General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mad Rod back at the dyno today

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
glancy2081
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
No its not boost lifting it as such, its cylinder pressures lifting it, boost is only one of many things that effect cylinder pressures, timing in particular.

It was running no more boost (well within 1 psi) at any point on the new inlet than it was on the old one, it made a lot more power though, and im sure had a similiar percentage rise in cylinder pressures, and thats what has seemingly killed it.
there is ways you could measure the stretch of the bolts to see if it is bolt stretching issue
Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah crud, sorry, just read the WHOLE topic, which is pretty long. Shame to hear of your missfortunes, but I'm in no doubt you'll be able to rectify those issues and continue on to your goal top MPH run (just remembered that's what you normally do )
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What power is that fibreglass probe running?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

With 2 failures so similar I would not only be looking at the HG and would rule out clamping issues.

Just looking at what other people use as gaskets is not the whole story as many do the clamping differently including long studding, torquing methods etc etc. Many ways to skin a cat so to speak and some are doing things way off the radar to what ford or mountune advise.

Would it be worth checking the head bolt torque after say getting up to 700/750hp of your usual routine as it is good up to here and seeing where it is at?

Couple of crap comments are just that. This public stuff is fresh air to an old forum community.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
PF Dave

Mark, how many studs do you use?

In answer to the Norwegian car h/g question; last time I asked that out there and saw some of their engines being built they were actually using coopers rings or a custom version of them for the actual cylinder head/block sealing and then another form of gasket for the rest of the oil / water.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PF Dave

In answer to the Norwegian car h/g question; last time I asked that out there and saw some of their engines being built they were actually using coopers rings or a custom version of them for the actual cylinder head/block sealing and then another form of gasket for the rest of the oil / water.

tommy field was talking to one of my workmates at totb, he also mentioned something like this, but the way it was explained to me was that it protruded into the top of the cylinder slightly (obviously the bore would be machined), and was in a kind of 'L' shape on its side so it's pretty much impossible to push out.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Dave

10 studs, I will be looking at the gasket first to see if it looks like a gasket problem first then look at the studs and clamping,
The last gasket showed signs of head lift but we was running 25dg ign so this would most likely be the cause of the lift,
I used the same ign this time on race as I did on pump last time so not expecting the same kind of lift as we had last time,
I feel the most likely cause was this type gasket was not as strong as the WRC we used before.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MD Cos
tommy field was talking to one of my workmates at totb, he also mentioned something like this, but the way it was explained to me was that it protruded into the top of the cylinder slightly (obviously the bore would be machined), and was in a kind of 'L' shape on its side so it's pretty much impossible to push out.
That is not new infact my RS500 had this over 10years ago, but back then you had to depts of machining and most leaked out the side of the water ways on the gasket, Then the WRC gasket came along and pretty much took over and no machining of the blocks needed,
To get these to fit the mountune liners would create a problem with the nicasil liners and would need to be custom made something I want to avoid.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
COZ!!!!
Ford -The power of dreams

sorry to her about the failure. hopw u find a suitable gasket. Say if the next gasket copes with 800 plus. Whats gonna happen with 250 bhp worth of NOS?????????????
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Which was pretty much my question about how did it survive with the nos last time it did a fast run?

RW
Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
The 2 graphs taken today.
The pump map was on the RS500 inlet & so theres more to come from this im sure. This was a conservative map just as Mark wanted.
The first race fuel (109ron) figures saw 758bhp again with boost & ignition on the conservative side, fairly clear that the RS500 inlet had found its limits.
The inlet was changed & saw a 40bhp gain with 30torque on race.
This was the second session of our R&D being done in public & overall im happy with the response, it seems to work, only a few saddo's being negative. With the gains seen today Mark is happy with the engine spec & so sealing the gasket is now the priority, before you ask, yes there will be a part 3 to this saga in the not to distant future, with 750 pump & 800 race the targets which now seem very attainable.
Cheers Rod
If the head gasket is all thats wrong a WRC will be fitted & the car used on the pump fuel map at Fighting Torque. Pump fuel should be 750+ on the new plenum & with our Nitrous adding circa 250bhp we wont be short of Power.

Rod I like your attitude mate down to earth and soundi know u will sort it

Regards

Paul
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Doby
Banned

Can i ask a very rude question......do you think this would of happened at 7.5-1 comp ratio?

JG is the key to your dilemma IMO.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
Starting to lose me a bit Chip.

How would you apply the pressure for longer?

longer stroke engine?
Change the rod ratios (Conrods not rod tarrt ) or offset crank journals.

Alex
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Would dry-decking the engine help?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
That is not new infact my RS500 had this over 10years ago, but back then you had to depts of machining and most leaked out the side of the water ways on the gasket, Then the WRC gasket came along and pretty much took over and no machining of the blocks needed,
To get these to fit the mountune liners would create a problem with the nicasil liners and would need to be custom made something I want to avoid.

Mark

cheers for the reply mark, i'm obviously not going to teach you to suck eggs, but i thought it'd be worth a mention at least

hope you get it sorted
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Doby
Can i ask a very rude question......do you think this would of happened at 7.5-1 comp ratio?

who is or what is JG?

Julian Godfrey?

RW
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Doby
Banned

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
who is or what is JG?

Julian Godfrey?

RW
Yes.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Doby

Its not rude If you look at the data the first failuer of the gasket can be put down to to much ign causing the problem with 120ron fuel, I would have put as much in if not more on a 7.5-1 engine,
The second gasket problem until I see it its currently only a guess but I belive the gasket is not as strong as the WRC one used before and on this one running 8.4-1 comp on race fuel 109 ron I used no more ign than on pump at 7.9-1 I use pre,
Most likely action will be check for faults/problem change gasket and most likely change head bolts also to a diff type,
There's no need to bother JG I think I should have a handle on this very soon

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Which was pretty much my question about how did it survive with the nos last time it did a fast run?

RW
Clearly a few things are diff, I have posted the changes being made and whats most likely caused the problems,
But this engine does have prob 100hp and 80fltb more than the last engine and over a much wider band also which high cyl pressures so the smallest issuse is a big one.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

mark/rod/chip forgive me if this seems a stupid question,but how much testing of the headgasket will take place on the dyno before your happy to install the engine into the car.i hope your luck changes soon,love the thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

All i'm gonna say to you Mark & Rod is

We all know your'll crack it soon enough !!

jb
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by james kiely
mark/rod/chip forgive me if this seems a stupid question,but how much testing of the headgasket will take place on the dyno before your happy to install the engine into the car.i hope your luck changes soon,love the thread.
I will check the fault and go from there, It could go in the car straight away and be ready for fighting torque at the weekend and if it doesnt blow the gasket again then all good,
I would rather test again on the dyno as you catch the fault straight away with much less risk to the engine rather than on a topspeed run.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

bugger, i had everything crossed for today.

at least things are on the up.

mark/rod - how long is this learning curve going to be?

i mean, if the h/g fails again on the next attempt, will you stick at it or call it a day?

of course as you say pushing the boundaries and trying new things is not an overnight job, but as the rest of the engine has held together so far, the h/g problem is only a 'minor' issue i guess?

fair play and i hope next time, its a goer
Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
bugger, i had everything crossed for today.

at least things are on the up.

mark/rod - how long is this learning curve going to be?

i mean, if the h/g fails again on the next attempt, will you stick at it or call it a day?

of course as you say pushing the boundaries and trying new things is not an overnight job, but as the rest of the engine has held together so far, the h/g problem is only a 'minor' issue i guess?

fair play and i hope next time, its a goer
We will keep at it till its sorted I expect this to be sorted this time,
Rod wants to go back to the dyno as its so close to 800hp so it would be rude not to

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark and Rod,

Well done with the progress so far, and I wish you every success for the future with this project.

However reading through this topic I've got two questions for Mark:

1. Did you measure in any way your internal cylinder pressures with regard to combustion pressure characteristics against crank angle and of course peak cylinder pressures?

2. Why do you consider that 25 degrees ignition at 7.9:1 (assuming correct mapping) was more damaging to the head gasket integrity than 14 degrees at 8.4:1?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
We will keep at it till its sorted I expect this to be sorted this time,
Rod wants to go back to the dyno as its so close to 800hp so it would be rude not to

Mark
top action
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Karl
Mark and Rod,

Well done with the progress so far, and I wish you every success for the future with this project.

However reading through this topic I've got two questions for Mark:

1. Did you measure in any way your internal cylinder pressures with regard to combustion pressure characteristics against crank angle and of course peak cylinder pressures?

2. Why do you consider that 25 degrees ignition at 7.9:1 (assuming correct mapping) was more damaging to the head gasket integrity than 14 degrees at 8.4:1?
Karl

no 1 no measuring, equipment to hard/expensive to get hold of easly maybe sometime in the future
no 2 We see head lift problems on the Evo and Skyline engines running VP import 120rom fuel, You can just keep piling ign in you wont get it to dett so realy its down to me just getting carried away with it.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Hi Mark,

So assuming you are in a non det scenario why do you think that running lots of ignition timing is causing head lift? Do you assume that the cylinder pressure formation is producing too much cylinder pressure pre TDC?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi Mark,

So assuming you are in a non det scenario why do you think that running lots of ignition timing is causing head lift? Do you assume that the cylinder pressure formation is producing too much cylinder pressure pre TDC?
Karl

Yes, running at this power/torque/boost pressure level this fuel does react in this way.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
PF Dave

MD Cos, I think Tommy has taken that principle and modified it further as he of course built a lot of the WRC engines first time round and learned a lot then.

I understand that Jens also uses a Coopers Ring setup and then modified it further to get a proper seal.

Tommy was saying how getting it just right has taken a lot of work as too much or too little clamping force etc and one doesn't seal properly... These are both setups largely with high compression or big bhp and torque YBs and although based on what some would say is a dated idea... both have modified them further to suit their current requirements.

I do understand that without a LOT of ball ache this isn't a quick or easy fix in Mark and Rod's case though...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

dave, i heard it was the light shining off your bald head that made the gasket go last time.

although i may have been listening to the wrong conversation and got my wires crossed
Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Hi Mark,

At this power level and compression ratio, I think measuring the cylinder pressure formation and PCP against crank angle will prove extremely usefull in diagnosing failures and limits of head gasket integrity. I know it adds complexity but ultimately it will help achieve your goal "scientifically" rather than by speculation. Good luck anyway!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I do understand that without a LOT of ball ache this isn't a quick or easy fix in Mark and Rod's case though...
This is the key thing I think a lot of people are missing, Mark is of course aware of many alternatives, but he/rod/etc was hoping that one of the easy to fit gas ring gaskets like used this time would work well enough to get through fighting torque, getting a solution that works isnt particuarly hard if given more time.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi Mark,

At this power level and compression ratio, I think measuring the cylinder pressure formation and PCP against crank angle will prove extremely usefull in diagnosing failures and limits of head gasket integrity. I know it adds complexity but ultimately it will help achieve your goal "scientifically" rather than by speculation. Good luck anyway!
Karl

I am sure it will, But until the whole system is easy to use/rent/buy this type of testing is all we have.

Mark
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

bloody impressive and a damn shame. still live and learn.
when do you think it will go back on the rollers?

joes inlet works well then, he said they would.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 PM
puddy

have you used a solid copper gasket like the petrol burning pro-mods or blown alcy burning

dragsters use ?

puddy
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Was it a Phuzion gasket Chip?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by puddy
have you used a solid copper gasket like the petrol burning pro-mods or blown alcy burning

dragsters use ?

puddy

The problem with those seems to be keeping them reliable on the road, they just dont seem to seal well long term.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
Was it a Phuzion gasket Chip?
I believe so, as im sure Mark said a cometic and I dont think they do two gas ring options for a YB.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

well done anyway lads

Quick Reply: Mad Rod back at the dyno today