible for bringing a child into this shit, fuck that.

breeding is the only reason we are here, everything else is just to keep us ammused for the years between being born/having a child and bringing them up

NOT having a child wont help anything, infact the issues with this country not being english aint gonna be helped with english people working to enjoy there lives and other race's who work to pay for there familys, my kickboxing coach works 2 jobs to pay to live, hes got a shittty car and pays hes rent, hes saving for hes familys future and working hard for it, fair play to him tbh
Old 11-08-2008, 04:04 PM
pau1rs

well as a family we are finding it hard to make ends meets...

selling the fiesta as we cannot afford to run 2 cars anymore...

every month currently spending more than we bring in...

now we live in housing association rented flat, where our rent is i`m sure much less that alot of you mortages,

also with 1 littlen and another on the way things will only get harder.. my o/h only works 2 days a week as it`s not finacially better to pay child care...

i wish i`d not wasted so much on the rs over the years leaving me with still some debt and loans i still got 2 years to pay off,,,

o/t is being cut down in every place including mine.. so another added pressure

i really feel sorry for the people paying £1000 mortgages,, looks like things can only get worse,,,

Quick Reply: Current financial situation.....