General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

russia/georgia

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 PM
baker p
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default russia/georgia

Anyone think this could escalate ?
just watching it on the news , russia look like they mean business.
I recon it would give bush a good reason (appart from obvious) to kick off, from russia causing a fuss about that bloody defensive system that was gona be built in poland.
then we get dragged in... fucking middle east side with russia...etcetc
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 PM
as355f1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i was thinking the same thing
Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nah, America are stupid but not the stupid, Georgia started it hoping that nato would back them but i think they'll tell them where to go as they could/will be trouble for the council.

To close to home for us to get invlolved, if the rest of the world is sensible they will let them fight there own battle.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM
baker p
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
Nah, America are stupid but not the stupid, Georgia started it hoping that nato would back them but i think they'll tell them where to go as they could/will be trouble for the council.

To close to home for us to get invlolved, if the rest of the world is sensible they will let them fight there own battle.
hope so
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

let them sort it out themselves. were already stretched to the limit sorting out the worlds problems whilst others do fook all to help.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

georgia wanted to join Nato not so long back,just think what might have happened then?!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by st3v3
georgia wanted to join Nato not so long back,just think what might have happened then?!
britain and usa carry the can whilst most of the rest bottle out.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

fuzzy, thats not actually true, thats just what the news shows us... lol
Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Georgia are very on "our" side, have forces in Iraq and Afganistan, and being the country beenween Russia and Turkey, are a kinda important place.

No way Russia will take the country though as it will cause too much shit. They will let the breakaway reigions involved, who have been broken away for years anyhow, to stay on their own, but thats it. Unless they mental.

And TBH I dont think theyd be capable of anything else without a SERIOUS effort thatd fuck em right up.

They cant even handle Chechnya without getting properly massacred in the process, and Georgia has a decent and advanced millitary, so it'd be a proper mission to take them I reckon.

Shame if Georgia gets fucked up in the process, but dont think Russia will take over Georgia, and dont think USA or UK will join in either. No way.

And TBH I think Russia knows as well as everyone else, that all the countries near by are on Georgias side, ie Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Poland, etc, and are much more likely to kick off with Russia on Georgias side than UK or USA to be honest.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
fuzzy, thats not actually true, thats just what the news shows us... lol
sorry. i didnt realise you had a hotline to the UN. i can only comment on what i see on the news
Old 10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
sorry. i didnt realise you had a hotline to the UN. i can only comment on what i see on the news

PMSL that did make me laugh!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

brilliant
Old 10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhys
PMSL that did make me laugh!
Class
Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i aint really been watching the news but why have russia attacked them?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by mechanic28
i aint really been watching the news but why have russia attacked them?
there a couple of bits in georgia, on the border with russia, where the people dont wanna be part of georgia, and would prefer to be part of russia.

its always kicked off for years between georgia and those two bits, and russia always tries to "protect" its citizens in those parts by kicking off back.

its just another one of them, but russia are kicking off a bit more than usual, airstrikes way in to georgia itself etc this time.

the bit its mostly over now is even more related to russia as its "south" whatever its called that is part of georgia, and "north" whatever its called is still russia.

its a properly small bit, and they have been broke away from russia for a decade or so, id jus tell em to fuck off and jus go down the pub if i was georgia
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ah ok a kind of northern ireland
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

and not forgetting the oil pipeline that the russians want to put out of action that runs through georgia that supplies the west. also russia have allegedly been looking for an excuse to give them a good kicking because georgia had applied to join the UN
Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 PM
AndyBrew

because georgia had applied to join the UN
I wonder if jim knows how that application is progressing?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by AndyBrew
I wonder if jim knows how that application is progressing?
i believe they are discussing it with him now.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

pisstake all you like, youre still uninformed... lol

britain's involvement in international policy and troop deloyments are naff all compared to most nations. but since we all get UK news obviously we get to hear about what little we do do.

the only reason we have any real say in the world anymore is that we've got nukes, if we didnt have those we'd be about as significant as iceland
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

so countries like france , germany, holland etc contribute more to UN peacekeeping than the uk? i dont think so.
much like we punch way over our weight in the amount of cash we contribute to the EU per head of population as well .
Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

so countries like france , germany, holland etc contribute more to UN peacekeeping than the uk? i dont think so.
from what i've seen a lot of countries we never ever hear about, from eastern europe and further afield, do more than we do.

"The 10 main troop-contributing countries to UN peacekeeping operations as of March 2007 were Pakistan (10,173), Bangladesh (9,675), India (9,471), Nepal (3,626), Jordan (3,564), Uruguay (2,583), Italy (2,539), Ghana, Nigeria and France."

"Through April 2008, 2,468 people from over 100 countries have been killed while serving on peacekeeping missions. Many of those came from India (127), Canada (114) and Ghana (113)."

Like Jim said, they make a BIG DEAL about UK stuff as we in the UK, but in reality, the newspapers and tv dont tell you fuck all.
It seems WAY more people killed in the last 6 months from other countries than the UK has in the WHOLE fucking Iraq conflict!

Even non UN peacekeeping stuff, ie just invading somewhere for the crack, like Iraq, the UK only has 4000 troops, even fucking GEORGIA has 2000 over there! The UK is fuck all, just our newspapers make a big deal about it, and we are historically bigtime. Not any more. The UK is what RS Cossies are to the modified car scene.

In fact, considering the fact nobody really agrees with the current Iraq thing, South Korea has about 1000, Poland had about 1000, pretty much every Eastern European nation has some over there, even fucking El Salvador, Khasakstan (not inc Borat ) and MONGOLIA have troops helping out

Last edited by Stavros; 10-08-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

much like we punch way over our weight in the amount of cash we contribute to the EU per head of population as well .
did you base that on ASSUMPTION or fact?

remember, the SUN newspaper is not a reliable source of information
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM
escos-jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
there a couple of bits in georgia, on the border with russia, where the people dont wanna be part of georgia, and would prefer to be part of russia.

its always kicked off for years between georgia and those two bits, and russia always tries to "protect" its citizens in those parts by kicking off back.

its just another one of them, but russia are kicking off a bit more than usual, airstrikes way in to georgia itself etc this time.

the bit its mostly over now is even more related to russia as its "south" whatever its called that is part of georgia, and "north" whatever its called is still russia.

its a properly small bit, and they have been broke away from russia for a decade or so, id jus tell em to fuck off and jus go down the pub if i was georgia
Yer dead right mate.....I've said it all along. Thats the problem with the middle east, they've got no boozers!!!!

Set up a chain of weatherspoons and everyone will be friends again.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by escos-jim
Set up a chain of weatherspoons and everyone will be friends again.
until closing time
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

I beleive Russia are really smart, while the west has been wrapped up in it's own affairs and conflicts over the last 15 years, they have been quietly rebuilding an empire that could quite easily take on the rest of the world.

Russia and Georgia have to finish this thelmselves, if the US or any other NATO force was to get involved than this could escalate big time, and who's betting that the Koreans and the East are watching on to support the countries that fight against NATO.

WWII started with the invasion of a small country and this has all the making's of another, I just hope it fizzes out otherwise I'm building an Anderson shelter at the weekend
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 AM
fish99

I think you may need something more than an anderson shelter if the Russians launch a nuke lol
Old 12-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

We'll do fuck all about this because:
a) there is not enough oil in georgia to interest the americans
b) the russians can actually fight back

The only reason we go to war these days IMHO is fuck all to do with humanitarianism and all to do with political gain and financial gain, I see none of those gains to be had in this conflict so bush wont bother, and if he doesnt we wont follow along like a little lap dog.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
fish99

Originally Posted by Chip
We'll do fuck all about this because:
a) there is not enough oil in georgia to interest the americans
b) the russians can actually fight back

The only reason we go to war these days IMHO is fuck all to do with humanitarianism and all to do with political gain and financial gain, I see none of those gains to be had in this conflict so bush wont bother, and if he doesnt we wont follow along like a little lap dog.
Totally agree with you... didnt we go to war with iraq after it invaded Kuwait?

I was watching the Georgia president yesterday and I just had the feeling he just wanted to say " Come on you helped Kuwait when it was invaded so help us".
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

WW3 on the cards??
Im not very clued up on this stuff but people at work keep talking about it
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 AM
fish99

Originally Posted by DanCossie
WW3 on the cards??

I dont think it will go that far... I reckon we will end up putting in some peace keepers or something then it will just fizzle out.

I think Russia are not as stupid as people take them for. They know our armed forces / America etc are stretched as we are fighting wars all over the place. I dont believe the reasons Russia gave for the invasion for a minute as I think this was planned a long time ago.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCossie
WW3 on the cards??
Nah, bollocks to that, we wont see another world war anytime soon, as a world war means a nuclear war, and that means everyone loses.
The idiots in power arent quite *that* stupid, as they are all obsessed with money and power, and if nearly everyone dies, they wont have as much of either.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:07 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Chip
Nah, bollocks to that, we wont see another world war anytime soon, as a world war means a nuclear war, and that means everyone loses.
The idiots in power arent quite *that* stupid, as they are all obsessed with money and power, and if nearly everyone dies, they wont have as much of either.
fair enough mate...very good point..so the next person that mentions it i will throw a stapler at them
Old 13-08-2008, 01:56 PM
tranquill
Virgin

Here the news: http://samsonblinded.org/news/govern...te-russia-2647 Israelis supply weapons to Georgia!