General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Why is life so cruel to the kind? :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Why is life so cruel to the kind? :(

Anyone who knows us will know that all my missus Nicole really wanted out of life was to buy her own horse.. and ultimately after much hard work and struggling, she did do, earlier this year. And it turned her life around for her..

That horse has become her most precious thing in this life, and he has of course become part of our family with both me and the kids loving him as you would expect, but not as much as he has become a part of Nicole, who spends a minimum of 3hrs a day 7 days a week with him. You can quite accurately say "That horse is her life".

A month or so ago he developed a liver disease that had had him rolling on teh floor in agony.. the vets did their best and said he will most likely be ok, but with a weakened liver he would be more susceptible to diseases etc, and Nicole must treat him very carefully to avoid exposure to diseases etc etc...

Yesterday he had a bad attack and needed heavy sedation, but the sedative wasnt working and he was rolling around in the stable in agony, with enough sedative and morphine inside him to make him unconscious, but the pain just kept on attacking him... Nicole stayed with him all day and night at the stable..

At 2:15am ish i got a call from a distraught Nicole and got a cab to the stables 15miles away to be with her (Id been drinking you see) at 3am this Morning, Nicole had to hold Paddys head still whilst the vet put him to sleep. Nicole had made the decision to end his suffering. It was also the hardest thing i have ever had to watch in my life, watching something so big and so strong fall to teh floor and die, although he did look at peace when the time finally came. God only knows what its done to poor Nicole's soul. R.I.P Paddy.

Why does this happen to the nicer people and creatures in this life, whilst muderers and child abusers walk the earth healthy and free as can be? Paddy was teh most gentle creature you could ever meet. A real gentle giant

Although losing a horse is soul destroying, the worst part for me by far is that Nicole's life is destroyed and i cant bear to watch her in this much pain when theres nothing i can do to help her. Life fooking sucks

P.s.
Happy birthday Stu.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:59 AM
apples24
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tis v true, but the best way to think is he is no longer suffering, liver disease even if treatable prob would of made the rest of his life uncomftable

seing it in pain like that and was getting worse it was the most humain thing to do and atleast he has no more pain
Old 05-11-2004, 08:05 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear this stu. Life is cruel mate.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

R.I.P Big Fella:

Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

'tis true. only the good die young.

sad news for you all stu.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

feel for all of you
and sometimes life do feel that the good ones have the hardest life
Old 05-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats terrible. I can imagine how Nicole must be feeling. Its so easy to get so attached to your 'Pets' and to watch a huge animal such as a horse in such pain must be terrible.

Our thoughts are with you guys......
Old 05-11-2004, 08:16 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Awwwwww, Stu, Nicole, I feel for both of you, as I told you earlier this week, we lost a cat a couple of years ago in similar circumstances and it still hurts.

I wish I could give both of you a biiiiiiiiiiiiig hug, but you're too far away, so here

Life sucks indeed, remember that you/nicole did your very best for Paddy and it didn't work out, don't blame yoursleves, there are things in life one cannot control unfortunately.

<- can't have too many of those.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:20 AM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Gutted for all of you

As said its bad enough losing a dog or cat,can't imagine watching a horse pass away.

Life is cruel as fook,one of my mates dads is in the later stages of M.S,not nice.
He used to run the local cub scout group etc,when he asks why is it him thats got
this illness and not murderers,paedophiles etc,what the fook do you say

R.I.P Paddy.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

happened to my mum's horse...

unfortunately it hurt her so much, she gave it all up completely.

sad but true...

however its like all losses... time does help
Old 05-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Advanced PassionFord User

Thats such a shame mate, my mum and sisters are well into horses and we own a few. My mum was renting a field to keep them in along with some other peoples horses that were paying my mum to use the field. Anyways one night some little bastards set one of the horses on fire with lighter fluid or something. THe horse has some big scars and will never fully trust a human again. Cant believe some ppl would do that kinda thing it makes me sick.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:33 AM
B19-TRB
Professional Waffler

Not a lot I can say fella!

Give Nicole my love!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Chipperx2

Sorry to hear thamate Looks a top horse as well Best thing to do IMO tho u did a good thing
Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

our words wont make you feel any better , but just know that our sympathy is with you both . some of us do see our pets as family members so it must be like losing a child .
this world isnt fair stu , and i for one will be 1st in line at the gates of heaven to give god a fucking good kicking , i,l land a few in for you m8
Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so sad. My sisters were exactly the same, it was their life wish to have a horse too. In the end they got one and shared her. I know exactly how you mean about it becoming part of the family, cause at first I really wasnt interested but found myself going to the field every morning for them to feed it in the snow and ice when it was too cold for them before school. Then my parents split up and the horse when with my step mum and sisters never to be seen again.
I know its not the same as losing one to a horrible desease, but I still left a big loss.
I have always said sometimes people seem to get more attached to their pets than people sometimes (not in a bad way!).
I hope you can both get through it and maybe get another one?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I am very very sorry for both of you

R.I.P paddy
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know what you mean Stu, because of my cancer we've had 4 failed IVF cycles at huge cost, and then teenagers are dropping unwanted sprogs for fun
Old 05-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

If you think a change of scenary will maybe help you two a little, please feel free to come down and stay with me this weekend.... wish I could do something more to ease the pain
Old 05-11-2004, 08:43 AM
mk5cos
Regular Contributor

sorry to hear this, i know how you can get attached to your pets......
Old 05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My sincere condolences to you and Nicole

My mother kept horses from the age of 16

She had two die from memory, although I was quite young at the time I remember how devastated she was.

I think the relationship you build with a horse is very special, don't know how to explain it but it seems stronger than with a normal pet like a cat or a dog.

Very, very sorry.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:10 AM
JesseT
PassionFord Post Troll

I feel terrible for you three Life can be cruel and random at times but one must not give in.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Feel for you all Stu,I really do.I hope the pain fades quickly for you all.I got a dog and have had him for 14 yrs,since he was 5 weeks old and he is goin blind and deaf and on heart tablets but I know when the time comes it would be impossible to let him go coz he has been my best mate all this time.I wouldnt be able to go out for weeks I imagine.Really feel for you mate.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Ian M

sorry to hear this stu he was a grand horse. its allways hard losing a pet i,ve just had to have my old lurcher put to sleep and its the one thing i hate about keeping animals but sometimes its the kindest thing to do.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Ian2wdsaffcos

Gutting

Please tell Nicole we're all thinking of her
Old 05-11-2004, 09:16 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Gutted for you guys - but the best thing is that he is not suffering any more. Time will heal.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Oh man

My missus works at some stables and she's always upset when one of their horses gets put down...

Sounds like it was the kindest thing, but what an awful decision to make!

Neil.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:26 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Really sorry for you and Nicole...

Life is so cruel

alex
Old 05-11-2004, 09:32 AM
MrsFrog
PassionFord Post Troll

sorry... can't speak...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:35 AM
BigNige

Stu life does sometimes suck , I know that for sure

Thoughts are with Nicole adn you , Like porkie said if you need some time away i have a room here if you need it too

Nige
Old 05-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Life is a bitch mate and always seems to treat the good peeps with a bad hand

Hope Nicole is ok and thougths go out as i know how attached u can get to these animals!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:41 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Gutted for Nicole that's a raw break.

While her time with Paddy was short it sounds like it was increadably special, and while it seems over too quickly he got the love and attention only a person like her could give in in the most important time of his life. It is not the whole of our time that counts but how we enjoy the moments.

She is also lucky to have someone like you in her life Stu.

R.I.P Paddy
Old 05-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Very sorry to hear this Stu.

My partner Rachel is very into horses and we now have one and like you say they become a part of the family. They are very aware animals who react to the people around them and you do get a very strong bond with them.

Please pass on my upmost sympathy to Nicole as I really can appreciate how tough it is.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Petrucci
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 05-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Nikki
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu Im so sorry to hear about Paddy
Please give Nicole a HUGE huggles from me! In all honesty Ive actually got fooking tears in my eyes here

I know what shes going through huni & its crap! I've been round horses and riding, show jumping, hunter trialing since the age of 3. Horses are fooking fantastic animals,,,and most gentle giants!

My Auntie breeds Arabs Stunning animals, her stallion which she used to use to mate all the mares, had a fall coming back from the paddock one day, he was fooking huge however a bird spooked him and he reered up & fell on his back

Anyone whos into the horse scene will know this is Very dangeous for a horse
The vet was rushed in and sadly Niagra had to be put to sleep! Fooking heart breaking I'll tell ya! Absolute stunning animal and just cos he got a lil scared at something so tiny,,,,,his life was taken from him!
He was like part of the family too,,,,loosing him was the worst!

It don't even come down to cost with them either at the end of the day I mean Sardie was worth near on Ł20k because of his breed, family back ground and all that! But nothing seemed to matter then when his lying on the stable floor with no life left in him

May Paddy RIP,,,,,,I'm sure Sardie will take care of him
Old 05-11-2004, 11:24 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

My Auntie breeds Arabs
Like we don't have enough of an immigration problem

But nah, on a serious note I'm well saddened to hear about this Stu and my thoughts go to you and your family. I remember losing my cat last year to cancer. It was awful, having to have my mum ring me up in tears telling me poor Cassy had cancer. She went in to see her and give her a bit of a goodbye stroke one last time before she was put to sleep. It still makes me cry even now when I think about that day and my beloved cat. Got her when I was 11 years old and she was with us for 11 years in all.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheeeeeet Stu, sorry to hear that mate. *Anna* and i send our thoughts to you and Nicole, Gone but never forgotten eh?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its an awful state of affairs stu/nicole

been there done that and totally understand, i held my 18 month old cat as they injected him to end his pain you watch them grow and develop, they get ill (mine got FIP which is the feline equivalent of aids though not contageous) and you then have to take the decision and watch them die heartwrenching shit, simply awful. you both know it HAD to be done though as its no life to have no quality of life. makes you wonder at times why we have to watch our relatives suffer until they stop rather than being able to "pull the plug"

painful angering and head fucking are a few choice words

you all have my sympathies

matt
Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for the kind words guys, i am devastated tbh, horses are my career and hobby, i've just passed my exams with the BHS, and now i cannot face thinking about a future with horses.

I've worked so hard to buy paddy, and now to have him ripped away from me i am gutted. You do get a special bond with them, Paddy was beaten up badly before i got him and was very head shy. months of hard work and eventually he trusted me almost 100%. I feel i have let him down as i couldnt save him
To have to sit back and watch something so big and gentle in that much pain is something i never want to do Ever again.

Thanks again for your comments, it does help.

Thanks to Lee for the offer at the weekend, will see how i get on, thanks huni

RIP Mr Paddy xxxxx
Old 05-11-2004, 12:33 PM
jomarcoz
Part of the Furniture

very sorry to hear this
feel for you all

Quick Reply: Why is life so cruel to the kind? :(