General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone had experience/experiences with Brain Surgery?? UPDATED - Coming home today :)

Search this Thread

Old 25-07-2008, 08:51 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had experience/experiences with Brain Surgery?? UPDATED - Coming home today :)

Just found out this morning that my mum is going to have a brain op in september ..... they have found a blood clot on her brain after she had an anogram done yesterday ... and unfortunatley due to her being in her late 40s they cant put a coil in and burst it as she could suffer a stroke. So they are going to have to operate. It is only going to be a small ? shape and only a small bit of hair loss. The bit that worries me the most obviously i cant talk to her as she has enough on her plate is what the potential risks are or any problems after??
So just wondered if anyone has every had experience of this or known anyone had it done. Cheers

on a more positive note she went in for tests to see if she had alzeimers as my nan died of it at 47 and its heridatory but luckily enough it isnt that.. welll i hope its lucky

Last edited by DanCossie; 16-09-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 25-07-2008, 08:53 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

reall sorry to hear this mate, wish her well though
Old 25-07-2008, 09:29 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by rst in progress
Cheers mate i will pass it on
Old 25-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rst in progress

Likewise mate, All the best for her
Old 25-07-2008, 09:39 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

No experience, but I wish your mum all the best, I am sure the surgeons will do a fantastic job and she will be fine, they are very skilled

Z
Old 25-07-2008, 09:40 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
No experience, but I wish your mum all the best, I am sure the surgeons will do a fantastic job and she will be fine, they are very skilled

Z
im putting her through private to get it done asap..and as much as you try and calm her fears i know deep down she is terrified and there is nothing i can do or say.....its a very sort of hollow feeling
Old 25-07-2008, 09:48 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im really sorry to hear that Dan, My dad had a blood clot on the brain when he was 18, if you want info pm me
Old 25-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Kris_23
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sorry to hear this fella, Afraid I cant give any advice but wish her all the best and a speedy recovery.
Old 25-07-2008, 09:50 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by SassyRS
Im really sorry to hear that Dan, My dad had a blood clot on the brain when he was 18, if you want info pm me
Cheers.....i will speak with her after work and if i have anymore questions i will pm ya..
thanks for all the nice words everyone.cheered me up a bit..
Old 25-07-2008, 09:53 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Only natural to be scared and apprehensive, its hard to try to reassure your Mum when you have your own worries too *hug*

Z
Old 25-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Sorry to hear this Dan.

Best person to speak to about this is Tony (NUTS Rus) his mum has gone through the same thing & is on the road to recovery. I can't imagine what your going through but ive seen Tony in some upsetting states & it's not nice.

Wish her well & a speedy recovery mate.
Old 25-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCossie
Just found out this morning that my mum is going to have a brain op in september ..... they have found a blood clot on her brain after she had an anogram done yesterday ... and unfortunatley due to her being in her late 40s they cant put a coil in and burst it as she could suffer a stroke. So they are going to have to operate. It is only going to be a small ? shape and only a small bit of hair loss. The bit that worries me the most obviously i cant talk to her as she has enough on her plate is what the potential risks are or any problems after??
So just wondered if anyone has every had experience of this or known anyone had it done. Cheers
Id imagine there is no such thing as "routine" when it comes to brain surgery, but that does sound at the small end of the scale

on a more positive note she went in for tests to see if she had alzeimers as my nan died of it at 47 and its heridatory but luckily enough it isnt that.. welll i hope its lucky
Fucking awesome news mate, that disease is fucking horrible, its pretty much my worst fear!
Old 25-07-2008, 09:59 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

she'll be in good hands mate, try not to worry, be happy, its been found which is great news, you know where we are though if you need chat or anything
Old 25-07-2008, 11:27 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My mother in law had two fairly large clots removed 4 years ago at the age of 84 and made a full recovery very quickly.....

4 years on she`s fine apart from it slightly accelerating her Parkinsons symptoms...... i`m sure your Mum will be fine Dan
Old 25-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Sorry to hear this Dan, echo what people above have said hope everything goes ok, and she will be in good hands.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:34 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by The Diva
My mother in law had two fairly large clots removed 4 years ago at the age of 84 and made a full recovery very quickly.....

4 years on she`s fine apart from it slightly accelerating her Parkinsons symptoms...... i`m sure your Mum will be fine Dan
Cheers Diva....some great re-assuring words
Old 25-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

shit news mate. chin up though and all the best for your mum
Old 25-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

All the best. Good news about the Alzeimers as well!
Old 25-07-2008, 11:40 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Try to look on the bright side, the fact that it has been spotted and action is going to be taken is a very good thing IMO, i know a few people close to me who have suffered strokes and it's not nice to see.

Obviously surgery carries risks, but i'd be slightly upbeat that it's been diagnosed and they know exactly what to do to fix it.

I hope the surgery goes without complication and she makes a full and speedy recovery!
Old 25-07-2008, 11:44 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Thanks again everyone...she is home now and just relaxing
Old 25-07-2008, 11:50 AM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

dan it is a worrie but the opps now are far better than a few years ago, my mate had this in his twentys and it was a scarry time but made a full recovery with no side effects. and the mrs had to have a brain opp after her accident 4 years ago in total she had eleven opps in seven days the most worrying time of my life but made a full recovery with no side effects at all. i wish you all the best for your mum mate but she will be in good hands chap and will be opperated on by the consultant so the top of his field. and again i'm sure it will go to plan and she will make a full recovery
Old 25-07-2008, 12:00 PM
FE'Z'OE
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Im sure she will be fine, my grandad had the same op when he was 91 and recovered quickly and with no problems. It seems quite common. So clever what they can do nowadays. Your just have to spoil her for a while.

Hope she has a speedy recovery
Old 25-07-2008, 08:14 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear Dan, all the best to her.
Old 25-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Hope all goes well Dan. Worrying times.
Lindsay has a MRI scan again soon to see if she needs to have brain surgery. If so it will involve removing part of her hindbrain... Know what ya going through mate
Old 26-07-2008, 02:56 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Hope all goes well Dan. Worrying times.
Lindsay has a MRI scan again soon to see if she needs to have brain surgery. If so it will involve removing part of her hindbrain... Know what ya going through mate
mate really appreciate your kind words.fingers legs and toes crossed..but she is a tough old girl and i know she willpull through ....cheers for all the kind words
Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Well last week my mum had the op on here brain. And as everyone was kind to wish her well i thought i would let you know how she is getting on.

Well the actual operation was a success and went smoothly, only problem is the scar is now alot larger than before and has lost alot more hair than originally thought..this has really got her down.
It looks like she has had a huge fight with mike tyson and one side of her face is all swollen and black and only managed to open her eye in the last couple of days. She is still in alot of pain and is complaining of a constant headache so is on loads of painkillers and shit loads of Morphine, this however is making her seem very vacant and she is forgetting things and seems to just drift off in her own world.
Last night they took her off Morphine and had a cat scan and we have found out the bruising is worse than thought hence why she is as she is. she also had a kitchen test today which they do before they think of letting someone home unfortunately she failed this too .... its very upsetting seeing her like this and i cant even look her in the eye as dont want to cry in front of her . for those that actually know me i am a really strong person but this is really killing me seeing her like this and dont know if i can see her getting better. but the next days are crucial.
im off there tommorow to talk with the doctors and see what they recommend. all she wants to do is go home but i know its not good for her if she does. My dad has been in everyday but is really struggling too as its frustrates him as you cant talk with her and doesnt have the best patience lol.

anyways enough rabblin from me just wanted to let everyone know and say thanks again for the kinds words of support . Will post in a few days and let you know how she is getting on .
Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if you need anything dan you know where i am, your mum seems a strong character from what ive met of her and no doubt a fight, hold your chin up as i if its just swelling and nothing else then she will get better and being strong for her will make her feel better, but if you need a mate or want a drink or something you know where i am
Old 10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

Good news in a way mate, at least the worst is over and done with, the brain is such a fiddly object that surgeons hate to play around or remove anything, because the system is all linked in a way.

My dad and my fiancee's dad both had brain tumours removed about 5 years ago, coincidence is unbeleivable (but thats another story). Anyway my dad's was removed through his nose, however my fiancee's dad had to have it removed thorugh the top of his skull.

Once the hair grows back, you would never know he had any work done and the constant tests afterwards are common practise, although the medication is unbeleivable ....Steroids etc.

Just keep positive for her sake, make sure she doesn't get to stressed and try and get her out of the hospital ASAP, I have always had the instinct that once someone become's used to hospital life than they struggle to get better. People who want to leave are the fighters that carry on.

Anyway best wishes to you and your family mate!
Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

best of luck dan hope all goes well
Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Chip

Fingers crossed she makes a good recovery mate, scars are a small price to pay, even if it doesnt seem like that to her right now.

All the best to you and your family
Old 10-09-2008, 03:05 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

cheers everyone.
Paul - i am drinkin to much at the min, every night as this is stressin me out so much.
Chip - Cheers mate
Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Chip

Dan, stop all that drinking, not going to be much use to your family if you are trashed.

Easier said than done I know!
Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

my uncle in Canada had a clot in his brain and he is in his 50s. First op was successful and he was recovering well but as he is a restless git he got bored and went out to do some work on his farm and some heavy containers/boxes fell on his head resulting in a second operation. He is now recovering from that and even visited us in the uk a few months back.

It has affected his memory a fair bit almost to the point at times he dont recognise you or remember your name but hopefully that will revert back to normal as he recovers.

On the plus side im grateful he is still here with us as he is a funny fucker.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Dan just seen this post my mum took not well whilst in the car with my sister turned out an annurism had burst untill then none of us had ever heard of & we didnt know just how serious it was.luckily she survived & one of the side effects is a stroke she survived that as well.She got little coils inserted into the annurism & thats been 5 years she is ok(touch wood) but not 100%.Sorry to hear this just be there for her the doctors are great.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Cheers everyone..It is very hard at the moment and started a new job last week and really trying for it not to effect me here also.
Ran - dont worry she is not going back to work again once its done. she wants to do 3 days a week though but lets see.
Chip - it is hard mate but i spose i got to do it for her
Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Good news Dan, Hopefully the next few days will be easy and it gets alot better quick.

Hope your well to mate
Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Good news Dan, Hopefully the next few days will be easy and it gets alot better quick.

Hope your well to mate
Cheers Rads...sorry if i aint called lately had alot on obviously lol...will ring at the weekend
Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

No worries mate
Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers everyone..It is very hard at the moment and started a new job last week and really trying for it not to effect me here also.
Ran - dont worry she is not going back to work again once its done. she wants to do 3 days a week though but lets see.
Chip - it is hard mate but i spose i got to do it for her
o yourself too mate, dont want to become a piss head, wish her better for me though please
Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Course i will Paul

Quick Reply: Anyone had experience/experiences with Brain Surgery?? UPDATED - Coming home today :)