General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Scart cables over 1.5m. Is it bad? (Now.... hanging a plasma topic.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scart cables over 1.5m. Is it bad? (Now.... hanging a plasma topic.)

Ive noticed most places selling decent quality interconnects dont sell over 1.5m,presumably due to signal degredation. We are uying a new Plasma for front roo and the route through the wall is being plastered on Thursday so i need to allocate the cables ASAP. HDMI 1.3b and The Lan ad power cables are sorted, but... Scart seems to be more of an issue.

Question, when locating your plasma on the wall, how have you conncted your sky+ boxes?

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 10-07-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive built in a panel on the bottom side of the fireplace with , its a little like a plug socket type arrangement or a extention to whats on the back of the tv..... though i aint labeled mine so it was intersting discovering what went where

not sure about scarts though cause i used dvi, 3 hdmi and audio inputs but scart is there should i find a way to test
Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not speaking from experience of using one, but you can get long run Scarts Nicole..

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/listings...rt-Cables.html

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...ead-lindy.html

Maplin.co.uk , Richer Sounds etc. also do them.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

you can run them I'm sure mine is around that length although I probably woudn't buy cheap.

My plan is to get a amplifier with HDMI outputs so that I can plug all my equipment into that and then just have one hdmi cable going to the plasma.

Also could you not get some tubing that you can put into the wall which you run the cables through, that way if you need to replace or upgrade a cable all you need to do is pull the new one through with string.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

thanks, Do any Sky boxes come with HDMi yet?

PS, this is Stu.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant speake for sky,but i had to use 2m hdmi cables to conect my Virgin to the plasma,i had a rainwater down pipe built into the wall to take the cables,i stuck with Virgin as i didnt have to re route the phone socket.
As for long scarts,cant see you loseing much quality over a 1.5m one tbh
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Nicole
thanks, Do any Sky boxes come with HDMi yet?

PS, this is Stu.
Its only the HD box that comes with one of them but you need to pay Ł10 a month on top of the expensive monthly costs, having said that I still pay for the full package but not HD yet

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks guys, will look into it further and click buy it now on one or two items. Plasterer is here Thursday and i clean forgot i had to do this.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

what you trying to acheive nicole? you just want HDTV?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Nicole
Thanks guys, will look into it further and click buy it now on one or two items. Plasterer is here Thursday and i clean forgot i had to do this.
wouldn't look at it too long as its all done my head in for the past year working how I can distribute HD signals around the home without having to spend Ł6k+
Most of my setup is going to be aorund small media centre pc's, and hopefully distribute the sky using cat5 cable yet to try this trick, but it apparently works without losing any of the signal quality

EDITED to say

what equipment have you got?
are you looking to only watch that equipment through that plasma and not distribute it else where in the home?

Last edited by bpspa; 07-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Ordering the new Vierra 46" Plasma. Will be cabled into the gigabit network allready existing in that room for the PS3. Other than that, ive not looked at any othe options.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

very nice, have you got or do you want a surround sound system as that is really the back bone of my system
also you are limited by the connections of the sky box (presume the reason for your installation is to hide all wiring), the tv has hdmi, vga, scart and component at the rear. but the sky box only supports scart and component.
If you didn't want to get an amp just yet I would suggest running both scart and component cables, that way you could pick the one that offers the best quality connection from your sky box, unless you have time to test it all before its all built in, if you will not have access to the wires in the future its probably worth chucking in 1 or 2 hdmi cables for piece of mind

This is my current setup with what I will do once I have found a suitable amp.

media centre optical out into amp, hdmi out has to go the tv at the mo as the amp doesn't support hdmi - but will be hdmi to amp
sky +, optical out to amp, s-video to amp
then s-video to plasma - with new amp will be hdmi
WII just straight plugged into tv, will be looking at getting it through the new amp

From the sky box I will be looking at distributing the signal to each room with a tv, all pc's networked and most probably a nas box for file storage and sharing
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for teh advice. I plan to run:
2x Scart 1.3a cables.
1x scart cable
1x Cat 6 lan cable
1x power cable.

That will give me access to all the most likely used TV rear sockets, however, if you recomend component as a good set too, then i will grab a good set of those from ebay today and run those too.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Stu, no problems with long scart, get a reasonably priced quality one and you won't have any problems, I've used 5m scarts many times.

I'd run as many cables as the plasma will take and then some...

You haven't mentionned any aerial cables, or satellite cables. Many tvs in the future may run internal satellite decoders for things like freesat.
An aerial cable will allow you to watch a freeview channel while sky is recording two

Component is probably not necessary since you've got HDMI, but you only get to do this once, so again, I'd run a set just in case.

No Sky+ box has HDMI, you need sky hd for this. You should be able to get a HD box and not pay the Ł10 for the HD channels, so you have HDMI, but no HD

Finally, if you are planning (or already have) an AV amplifier, most come with switching such that any input (component, s-video, composite, etc...) is converted to HDMI so you theoretically only need run one cable from amp to tv.

Finally (take 2). Run some plastic pipe in the wall along with the cables so that you can draw some other unknown yet kind of cable. Much better than burying them in plaster - see below.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

as frog said best to run more than you actually need to start with, but also do the tubing in the wall so you can upgrade change cables in the future as that will save you a headache.

I know it seems overkill but you will be grateful you did it in the long run
Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Thanks Fellas, this TV has freesat built in and will decode Free HD too, so your right, i am running a Coax cable with it too, but forgot to list it. I will also need to run some form of sat cable as well, which i am on with sourcing now.

Sadly, this isnt a stud wall but a brick one, so running tubes isnt going to be easy. In fact, i havent decided what the hell im going to do with it yet! But i need to do it between now and tomorrow night, which technically, means tonight.

Thanks for teh advice fella,s i really appreciate your time.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Stu - Scart Cables generally cope with the signal very well upto 10m - after that you need a booster of some description
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Thanks for teh advice fella,s i really appreciate your time.
Pleasure stu, I just happen to know some friends who've had a designer remodel their lounge not that long ago, and have buried composite cabling in the wall from the hifi cabinet up to their projector.

They now have a HD projector and prehistoric cabling which can't be changed unless the expensive bepoke wall paper is torn off the wall
Stuck with crap picture quality for the sake of some good design.

If the wall is brick wall, you may be able to create some form of trunking or channel on the wall (thinking shallow wooden box or something), rather than in the wall. It would be on show obviously, but, would be future proof.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

why not raise the wall a little bit stu and have the screen flush with the wall ( which is what i have done ) that way theres no gap at the back either

i used plaster board for mine though and its on the chimney so the heat escapes out there
Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

The wall is a feature wall with 2 bay windows built into it so i cant alter its dimensions at all. The Tv may actually be ever so slightly on teh large side, but the model below looks ever so slightly on teh small side and isnt an award winner, so ive opted for the 46. As i see it, i may just have to run maybe 3 sepoerate channels and lose the wires in there forever, plastered inside some plastic trunking. Not a drama really, its high quality HDMI of teh latest spec so should be quite future proof. We have also opted to paint that wall a seperate colour as a feature wall, so not too much of a nightmare should the worst happen and we have to run a new wire. Plasterer is a drama and a mess, but at least its just a repaint for that one wall.

Will try and find a picture.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

Glad to help out Stu, nice to give something back since I have learnt alot from your fantastic articles in Fast Ford.

Would be good to see a before and after pic of your installation as I'm still looking for ideas on how to mount the plasma and equipment
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I would be upgrading to Sky HD to be honest....

its AMAZING! and well worth the extra. You also get a much bigger hard drive to store stuff on.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Here we go:

That is the Panasonic Vierra 37" Plasma, and as you can see, its an ok size for a room of those dimensions. The 46 is going to fill that bay leaving 5" clearance either side towards the windows, so should fill it nicely.

"If" i ever get it on teh wall, as it sounds as though its been boarded, so, what lies behind? Bloody brick i prey, as these TV's are heavy.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Porkie

its AMAZING! and well worth the extra. You also get a much bigger hard drive to store stuff on.

I need to research what is available on HD Freesat, as this Vierra has it built in mate. But if its not much cop, then yes, Sky HD all the way and im running a HDMI 1.3 just to be sure.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 372 Likes on 347 Posts

Now all you need to do it sort out how to hide those cablesshame it was'nt a chimney breast you could baten out by an inch and where your bracket will fit(if your havin one) plaster board skim job done

BUT U CAN'T

So how about having a Piller upto the TV 18" wide 2" deep and cut the skerting to around at the bottom??

Just an idea which won't take long

Paul
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Porkie

lee i aint got sky HD but i have got virgin HD,,,,, and tbh it aint all that for what i thought, maybe its cause theres hardly any channels that are broadcast in it on virgin

even football/tennis wasnt all that either though wildlife programs was the nuts ( under the sea stuff ) shame i dont watch that sort of stuff apart from to see how good HD is

how many channels is sky HD
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

I need to research what is available on HD Freesat, as this Vierra has it built in mate. But if its not much cop, then yes, Sky HD all the way and im running a HDMI 1.3 just to be sure.
I don't think there are many channels at the moment off the top of my head the bbc, itv and channel 4 but I would expect this to rise and I would expect more channels going this way as the digital switch over gathers more pace, I suppose what I'm trying to say is I would imagine that all of the freeview channels to be available in HD in the future.

On the other side there still aren't very many HD channels on sky, so is it really worth the extra Ł10 a month, but then like someone else posted above get the box but don't subscribe to them until you get value for money, at least then you are taking advantage of the connection on the sky box.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

point the first:

each box is mathed to the card, so you need to phone sky and tell them to match the card you have to the box you have
this will mean you will have to tell them what box you have
this means they will find out you have a hd box
this means they will charge you for teh hd service
the hd box has th channels unlocked already so you can watch them with any card you have in the box regardless of it it's been matched or not, but without a matched box you only get about 20 channels

point the second:

get one if these and you can run 4 hdmi cables to the back and then one to the telly, and the fact that it's fully 1080p ready and able means that the length of cable won't make that much of a difference

Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

one more thing:

i've got one of them boxes to switch and you have to plug the box up with 1, then 2, then 3 then 4 as it won't work if you just plug them in randomly
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Starting to err on the side of the 42" now. Measuring up accurately, the 46" is slightly too big and i absolutely hate rooms with TV's in that are too big. But i feel the 42" may be too small as its only 5" bigger than the one i have. (Only?)

Fooking aggro. Need to buy it on the way home from work too.

To big and potential spoil the room? or too small and be disspointed?

And how much is a SkyHD box nowadays?

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 08-07-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

These guys do big long scart cables and boosters, wall sockets.. the lot hth

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/
Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

the HD is 10quid a month.

thats a big put off. you pay 10quid to get exacly the same channels but a FEW programs will be broadcast in HD. thats not much for your money, you could get all the movie channels for the same price.

once the price comes down or they add more content then i think it'll be worth it
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
the HD is 10quid a month.

thats a big put off. you pay 10quid to get exacly the same channels but a FEW programs will be broadcast in HD. thats not much for your money, you could get all the movie channels for the same price.

once the price comes down or they add more content then i think it'll be worth it
my centiments exactly, thats why I built a media centre to record and pause live tv, stream live tv etc.. plus I have a hell of a lot more storage than any sky box
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Well, been hammering at the fookin wall all night and due to one thing or another, the plan has changed, its going on the stand. I give up. 2 days wasnt enough time.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

And how much is a SkyHD box nowadays?
Ł150 from sky iirc, maybe slightly cheaper on eBay but not by much.

Dojj, not sure that sky would force you to pay for the HD programmes, it's an extra you can take off, just like movie channels. It's not because you call them that they turn everything on (although they will try )
SKY HD mix is additional to subscription, so it's optional, regardless of the box you have.

Freesat HD only (for now) has two HD channels BBC and ITV (ITV isn't on sky).

Sky HD has: FX HD, Rush HD, Sky Movies Premiere HD, Sky Moves Screen 1 HD, Sky Movies Screen 2 HD, Box Office HD, Sky sports 1,2 and 3 HD, Sky one HD, Sky arts HD, Channel 4 HD, BBC HD, Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, History Channel HD.

That's a fair few HD channels tbh, many more than when it first started
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Thanks for all your help everyone, its still of nterest to me because that 37" Vierra is going on teh wall in the back room some time soon, even though i gave up with getting the new one on the wall.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

If i ever get it on teh wall, as it sounds as though its been boarded, so, what lies behind?
Did you find out what was behind ? Decent joists in a stud wall should be well up to the job, maybe requiring a little strengthening. Unless you use very good fixings in the brick wall, I'd sooner have 2" screws in wood than a dodgy wall plug in a brick that's not completely filled with concrete

Mine's fitted onto 2" studs that are attached to a breeze block wall and hasn't shown any signs of movement yet. I also have 12mm MDF boards to give the whole thing more strength though. (Build pics here http://slideshows.scullard.com/plasma/)

Benefit though would be that running cables is a doddle in a stud wall compared to bricks
Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

even though i gave up with getting the new one on the wall.
Something to bear in mind is that most people have their screens too high (mine is for sure). The screen should realistically be at eye level so you're not straining your neck when watching TV.
Old CRTs weren't hung on the wall, and that's not just because they were bulky, it made sense for them to be at eye level.

So, if you're planning on putting your plasma on the wall, think about where you're sitting in relation to it, and you'll probably find it needs to sit lower than you think
Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by frog
Did you find out what was behind ? Decent joists in a stud wall should be well up to the job, maybe requiring a little strengthening. Unless you use very good fixings in the brick wall, I'd sooner have 2" screws in wood than a dodgy wall plug in a brick that's not completely filled with concrete
Yes, a poorly bricked and cemented up chimney that started to crumble the more we hit it with a chisel. Then we got to the concrete vent bricks, followed by the old lime plaster wasnt boned to the brick anymore.

All in all, it looks like if we hammer at it much more we are going to have to remove and re-plaster that wall completely, as opposed to teh simple room re-skim we have booked for tomorrow. Tiem beat me, but i will revisit the plan when we re-decoate next year.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Yes, a poorly bricked and cemented up chimney that started to crumble the more we hit it with a chisel. Then we got to the concrete vent bricks, followed by the old lime plaster wasnt boned to the brick anymore.

All in all, it looks like if we hammer at it much more we are going to have to remove and re-plaster that wall completely, as opposed to teh simple room re-skim we have booked for tomorrow. Tiem beat me, but i will revisit the plan when we re-decoate next year.

On a positive note, despite the amount of work required, sounds like there's plenty of space back there to run some cables though
Maybe even the possibility of small AV shelves or built-in centre spearker in the wall where the chimney was (if I understood correctly).

Quick Reply: Scart cables over 1.5m. Is it bad? (Now.... hanging a plasma topic.)