General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

dongle v not having bt phone line?

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2008, 08:14 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dongle v not having bt phone line?

ok anyone thought of doing away with bt and just having a dongle plus your own mobile, im just looking into it to save money? firstly who has a broadband dongle and are they any good, from what im reading there saying there faster then most at home broadband.. are they reliable , i think bt are right rip off merchents as i only have it for my tesco broadband , what do peeps think

andy
Old 20-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

its more expensive, less reliable, adn slower

answer your question?
Old 20-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Crowder
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

agreed keep the bt line! also helps for my job security!!! lol
Old 20-07-2008, 08:30 PM
PGT

dont know whata dongle is but recently got rid of bt as it cost Ł11 per month and the only thing it was ever used for was ringing the mobile to see which room it was left in!. got skpe for that now
Old 20-07-2008, 08:40 PM
RS LOZWORTH
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

im thinking about getting rid of my bt line and doing this as it costs Ł40 a month for line and net and i dont even have a phone!
Old 20-07-2008, 08:50 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

just looked into it and the bigest down side is the down load limit, but as you have all said its also not fast enuff.. im with tesco at the mo and gona look for a better deal, i pay 18 quid for around a 1 meg speed with unlimited downloads, what i dident realise was when you have a download limit it means when your surfing i thought it ment when you download..

andy

Trending Topics

Old 20-07-2008, 08:54 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowder
agreed keep the bt line! also helps for my job security!!! lol

I take it you work for BT then? If that is the case, PLEASE fix my caller ID as it doesnt work. Contacting the useless gom cunts at the other end of the phone at BT is just pointless. by far the WORST customer service myself and all my family have ever experienced!
Old 20-07-2008, 08:56 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by morto
just looked into it and the bigest down side is the down load limit, but as you have all said its also not fast enuff.. im with tesco at the mo and gona look for a better deal, i pay 18 quid for around a 1 meg speed with unlimited downloads, what i dident realise was when you have a download limit it means when your surfing i thought it ment when you download..

andy

I use BT for my line rental, then I pay sky Ł26 a month, thats for broadband, telephone (free evening and w/ends) and sky TV. Now that is a deal
Old 20-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Crowder

Originally Posted by Rich170
I take it you work for BT then? If that is the case, PLEASE fix my caller ID as it doesnt work. Contacting the useless gom cunts at the other end of the phone at BT is just pointless. by far the WORST customer service myself and all my family have ever experienced!
Its either the mapping in the exchange equip to enable to the caller id or its ur monitor mate. i actually had one lying around brand new that i think ive now lost as it happens!!
Old 20-07-2008, 09:13 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well i've got a brand new philips dect phone that should work with caller ID. I do use sky though for my phone service, and BT for my line rental. Should i be contacting BT or sky?

Rich
Old 20-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Crowder

bt should be a simple call to have it activated though how simple the call to india will be im not sure...
Old 20-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a 3 dongle which is great when stuck in a hotel somewhere without wireless as i stay away every other week, but at home i love my 20meg broadband, live streaming on my 3G dongle is a no go off youtube or bbc i player
Old 20-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and im capped to 5gig limit per month with dongle
Old 20-07-2008, 10:50 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

I was considering the same the other day. Just spent 7 weeks in Glasgow living it a hotel, and I was using a laptop connected to my XDA Orbit 2 using HSDPA (ie, 3g net) and was getting ~1.5mb/sec.

At home in Cardiff my net connection is only 1.5m/sec anyway! (Crap line, even though i can see the exchange off my balcony ).

So I have been considering just switching to mobile access, as its unlimited & free on my o2 contract. Having a BT landline sucks when its just for the net.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:03 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I've recently moved house and have gone from 10meg cable broadband to ADSL of upto 8meg with sky so had to get BT line rental, thing is I'm now in a rural village area and the line/exchange only supports upto 512kbps/0.5meg.

So even though some people close by get up to 8meg on their lines I'm paying for both line and broadband on top and getting a speed that actually loads up images on web pages. What a waste of 7.5meg. Pure torture. Guess I'll have to wait for their planned upgrades.

God i miss Virginmedia, takes the piss though as BT hold all the keys to the doors when it comes to adsl type.
Old 21-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skeg
I've recently moved house and have gone from 10meg cable broadband to ADSL of upto 8meg with sky so had to get BT line rental, thing is I'm now in a rural village area and the line/exchange only supports upto 512kbps/0.5meg.

So even though some people close by get up to 8meg on their lines I'm paying for both line and broadband on top and getting a speed that actually loads up images on web pages. What a waste of 7.5meg. Pure torture. Guess I'll have to wait for their planned upgrades.

God i miss Virginmedia, takes the piss though as BT hold all the keys to the doors when it comes to adsl type.
Im in the same boat, albeit with a slightly faster connection speed (should be though! as i live in a town) im limited to 1-1.5MB diue to distance from the exchange

Virgin or Telewest as it was known when i had it is THE best option if youre serious about broadband honestly cant praise them enough since ive dealt with the likes of BT and Tiscali
Old 21-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

since virgin media took over it's all gone shit tho, their traffic shaping is terrible
Old 21-07-2008, 04:00 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Must agree telewest was great, but since virgin the customer support is useless, I have trouble getting the speed I am paying for and they have started capping downloads, But they suit me at the moment until something better comes along.